FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 10:50:43 AM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 22, 2021, 10:46:21 AM
Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 10:06:20 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 22, 2021, 09:56:16 AM
I don't know what an in-league playoff would do as the conference already crowns a champion via a full round-robin schedule.

Playing a non-conference game early in the season, which the Ivy League does, would be one way for the NESCAC to expand competition opportunities for football student-athletes.

Agree with out of conference game. What I m referring to is that One and Two Seed should play for a title game. Without starting crazy posts it was a given that Williams won this year over Trinity easily. But we all know that Trinity was flat , rain whatever. I think the consensus of opinion would be that if they played again while Williams may win the game the score we can conclude would have been different. The excitement around the game for both schools would be huge.

The D1 schools allow teams with a loss to play each other in the playoff format even if they have lost to the opponent previously. This is one way.

Another would be the winner of the NESCAC would play the winner of another league. All I am saying is that NESCAC starts so late they could easily accommodate another game. It is sad that Public even private High schools play more games than NESCAC. At the very least give a school the option of the extra game , playoffs etc.

Sorry this makes zero sense in a league with ten teams and everyone plays each other.  Especially a year like this where Williams went 10-0.  I'm not sure what D1 schools you are talking about but even the Power 5 conference championship games involve teams that most likely haven't played each other yet.

What I am saying is that if the NESCAC wanted to they could create some type of playoff where one meets two or play champion from another league. There is no reason NSCAC should not be playing 10+ games when every High school and other Colleges do even Ivy League plays ten games

I'm talking about your suggestion that Trinity and Williams should have played again and that people would have wanted to see that.  No league ever has a championship game with one league that plays each other.  There are a few d3 schools who play 9 games.

polbear73

Charlie, the whole point behind the founding of NESCAC is to guard against the overemphasis of football and to keep it in in its appropriate place in the grand scheme of things.  That ain't gonna change..

Nescacman

I don't know what an in-league playoff would do as the conference already crowns a champion via a full round-robin schedule.

Playing a non-conference game early in the season, which the Ivy League does, would be one way for the NESCAC to expand competition opportunities for football student-athletes.

Agree with out of conference game. What I m referring to is that One and Two Seed should play for a title game. Without starting crazy posts it was a given that Williams won this year over Trinity easily. But we all know that Trinity was flat , rain whatever. I think the consensus of opinion would be that if they played again while Williams may win the game the score we can conclude would have been different. The excitement around the game for both schools would be huge.

The D1 schools allow teams with a loss to play each other in the playoff format even if they have lost to the opponent previously. This is one way.

Another would be the winner of the NESCAC would play the winner of another league. All I am saying is that NESCAC starts so late they could easily accommodate another game. It is sad that Public even private High schools play more games than NESCAC. At the very least give a school the option of the extra game , playoffs etc.

Sorry this makes zero sense in a league with ten teams and everyone plays each other.  Especially a year like this where Williams went 10-0.  I'm not sure what D1 schools you are talking about but even the Power 5 conference championship games involve teams that most likely haven't played each other yet.

The Ephs were 10-0?!? Congratulations to the first 10-0 team in NESCAC history! Spring, did you and NESCAC1 sneak in another win on us or were we asleep???

Nescacman

Quote from: polbear73 on December 22, 2021, 11:39:43 AM
Charlie, the whole point behind the founding of NESCAC is to guard against the overemphasis of football and to keep it in in its appropriate place in the grand scheme of things.  That ain't gonna change..

Agree that the play-offs isn't going to happen. We could see, maybe, adding a 10th, out of conference game or, maybe the conference expands by one football playing school and that game is added...

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Nescacman on December 22, 2021, 01:54:42 PM

The Ephs were 10-0?!? Congratulations to the first 10-0 team in NESCAC history! Spring, did you and NESCAC1 sneak in another win on us or were we asleep???

I'm counting the NESCAC championship game where Williams beat Trinity 50-7 at Foxboro Stadium in front of 57,000 fans.

SpringSt7

Quote from: Nescacman on December 22, 2021, 01:54:42 PM

Print the shirts!!!

