FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringSt7

Assuming when he says similarly sized rosters he means relative to the field.

lumbercat

Quote from: Nescacman on December 12, 2021, 12:48:42 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on December 10, 2021, 10:04:57 PM
LOL- believe me NM it's a very good pool of candidates. Personally I have vastly underestimated the attraction of a NESCAC HC job. Don't believe they had this level of applicants in 2018.

It really doesn't matter, Coach Hoodie couldn't win at UBates and neither will the next HCOF....not to burst your bubble Lumber but the Bobcats have had exactly one winning season since 1981 (in 2012)....that's 40 years for those keeping score at home...

Sure- we know the numbers too well but got to keep plugging. There is a lot of optimism right now. Nowhere to go but up.

xPolarDadx

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 12, 2021, 03:27:13 PM
Assuming when he says similarly sized rosters he means relative to the field.
Football is also a game of attrition unlike most other sports.  Injuries and roster size makes a massive difference.  Take 2021 Bowdoin for example... Other than QB and LB, every other position saw multiple games with 2nd, 3rd, or (for CB) even the 5th guy in the depth chart playing in critical game situations. 

How many soccer or hockey teams have a great 4th string goalie?

BigKat

Speaking of roster size, who knows what the limits will be going forward? I assume they are weaning down some of these 100 plus rosters going forward. Back to 75 in two years?

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on December 13, 2021, 10:42:00 AM
Quote from: Nescacman on December 12, 2021, 12:48:42 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on December 10, 2021, 10:04:57 PM
LOL- believe me NM it's a very good pool of candidates. Personally I have vastly underestimated the attraction of a NESCAC HC job. Don't believe they had this level of applicants in 2018.

It really doesn't matter, Coach Hoodie couldn't win at UBates and neither will the next HCOF....not to burst your bubble Lumber but the Bobcats have had exactly one winning season since 1981 (in 2012)....that's 40 years for those keeping score at home...

We hear they are getting close at UBates with 6 finalists, only one of which is a current NESCAC assistant...looking forward to hearing the pick...

Sure- we know the numbers too well but got to keep plugging. There is a lot of optimism right now. Nowhere to go but up.

Charlie

Quote from: Nescacman on December 12, 2021, 12:54:18 AM
Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 11, 2021, 10:36:40 AM
The question shouldn't really be "Can the NESCAC schools hang with the big boys in the playoffs?", the question should be "Would joining the playoffs allow the NESCAC schools to build programs that can hang with the big boys?"

We are all wasting our breath on the play-off subject....will never happen in our lifetime...in 2022 let's just all enjoy our nine game schedules, bigger rosters, spring practice and tailgating without restriction....that would be enough for us...

It is nice to imagine though

BigKat

For the long standing Nescac fans out there-Are you surprised Williams didn't end up in the final top 25 rankings? I understand that no playoffs most likely caused that. Is it safe to say the Ephs would have given Carnegie Mellon( ranked 23 or 24) a game this year ? I would have to think so knowing some kids on both squads.

Pat Coleman

It's certainly possible that Williams could give Carnegie Mellon a game. CMU isn't ranked but obviously is close. Unfortunately, super difficult for voters to determine without even a non-conference game.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SpringSt7

Quote from: BigKat on December 21, 2021, 12:17:12 PM
For the long standing Nescac fans out there-Are you surprised Williams didn't end up in the final top 25 rankings? I understand that no playoffs most likely caused that. Is it safe to say the Ephs would have given Carnegie Mellon( ranked 23 or 24) a game this year ? I would have to think so knowing some kids on both squads.

