FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaterboy

Quote from: Teamski on November 14, 2021, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: FANOFD3 on November 14, 2021, 07:14:50 PM
I think Salisbury got a bad draw in the bracket. I think they could have hosted Endicott and Hopkins hosted RPI. Johns Hopkins is a very quality opponent and like I said, they'll be the best team we have faced since Whitewater. Then, if we end up beating Hopkins, it's to the Machine of Mount Union who will have seen the option for two weeks in a row, so the surprise factor is out the window. These matchups will test the resolve of the players and coaches. Overall, I'm happy that we get to face Hopkins, I'm not sure if we have played them before, always felt like they didn't want to play us because we were a State School and weren't considered "Smart" or "Established" enough to face us. Maybe it had (has) something to do with conference affiliation. I'll reserve my keys to the game for Friday.

I concur.  That draw sucked for both teams with the  joy of meeting MU in the second round.  I know I would be ticked if Wesley had drawn that......

-Ski
Since Wesley was invoked, I have returned... Wesley did almost draw exactly that in 2013. Johns Hopkins round 1, Ithaca round 2, then Mount.

Good luck to Salisbury this weekend. JHU has always been a tough out from the playoffs. I still hold that the option offense can only get you so far though.... and Mount will be waiting for it.

Teamski

The wheels are really coming off for Salisbury.  I did not see that coming.  John Hopkin's QB is just picking apart the secondary.  Add a couple of Salisbury turnovers and you have a rout.  Wow.  Really disappointed for Salisbury.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

MRMIKESMITH

Decided that I'll move on with the rest of my day. This type of result has been rearing its head all season. Salisbury was/is just simply being outclassed by a better program. Defensively, Salisbury does not have an answer. Johns Hopkins controls what the defense does. The players were not prepared for this game at all. Offensively, the offense had good moments, but stalled when it really mattered. The unpreparedness by the defense and the lack of schematic changes is heartbreaking. As a supporter of this program, I have to respectfully say we have hit a ceiling/wall on what this program can do. The sheer stubbornness of both the defensive and offensive coordinators on in game adjustments is just baffling. I think HC will have to look in the mirror on what/where he wants this program to go. The defense was not prepared because they don't see it in practice and can't replicate the opposing offense. I don't think this group can win a championship, yet alone make a serious run towards a Semi-finals appears. The story is the same every year, the defense is conservative and allows opposing offenses to dictate the flow and puts secondary in unfavorable positions. Offensively, when they get down, do not have adequate answers to get back into the game. Salisbury has yet to beat a real Top 15 team. Salisbury needs to find better players, better schemes (plural), and system. It's okay to make changes, change is good. I just don't see this program going up.

Congrats to Johns Hopkins, their coaches outclassed Salisbury coaches. I put no blame on the players. The players were put in bad position to succeed. There is no excuse for this. Unfortunately, the poor performance by the defense will overshadow the obvious change that needs to be made in this program to take the next steps.

MRMIKESMITH

Had a chance to review what was a great year for Salisbury. Congratulations to the Seniors and Grad students. They end their careers as the winniest class in school history. Kudos to the players that had taken time off or taken on grad level courses, or either postponed graduation to play one last season. Kudos to the staff and their continued effort to put out a respectable program that is well known nationally. It is very difficult to win at a high level on a consistent basis. Overall, I'm disappointed in this past weekend outcome, however I'm excited that this program is respected. Now here is my Good, Bad, and Ugly recap of the season and my take on what is needed going forward:

Good: OOC Scheduling - Although Salisbury only had a 9 game slate and 3 OOC games. Kudos to the staff for scheduling the likes of UWW and a respectable WNE team. Although this team came in with high expectations, based upon 2019 results and didn't get to get back to the quarters, I'm excited that there were quite a lot of underclassmen playing this year, not at key positions, but enough to say that the future is still bright. Salisbury withstood everyone's best shot in the NJAC and although the NJAC was down this year, I think Salisbury stayed true to its philosophy and a lot of players grew as the season went along.

