Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Respectfully, Sul Ross State is scarlet and gray.

Pat Coleman

As Keith said:

"Using the data on D3football.com's team pages, I boiled all the names down to the colors they appear to be to the naked eye."
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 16, 2011, 08:07:37 PM
As Keith said:

"Using the data on D3football.com's team pages, I boiled all the names down to the colors they appear to be to the naked eye."
Okay...   :)

Sul Ross State D3football home page.

D3football.com Link to Official Site

hazzben

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 16, 2011, 08:07:37 PM
As Keith said:

He also admitted the list might be incomplete or slightly inaccurate in places and then welcomed our input. I wasn't trying to nitpick, I was simply letting Keith know about a team he missed from his list. Which is what he asked us to do.

Pat Coleman

I wasn't directing my comments at you, hazzben, sorry for the confusion.

Looks like I need to get out and see your team this year, and soon. They are rolling!
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 17, 2011, 09:52:31 AM
I wasn't directing my comments at you, hazzben, sorry for the confusion.

Looks like I need to get out and see your team this year, and soon. They are rolling!

No worries.

I've been relegated to the webcasts since moving down to KC, but I'll be attendance for the Oct 1 game against the Oles. They usually give us a very good game (they matchup better against us than they do agains the Toms IMO). But if I was you, I'd wait a few weeks for UST. Hopefully we're still rolling at that point!

Pat Coleman

Ironically, I ended up there for the fourth quarter yesterday because of the way things ended up.

hazzben

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 18, 2011, 04:46:16 PM
Ironically, I ended up there for the fourth quarter yesterday because of the way things ended up.

That was one weird game. I don't think I've ever seen a game where both teams had a punt hit a blocker on the return and get recovered by the opposition, both in the redzone. Whole game just seemed to have a strange vibe to it. I will say, I have a ton of respect for Ramler as a coach. His schemes and the fundamentals of his players are always solid, even if he doesn't always have the horses to go toe to toe with everyone.

Did you take in the 1st half of UST then? Was there more to it than the score or was UST just that much superior to Olaf?

Pat Coleman

No, actually I started the day at Northwestern/Presentation, just to see what Presentation has. But at halftime I had to call an audible and get to what could have been a bigger story.

K-Mack

Re: the colors, Hazzben is right, I asked for the feedback.

I think originally I grouped red and Cardinal with the reds, and almost everything else with the maroons.

I mistakenly put Scarlet with the maroons. Got the same note from Huntingdon as Ralph posted re: Sul Ross.

Anyway, since we're all having fun crowd sourcing, check out the bottom of the new column. I want to discuss best team names in D-III
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on September 22, 2011, 02:08:19 PM
Re: the colors, Hazzben is right, I asked for the feedback.

I think originally I grouped red and Cardinal with the reds, and almost everything else with the maroons.

I mistakenly put Scarlet with the maroons. Got the same note from Huntingdon as Ralph posted re: Sul Ross.

Anyway, since we're all having fun crowd sourcing, check out the bottom of the new column. I want to discuss best team names in D-III
I appreciate the information and the effort to which you went to write the article.  :)

hazzben

Tom Linneman in the most recent Around the Nation:

QuoteI would also tell players to spend at least the amount of time you spend studying for a class in the film room — or even more. That probably drives administrators nuts but it's reality if you want to win. I got my job because of the connections I made playing football. Are you gonna get your job based on your English 212 Writing Well class?  If you're never surprised on Saturdays you have a better chance to win and a better chance to make adaptations and adjustments. But it's not just about watching film. It's not about having the tape on the big screen and eating Twizzlers or Gardettos with your feet up. It's about deliberate study. You won't be prepared if you think that somehow ambiently you'll understand how they're rolling their safeties or which cornerback has better hips and breaks on the ball. You have to go into a room and study it with INTENT. Coaches talk about practicing with purpose on the field but then it's lounge time in film—not if you want to use it to the fullest. Deliberate study is another separation between you and the other player.

Really  :o So much for the student-athlete in DIII. Share with me how that's any different from the mentality taken at DII and DI institutions?

I'm absolutely with him on his prior comment regarding 'swag' and playing to win. I'm in total agreement on the difference between watching film and studying film. He hits the nail on the head with preparation and practicing like you want to play on Saturday.

But I think what he says about the greater commitment to football than academics is garbage. Wonderful that you got a job because of a Johnnie football connection Tom. But the vast majority of students get their jobs because they care about their studies. Players get into med school, law school, grad school and land great jobs because they've put in the work in school. They've got strong gpa's and letters of recommendation. And yes, a journalist or editor may just get a job because of how they do and what they learn in an English class. The same way an accountant may get a job or an internship because of their grades and what they learned in accounting class. The chemist in organic chemistry, etc, etc. In today's economy, there are actually a lot of students graduating into a job market where they can't find a job. How they prepare and the impression they make on profs who can help write a strong recommendation goes a long way.

I mean, are these primarily athletic institutions or academic institutions. Yeeesh! I think college sports are actually a great way to learn discipline in school that carries over into the classroom. I think its garbage when athletes don't put in the time necessary to compete just because its DIII. But those are also the players and programs that usually don't see the field or the playoffs. But this is DIII. 99.9% of us are never going pro and taking school seriously is exactly what I hope your average DIII player does.

