FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

I'm going to predict this will be one of those games the offenses outplay the defenses. Although I haven't watched Central as much as Wheaton, I get the feeling Central can adapt to defensive styles/skills. I'll go w Central putting up 31.

WashedUpCard

Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 24, 2021, 07:56:09 PM
Quote from: WashedUpCard on November 24, 2021, 06:42:03 PM
Regarding the NCC-Wheaton result - I think there is something to be said about two teams being ultra-familiar with one another.  Both teams knew exactly what to expect coming into that game (within reason).  I think you saw the same thing play out in the UWW-UWL game.

I don't see Central hanging 41 on Wheaton.  If they do, I'll donate 100 bucks to the charity of your choosing.
That familiarity must be it. I kept looking at it and wondering how two such strong offenses could be held to so few points.

My favorite charity is the Central College football team.  ;D  But you could send the money to D3football.com. They make all our sputtering about how good our team is possible after all. They may not be a charity, but you don't need the tax deduction anyway.

Wheaton has a great rush defense, the best we played so far was against Wartburg who averaged giving up 74 yds rushing per game. Yeah, yeah, I Know Wheaton gives up about half of that. We rushed for 159 yds against them. I think our O-line is better than most you have played this year, so I can see Central with roughly 100 yards rushing on Saturday. Guess the rest just has to be passing, where Wheaton isn't as strong.

I always need tax deductions... but I'll happily flip Pat $100 on Patreon if Central scores 41 or more. 

Just for the record I'm not down on the Dutch.  What they have accomplished this year is very, very impressive!  I know how exciting it is to watch a QB like Hawkins put up gaudy offense numbers - us NCC folks had the pleasure of watching a few of our QB's do the same.  I have also seen this Wheaton defense hamper a typically explosive NCC offense this year and in years past.  Wheaton's defensive line is so much more than just run stuffers... they are powerful, athletic and quick.  Can Central win this game?  Sure!  I just have a hard time seeing them scoring more than 40.  If Central can rush for over 100 yards, as you mentioned, it would go a long way to helping them secure the victory. 

It should be an exciting Saturday in Pella.  It looks like it might rain... I hope you stay dry and enjoy the game!

Schipper Strong

I sense the game winner could well be the winner between Central's run defense and Wheaton's pass defense.  :-\

Central's rush defense is rated 73rd giving up 108.4 per game. Wheaton's passing yards allowed is 121st giving up 209.6 per game.

Schipper Strong

I well remember what Wheaton's defensive line was like from 2 years ago. I probably would not have projected 41, but I saw what we did last week against Bethel. The guys are lazer focused and playing with a ton of confidence. That was not the case 2 years ago. This is a very different team from 2 years ago. I would say that is true in every aspect of the game. I saw a lot of posts as to which O/D line for Wheaton was better between this team and 2019. Central has no such questions. We are better in every facet of the game. I almost excluded kicking as Alberts was extremely accurate for Central. Logan Sunvold is also doing a tremendous job of kicking. The difference is in kickoffs. If he wants a touchback he buries it. If he wants to avoid a deep receiver he kicks it short. If he wants to make it hard to handle, he does. That is a new aspect to our defensive effort. If you watch a Central kickoff and think the kick isn't that long or it's a squib kick, it was likely intentional.

Next Man Up

Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 25, 2021, 12:22:29 AM
I sense the game winner could well be the winner between Central's run defense and Wheaton's pass defense.  :-\

Central's rush defense is rated 73rd giving up 108.4 per game. Wheaton's passing yards allowed is 121st giving up 209.6 per game.

Basically, what I was getting at previously. Central's rush defense and Wheaton's pass defense are probably the weak points of their respective games. Consequently, whichever of these two units most exceeds it's usual level of play might prove to be the difference in the game.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Schipper Strong

Happy Thanksgiving one and all! Today I am thankful for so many blessings this year has brought. Great family and friends. Good health while working in an emergency room during a pandemic chief among them. I am also thankful to have switched to a work from home position at the same hospital and having the opportunity to still fill in at the ER when I choose to do so. I am thankful that Central is still playing football and there are finally posters on the ARC board beside Doolittle Dog and me!

If you are coming to town for the game, come on Friday and enjoy our Dutch hospitality and quaint town. Tour the windmill and Central's campus. Jaarsma Bakery and either meat market are fantastic. Liberty Street Kitchen is great for upscale dining, Cantoritos is a great Mexican restaurant. Int Veld's, the Bread Board, and Smokey Row are good choices for sandwiches. George's is good pizza and steak. I have heard Nana's table is good, but can't personally vouch for it. The Windmill works for brunch before the game. Enjoy it early, Dutch hospitality ends at noon.

