WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsc

Cowgirls won, by ten points or so. :D

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

dsc

...and Laci Walker had her best (ever) game...scoring 23 or 24 points as I recall.
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

Ralph Turner

CUAfan

CUA 74, Huston-Tillotson 81

I think it was the first zone D we'd faced all year (HTU played 1-3-1 most of the game). I'll give HTU's coach credit, she stuck a 5-8 or so girl up top against our 5-4ish point guards. Pretty much wrecked our offense for most of the night.

I'm concerned about how this week is gonna mess with our girls' heads. Three losses by a combined 10 points in the course of six days can't be good for their psychology, especially when the first two were final-minute heartbreakers.
Let's go 'Nados!

HSUats

Quote from: dsc on December 07, 2006, 10:13:04 PM
...and Laci Walker had her best (ever) game...scoring 23 or 24 points as I recall.

I'm very glad laci walker got so much playing time, shes proved her self several times, and hopefully Briggs will see how much of a hardworker she is. i know everyone of these girls personally and know that everyone of them work so very hard. i'm proud of them all

Go Cowgirls

sethhpu

HPU 38 Fisk Univeristy 9 Half

Fisk is shooting 15% from the floor and 11 % from three point land. HPU is shooting 50% form the floor and 20% from three point land. HPU defense is wearing Fisk out.
Defense wins championships

sethhpu

Rob Don

It was a good win for HPU, and an expected win.  Fisk isn't at the level of any the ASC elites.  Still it is a great boost for HPU as they gear up to play the East Div Leader UT Tyler and probably their toughest opponent since beating Trinity.

Good Luck Girls!   :)
Bust some heads...figuratively speaking of course!  ;D

CUAfan

CUA 60, UTD 55

Lookout(:P), we might have a legit post presence on our hands in Jackie Eddins (20 points, 11 rebounds). I want to see how she does when she has to face Tarra Richardson on Jan. 13.
Let's go 'Nados!

sethhpu

New polls out today has McM at 9 and HPU at 12, while HSU is at 14. Not sure if I agree with McM and HSU switching spots. I'll admit McM got a good win and should move up in the polls but 5 spots? I know it will change again but I'm sure the trip to Tejas that Pat made helped publicize McM considering his rankings of the state he made. It will be interesting to see how HPU plays both teams in late January.

Ralph Turner

Seth, Pat Coleman saw HPU and Meia Daniels as well.  Did you hear the podcast with Coach K?

The Tour de Tejas fell together very nicely (for HPU's sake) for Pat.  There were several components to it.

1)  Ranked Miss College men were at McMurry/HSU that weekend. (Thursday)
2)  Trinity and Southwestern were in town this weekend.  (Friday/Sunday)  Trinity Women were ranked in the pre-season.
3)  Since there was no Quarterfinals football game at UMHB, HSU, Trinity or another Texas venue on Saturday, he could take in another basketball game.  So the Ranked HPU women were next up, in Brownwood!
4)  The HSU-McMurry rivalry games, which he got to broadcast.  He has described the HSU-McM rivalry as the "most fervent" rivalry of the intra-city rivalries in all of D3.  That is a feather in the cap for Abilene.  When he sees that HPU women and HSU women played before 1500 fans, then he knows what that means.

He saw 8 schools, 16 teams and 10 games.  He had never seen 5 of the schools in person.  He picked up 3 new venues for basketball: Brownwood, Georgetown and San Antonio.

The idea behind the Tour de Tejas was to give him a very good idea of the quality of basketball that we play.  That gives more validity to the rankings, so that when HPU plays the other two teams, he will have a very good idea of the quality.

This seems to have been a real win/win/win for the ASC, the SCAC and Texas D3 basketball.

As for the rankings, he just flipped McM and HSU.  HPU is still in the hunt and climbing when another/higher-ranked team loses a game it should not lose.

dballa

Ralph on your last point about moving higher when a higher seed loses.  Mary Washington and HSU both got beat and moved back behind HPU but HPU didn't move up.  McMurry and Messiah both moved up ahead of HPU.  So a losing team ahead of you doesn't always mean you'll move up, unfortunately.

sethhpu

Ralph I do know Pat was at HPU, I had the privilege to talk to him. My point is that I think Pat has a big influence on voters, especially since he saw the teams in person. He saw HPU play a sloppy game and it was a blowout, hard to tell how good a team is when you see that. He saw McM play twice and once agaisnt the number 9 team in the nation. What if McM had only played once and blew that team out would they still jump 5 spots? His Texas rankings touted McM women as the top team, and he may be right. Now you will probably say the quality of opponents is better for McM, and your right. I just think McM jumping 5 spots is a little much considering HPU stayed where they were after convining wins.

sethhpu

I agree with you Ralph that it did help shed some light on Texas basketball. Hopefully the ASC gets some good recognition in the future from the visit.