BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Jordan Zimmermann is off to a great start with the Tigers.  He threw 7 innings of 2-hit shutout ball in the home opener against the Damn Yankees, then the much-maligned (alas, usually justifiably) bullpen completed the 4-0 win.  Miggy's solo HR in the first turned out to be all the offense they needed, though I'm sure glad they got a little insurance!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 08, 2016, 04:14:41 PM
Jordan Zimmermann is off to a great start with the Tigers.  He threw 7 innings of 2-hit shutout ball in the home opener against the Damn Yankees, then the much-maligned (alas, usually justifiably) bullpen completed the 4-0 win.  Miggy's solo HR in the first turned out to be all the offense they needed, though I'm sure glad they got a little insurance!

I doubt even a D3 guy can maintain a 0.00 era for the whole season, but so far he has!  Today he went six shutout innings in Pittsburgh, AND he now has a .500 batting average!

Mr. Ypsi

OMG, Jordan did it AGAIN!  6 more innings of shutout pitching.  3 starts, a 0.00 ERA, and (if the bullpen doesn't blow it - always a possibility with the Tigers :() he'll soon be 3-0 (they're up 2-0 in the 7th).

Bombers798891

So, at this point, we should probably create a thread called "Ypsi Posts About The Tigers", right?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 20, 2016, 10:01:02 PM
So, at this point, we should probably create a thread called "Ypsi Posts About The Tigers", right?

Hey, now, I'm honoring a D3 guy! ;D

If you've got any other D3 guys who have started 3 MLB games this season, are now 3-0, and have an ERA of 0.00, tell us about it. ;)

Bombers798891

I meant that in jest. I'm sorry that didn't come through. I'm all for supporting your team (and D-III) at the same time! I just meant since you also like to post Miggy updates in the Pro Ball section, we should just give you a dedicated spot on the page for all things Tigers!  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 21, 2016, 11:34:42 AM
I meant that in jest. I'm sorry that didn't come through. I'm all for supporting your team (and D-III) at the same time! I just meant since you also like to post Miggy updates in the Pro Ball section, we should just give you a dedicated spot on the page for all things Tigers!  ;)

Oh, I knew you were yankin' my chain. ;)

I know Jordan can't keep his amazing streak going too much longer, but he probably just has one more start in April - it would be cool if he could enter May with a 0.00 ERA! :o

Mr. Ypsi

From the "all good things must end" file:  Jordan Zimmermann added five more innings of shutout ball to his amazing streak, but gave up a run in the 6th, and two more (unearned) in the 7th.  He still went to 4-0, but his ERA 'sky-rocketed' to 0.35! :(  Another streak also ended: my man Miggy's horrible April (he entered the game batting .206) was hopefully resurrected with a 4 for 4 night (2 HRs, a double and a single, 4 RBIs), jumping his average 48 points in a single game. :)

Unless something extraordinary happens, this is probably my last JZ, Miggy, or Tigers post for quite some time. :P

Bombers798891

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 25, 2016, 10:59:27 PM
From the "all good things must end" file:  Jordan Zimmermann added five more innings of shutout ball to his amazing streak, but gave up a run in the 6th, and two more (unearned) in the 7th.  He still went to 4-0, but his ERA 'sky-rocketed' to 0.35! :(  Another streak also ended: my man Miggy's horrible April (he entered the game batting .206) was hopefully resurrected with a 4 for 4 night (2 HRs, a double and a single, 4 RBIs), jumping his average 48 points in a single game. :)

Unless something extraordinary happens, this is probably my last JZ, Miggy, or Tigers post for quite some time. :P

Stay on the train!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 26, 2016, 11:25:53 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 25, 2016, 10:59:27 PM

Stay on the train!

Oh, all right. ;)

Jordan gave up a solo HR yesterday (but nothing else), so his April ERA ended at 0.55 - the third best among starters in Tigers history.  He enters May at 5-0.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 30, 2015, 12:18:37 PM
Jordan Zimmerman (UWSP) has signed with the Tigers, reportedly for 5 years, $110 M.

Pretty good payday for a guy from a public school! :o ;D

As a Tiger fan, I sure hope it works out well.  I worry that his velocity seems on a downward arc, and no particular signs from his stats that he is compensating by becoming 'more crafty'.

So far, at least, my worries were for naught.  This may have been the 'bargain' FA signing of the year! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Well, the stench that is the Tigers' starting rotation finally rubbed off on Jordan. :(  He was far from terrible (3 earned runs in 8 innings), but his ERA doubled to 1.10.  And he fell to 5-1, as Cole Hamels gave up a lead-off single, then no-hit the Tigers for the next seven innings.  Detroit got a meaningless run in the bottom of the ninth to avert the shutout, but Texas won 5-1.

Mr. Ypsi

Once again, Jordan met a guy who (this game) was better than him.  An interesting scenario, as Jordan was facing his previous team, the Nationals, while his counterpart, Max Scherzer, was facing his previous team (with which he won a Cy Young) for the first time.  JZ was again not terrible (though his worst Tigers start so far - 3 earned runs in 7 innings).  But Max (despite entering the game with a 3-2 record and a 4.59 ERA) was back in Cy Young territory - he struck out TWENTY, in a 3-2 Nationals win.

Since Zimmermann has now dropped form a superman April (5-0, 0.35 ERA) to just a very good pitcher (now 5-2, 1.50 ERA), I'll probably stop these updates unless he does something phenomenal.  About time for a complete game shutout! ;D  (If JZ was getting the run support that the Tigers line-up SHOULD provide, he could just as easily be 7-0. :o)

Mr. Ypsi

I didn't give proper credit to Max Scherzer, since I forgot that TWENTY K's in a nine-inning game ties the all-time record.  He joins Roger Clemens (who was no doubt juiced), Randy Johnson (one of my all-time favorites, but a physical freak - he was what, 8'9" tall? :o), and Kerry Wood (who, alas, joined Mark Fidrych and others as almost certain hall-of-famers who were betrayed by their bodies) as only the fourth pitcher to do that - and I guess that makes him the FIRST 'normal' pitcher with an actual career to do it!  Way to go, Max!  But you shoulda stayed a Tiger - then you wouldn't have Jose Iglesias and J. D. Martinez launching homers off you!

Mr. Ypsi

I suppose it was inevitable - Jordan finally had his first bad game as a Tiger.  He was handed a gift-wrapped win when the Tigers got EIGHT runs in the first (7 off rookie Jose Berrios, one off reliever Pat Dean), then proceeded to blow the whole thing.  He left after the top of the 7th, having yielded an 8-8 tie.  The Tigers got a run in the bottom of the 7th (when he was still the pitcher of record); thus he got the win when the bullpen held on for a 10-8 win.

Official scoring can be so cruel (and misleading) sometimes.  Pat Dean took the loss despite being infinitely more effective than Berrios (5.1 innings of 2-run ball vs. 0.2 innings of 7-run ball), while Zimmermann stunk up the joint and gets the win. ::)

ElRetornodelEspencio

Ironic that it came against the Twins, who should have moved heaven and earth to sign a potential ace from relatively close to the Twin Cities.