Schipper Strong

Quote from: Next Man Up on November 25, 2021, 12:54:12 AM
Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 25, 2021, 12:22:29 AM

Basically, what I was getting at previously. Central's rush defense and Wheaton's pass defense are probably the weak points of their respective games. Consequently, whichever of these two units most exceeds it's usual level of play might prove to be the difference in the game.
I got what you meant, just putting the stats out there for the suggested areas of play that may be key. Hawkins is a very intelligent QB who seems to be able to read defenses well. He will want to speed read on Saturday, but still great at reading defenses. I would love to see Central try to get him on the coaching staff if he isn't playing football somewhere next year.

Fannosaurus Rex

I am trying to handicap Saturday's game and, as a Central fan, I have found an un-mentioned source of hope even though so many of the same guys from the disappointing 2019 game will be squaring off again.  It looks to me like much of Blaine Hawkins' passing success depends on his delicate "touch." The last time these two teams played, he probably couldn't feel his fingers. I was at that game and nearly froze my oliebollens.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody and Go Dutch!
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

Schipper Strong

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on November 25, 2021, 11:24:42 AM
I am trying to handicap Saturday's game and, as a Central fan, I have found an un-mentioned source of hope even though so many of the same guys from the disappointing 2019 game will be squaring off again.  It looks to me like much of Blaine Hawkins' passing success depends on his delicate "touch." The last time these two teams played, he probably couldn't feel his fingers. I was at that game and nearly froze my oliebollens.

;D ;D ;D way to get out of making a prediction. 53 and partly cloudy great weather for the game. Me? I have a $100 donation riding on 41 points. D3football wins either way, but I am planning on a Washed up Card paying.

Fannosaurus Rex

I will make two predictions and wager a pint of lumpy mashed potatoes and gravy.  The first one is recycled from the Bethel game, that the winner will be the first team to block a kick. Central used to be pretty good at it. It is disturbing now to see it is a Wheaton specialty. The second I pull out of...well you don't want to where I pull it from, that the loser will be the first team penalized at least 45 yards.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

WashedUpCard

Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 25, 2021, 11:50:11 AM
Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on November 25, 2021, 11:24:42 AM

;D ;D ;D way to get out of making a prediction. 53 and partly cloudy great weather for the game. Me? I have a $100 donation riding on 41 points. D3football wins either way, but I am planning on a Washed up Card paying.

You got it!  Happy Thanksgiving, Schipper!

Schipper Strong

I pay if we don't score 41, but I feel good about it.

USee

Why do you feel good about it? Because Central has scored over 50 on everyone? Because Wheaton, who hasn't given up even half of that with its first team D, hasn't seen an offense like Central?

I am not saying Wheaton will win, but 41 is a lot of points agains this defense and if Central does that, I would think they will probably win. I can't find a rational argument to explain why they will though. By the way, Bethel was down several Defensive starters and was ranked 66th in defense. Wheaton is playing with the same 22 that started the season, which is the first time in my memory that has happened. Central also appears to be playing with all their pieces. Both of these teams have multiple year starters playing on Saturday.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on November 25, 2021, 12:22:29 PM
I will make two predictions and wager a pint of lumpy mashed potatoes and gravy.  The first one is recycled from the Bethel game, that the winner will be the first team to block a kick. Central used to be pretty good at it. It is disturbing now to see it is a Wheaton specialty. The second I pull out of...well you don't want to where I pull it from, that the loser will be the first team penalized at least 45 yards.

Sounds good. You are on. If you are right on both. predictions, I will send a pint of lumpy mashed potatoes and gravy to the d3football.com offices.  If you are wrong, you do.

Schipper Strong

Quote from: USee on November 25, 2021, 02:28:34 PM
Why do you feel good about it? Because Central has scored over 50 on everyone? Because Wheaton, who hasn't given up even half of that with its first team D, hasn't seen an offense like Central?

I am not saying Wheaton will win, but 41 is a lot of points agains this defense and if Central does that, I would think they will probably win. I can't find a rational argument to explain why they will though. By the way, Bethel was down several Defensive starters and was ranked 66th in defense. Wheaton is playing with the same 22 that started the season, which is the first time in my memory that has happened. Central also appears to be playing with all their pieces. Both of these teams have multiple year starters playing on Saturday.
I know there may seem no rational reason looking at Wheaton to feel that we will be that successful in scoring. It is called belief in this team with a touch of rose tinted glasses. I have no problem sticking my neck out for this team. I actually am surprised everyone is content with my projection of 28 points for Wheaton. Why isn't anyone defending the high scoring offense? I suspect we have a better chance of scoring 41 than holding them to 28, but that seems to not raise questions. I think our odds of winning are better if we hold them to 28 than if we score 41. I will happily take both though.  ;)