Bad: The lack of explosive running plays, 4th down conversions, and coverage. Although Salisbury had its share of big run plays, I didn't see the explosive output from some of the potent teams in the past. I felt that there were a lot of points left on the field. There were quite a few moments throughout the season where a sack or TFL put the offense in long yardage (across the 50) that didn't matriculate into points. Additionally, the 4th down conversion rate, Salisbury did not put itself in position to succeed on 4th down, they had one of the worst conversion rates of any DIII Top 25 caliber team. You have to be able to have go to plays that give you a high chance to succeed. The great teams were very dominant in this category. Lastly, the coverage unit had a few good players and all-american, but schematically the secondary was put in a bind throughout the season, CBs lining up 8 -10 yards from the ball created easy opportunities for opposing offenses and when they did change coverage it was immediately known and less talented players were put on island that led to opposing teams big plays. Also, the Field Corner and Boundary Corner created fatigue and hurt them in alignment. I'm not a fan of the continuous switching of corners. I understand the concept because of one being talented than the other, but it creates scenarios that the good team had taken advantage of.

Ugly: Penalties and poor usage of timeouts. Usually you will find teams that are super agressive get called for penalties and a lot of top teams tend to trend to having more than average, however both Offensively and Defensively, it appeared that Salisbury early and a key moments in the season hurt themselves quite too often. When you run a particular offense (Triple-Option), you can't put yourself long yardage situations, the offense is not built or capable of getting those yards back. Defensively, it appeared that every touchdown scored was a result of a bad penalty that kept a drive alive that ended up with the opposing offense scoring. With the defense playing a conservative bend don't break Cover 4 shell, you can't have penalties. People take for granted the usage of Timeouts, I think Salisbury did a poor job on getting the right call in crucial games, while opposing teams did a great job and succeeded.

Going forward, Salisbury no longer has the Wesley excuse to why they aren't here nor there, Salisbury has the talent to make playoffs every year. Yet, making the playoff should not be the goal. Salisbury has played the class of DIII (UWW) multiple times and have played two respectable teams from the CC in that of Muhlenberg and Johns Hopkins. Salisbury has played Delaware Valley and Salisbury has played the likes of the best of New York in that of Cortland, Ithaca, and Union. Many of these games in the playoffs.  It appears that Salisbury has not had good success in games that are considered toss-ups over the many years. What does this mean --- it means Salisbury is a well respected program and has come a long way from being an average program. However, being respected is not the same as championship caliber. Over the past 15 years, we have seen the DIII landscape have only 1-2 teams that realistically had a shot at championship to 6 or 7. We have seen the CC teams (Johns Hopkins and Muhlenberg) have respectable games in the playoffs and make the semi's and quarters multiple times. However, as dominant as Salisbury been against teams they are suppose to beat, Salisbury has yet to put up a signature win. Yes, 2019 win against UW-Oshkosh and Wesley were hurdles, however, that UW-Oshkosh team were fully of freshman, sophomores, and 1st year players. Also, that 2019 Wesley team was not as good as the 2000s and early 2010s Wesley teams. Salisbury as a program sees these other programs and want to be them, being respected is good, but no one fear's Salisbury. Salisbury as a program has hit a ceiling. I think to get past that ceiling, Salisbury either has to recruit superior talent, higher more analyst to help coordinators on what opposing teams will do against schemes or get better in what they do. The recruiting area (DMV) is not as lucrative to non-scholarship teams anymore, there are so many scholarship (DII, FCS) programs that are reeling in that talent than it was 15 years ago. Salisbury either needs to move up to Division II or FCS or make some schematic changes. I respectfully believe that you can't win big games being one-dimensional and expect to beat similar or better talented opponents. Defensively, you can't sit in your base and just expect to read and react, you have to make offenses think as opposed to allowing them to immediately know. Defensively, Salisbury doesn't have the talent up front to just sit in base defense. All of Salisbury supporters want the program to maintain the success, however we also want to see the program get better and compete for National Championships. The school has a rich history of championships in many of its other sports, so the support is there. Salisbury has to really evaluate itself inside and out. No more being happy with being a top 5 rushing offense, heck the NCC and other top programs are top 10-15 in both passing and rushing. So the formula for success is there. We can't be scared to get outside of the norm, push the program/players to the limit. Be creative on offense and defense, raise the bar.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: FANOFD3 on November 22, 2021, 11:10:42 AM
Had a chance to review what was a great year for Salisbury. Congratulations to the Seniors and Grad students. They end their careers as the winniest class in school history. Kudos to the players that had taken time off or taken on postponing graduation to play one last season. Kudos to the staff their continued effort to put out a respectable program that is well known nationally. It is very difficult to win at a high level on a consistent basis. Overall, I'm disappointed in how this past weekend outcome, however I'm excited that this program is respected. Now here is my Good, Bad, and Ugly recap of the season and my take on what is needed going forward:

