FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etchglow

Welp... Bye Belhaven!

https://twitter.com/usa_south/status/1462813223640571904

Edit:

Not being flippant, it doesn't surprise me either honestly.  I believe I discussed how they're an outlier in the conference a few pages ago.  Football wise, it saves them the 900 mile trip to play Sul Ross every other year, but the ncaa mileage calculations actually show a larger average distance to their new conference mates. 

It is going to be even more fun finding non-conference games now.  With Belhaven leaving for the 2022 season that means we need 18 non-conference games to keep the 10.  I suppose as long as we keep enough teams to retain the ASC's AQ it won't be the end of the world (as long as you win the conference)...  But, it'll be interesting to see how things play out.  This year the SAA was supposed to be half of the non-conference games with two teams (HSU and Sul Ross) playing non-d3 games. 

crufootball

Quote from: D3fanboy on November 22, 2021, 12:12:42 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 22, 2021, 11:38:30 AM
Now everyone in the ASC has to find another out-of-conference game for at least a couple of years (assuming Centenary (LA) ends up in the ASC in 2024) - starting next season.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  There's gotta be couple of Schools for the Blind or Barber Colleges around TX that UMHB and HSU can put on the schedule

If want to throw shade at HSU for their non conference schedule be my guest but UMHB has played legit top 10 teams that required plane trips. Our last 2 non conference opponents haven't turned out to be great for SOS but when scheduled they both more than respectable programs.

Etchglow

Quote from: crufootball on November 22, 2021, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: D3fanboy on November 22, 2021, 12:12:42 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 22, 2021, 11:38:30 AM
Now everyone in the ASC has to find another out-of-conference game for at least a couple of years (assuming Centenary (LA) ends up in the ASC in 2024) - starting next season.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  There's gotta be couple of Schools for the Blind or Barber Colleges around TX that UMHB and HSU can put on the schedule

If want to throw shade at HSU for their non conference schedule be my guest but UMHB has played legit top 10 teams that required plane trips. Our last 2 non conference opponents haven't turned out to be great for SOS but when scheduled they both more than respectable programs.

Don't feed the troll, if we ignore them they might go away...

justafan12

Quote from: Etchglow on November 22, 2021, 01:19:03 PM
Welp... Bye Belhaven!

Edit:

Not being flippant, it doesn't surprise me either honestly.  I believe I discussed how they're an outlier in the conference a few pages ago.  Football wise, it saves them the 900 mile trip to play Sul Ross every other year, but the ncaa mileage calculations actually show a larger average distance to their new conference mates. 

It is going to be even more fun finding non-conference games now.  With Belhaven leaving for the 2022 season that means we need 18 non-conference games to keep the 10.  I suppose as long as we keep enough teams to retain the ASC's AQ it won't be the end of the world (as long as you win the conference)...  But, it'll be interesting to see how things play out.  This year the SAA was supposed to be half of the non-conference games with two teams (HSU and Sul Ross) playing non-d3 games.

I would think this makes Centenary a lot more attractive to ASC when they start up football.

Etchglow

Quote from: justafan12 on November 22, 2021, 03:43:23 PM
Welp... Bye Belhaven!

Edit:

I would think this makes Centenary a lot more attractive to ASC when they start up football.

Yeah, that is in 2024 I think?  I wonder if NAU (North American University) is looking for a division?  They were scheduled to scrimmage HSU and had an exhibition against Sul Ross this year.  I think they're in their 2nd year of football?  Although, they played a mix of D1, D2 and D3 teams this year...

D3fanboy

Quote from: Etchglow on November 22, 2021, 03:50:01 PM
Quote from: justafan12 on November 22, 2021, 03:43:23 PM
Welp... Bye Belhaven!

Edit:

Yeah, that is in 2024 I think?  I wonder if NAU (North American University) is looking for a division?  They were scheduled to scrimmage HSU and had an exhibition against Sul Ross this year.  I think they're in their 2nd year of football?  Although, they played a mix of D1, D2 and D3 teams this year...