Bombers798891

Quote from: hazzben on September 23, 2011, 12:00:51 AM

QuoteI would also tell players to spend at least the amount of time you spend studying for a class in the film room — or even more. That probably drives administrators nuts but it's reality if you want to win. I got my job because of the connections I made playing football. Are you gonna get your job based on your English 212 Writing Well class?  If you're never surprised on Saturdays you have a better chance to win and a better chance to make adaptations and adjustments. But it's not just about watching film. It's not about having the tape on the big screen and eating Twizzlers or Gardettos with your feet up. It's about deliberate study. You won't be prepared if you think that somehow ambiently you'll understand how they're rolling their safeties or which cornerback has better hips and breaks on the ball. You have to go into a room and study it with INTENT. Coaches talk about practicing with purpose on the field but then it's lounge time in film—not if you want to use it to the fullest. Deliberate study is another separation between you and the other player.

Really  :o So much for the student-athlete in DIII. Share with me how that's any different from the mentality taken at DII and DI institutions?

I'm absolutely with him on his prior comment regarding 'swag' and playing to win. I'm in total agreement on the difference between watching film and studying film. He hits the nail on the head with preparation and practicing like you want to play on Saturday.

But I think what he says about the greater commitment to football than academics is garbage. Wonderful that you got a job because of a Johnnie football connection Tom. But the vast majority of students get their jobs because they care about their studies. Players get into med school, law school, grad school and land great jobs because they've put in the work in school. They've got strong gpa's and letters of recommendation. And yes, a journalist or editor may just get a job because of how they do and what they learn in an English class. The same way an accountant may get a job or an internship because of their grades and what they learned in accounting class. The chemist in organic chemistry, etc, etc. In today's economy, there are actually a lot of students graduating into a job market where they can't find a job. How they prepare and the impression they make on profs who can help write a strong recommendation goes a long way.

I mean, are these primarily athletic institutions or academic institutions. Yeeesh! I think college sports are actually a great way to learn discipline in school that carries over into the classroom. I think its garbage when athletes don't put in the time necessary to compete just because its DIII. But those are also the players and programs that usually don't see the field or the playoffs. But this is DIII. 99.9% of us are never going pro and taking school seriously is exactly what I hope your average DIII player does.

Like you, I'm upset as his implication that doing well in actual college classes is less important to getting a job than playing football. What an absurd statement. Are you going to get a job based on you ability to write a coherent sentence? Nah, just tell 'em you played ball, and they'll hook you up. That's a dangerous piece of advice to give players.

Look, I don't doubt that there absolutely is a group of people who get and give jobs based on things like playing football. But, to take something he said earlier in the column, you play D-III football. Get over yourself. Here's something athletes and sports fans seem to have a hard time understanding: Not everyone cares about sports. There are millions of people who have zero interest in the game of football, and could care less that you played. And there are also quite a few people who do love sports but have this crazy idea that they should hire the people who are qualified to do the job.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bombers798891 on September 23, 2011, 08:48:06 AM
Quote from: hazzben on September 23, 2011, 12:00:51 AM

Like you, I'm upset as his implication that doing well in actual college classes is less important to getting a job than playing football. What an absurd statement. Are you going to get a job based on you ability to write a coherent sentence? Nah, just tell 'em you played ball, and they'll hook you up. That's a dangerous piece of advice to give players.

Look, I don't doubt that there absolutely is a group of people who get and give jobs based on things like playing football. But, to take something he said earlier in the column, you play D-III football. Get over yourself. Here's something athletes and sports fans seem to have a hard time understanding: Not everyone cares about sports. There are millions of people who have zero interest in the game of football, and could care less that you played. And there are also quite a few people who do love sports but have this crazy idea that they should hire the people who are qualified to do the job.

It's been Pep's observation over the years that the rigors and disciplines of football not only helps student-athletes in their academic pursuits, but also results in well-rounded individuals who, together with their academic learning, acquire the character that makes them highly desirable as employees, and, therefore, well qualified for a job in their field.

As for team colors, Pep believes that Alfred was listed as purple and yellow, but, in harmony with the fight song lyrics,"Purple and gold proclaim Alfred's royalty" and, going back to that student body decision in 1874, it's always been "royal purple and gold." And, as far as original and cool nicknames, Pep thinks one can't match the Saxons!

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bombers798891

Quote from: AUPepBand on September 23, 2011, 09:20:31 AM

It's been Pep's observation over the years that the rigors and disciplines of football not only helps student-athletes in their academic pursuits, but also results in well-rounded individuals who, together with their academic learning, acquire the character that makes them highly desirable as employees, and, therefore, well qualified for a job in their field.

If you want to say that there are things you can learn through sports that will aid you in your career, this is certainly true, but the original statement was not saying that. As Hazzben put it, one of the things so many of us love about D-III sports is the different mentality our schools seem to take towards the importance of academics in an athlete's life. Most student athletes ARE going to get a job based on how they do in their classes. Playing football isn't going to help you if you can't string two sentences together. (And really, of all the classes he could have picked, he picked writing, a skill that is valued by nearly every employer? I know plenty of employers who will throw out resumes with mistakes in them--or ones that are simply poorly written.

As a current professor, I have taught a few athletes, and thankfully, none of them followed that advice and slacked off in the classroom because they were banking on their athletic abilities to secure them a job. If faced with a student who believed that, I'd want to have a serious talk with them.