MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sflzman

Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

wiz

Quote from: sflzman on May 20, 2019, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: sac on May 20, 2019, 01:32:53 PM
They're refinishing and repainting the floor at Alma.  Looks nice.

https://twitter.com/AlmaScotsWBB/status/1130509095109369857

Too bad the "A" is still upside down 🙄
That's why Hargraves went to Olivet, where the "O" is never upside down.

Jameswys

Quote from: wiz on May 20, 2019, 03:11:49 PM
Quote from: sflzman on May 20, 2019, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: sac on May 20, 2019, 01:32:53 PM
They're refinishing and repainting the floor at Alma.  Looks nice.

https://twitter.com/AlmaScotsWBB/status/1130509095109369857

Too bad the "A" is still upside down 🙄
That's why Hargraves went to Olivet, where the "O" is never upside down.

😂😂

It can be sideways in the student sections though.
Olivet '05

TUAngola

Non basketball news in the MIAA....Trine women's softball defeated SUNY Geneseo in the Super Regional last Saturday to earn a trip to the College World Series starting this Thursday.  The final out of the game has made national news, it was #9 on the ESPN top ten list on Sunday.  I've pasted a link below.  I was watching the game behind the left field fence and it even had me fooled.  I love "trickeration".  :o  You'll have to watch the clip a few times to figure it out, even the Trine play by play guy had no clue what had just happened.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/this-is-the-greatest-hidden-ball-trick-youve-ever-seen/ar-AABDAoX?ocid=spartanntp

wiz

Quote from: TUAngola on May 20, 2019, 07:35:13 PM
Non basketball news in the MIAA....Trine women's softball defeated SUNY Geneseo in the Super Regional last Saturday to earn a trip to the College World Series starting this Thursday.  The final out of the game has made national news, it was #9 on the ESPN top ten list on Sunday.  I've pasted a link below.  I was watching the game behind the left field fence and it even had me fooled.  I love "trickeration".  :o  You'll have to watch the clip a few times to figure it out, even the Trine play by play guy had no clue what had just happened.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/this-is-the-greatest-hidden-ball-trick-youve-ever-seen/ar-AABDAoX?ocid=spartanntp
Gutsy move!  Congratulations to Trine for moving on.

Jameswys

Quote from: TUAngola on May 20, 2019, 07:35:13 PM

That's awesome! Congrats to Trine on advancing. That's twice the MIAA has made the top ten in 2019.
Olivet '05

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: calvinite on May 17, 2019, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: Bilk on May 17, 2019, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: calvin_grad on May 17, 2019, 08:41:05 AM
Quote from: Bilk on May 16, 2019, 07:34:26 PM
All faculty/ coaches teach, some staff/ coaches teach. All staff/ coaches have additional duties. No one at Calvin is a full-time coach.
What classes does Ryan Souders, head soccer coach at Calvin, teach?  I believe that Calvin has changed their policy and some, but not all coaches, do not teach.
I did a little checking. This academic year Souders team-taught IDIS W32 The Leadership Code, he's also in charge of athletic recruiting and acts as a liaison between admissions and athletics.
IDIS W32 is an ungraded, 3.5 week interim course that was co-taught.

I am quite sure the coaching rule was adjusted prior to his hiring. He's coached for seven seasons - that times out about right.

As I have written here before - coaches hired in the recent history of Calvin are no longer required to carry a full teaching load as well as full-time coaching. Those who were still there (Ross, KVS, etc.) where required to still teach - they were grandfathered into the new rule.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 03:35:00 PMCalvin has NOT had a full-time assistant at least through the KVS era.
Wasn't Christner full-time faulty while a men's assistant?

