FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPU3619

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 04, 2014, 08:56:24 AM
Old Pal please tell me you were not up til 2:18 am breaking down film in order to reply to a wisecrack remark I made about the HSC offense.

Nope. I work thirds. Just part of my normal day.

Also, thanks for the new sig line wally. haha.

sigma one

Back in the late 1990s Ohio Northern put their stud QB in the protective wall for the punter, opening up the potential for a short snap to him.  Their punter was an all-American WR, Vagades (I think it's spelled). They also put their all-American running back, Robertson (who later played pro ball in Europe and spent some time in the NFL), as a gunner, to complicate things even more.  A nightmare thinking that the QB and Robertson might hook up with all that open field ahead, or the QB might roll out and hit a tight end, or a number of other options.
     Two weeks ago in a local high-school game, the home team passed for a TD on the final play of the game.  Still trailing by one point, they lined up in the Swinging Gate for the PAT.  Their QB was the holder, and the formation placed the center on the end of the line.  QB throws to center, who was also a WR in real life, for the two-point conversion.  Game over; one point win.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 04, 2014, 06:10:22 PM
And while I'm in the mood to stop dancing around the special teams for a moment, it's probably worth mentioning that H-SC does a weird thing in some 4th down spots where they'll leave Nance in to punt.  I'm sure Wabash will get this look.  What that's going to do is effectively prevent Wabash from putting any kind of block or return on which shouldn't be dismissed- punt block/return is a big part of Wabash's game.  I don't know how smart it is to have your AA quarterback messing around on special teams (check that, I do know and it's not smart), but that's a thing they'll do.

Its a quick kick Wally. They don't drop him back 15 yards and have him kick it. Ask Old Pal Wes he's seen enough film. 

Bashdad nice. I get it, lots of tongue in cheek regarding Nash.  The best thing about Nash Nance is not the fact he's the first player in ODAC history to go for over 4000 yards in a season, not that he was directly responsible for 44 TDs, it's the fact he's just a great guy. He's a leader that came to HSC with fan expectations higher than 99.9% of D3 football players and he's humbly lived up to these great expectations with a HUGE spotlight on him.  He's a special player and a special guy whose decision to come to HSC has been a blessing to not only HSC, but to D3 football.  Having said that he's also a stone cold assassin. 

Now let me discuss the rest of your post.

I doubt HSC players have been sitting around praising one another for having taken the lead into the 4th quarter against Linfield anymore than the Wabash players have been praising each other for having finished 2nd in the 16th rated football conference in D3 according to D3football.com.  Yes HSC had a very bad loss last year to Shenandoah. It was just SU's 2nd year in the conference.  I might be wrong but I think instead of adding SU they considered adding Allegheny, Hiram, Oberlin, or Kenyon.  However, in the end the ODAC decided they wanted a team that could actually provide competitive games and went with SU.

Winning the conference championship in the 9th rated conference sounds a heck of a lot better than winning 9 games against a bunch of bad football teams and then getting stomped at home in the game they new matter most. (Sorry Depauw). Even the guys in the NCAC that should know Wabash the best aren't united in thinking Wabash will win the crown this fall. 4 NCAC coaches voted for Whitt to win the championship again this year.

Speaking of Wittenberg YOUR NCAC CHAMPION. They too received a favorable first round game only to get destroyed against the then 3rd ranked Mt. Union.

Are the players and fans not to be happy for having won the ODAC championship last year?  Hell no. Is HSC to apologize for winning its first round playoff game to an 8-2 Maryville?  Hell no!  Should they be proud of their efforts for having traveled 2500 miles to play a very competitive game against the 2nd rated team in D3? Hell yes. You belittle the accomplishments of the 2013 HSC team and yet praise the 2014 version of the 2013 Wabash that in the end accomplished much less.

Your guys may whip HSC.  If they do they will earn it.

Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

ExTartanPlayer

You know how I know this game is going to be heated?  I've taken karma dings from fans on BOTH sides today. I'm friggin Switzerland here, guys. I have no dog in this fight! I'm just trying to present arguments on both sides!

