FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat11

OxyBob

Quote from: wildcat11 on October 09, 2017, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: Oxy1995 on October 09, 2017, 01:24:21 PM
Here is an email the Oxy football alumni received.
Oxy football is screwed.

What a bunch of cliched and useless blather by the soft, doughy, fake-sensitive college president.

Let me read between the lines: Football at Oxy is finished.

OxyBob

RFB

Oxy response = nothing to see here, move a long.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 01, 2017, 11:01:23 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on October 01, 2017, 10:35:39 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 01, 2017, 09:46:34 PM
There's no 33 in a Top 25.
How about 8th on the "Others Receiving Votes" List?

I am just trying to make olddog as happy as possible..   :-*

Sure, or one could even say "received the 33rd-most votes" but they just aren't ranked.

Redlands has now received the 30th-most votes but are still not ranked in the D3Football Top 25 poll.
Fierce When Roused

smedindy

You can be a academically rigorous small college and still recruit football players who can win games. They are not mutually exclusive.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on October 07, 2017, 07:47:57 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on October 07, 2017, 06:43:18 PM
CMS subdues Oxy 37-0
Box score reads like a scrimmage for CMS; a few  series for the 1st team, then the 2nd team...

I actually watched a few minutes and there couldn't have been more than 20 people in the visitors stands.  This whole ordeal is going to set Oxy Football back at least five TEN years.

Fixed what I wrote a few days ago.  If I received a letter like that from my alma mater I really don't know what I would do.  This entire fiasco has turned into such a circus and I don't see it getting better any time soon.  There is no chance Oxy wins a game this year and unless the new coaches can polish turds like no other, recruiting is going to be an absolute nightmare.  I don't have kids and don't know what it is like to be a parent, but if I had a son on the Oxy football team I would have a really hard time seeing my son go through this kind of experience with college athletics.  The administration should be ashamed of themselves.

DBQ1965

Quote from: OxyBob on October 09, 2017, 05:15:58 PM
Oxy football is screwed.

What a bunch of cliched and useless blather by the soft, doughy, fake-sensitive college president.

OxyBob

Don't give up Oxy fans.  A few decades ago University of Dubuque football was in danger of dying off with a combination of not enough players, a miserable record, and lousy administrative and athletic leadership.  With a strong commitment from the current University President and the AD, the acquisition of good coaching and recruiting, and the generous support of a grateful alum, the Spartans are back on the D3 map, although I will never get used to the annual disappointment of finishing second in the IIAC with an occasional breakthrough and a playoff spot.  It might be a long road back ... and major changes will be  necessary ... but the Tigers can come back.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

OxyBob

Quote from: Jack Parkman on October 09, 2017, 09:49:52 PM
If I received a letter like that from my alma mater I really don't know what I would do.

There is no chance Oxy wins a game this year and unless the new coaches can polish turns like no other, recruiting is going to be an absolute nightmare.

High school players, are you thinking about playing football at Oxy? Here, read this first.

OxyBob

WestCoast CFB fan

Quote from: OxyBob on October 09, 2017, 11:00:04 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on October 09, 2017, 09:49:52 PM
If I received a letter like that from my alma mater I really don't know what I would do.

There is no chance Oxy wins a game this year and unless the new coaches can polish turns like no other, recruiting is going to be an absolute nightmare.

High school players, are you thinking about playing football at Oxy? Here, read this first.

OxyBob

My friends step son plays Junior College ball up in Seattle but is originally from California. He is looking at a few D3 and and NAIA schools and despite Oxy being such a great academic institution my friend said "There is no way I would pay for him to play there. Not to mention he would never want to go there with the state the program is in." It's really laughable considering Oxy is a program with some tradition that it could ever get this bad.

Purple Heys

Quote from: DBQ1965 on October 09, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
Quote from: OxyBob on October 09, 2017, 05:15:58 PM
Oxy football is screwed.

OxyBob

Don't give up Oxy fans.  A few decades ago University of Dubuque football was in danger of dying off with a combination of not enough players, a miserable record, and lousy administrative and athletic leadership.  With a strong commitment from the current University President and the AD, the acquisition of good coaching and recruiting, and the generous support of a grateful alum, the Spartans are back on the D3 map, although I will never get used to the annual disappointment of finishing second in the IIAC with an occasional breakthrough and a playoff spot.  It might be a long road back ... and major changes will be  necessary ... but the Tigers can come back.

Respectfully, there is little chance that Oxy has the chance to replicate what happened at Dubuque.  I watched what happened at Dubuque from my vantage point with a kid going to Cornell during that time.  Dubuque hit the proverbial lottery on their situation.  It is difficult to conceive of that kind of singular support emerging for Oxy and exerting that much influence on that administration.

Oxy does not have the requisite commitment from the University President or the AD.  They are not seeking out the equivalent to Stan Zweifel (and his son), and most importantly they don't have a Joe Chplaty to sugar daddy the program.

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

OxyBob

Quote from: Purple Heys on October 10, 2017, 12:24:42 PM
Oxy does not have the requisite commitment from the University President or the AD. 

It's just the opposite, according to the college president's cliche-ridden letter.

Too bad this board has devolved into talking only about the downfall and coming death of Oxy football. How is the rest of the league doing?

OxyBob

olddog

Quote from: smedindy on October 09, 2017, 06:44:29 PM
You can be a academically rigorous small college and still recruit football players who can win games. They are not mutually exclusive.

Pile on insulting half the general population being so anti-American, your recruiting base shrinks drastically...These liberal colleges are making a huge mistake..., see Chapman grow....
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

olddog

Folks outside So Cal, Oxy's recruiting has been set back big time, very tainted school. If I was the coach I would be reaching out for out of state players to the extent I could.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

USTBench

Quote from: olddog on October 10, 2017, 02:41:21 PM
Folks outside So Cal, Oxy's recruiting has been set back big time, very tainted school. If I was the coach I would be reaching out for out of state players to the extent I could.

Yeah. Pay $67,000 a year to play football for a school that hates you far away from your family.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

smedindy

Quote from: olddog on October 10, 2017, 02:36:14 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 09, 2017, 06:44:29 PM

Pile on insulting half the general population being so anti-American, your recruiting base shrinks drastically...These liberal colleges are making a huge mistake..., see Chapman grow....

Hmmm...don't know if I agree with that. A rigorous education includes debate and discussion where you are presented with opposing viewpoints.

And for the life of me, I don't see "CONSERVATIVES UNWELCOME HERE" in the Admissions area.

Also, students are smart cookies. They know not to go to Liberty, Yeshiva, Hillsdale, or Unity unless they are comfortable with what they are. Being a liberal campus doesn't seem to hurt some schools, like the U. of Washington, U of Oregon, Michigan, or Carnegie-Mellon. (I used the Niche Rankings and they're all in the Top 75).  It certainly hasn't hurt overall enrollment at Carleton (2nd) or Oberlin (3rd).

And you do realize that the protests were in 2015. That horse, it's been flogged to death.

(No one occupied a building when I was an undergrad. We did study the 60's in my Freshman Tutorial - in the winter of 1985. Those times were still pretty fresh on the mind of some of the faculty, and we thought we'd try to occupy Center Hall for funsies, but were talked out of it after we sobered up.)