Good: OOC Scheduling - Although Salisbury only had a 9 game slate and 3 OOC games. Kudos to the staff for scheduling the likes of UWW and a respectable WNE team. Although this team came in with high expectations, based upon 2019 results and didn't get to get back to the quarters, I'm excited that there were quite a lot of underclassmen playing this year, not at key positions, but enough to say that the future is still bright. Salisbury withstood everyone's best shot in the NJAC and although the NJAC was down this year, I think Salisbury stayed true to its philosophy and a lot of players grew as the season went along.

Bad: The lack of explosive running plays, 4th down conversions, and coverage. Although Salisbury had its share of big run plays, I didn't see the explosive output from some of the potent teams in the past. I felt that there were a lot of points left on the field. There were quite a few moments throughout the season where a sack or TFL put the offense in long yardage across the 50 that didn't matriculate into scoring and that leads to my next point, the poor 4th down conversion rate, Salisbury did not put itself in position to succeed on 4th down, they had one of the worst conversion rates of Top 25 caliber teams. The great teams were very dominant in the category. Lastly, the coverage unit had a few good players and all-america, but schematically the secondary was put in a bind throughout the season, CBs lining up 8 -10 yards from the ball created easy opportunities for opposing offenses and when they did change coverage it was immediately know.

Ugly: Penalties and poor usage of timeouts. Usually you will find teams that are super agressive get called for penalties and a lot of top teams tend to trend to having more than average, however both Offensively and Defensively, it appeared that Salisbury early and a key moments in the season hurt themselves quite too often. When you run a particular offense (Triple-Option), you can't put yourself long yardage situations, the offense is not built or capable of getting those yards back. Defensively, it appeared that every touchdown scored was a result of a bad penalty that kept a drive alive that ended up with the opposing offense scoring. With the defense playing a conservative bend don't break Cover 4 shell, you can't have penalties. People take for granted the usage of Timeouts, I think Salisbury did a poor job on getting the right call in crucial games, while opposing teams did a great job and succeeded.

Going forward, Salisbury no longers has the Wesley excuse to why they aren't here nor there. Salisbury has played the class of DIII multiple times and have played two respectable teams from the CC in that of Muhlenberg. Salisbury has played Delaware Valley and Salisbury has played the likes of Cortland and Ithaca in postseason. It appears that Salisbury has not had good success in games that are considered toss-ups over the year's. Salisbury is well respected program and has come a long way from being an average program. However, over the past 15 year's, we have seen the DIII landscape have only 1-2 teams that realistically had a shot at championship to 6 or 7. We have seen the CC teams (Johns Hopkins and Muhlenberg) have respectable games in the playoffs and make the semi's and quarters multiple times. However, as dominant as Salisbury been against teams they are suppose to beat, Salisbury has yet to put up a signature win. Yes, 2019 win against UW-Oshkosh and Wesley were hurdles, however, that UW-Oshkosh team were fully of freshman, sophomores, and 1st year players. Also, that 2019 Wesley team was not as good as the 2000s and early 2010s Wesley teams. Salisbury as a program sees these other programs and want to be them, being respected is good, but no one fear's Salisbury. Salisbury as a program has hit a ceiling. I think to get past that ceiling, Salisbury either has to recruit superior talent, higher more analyst to help coordinators on what opposing teams will do against schemes or get better in what they do. The recruiting area (DMV) is not as lucrative to non-scholarship teams anymore, there are so many scholarship (DII, FCS) programs that are reeling in that talent than it was 15 years ago. Salisbury either needs to move up to Division II or FCS or make some schematic changes. I respectfully believe that you can't win big games being one-dimensional and expect to beat similar or better talented opponents. Defensively, you can't sit in your base and just expect to read and react, you have to make offenses think as opposed to allowing them to immediately know. Defensively, Salisbury doesn't have the talent up front to just sit in base defense. All of Salisbury supporters want the program to maintain the success, however we also want to see the program get better and compete for National Championships. The school has a rich history of championships in many of its other sports, so the support is there. Salisbury has to really evaluate itself inside and out. No more being happy with being a top 5 rushing offense, heck the NCC and other top programs are top 10-15 in both passing and rushing. So the formula for success is there. We can't be scared to get outside of the norm, push the program/players to the limit. Be creative on offense and defense, raise the bar.