(My gut feeling genuinely is that Wabash wins, but I think a key for Wabash will be staying the course with their game plan regardless of the score at the end of one quarter. Don't get suckered into a passing game if HSC hits a couple of big ones early. Keep pounding it with those two beastly RBs and try to grind it out)
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

USee

I will qualify my comments with the fact that I am a CCIW fan (Wheaton is my rooting interest for those who didn't know--and I confess I like Randolph-Macon, HSC's rival, because their HC is a Wheaton alum). In exploring my assertion that the better defense wins in week one I find the following facts enlightening (depending on your rooting interest!  ;) )

HSC returns 6 starters on a defense that was ranked #23 in the country in 2013. They gave up 4.1 yards per play and 32 TD's in 12 games (2.7 TD's per game)

Wabash returns 9 starters on a defense ranked #1 in the country in 2013 (which kind of makes the number of seniors a moot point). They gave up 3.5 yds per play and 16 TD's in 10 games (1.6 TD's per game)

Those numbers are a worthy comparison but here is what really stood out to me:

Wabash ranked #1 in Turnover margin. Ranked #3 in the country in takeaways and #25 in giveaways. Thats a +2.4 average

HSC ranked #167 in Turnover margin. Ranked #56 in takeaways and #212 in giveaways. That's a -0.4 average.

Together that's right at about a +3 average in favor of Wabash on Turnover margin. I like the team with 9 starters back on the #1 defense with the #1 turnover margin who forced 5 turnovers in their scrimmage against my Thunder last week. I know they play in a relatively weak conference but 166 spots in the rankings does not equate to the 9th ranked conference over the 16th ranked conference. I have see the LG Defense live and they are as good as any defense in the top 5 in the country. If HSC's offense is better on Saturday, they will certainly have earned it. My money is on the top D. (Go Pedro!)

Li'l Giant

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 04, 2014, 06:10:22 PM
I don't know how smart it is to have your AA quarterback messing around on special teams (check that, I do know and it's not smart)

Um. Yeah. It's not good.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 04, 2014, 10:22:01 PM
I doubt HSC players have been sitting around praising one another for having taken the lead into the 4th quarter against Linfield anymore than the Wabash players have been praising each other for having finished 2nd in the 16th rated football conference in D3 according to D3football.com. 

As if the ODAC is some power conference?

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 04, 2014, 10:22:01 PM
Yes HSC had a very bad loss last year to Shenandoah. It was just SU's 2nd year in the conference.  I might be wrong but I think instead of adding SU they considered adding Allegheny, Hiram, Oberlin, or Kenyon.  However, in the end the ODAC decided they wanted a team that could actually provide competitive games and went with SU.

You're making crap up here, sir. There's no way any of those schools were ever candidates to join the conference. Shenandoah, on the other hand, has been trying to get in for a long time.

Can you guys get this game played already? The bull**** level of these posts is amazing.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

DPU3619

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 04, 2014, 06:59:16 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 04, 2014, 06:48:53 PM
I don't love the idea of using the starting QB as the real punter, but I do see the merit in deterring a punt block attempt by putting your QB back there and basically forcing you to play every fourth down in some sort of "safe" punt defense.  Pros and cons.  Bring it out for the big games, I guess.

It's risk/reward.  If you're in 4th and 7 at midfield, maybe you can catch the defense in the wrong look and get yourself a first down.  But if not, and you kick, and a return does happen, and now your AA quarterback is a defender without the usual protections and niceties typically afforded quarterbacks...well, now anything can happen.  Is it worth maybe possibly torpedoing your season-THIS season with all kinds of potential- for a cheap first down?  It's a remote possibility, sure.  But that's not even on the table if you take your medicine and just punt the thing away.

I'd probably put a block in vs this look anyway. Obviously you take a big risk if you call that in the game, but if you're at a point where you're either desperate or going for the dagger, it'd be worth trying to get a free shot on him.

EDIT: Just to go on record, I'm going around 21-10 or so for the final prediction. Wabash O does what Wabash O is wont to do - grinds a couple drives out, maybe hits a home run or two. Wabash probably scores or sets up at least 1 score defensively. If the specials get crazy, Wabash probably tacks another 10 or 14 on to that number. It's a pretty good HSC D, which y'all discussed earlier. I don't think either side is up around 400 yards. You win these type games in stat categories other than total yards. Nobody better at that than ER. Zero Wabash turnovers means a Wabash win, I think.

