MIAA

Started by d3fan1, June 11, 2009, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3fan1

I think Calvin is going to start to assert themselves in conference play, and gain another AQ and hopefully another deep run into the national tournament.

Kzoo fan

Kalamazoo has taken over 1st place in the standings, but the race is very tight. 

sflzman

A very surprising result came out of Adrian last night, Alma goes into Adrian and ties the Bulldogs.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Kzoo fan

Kalamazoo Hornets are still in first place!  The team is looking solid.  With Calvin tying Adrian today, K's lead is growing.  MIAA is a strong league all around this year.  GO HORNETS!

sflzman

Yes very strong league top to bottom....

Just look at last year's winless, last-placed Scots...with a new coach, those same old players have not gotten embarrassed all year but one game....

Kzoo fan

After Wednesday, I am cheering for Alma!!

Kzoo fan

In the NSCAA Central Region, how does Olivet stay higher than Kalamazoo, when the Hornets have beat the TWICE?

sflzman

Quote from: Kzoo fan on October 18, 2010, 08:55:30 PM
After Wednesday, I am cheering for Alma!!

How bout now after they've knocked the Hornets out of first?

I really am amazed at how quickly Head Coach Josh Oakley has made this team better, he's going to be turning out program around within the next few years....

I think that with what he will do, combined with the great job our Women's coach, Jeff Hosler, is doing, MIAA women's and men's soccer could turn into Calvin vs. Alma at the top every year.....

Flying Dutch Fan

4 games left in the regular season and 5 teams are within 2 points of first place.  I can't remember the last time the MIAA had any race this close this late in any sport.  Several of the teams (Hope, Adrian, and Olivet) all have the opportunity to win out and and take the Championship.  Calvin and Kalamazoo will both need just a little help.

Side question - if Calvin wins their remaining games, but does not win the league title, do they have a shot at an at large bid (their overall record would be 15-2-3)?
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Adrianfan

Adrian is a very young team! They have the chacnce to make an impact for years to come! Just one senior on the team. The rest are freshman and sophomores. They need to show good against kzoo Saturday.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Adrianfan on October 25, 2010, 02:32:52 PM
Adrian is a very young team! They have the chacnce to make an impact for years to come! Just one senior on the team. The rest are freshman and sophomores. They need to show good against kzoo Saturday.

I hope that is exactly how they are approaching this week - thinking ahead to Saturday's game with the Hornets.  Just don't even think about playing at Hope on Tuesday.

Should be a good game - Hope has some revenge on their minds after losing to the bulldogs 1-0 in Adrian a few weeks back.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Adrianfan

The conference has a lot of parity. with the good competition I would think it will bring more talent to the conference, my son went to adrian from KY.

d3fan1

Congratulations to all the teams in the MIAA. You are playing very well. Congratulations to Adrian for being in 1st place, but there is a lot of soccer left.

If Calvin wins out and does not win the conference, I think they most definatly should get an at large bid!

Adrianfan

how many at large bids are there and how do they determine them?

Dark Knight

It's still an amazingly close race, with only 3-4 games left. There are several really excellent teams in the MIAA this year. This is the most competitive MIAA I can remember.

Two big results yesterday change the top 5 all around, with then-#1 Kalamazoo losing to #6 Trine and Hope beating then-#2 Adrian. The top 5 teams are still within one game of each other, and #6 is only 2 points behind.

Today's postponed Calvin at Olivet game will make another big change. Either Calvin will move from fourth to tied for first, or Olivet will move from third into sole possession of first place. (If they tie, they stay in almost the same place. A tie isn't much better than a loss at this point.)

If Calvin can win at Olivet, they have a good shot at winning out as their remaining three games are against the three bottom teams in the league. Of course, Trine tied Calvin in their last meeting.

Hope still plays Albion, Kalamazoo, and Olivet, two of which have already defeated Hope once. If Hope wins out, they secure at least a tie for first in the MIAA. If they lose again and don't win the conference, their record will be 12-6-2--probably not much chance they would get an at large bid.

Finally, if Calvin and Hope both win out, they'll have the same number of points. What's the tie breaker for the NCAA invitation? The MIAA rules only say this:

Soccer (Men)
The championship shall be based on a point system which awards three points for a win, one point for a tie, and zero points for a loss. League standings shall be determined on the basis of total points accumulated in regular league play. If two or more teams tie for first place at the end of the season, they shall be declared co-champions. The regular season champion will receive the league's automatic berth in the NCAA tournament.