desertcat1, check your PMs.
TANSTAAFL

catjumper

catjumper

MonroviaCat

Go Cats!

George Thompson

My thoughts on Linfield vs. Redlands:
*   As mentioned on SCIAC site, refs were horrible.    Both teams however committed way too many penalties.

*   Wildcats need to develop a solid running game.    Redlands had 154 yards from their two running backs.   They were not big, but very fast and their offensive line blocked well.     Linfield had 28 yards.     That was the major difference in the end.    This has been a regular problem for Linfield since 2002.    National Champion teams usually have a good running game.    MU, UWW, MH-B.

(Whitworth had the same problem last night.     Chapman 230 yards rushing, Whitworth 31.)

*   Too many long deep passes on first downs.    Most of the time, Redlands doubled covered our deep man.

*   Not enough short 7-15 yard passes to the sidelines.    Those worked well.

Will the spread formation, with no solid running game, ever win a national championship? 
   Yes, it has dominated in the NWC since 2003, but...

Whoever wins our conference will likely be facing Redlands or Chapman in California or traveling east.   Home playoff game is unlikely in the NWC this year.

D.O.C., it was great meeting you finally.    I looked for you after the game, but did not see you.

GT
GO CATS! GO!

umhb2001

Nnoli is injured and not playing for the Cru. Can't assume he would be healthy at Linfield, but he's not helping the Cru.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

D O.C.

Bearcat Press

Quote from: catjumper on September 21, 2019, 06:27:16 PM
And Bearcats.

What a weird, weird game that was.  Although I suppose that some weirdness is bound to happen when you haven't won a home game since October of 2015.

The fumble return for a touchdown should have been called back.  It looked like a fumble from where I was sitting, but unless we're playing by NFL rules, the play should have been blown dead when the ball was picked up by a Willamette player who was lying on the ground.  On the other hand, you play to the whistle, and the whistle never blew.

That said, I've never seen a team as undisciplined as Oxy was--three ejections (one for targeting, two for picking up two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties each) and 16 penalties for 177 yards.  In all honesty, it cost them the game.  On Willamette's game-winning drive, once the Bearcats got to the Tigers' 20, every first down came via penalty.  Then Oxy picked up two more unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the PAT, so Willamette kicked off from the Tigers' 35.  I can honestly say that I've never seen that before.

Watching Jordan Jenkins, a First Team All-NWC basketball player, line up at wide receiver is really fun.  Six of his ten receptions this year have been touchdowns.  Physically, at least, he's the best wideout Willamette has had since Schoettgen.  After taking a nasty helmet-to-helmet hit in the third quarter (the targeting ejection), it was great to see him walking on the sidelines with no visible concussion symptoms.

The Bearcats are better this year--there's no question about that.  One busted coverage aside, the defense looked miles better than it did against La Verne, and the offense is moving the ball pretty well.  Whether that translates into an NWC win or two is a different question entirely, but I do think the games against L&C and UPS are going to be competitive.

Either way, congrats to Coach Parker on his first win.  It's going to take a lot to get the ship turned around, but this definitely felt like a step in the right direction.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

Gray Fox

Bearcat Press, 

Excellent review.
Fierce When Roused

D O.C.

D O.C.

Apparently, you lose - you snooze

CalCat

CalCat

D O.C.

bluenote