I remember Trinity sneaking into like 23rd or 24th at the end of an undefeated campaign a couple of years ago, but generally speaking the NESCAC schools aren't even on the pollsters' radars because they don't play in the postseason. I wouldn't expect any NESCAC teams to appear on the poll unless they were winning every game by 30+

Charlie

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 21, 2021, 04:54:42 PM
Quote from: BigKat on December 21, 2021, 12:17:12 PM

I remember Trinity sneaking into like 23rd or 24th at the end of an undefeated campaign a couple of years ago, but generally speaking the NESCAC schools aren't even on the pollsters' radars because they don't play in the postseason. I wouldn't expect any NESCAC teams to appear on the poll unless they were winning every game by 30+

So this baffles me I know the NESCAC schools dont care about athletic rankings and having their schools turn into athletic institutions. However there is an obvious disregard for football. I mean all the other NESCAC sports allow playoffs Basketball , Hockey  , baseball etc. So it seems the NESCAC have a beef by allowing the football to go into some type of playoff format in league or out of league. The disturbing thing is that they could teasily if they dont start the season until September 17. So why not start earlier and allow them to either have an in league playoff or school choice for going into another type of playoff.

Pat Coleman

I don't know what an in-league playoff would do as the conference already crowns a champion via a full round-robin schedule.

Playing a non-conference game early in the season, which the Ivy League does, would be one way for the NESCAC to expand competition opportunities for football student-athletes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Charlie

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 22, 2021, 09:56:16 AM
I don't know what an in-league playoff would do as the conference already crowns a champion via a full round-robin schedule.

Playing a non-conference game early in the season, which the Ivy League does, would be one way for the NESCAC to expand competition opportunities for football student-athletes.

Agree with out of conference game. What I m referring to is that One and Two Seed should play for a title game. Without starting crazy posts it was a given that Williams won this year over Trinity easily. But we all know that Trinity was flat , rain whatever. I think the consensus of opinion would be that if they played again while Williams may win the game the score we can conclude would have been different. The excitement around the game for both schools would be huge.

The D1 schools allow teams with a loss to play each other in the playoff format even if they have lost to the opponent previously. This is one way.

Another would be the winner of the NESCAC would play the winner of another league. All I am saying is that NESCAC starts so late they could easily accommodate another game. It is sad that Public even private High schools play more games than NESCAC. At the very least give a school the option of the extra game , playoffs etc.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 10:06:20 AM

Agree with out of conference game. What I m referring to is that One and Two Seed should play for a title game. Without starting crazy posts it was a given that Williams won this year over Trinity easily. But we all know that Trinity was flat , rain whatever. I think the consensus of opinion would be that if they played again while Williams may win the game the score we can conclude would have been different. The excitement around the game for both schools would be huge.

The D1 schools allow teams with a loss to play each other in the playoff format even if they have lost to the opponent previously. This is one way.

Another would be the winner of the NESCAC would play the winner of another league. All I am saying is that NESCAC starts so late they could easily accommodate another game. It is sad that Public even private High schools play more games than NESCAC. At the very least give a school the option of the extra game , playoffs etc.

Sorry this makes zero sense in a league with ten teams and everyone plays each other.  Especially a year like this where Williams went 10-0.  I'm not sure what D1 schools you are talking about but even the Power 5 conference championship games involve teams that most likely haven't played each other yet.

Charlie

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 22, 2021, 10:46:21 AM

Sorry this makes zero sense in a league with ten teams and everyone plays each other.  Especially a year like this where Williams went 10-0.  I'm not sure what D1 schools you are talking about but even the Power 5 conference championship games involve teams that most likely haven't played each other yet.

What I am saying is that if the NESCAC wanted to they could create some type of playoff where one meets two or play champion from another league. There is no reason NSCAC should not be playing 10+ games when every High school and other Colleges do even Ivy League plays ten games

Charlie

Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 10:50:43 AM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 22, 2021, 10:46:21 AM

What I am saying is that if the NESCAC wanted to they could create some type of playoff where one meets two or play champion from another league. There is no reason NSCAC should not be playing 10+ games when every High school and other Colleges do even Ivy League plays ten games

NESCAC needs to be more adaptive all the other sports have playoffs