Lol

Ralph Turner

What never made sense to me was why Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth thought that their mission and vision for intercollegiate athletics was more akin to the NAIA than the NCAA, but when they left D2, they spent a season in the ASC and decided to move on. They were known for their intercollegiate strength in Ping Pong. Seriously, Ping Pong.

Maybe they did not want to offer the full compliment of sports, altho' they had Hoops, Baseball and Soccer for Men. I do not remember many of the women's sports other than VB and Hoops.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 22, 2021, 05:40:43 PM
What never made sense to me was why Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth thought that their mission and vision for intercollegiate athletics was more akin to the NAIA than the NCAA, but when they left D2, they spent a season in the ASC and decided to move on. They were known for their intercollegiate strength in Ping Pong. Seriously, Ping Pong.

Maybe they did not want to offer the full compliment of sports, altho' they had Hoops, Baseball and Soccer for Men. I do not remember many of the women's sports other than VB and Hoops.

Table tennis, Ralph.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Etchglow

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 22, 2021, 05:46:50 PM

I didn't even know that was a college thing!  Went to their website and they have 48 people on the roster for table tennis :O. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 22, 2021, 05:46:50 PM

Hey, it's cheap!  LOL

CruFrenzy

Round 2 Predictions

Linfield 41 @ St. Johns 27

From what I can tell this Johnnie squad is a pretty large step behind where they were in '18 & '19, which is understandable with the weapons they had to replace and Linfield seems to have the best team they've fielded since 2016. I'll also predict that the winner of this game will play in the national semi finals this season.  :o

Birmingham-Southern 7 @ UMHB 31

Yes, I'm aware BSC played Trinity in a very tight game and could've won that game. This is a different matchup though and I don't think BSC has the same caliber defensive unit and I also think we'll see the cru open it up a bit more offensively. Should be a fun one!

DePauw 13 @ Wis-Whitewater 42

Whitewater will be up 3 or 4 scores by the half and put it in cruise control.

Wheaton 42 Central 41

Central has a heck of an offense, but I don't think it will be quite enough to get the job done against the Thunder. I've got this one down as potentially the most exciting game of the weekend..

Muhlenberg 13 @ Delaware Valley 27

Muhlenberg puts up a fight but Del Val's defense gets the job done when needed ..

Johns Hopkins 34 @ Mount Union 45

Fun playoff rematch but this time in round 2 as we see Mount without Kehres.. will be fairly competitive but Mount never comes too close to losing control of this one.. Raiders advance

RPI 27 @ Cortland 31

Cortland's fantastic season continues though they are tested by a tough RPI squad..

Wis-La Crosse 24 @ North Central 35

This game is potentially the matchup that features the two best teams which is unfortunate with it being a second rounder. La-Crosse's only two losses this season have come against #1 seed UWW and Division 2 championship contender Grand Valley State in a competitive game. In the end, North Central is still King of the land and will have too much firepower...
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

Cowboy2

Quote from: CruFrenzy on November 22, 2021, 10:11:53 PM
Round 2 Predictions

Linfield 41 @ St. Johns 27

From what I can tell this Johnnie squad is a pretty large step behind where they were in '18 & '19, which is understandable with the weapons they had to replace and Linfield seems to have the best team they've fielded since 2016. I'll also predict that the winner of this game will play in the national semi finals this season.  :o

Birmingham-Southern 7 @ UMHB 31

Yes, I'm aware BSC played Trinity in a very tight game and could've won that game. This is a different matchup though and I don't think BSC has the same caliber defensive unit and I also think we'll see the cru open it up a bit more offensively. Should be a fun one!

DePauw 13 @ Wis-Whitewater 42

Whitewater will be up 3 or 4 scores by the half and put it in cruise control.