I knew the NJAC was a pretty poor conference (not surprising after the losses of Wesley and Frostburg especially) after seeing two teams that DelVal demolished, Kean and Montclair, having decent NJAC records........more so Kean). If there isn't some improvement soon, does Salisbury do more than just the current sniffing around for a different football conference?

With Eastern coming on board as a 12th MAC football program, I am hearing rumors about an eventual 14 team / 2 division football conference with a slightly expanded football footprint. 6 division games, 2 vs. the other division, 1 true out of conference and a championship game, along with other cross-division matchup's across the board (2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc.).

Would Salisbury and another "more Southern" program make sense pared with Stevenson................and some combo of Lycoming, Lebanon Valley, Widener and Eastern in a South Division"..........and Misericordia, King's Wilkes, FDU, Albright, Alvernia and DelVal in  "North Division"?

Gordon? Pat?

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on November 22, 2021, 12:02:16 PM
Quote from: FANOFD3 on November 22, 2021, 11:10:42 AM
Had a chance to review what was a great year for Salisbury. Congratulations to the Seniors and Grad students. They end their careers as the winniest class in school history. Kudos to the players that had taken time off or taken on postponing graduation to play one last season. Kudos to the staff their continued effort to put out a respectable program that is well known nationally. It is very difficult to win at a high level on a consistent basis. Overall, I'm disappointed in how this past weekend outcome, however I'm excited that this program is respected. Now here is my Good, Bad, and Ugly recap of the season and my take on what is needed going forward:

Bad: The lack of explosive running plays, 4th down conversions, and coverage. Although Salisbury had its share of big run plays, I didn't see the explosive output from some of the potent teams in the past. I felt that there were a lot of points left on the field. There were quite a few moments throughout the season where a sack or TFL put the offense in long yardage across the 50 that didn't matriculate into scoring and that leads to my next point, the poor 4th down conversion rate, Salisbury did not put itself in position to succeed on 4th down, they had one of the worst conversion rates of Top 25 caliber teams. The great teams were very dominant in the category. Lastly, the coverage unit had a few good players and all-america, but schematically the secondary was put in a bind throughout the season, CBs lining up 8 -10 yards from the ball created easy opportunities for opposing offenses and when they did change coverage it was immediately know.

