MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Congrats to Matt Leritz on being named the CCIW Player of the week . . . 28 points two games in a row in Michigan, vs. Alma and then the win over Calvin.   IWU now 5-0 on the new season.

Let's hope Lambesis can return within a short time.

IWU '70

GU1999

Sixty to ninety seconds is the goal. There are some games where you will notice that a shift is playing exceptionally well and they may have their shifts on average bumped to the ninety second mark.   But ninety seconds is the most they want to have any one line in the game.  That said, there are game situations where there is a live ball and no stoppage which dictates a shift of greater than 90 seconds so it is possible that you get to two minutes.  The last thirty seconds of a two minute shift is excruciating to watch. The kids are dying.  Reminiscent of the last 50 meters of a 400 meter sprint in track. I have seen players GU players commit a foul to bring a shift to an end.

If you are interested, tonight the show comes to Tarble.  With the influx if Chicago kids on the roster this year, it'll be a good one for family travel.

markerickson

Thanks, everyone!

I am certainly no hoops tactician*, but if the goal is to double team asap, then the offense should have guys spread across the court.  Someone will be open.  Seems pretty simple to me; see IWU's complete drubbing of a System team not too long ago.

I understood very early after the adoption of the trey that 6/12 (50%) inside the arc is equal to 4/12 (33%) from outside.  I remain a firm believer in a man-to-man D with rotation underneath when the ball goes to the low post, especially with a mismatch.  I cringe when I see a guy hit a wide open trey.  I just do not understand.

*After my local HS totally imploded in the second half during a state-tourney possibility, I asked my co-worker, a former DI hoopster, how does one capitalize when facing a 1-3-1?  She knew.

Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

robertgoulet

Quote from: markerickson on November 23, 2021, 11:03:35 AM
Thanks, everyone!

I am certainly no hoops tactician*, but if the goal is to double team asap, then the offense should have guys spread across the court.  Someone will be open.  Seems pretty simple to me; see IWU's complete drubbing of a System team not too long ago.

I understood very early after the adoption of the trey that 6/12 (50%) inside the arc is equal to 4/12 (33%) from outside.  I remain a firm believer in a man-to-man D with rotation underneath when the ball goes to the low post, especially with a mismatch.  I cringe when I see a guy hit a wide open trey.  I just do not understand.

*After my local HS totally imploded in the second half during a state-tourney possibility, I asked my co-worker, a former DI hoopster, how does one capitalize when facing a 1-3-1?  She knew.

It's been 20 yrs since I've played organized ball and I still remember how to beat a 1-3-1!
You win! You always do!

markerickson

I last hooped it up 14 months ago against son #1 in a game to 21.  I hit my first shot:  2-0.  Losing 4-2, I hit a spectacular sky hook from beyond the arc.  The opponent called it a lucky shot:  5-4.  I lost 21-5.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

GoPerry

Wheaton 77
Chicago 67

Tyson Cruickshank  21 pts
Nyameye Adom  16 pts
Cade Alioth  19 pts, 14 rebs
Eli Considine 7 pts, 9 rebs

Brandon Beckman  15 pts
Bryce Hopkins  14 pts 7 rebs
Zach Munson  14 pts 6 rebs

The annual matchup with U Chicago, this time at the Ratner Center, had the Thunder in pretty good control most of the night.  Tonight it was Cruickshank leading the way for Wheaton as Adom had a slightly off night compared to his very high standard of offensive output so far this season.  Alioth was his typical double-double self.  Yet another good win on the road to go 5-0.

mwunder

Records fell in Kenosha last night as the Firebirds  :'( took out Greenville, 138-125.  Carthage's 138 points is a new single game record.

Bulatovic went for 29-16-15 and posted the second triple double by a Carthage player.  His 15 assists broke the single game mark as well.
Tyler Guest shot 16-20 from the floor and 8-8 from the line to become just the 9th Carthage player to get to 40 pts in a game.
Bernero chipped in with 19.  Garret Horner had 12-5-10 as well.

Watched most of this on the live stream.  Now that I've seen a "system" game, I can honestly say that I'm not a fan at all.