Wheaton 42 Central 41

Central has a heck of an offense, but I don't think it will be quite enough to get the job done against the Thunder. I've got this one down as potentially the most exciting game of the weekend..

Muhlenberg 13 @ Delaware Valley 27

Muhlenberg puts up a fight but Del Val's defense gets the job done when needed ..

Johns Hopkins 34 @ Mount Union 45

Fun playoff rematch but this time in round 2 as we see Mount without Kehres.. will be fairly competitive but Mount never comes too close to losing control of this one.. Raiders advance

RPI 27 @ Cortland 31

Cortland's fantastic season continues though they are tested by a tough RPI squad..

Wis-La Crosse 24 @ North Central 35

This game is potentially the matchup that features the two best teams which is unfortunate with it being a second rounder. La-Crosse's only two losses this season have come against #1 seed UWW and Division 2 championship contender Grand Valley State in a competitive game. In the end, North Central is still King of the land and will have too much firepower...

I won't even begin to pick scores. I agree with most of these predictions. However, I think Central and JH will play spoiler...... If they show up and haven't already thrown in the towel. I think those are two offensive units that could go score for score with the opponent. Now if it's a defensive battle, then they'll both lose.

Cowboy2

I'd like to see BSC do well. However, they're a running team. I think UMHB will be too big and fast upfront for them to get the running game going.

#1 is a tall, very fast threat at WR. If they put someone (#2 SS)  over the top of him, and keep a spy on the QB, they should be able to bottle up #3 with the rest of UMHBs defense.

I think offensively they will do about as well as Trinity did, but flip passing and rushing statistics. BSC is a running team so they will be tough in the trenches. Wouldn't be surprised if they sprang a couple of nice runs if they get a block or two.

Defensively I think they will do pretty darn well too. I think they may break down late in the game, but it will depend how their secondary does against the pass. They have a strong box, but I think Trinity has a better secondary. UMHB doesn't do anything crazy. The will just line up and beat you down.  I bet #7 makes a play to pull them away.

With both teams running, it will be a quick game. Close and low scoring first half. Couple fireworks in 3rd qtr. Cru holds on with clock running second half.

UMHB 24 BSC 13 in a much closer game than expected again.

CruFrenzy

Quote from: Cowboy2 on November 23, 2021, 10:56:53 AM
I'd like to see BSC do well. However, they're a running team. I think UMHB will be too big and fast upfront for them to get the running game going.

#1 is a tall, very fast threat at WR. If they put someone (#2 SS)  over the top of him, and keep a spy on the QB, they should be able to bottle up #3 with the rest of UMHBs defense.

I think offensively they will do about as well as Trinity did, but flip passing and rushing statistics. BSC is a running team so they will be tough in the trenches. Wouldn't be surprised if they sprang a couple of nice runs if they get a block or two.

Defensively I think they will do pretty darn well too. I think they may break down late in the game, but it will depend how their secondary does against the pass. They have a strong box, but I think Trinity has a better secondary. UMHB doesn't do anything crazy. The will just line up and beat you down.  I bet #7 makes a play to pull them away.

With both teams running, it will be a quick game. Close and low scoring first half. Couple fireworks in 3rd qtr. Cru holds on with clock running second half.

UMHB 24 BSC 13 in a much closer game than expected again.

Good insight, my prediction is assuming UMHB opens it up a bit more than they did last week. Also I'd be suprised if BSC scores 13 but ya never know. They'll have to throw some gadgets at the Cru defense or get out of their comfort zone to do so, if they run run run they might not see the endzone.
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

Riley Zayas

Looking for some more information on UMHB's second-round playoff opponent? We have you covered. We spoke with Birmingham-Southern head coach Tony Joe White about turning around the program and what the Panthers bring to the table, especially offensively.

https://truetothecru.com/2021/11/24/from-1-9-to-9-1-within-five-seasons-birmingham-southern-preparing-for-second-round-matchup-at-umhb/
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.