Going forward, Salisbury no longers has the Wesley excuse to why they aren't here nor there. Salisbury has played the class of DIII multiple times and have played two respectable teams from the CC in that of Muhlenberg. Salisbury has played Delaware Valley and Salisbury has played the likes of Cortland and Ithaca in postseason. It appears that Salisbury has not had good success in games that are considered toss-ups over the year's. Salisbury is well respected program and has come a long way from being an average program. However, over the past 15 year's, we have seen the DIII landscape have only 1-2 teams that realistically had a shot at championship to 6 or 7. We have seen the CC teams (Johns Hopkins and Muhlenberg) have respectable games in the playoffs and make the semi's and quarters multiple times. However, as dominant as Salisbury been against teams they are suppose to beat, Salisbury has yet to put up a signature win. Yes, 2019 win against UW-Oshkosh and Wesley were hurdles, however, that UW-Oshkosh team were fully of freshman, sophomores, and 1st year players. Also, that 2019 Wesley team was not as good as the 2000s and early 2010s Wesley teams. Salisbury as a program sees these other programs and want to be them, being respected is good, but no one fear's Salisbury. Salisbury as a program has hit a ceiling. I think to get past that ceiling, Salisbury either has to recruit superior talent, higher more analyst to help coordinators on what opposing teams will do against schemes or get better in what they do. The recruiting area (DMV) is not as lucrative to non-scholarship teams anymore, there are so many scholarship (DII, FCS) programs that are reeling in that talent than it was 15 years ago. Salisbury either needs to move up to Division II or FCS or make some schematic changes. I respectfully believe that you can't win big games being one-dimensional and expect to beat similar or better talented opponents. Defensively, you can't sit in your base and just expect to read and react, you have to make offenses think as opposed to allowing them to immediately know. Defensively, Salisbury doesn't have the talent up front to just sit in base defense. All of Salisbury supporters want the program to maintain the success, however we also want to see the program get better and compete for National Championships. The school has a rich history of championships in many of its other sports, so the support is there. Salisbury has to really evaluate itself inside and out. No more being happy with being a top 5 rushing offense, heck the NCC and other top programs are top 10-15 in both passing and rushing. So the formula for success is there. We can't be scared to get outside of the norm, push the program/players to the limit. Be creative on offense and defense, raise the bar.

I knew the NJAC was a pretty poor conference (not surprising after the losses of Wesley and Frostburg especially) after seeing two teams that DelVal demolished, Kean and Montclair, having decent NJAC records........more so Kean). If there isn't some improvement soon, does Salisbury do more than just the current sniffing around for a different football conference?

With Eastern coming on board as a 12th MAC football program, I am hearing rumors about an eventual 14 team / 2 division football conference with a slightly expanded football footprint. 6 division games, 2 vs. the other division, 1 true out of conference and a championship game, along with other cross-division matchup's across the board (2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc.).

Would Salisbury and another "more Southern" program make sense pared with Stevenson................and some combo of Lycoming, Lebanon Valley, Widener and Eastern in a South Division"..........and Misericordia, King's Wilkes, FDU, Albright, Alvernia and DelVal in  "North Division"?

Gordon? Pat?

I mean would be nice to have some agreement with the MAC, especially with 12 football members. A 14 team conference sounds good, if you were Division I - FBS. Yet, it would be better for Salisbury, so they wouldn't have to find 4 OOC games each year. Salisbury has been plagued by it's location and it being a State Flagship Institution. Also, with the recent success, teams aren't calling the HC asking do you have an opening on your schedule, except for the WIAC Schools. It would behoove the NJAC to work on some agreement with the MAC in terms of scheduling. It's unfortunate, because you look at the rest of Region II and you see both the LL and E8 each have 7 teams, but those conferences play at least 2 or 3 teams from the opposing conference. The NJAC does not have that luxury, the CC has 10 teams, the MAC has 12 teams. CC conference feels it's one game schedule with like-minded institutions. The MAC has more than the merrier. Even the PAC is gaining another member from the NCAC. So the options are few. If Salisbury were to leave for a newly formed 14-Team MAC, would CNU join them or would Catholic decide to join the MAC. I'm not sure how CNUs relationship is in the USA South, they could potentially join the ODAC as it appears they have become more liberal to both playing and accepting members. That would leave the remaining 5 NJAC members eventually falling into Pool B Category, Looking for 6 OOC games. I'd think that you'd see a TCNJ and/or William Patterson have easier routes to ECFC and/or CCC. I think Rowan, Montclair, and Kean would fit the NEWMAC.

