WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Roundball999 on December 31, 2018, 06:19:13 PM
After they were thumped by Thomas More I questioned whether Hope was as strong as I thought. But after solids wins during the holidays over a very solid Oglethorpe squad and handing UW Oshkosh its first loss, I am thinking that yes Hope is very good and Thomas More is quite outstanding. 

The Flying Dutch jump right back into it Wednesday with a crucial league game hosting Trine.  Even though it's the first league game, it should establish the clear MIAA team to beat.

IMO (with no offense to Bowdoin), I think Thomas More is CLEARLY the #1 team in the country.  Bowdoin is destroying their opponents, but with the exception of Mass-Dartmouth (their only win by less than ten), they appear to be a bunch of tomato cans.  Thomas More is destroying some VERY good teams (Hope, Chicago, Wheaton, DePauw, Whitewater, etc.), and ALL on the road!  If you gave me even odds on TM vs. the field for the national title, I'd lean towards TM (though only a very modest wager - a title requires good health and good luck, in addition to skill).

Roundball999

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 31, 2018, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: Roundball999 on December 31, 2018, 06:19:13 PM
After they were thumped by Thomas More I questioned whether Hope was as strong as I thought. But after solids wins during the holidays over a very solid Oglethorpe squad and handing UW Oshkosh its first loss, I am thinking that yes Hope is very good and Thomas More is quite outstanding. 

The Flying Dutch jump right back into it Wednesday with a crucial league game hosting Trine.  Even though it’s the first league game, it should establish the clear MIAA team to beat.

IMO (with no offense to Bowdoin), I think Thomas More is CLEARLY the #1 team in the country.  Bowdoin is destroying their opponents, but with the exception of Mass-Dartmouth (their only win by less than ten), they appear to be a bunch of tomato cans.  Thomas More is destroying some VERY good teams (Hope, Chicago, Wheaton, DePauw, Whitewater, etc.), and ALL on the road!  If you gave me even odds on TM vs. the field for the national title, I'd lean towards TM (though only a very modest wager - a title requires good health and good luck, in addition to skill).

I haven't seen Bowdoin play but you won't get any argument about TM from me....

TUAngola

I've only seen the Trine WBB team play a couple times so far this year.  Big first game after the new year tomorrow night at Hope.  The biggest difference I've seen in Trine this year is the production they've lost at the Center position.  Hayley Martin was such a defensive force inside and was also the 2nd leading scorer.  Soph Shay Herbert starts and is spelled by Frosh Kelsey Taylor.  They both avg 5 pts a game, but don't defend or rebound as well as Hayley.  This isn't the same Trine team as the last 2 years.  Yes they are still pretty good, but going up against a really good and deep Hope team in their barn is going to be tough to pull out a W.  Also we are coming off a loss to Transylvania in their Holiday tournament, and I'm not sure what the status of Cassidy Williams is as the starting swing player did not play at all, not sure if she was injured in the previous game or battling illness.  If she doesn't play then it will be a long night as she is the leader on the floor. I have Hope winning by 15-20.

Roundball999

Quote from: TUAngola on January 01, 2019, 07:32:30 PM
I've only seen the Trine WBB team play a couple times so far this year.  Big first game after the new year tomorrow night at Hope.  The biggest difference I've seen in Trine this year is the production they've lost at the Center position.  Hayley Martin was such a defensive force inside and was also the 2nd leading scorer.  Soph Shay Herbert starts and is spelled by Frosh Kelsey Taylor.  They both avg 5 pts a game, but don't defend or rebound as well as Hayley.  This isn't the same Trine team as the last 2 years.  Yes they are still pretty good, but going up against a really good and deep Hope team in their barn is going to be tough to pull out a W.  Also we are coming off a loss to Transylvania in their Holiday tournament, and I'm not sure what the status of Cassidy Williams is as the starting swing player did not play at all, not sure if she was injured in the previous game or battling illness.  If she doesn't play then it will be a long night as she is the leader on the floor. I have Hope winning by 15-20.

Well I didn't buy into the victory margin your projected, thinking Massey's predicted 4 point margin was more likely, but neither did I see the thrashing Trine laid on Hope coming either!  Nice job by the Thunder.  Sometimes the ball just goes in the hole but seems to me that good ball movement by Trine and some atypical defensive lapses by Hope contributed to Trine's great shooting %.  Hope will have to improve its own shooting and fix the defense if it hopes to win the rematch.

bballforever

I was at the game and was very impressed with Trine defense and ability to stop Hope runs.