HSCTiger fan

Tarten - no ding from me.

Usee - Good post.  Makes sense.  Turnovers will be critical to both teams.

Pat - is the ODAC a power conference? No but at least according to your own website it's a top 10 conference. HSC did win it which is better than finishing 2nd in the 16th rated NCAC. Yes I did make up the ODAC team considerations. I know I'm full of bull. Still it's a lot of fun. Thanks for providing the boards and all the effort it takes to run the D3 Sports Network.

Old Pal Wes - in 140 regular season games under Coach Favret HSC has scored more than 10 points 135 times. They have only been held to less than 10 once in their last 71 regular season games.  That was last season against CNU. A game in which HSC turned the ball over 8 times. If Wabash only scores 21 HSC will win.  The LGs will need 28 with a 3+ in turnovers to win. Anything less - they lose. Offense may typically lag behind defense early in the season. Over the last 14 season openers under Coach Favret HSC has averaged 37 points.   7 times having scored 42 or more points and never been held to 10 or less points.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 05, 2014, 01:12:57 AM
Can you guys get this game played already? The bull**** level of these posts is amazing entertaining.

Fixed for you, sir.

The HSC bit about Nash Nance reminds me of a commercial series we've all seen:

Cuba imports cigars from Nash Nance. Mosquitos refuse to bite him purely out of respect. In museums, he is allowed to touch the art.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 05, 2014, 07:06:32 AM
in 140 regular season games under Coach Favret HSC has scored more than 10 points 135 times. They have only been held to less than 10 once in their last 71 regular season games.

In how many of those 140 games were they playing a defense that resembles Wabash's unit?  I'm guessing about 5?

;)
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

wally_wabash

This has been a fun week.  This game has a 2nd round playoff feel to it.  The quality is there.  The unfamiliarity is there.  There is a very real sense that winner will have accomplished something a little bit extra.  This isn't your average non-conference game and it's been fun to read and research and get familiar with a new team.  Can't wait to see this thing play out tomorrow. 

Over the last 14 season openers under Coach Favret HSC has averaged 37 points.   7 times having scored 42 or more points and never been held to 10 or less points.

Lifting the fog of uncertainty off of this statement, what it means is that H-SC is a lot better than Averett.  Which means about as much as Wabash being a lot better than "Allegheny, Hiram, Oberlin, or Kenyon."  Can't have it both ways, friend.  Blowing out bad teams is relevant or it isn't (it isn't). 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

D3MAFAN

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 05, 2014, 09:00:03 AM
in 140 regular season games under Coach Favret HSC  has scored more than 10 points 135 times. They have only been held to less than 10 once in their last 71 regular season games.

In how many of those 140 games were they playing a defense that resembles Wabash's unit?  I'm guessing about 5?

;)

Note: These are stats based on D3Football.com History going back to 1999. Christopher Newport - 2013 (7 points), Johns Hopkins - 2009 (7 Points), W&L - 2006 (6 points), Bridgewater (Va.) - 2002 (7 points), Randolph Macon - 2003 (7 points), and in 1999 they lost 9 games and 6 of those games they were held under 10 averaging 5.18 points. Also, note that the Randolph Macon game in 2003, they won 7-0.

DPU3619

Old Pal Wes - in 140 regular season games under Coach Favret HSC has scored more than 10 points 135 times. They have only been held to less than 10 once in their last 71 regular season games.  That was last season against CNU. A game in which HSC turned the ball over 8 times. If Wabash only scores 21 HSC will win.  The LGs will need 28 with a 3+ in turnovers to win. Anything less - they lose. Offense may typically lag behind defense early in the season. Over the last 14 season openers under Coach Favret HSC has averaged 37 points.   7 times having scored 42 or more points and never been held to 10 or less points.

One of us is going to look pretty silly at 4pm Saturday. For my sake, I hope it's the guy that guarantees the best defense in America surrenders 28.

Pat Coleman

Pat - is the ODAC a power conference? No but at least according to your own website it's a top 10 conference.

Congrats on being in the top 10 of 27. Just touting "Top 10" means you really don't understand where the tiers of conferences break down in D-III and you just hope to dazzle us with a number.

That's like a lot of your posts, actually.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.