JEFFFAN

Love your enthusiasm, Charlie, but in response to your point that "NESCAC needs to be more adaptive all the other sports have playoffs" ... the financial reality is that NESCAC doesn't NEED to do anything in the same way that the Ivies don't NEED to do anything.   Every one of these schools have absurdly high endowment levels which means that they can keep sports in exactly the place they want it to be.  I always have to remind myself that I care far, far more about sports than any administrator in the history of the NESCAC!

Jonny Utah

Quote from: JEFFFAN on December 22, 2021, 03:04:08 PM
Love your enthusiasm, Charlie, but in response to your point that "NESCAC needs to be more adaptive all the other sports have playoffs" ... the financial reality is that NESCAC doesn't NEED to do anything in the same way that the Ivies don't NEED to do anything.   Every one of these schools have absurdly high endowment levels which means that they can keep sports in exactly the place they want it to be.  I always have to remind myself that I care far, far more about sports than any administrator in the history of the NESCAC!

Does it really have anything to do with money though?  MIT and plenty of other schools with academic and financial reputations similar to the Nescac go to the playoffs.  Some of those schools do not have admissions agreements like the Nescac schools do either. 

But like the Ivies, there is a strong league with a arguable competitive balance the league simply is what it is.  9 games of good New England fall football with a conference champion.  No school has alumni pressure to get that national championship (maybe that is the financial angle you are talking about), but enough pressure to make it a competitive football league with good competition and high quality athletes and men.

Charlie

I totally get that but you would think that they would try and create a level playing field for sports.  Lets face facts they do it for basketball , Hockey etc. I find it odd though that every NESCAC has a homecoming & Alumni weekend around a football game which last I looked was a big endowment weekend push. So you would think that if there was one sport that you would want a level playing field than the others it would be football. Again we are not talking about giing from a 9 game season to 16 we are talking maybe an extra game possibly two. But I get it not a priority.

Charlie

Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 03:46:47 PM

I totally get that but you would think that they would try and create a level playing field for sports.  Lets face facts they do it for basketball , Hockey etc. I find it odd though that every NESCAC has a homecoming & Alumni weekend around a football game which last I looked was a big endowment weekend push. So you would think that if there was one sport that you would want a level playing field than the others it would be football. Again we are not talking about giing from a 9 game season to 16 we are talking maybe an extra game possibly two. But I get it not a priority.

NESCAC will have to address this though at some point in the near future because I would not be surprised if D3 players opt away from NESCAC to play in more games and playoffs in other leagues. Lets face it 99% of these kids will not be playing after there College years and they are done. I understand a great education in the NESCAC schools but fotball players will make this decision to play more at other schools I am assuming.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 03:53:00 PM
Quote from: Charlie on December 22, 2021, 03:46:47 PM

NESCAC will have to address this though at some point in the near future because I would not be surprised if D3 players opt away from NESCAC to play in more games and playoffs in other leagues. Lets face it 99% of these kids will not be playing after there College years and they are done. I understand a great education in the NESCAC schools but fotball players will make this decision to play more at other schools I am assuming.

Charlie kids have been choosing to go to Nescac schools for the education and football since the 1800s (and since the 1970s if you want to talk about playoffs).  What grand change in the d3 landscape makes you think kids are going to do something different in 2022 versus 1982 or 2002 or 1952?

polbear73

NESCAC football players already have so much on their plates  than postseason football that, in many cases, the end of season brings relief in terms of freed up time to accomplish accomplish more important, career and life shaping tasks.  If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't play at a NESCAC school.

Nescacman

Next topic please...how about we talk about all NESCAC schools having real Spring practice in 2022 for the first time ever...much more interesting and certainly much more likely than participating in the D3 play-offs (of course, COVID pending)...

HSCTiger74

QuoteWhat I am saying is that if the NESCAC wanted to they could create some type of playoff where one meets two or play champion from another league. There is no reason NSCAC should not be playing 10+ games when every High school and other Colleges do even Ivy League plays ten games

Most of the NESCAC regulars have tried to explain it as politely as they could, but this is the key point. They. Don't. Want. To. The conference and its member schools are happy with what they have. You need to deal with it.
TANSTAAFL

polbear73

You nailed it. Great point. THEY DONT WANT TO!!!!!!