Hope seemed disinterested in playing any defense at all or beating Trine down the court to at least attempt to defend.

gordonmann

I've watched Hope twice and they really struggled to generate offense inside the three-point arc, other than dumping it to Buchanan and letting her use her favorite post move (back the player down, spin to her right and shoot with her left hand). Granted, that was against Thomas More and Oshkosh which have unusual size and depth at forward. Did Hope have the same problem last night against Trine?

dykstraj@hope.edu

Someone needs teach them how to make a 2 foot put-back off the backboard.

TUAngola

Quote from: Roundball999 on January 03, 2019, 11:37:53 AM
Quote from: TUAngola on January 01, 2019, 07:32:30 PM

Well I didn't buy into the victory margin your projected, thinking Massey's predicted 4 point margin was more likely, but neither did I see the thrashing Trine laid on Hope coming either!  Nice job by the Thunder.  Sometimes the ball just goes in the hole but seems to me that good ball movement by Trine and some atypical defensive lapses by Hope contributed to Trine's great shooting %.  Hope will have to improve its own shooting and fix the defense if it hopes to win the rematch.

My margin of victory prediction was factoring Williams not playing last night.  I still thought that Hope would win even with a healthy Williams, by 5-10 pts.  I'm just as shocked as everyone else by the outcome.  I caught a little bit of the 2nd half on video, by that time Trine had a healthy lead.  Sounded like we were shooting lights out thru 3 quarters, then survived a mini Hope run in the 4th, but the Trine lead was a little too insurmountable for Hope to come all the way back.  I have a question for you Hope fans, why did Buchanan only play 20 minutes last night?  I thought with her experience and talent she'd be on the floor 30-35 minutes in big games.  Is she battling an injury?  She wasn't in foul trouble, so when I saw the box score and saw she only played 20 minutes I wasn't sure why.

bballforever

Checking schedules for tonight's games to watch and noticed Brittany Berry, former Hope player, interim coach at Olivet?

Anyone know anything? 

Roundball999

Quote from: bballforever on January 09, 2019, 10:44:11 AM
Checking schedules for tonight's games to watch and noticed Brittany Berry, former Hope player, interim coach at Olivet?

Anyone know anything? 

Interesting, had heard she was coaching but didn't know where.  She was one of the most entertaining D3 WBB players I ever saw.  Outstanding 3 point shot (one year led the nation in 3 pt %, all divisions I believe) and at least once a game would draw gasps from the fans with a pinpoint no-look pass through a crowd.  Wish her well, except against Hope :)

Flying Dutch Fan

She's been on the Oliver staff for a couple years - I think the interim thing might be new
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sac

Like, today new

bballforever

Hope Calvin women this weekend!!!  Not as much excitement as in the past but still plenty.

Thinking back on the history and can't help but think of the final second shot by Calvin to win MIAA.  Big crowd, lots of twists and turns then the shot. 

Jameswys

Congratulations to intrim Head Coach Brittany Berry on her first MIAA win. Olivet beat Kalamazoo 50-44 on the road this afternoon. 
Olivet '05

Roundball999

Quote from: bballforever on January 11, 2019, 06:50:47 AM
Hope Calvin women this weekend!!!  Not as much excitement as in the past but still plenty.

Thinking back on the history and can't help but think of the final second shot by Calvin to win MIAA.  Big crowd, lots of twists and turns then the shot. 

Pretty much a wire to wire win for Hope, but Calvin never allowed the Dutch to get comfortable.  Calvin played great D and most of Hope's younger players had tough shooting nights, maybe also feeling the pressure of the Rivalry and it seems Hope almost never shoots well at Van Noord.  The difference was that Hope senior All American Frankie Buchanan had a huge night with 25 pts on 12-18 shooting and 13 rebs including 6 on the offensive end.  Hope had 10 more offensive rebs than Calvin and fewer turnovers, resulting in 15 more shot attempts.  In a game where both teams played strong D and shooting percentages were low, the extra attempts made the difference for Hope.

Gabby Timmer was very good and is going to have an outstanding career at Calvin.