You are confusing full-time assistants ... and an assistant who is also a full-time faculty member. I am talking about a full-time assistant whose job is pretty much to be a basketball assistant. A full-time faculty member who is also is a coach ... has things they have to focus on as a teacher.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 03:35:00 PMConsider he was teaching (basically full time),
What do you base that on?
[/quote]

What? The fact KVS was a full-time faculty member and full-time coach? The fact he was a full-time faculty member and a full-time coach. Are you arguing otherwise? The school rearranged his teaching schedule the year he was DIII MBB Championships Committee Chair so that he would have less classes to teach in the spring semester so he would have more time to focus on the committee. They loaded an extra class or two on the fall semester. That's pretty well known.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 03:35:00 PMThe fact new head coaches of teams are no longer teachers (at least for new hires; coaches under the former policy are still teaching)
All faculty/ coaches teach, some staff/ coaches teach. All staff/ coaches have additional duties. No one at Calvin is a full-time coach.
[/quote]

That is not true from what those at Calvin tell me. Now, they may have some administrative duties to help off-set the "books," but that's not an unheard of thing.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Knight2Day

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 21, 2019, 12:37:17 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 03:35:00 PMCalvin has NOT had a full-time assistant at least through the KVS era.
Wasn't Christner full-time faulty while a men's assistant?

You are confusing full-time assistants ... and an assistant who is also a full-time faculty member. I am talking about a full-time assistant whose job is pretty much to be a basketball assistant. A full-time faculty member who is also is a coach ... has things they have to focus on as a teacher.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 03:35:00 PMConsider he was teaching (basically full time),
What do you base that on?

What? The fact KVS was a full-time faculty member and full-time coach? The fact he was a full-time faculty member and a full-time coach. Are you arguing otherwise? The school rearranged his teaching schedule the year he was DIII MBB Championships Committee Chair so that he would have less classes to teach in the spring semester so he would have more time to focus on the committee. They loaded an extra class or two on the fall semester. That's pretty well known.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2019, 03:35:00 PMThe fact new head coaches of teams are no longer teachers (at least for new hires; coaches under the former policy are still teaching)
[/quote]

[/quote]

When I was at Calvin in the relatively recent past and from everyone I've talked to, KVS taught classes like jogging and weightlifting, not exactly microbiology or Constitutional Law when it comes to the responsibilities for grading and course instruction...

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: Knight2Day on May 21, 2019, 12:50:30 PM

When I was at Calvin in the relatively recent past and from everyone I've talked to, KVS taught classes like jogging and weightlifting, not exactly microbiology or Constitutional Law when it comes to the responsibilities for grading and course instruction...

My academically rigorous Calvin transcript actually includes courses taken from Ralph Honderd (PE 104), Ed Douma (golf), and Kevin VandeStreek (weightlifting). Based on the timing of when they were teaching at Calvin, my guess is there aren't too many other alumni who can make that distinctive claim.

wiz

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on May 21, 2019, 01:57:54 PM
Quote from: Knight2Day on May 21, 2019, 12:50:30 PM

My academically rigorous Calvin transcript actually includes courses taken from Ralph Honderd (PE 104), Ed Douma (golf), and Kevin VandeStreek (weightlifting). Based on the timing of when they were teaching at Calvin, my guess is there aren't too many other alumni who can make that distinctive claim.
I had Vroon for hiking, Tuuk for badminton and Steen for the heck of it.

TUAngola

Trine commit:   Connor Jones      6'3 G      Danville HS     Danville Indiana.

Was a one time D1 Northern Kentucky commit.  Not sure what happened with that offer whether it was rescinded or not.  On the "top60" list of Senior HS basketball players in the State of Indiana.  So far I am liking this class coming in.     

HupHolland

Quote from: TUAngola on May 21, 2019, 04:40:12 PM

Was a one time D1 Northern Kentucky commit.  Not sure what happened with that offer whether it was rescinded or not.  On the "top60" list of Senior HS basketball players in the State of Indiana.  So far I am liking this class coming in.   
The old NKU coach just took the job at Cincinnati. I'm assuming he de-committed and/or the new coach decided to get his own players and rescinded it.

TUAngola

Quote from: HupHolland on May 21, 2019, 05:15:19 PM

The old NKU coach just took the job at Cincinnati. I'm assuming he de-committed and/or the new coach decided to get his own players and rescinded it.
Thanks for the update HupHolland. 

ziggy

Quote from: HupHolland on May 21, 2019, 05:15:19 PM

Makes me wonder if Trine will end up as a one-year holding place for him.