Granted being at 7 is still a luxury for the NJAC, they still have the automatic bid. Most teams can get 9 games at least. There is some assurance in that aspect. However, for Salisbury it's fighting an uphill battle to get to 9 games each year and playing WIAC schools and teams from UMASS or going to North/South Carolina eventually will take its toll financially over a 5 to 6 year period. Not saying Salisbury doesn't mind playing teams as they were independent for a while, but it is a logistical nightmare.

jknezek

ODAC bylaws say no public schools. That would have to change before CNU could join and, outside football, the conference is overstuffed anyway. I suspect the schools don't have interest in changing for one team but who knows?

wesleydad

Checked in every once in a while to see how it was going this year and noticed that the NJAC is not very good.  Salisbury, clearly the best in the league then goes and gets trounced in the first round.  Programs need plenty of improvement, other than Salisbury, to complete on a national level.

CNU, hope all is well and good luck in the basketball season.

MRMIKESMITH

Continuing with the conversation, I think the NJAC will improve over the next couple of seasons. From top to bottom, there were quite a lot of underclassmen making headlines this year. There really weren't any Senior ladden teams. As opposed to may other teams from other conferences that brought back a good number of Seniors/6th year and Grad students, the NJAC was not a conference. Also, wanted to give a shoutout to all the conference awardees - https://njacsports.com/news/2021/11/19/njac-football-all-conference-team-announced.asp. These players were very fun to watch this year. There will be a lot of offensive skill players throughout the conference the next couple years. Although the defensive awards went to quite a few SR/GR, I think it's easier to plug defensive players than offensive players. Will the NJAC get back to the glory days, that depends on the recruits and marketing your programs.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: wesleydad on November 23, 2021, 03:19:51 PM
Checked in every once in a while to see how it was going this year and noticed that the NJAC is not very good.  Salisbury, clearly the best in the league then goes and gets trounced in the first round.  Programs need plenty of improvement, other than Salisbury, to complete on a national level.

Wesleydad, since you are not terribly far away, I hope that you got a chance to get to Doylestown and see DelVal this year. The defense was nasty and returns quite a few of the studs next year. The dropoff will be minimal, if not non-existent!

CNU85

All is well! Thanks! And the hoops season has kicked off with a very strange schedule prompted by the very strange conference. But so far so good, as CNU defeated #1 RMC last night.
Hope all is well with you! Cheers!

wesleydad

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on November 26, 2021, 06:04:29 PM

Wesleydad, since you are not terribly far away, I hope that you got a chance to get to Doylestown and see DelVal this year. The defense was nasty and returns quite a few of the studs next year. The dropoff will be minimal, if not non-existent!

JM, I usually try to get up that way at least once a year, but this year seemed to have an event almost every Saturday so I did not get up there.  Del Val ran into a pretty strong Muhlenberg team.  Nice season.

MRMIKESMITH

So, there a quite a few college coaches visiting local schools around the DMV, which is good to see. Speaking to some local h.s. coaches, they mentioned that this year you'll see quite a few top tier guys fall through due to the sheer amount of players in the college football portal. Those players are either going to go community college or potentially fall to DIII ranks. I think some of these top tier east region teams need to snag a about 5 to 6 impactful players especially along the lines and maybe QBs.

thewaterboy

Quote from: FANOFD3 on December 01, 2021, 11:56:03 AM
So, there a quite a few college coaches visiting local schools around the DMV, which is good to see. Speaking to some local h.s. coaches, they mentioned that this year you'll see quite a few top tier guys fall through due to the sheer amount of players in the college football portal. Those players are either going to go community college or potentially fall to DIII ranks. I think some of these top tier east region teams need to snag a about 5 to 6 impactful players especially along the lines and maybe QBs.
Wondering what former Wesley QBs are up to.... it doesn't seem Brady Walters found a home. Nor did Drew Fry. I think Fry would've been Callahan-esque had Wesley continued to exist and if COVID never happened.

CNU85

Just throwing some data out there. I don't know what it means, if anything. I simply find it interesting.

Kean - 4-5  Lost games by 51,20,49,32 and 14

CNU 5-5 Lost games by 3,7,7,20 and 70

Records since 2017

CNU 19-22
Kean 12-29

Post Season Accolades - ALL-Conference Players - Kean 10 Including ST Player of year
                                                                         CNU 9 - Including Offensive POY

Kean HC - Co-Coach of the Year in NJAC
CNU HC - looking for a job

Athletics is a crazy world!