Carthage moves to 4-1 on the young season.

Looking forward to the CCIW season!!

lmitzel

NCC recovered the Bill Warden-Tony LaScala Trophy last night with a 65-62 win over Benedictine up Maple Avenue. I watched a bit of the second half towards the end and was alarmed by the Eagles getting seemingly every offensive rebound (they had 25 for the game and outboarded the Cardinals 52-39 for the contest), but Matt Helwig buried all three free throws on a fouled three point attempt from the top of the key to break a 60-all tie, and his brother Ethan clinched it with a layup with 19 ticks to go.

Matt finished with 31 and 12, and Ethan added 16 points. Jeff Kratz paced the Bennies with 16 points.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Next Man Up

Quote from: lmitzel on November 24, 2021, 05:18:32 PM
NCC recovered the Bill Warden-Tony LaScala Trophy last night with a 65-62 win over Benedictine up Maple Avenue. I watched a bit of the second half towards the end and was alarmed by the Eagles getting seemingly every offensive rebound (they had 25 for the game and outboarded the Cardinals 52-39 for the contest), but Matt Helwig buried all three free throws on a fouled three point attempt from the top of the key to break a 60-all tie, and his brother Ethan clinched it with a layup with 19 ticks to go.

Matt finished with 31 and 12, and Ethan added 16 points. Jeff Kratz paced the Bennies with 16 points.

Last night's BU/NCC tussle in Lisle was one of the most discombobulated messes I've seen in quite some time. The majority of game resembled an as yet unnamed sport not closely related to the game of basketball. NCC shot a very lackluster roughly 39% from the field including 22% from three, but actually topped BU's totals of 30% overall, and 17% from three. BU compounded it's ugly numbers from the field by hitting a junior high percentage of 54% from the line. NCC's contrasting 85% was a large part of the reason for their victory. The official scorer had NCC for 12 TOs, and BU for 9 for a total of 21 in the game. I'll just say that it must take an extra degree of incompetence to earn a TO in The Rice Center, as it appeared that both teams had about 21 TOs instead of that being the game total between both teams. Adding to the distress of coaches, players, and fans alike was the fact that this was one of the most poorly officiated games that is likely to be seen this entire year. Several calls stemming from the fact a defender dared to approach within a foot of his opponent, and several more missed calls after body parts came within inches of severance. The officials halted the proceedings 4-5 times to reach a majority opinion on what a play call was going to be. Choice words and wild gesticulations were fired in the officials direction from both benches throughout. Many of the criticisms more true than the shooting percentages of the participants.
As previously mentioned, NCC was basically carried by the brothers Helwig. This was especially true in the second half when Ethan had 13 of his 16 points, and Matt, an incendiary 21 of his 31. Contrastingly, BU's Jeff Kratz, on fire early, only had 5 of his 16 points in the second stanza.
Freshman guards Terrence Moncrief and John Blumeyer both saw appreciable PT. Could the Cardinals be  headed toward a style of guard play by committee this season? Time will tell. That's about it.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

kenoshamark

Mwunder - good to read you on the board again. 

Question, was there mention as to why Blake or Cook didn't play?   Their participation has been spotty so far and possibly injury related, just curious.   Also, after starting the previous four games, their center, Nemi O played one minute?   He hadn't really put up many numbers so far, but to drop to one minute was surprising.   

I was at the their two first games and with those being cupcake victories, tough to gauge how things will go this year.   I have concern with how they will handle teams with a strong post presence.   That was evident against Oshkosh where they were out rebounded by 14.  Bernero has a nice offensive game, but still undersized to match up to anyone with size and now we will have to see what comes of Nemi O. And his minutes, he has the most size.   Guest put up big numbers against Greenville and I like his effort from what I had seen, but he isn't a true big either. 

Carthage has some nice offensive pieces of course with Bulatovic leading the way.  Blake is a talent, but we need to see him on the court.  Horner can shoot and Cook can handle the point, they just need to have these guys on the floor together. 

Wheaton will be a great indicator with their well rounded team and strong post play. 

blue_jays

Quote from: GoPerry on November 23, 2021, 10:46:17 PM
Wheaton 77
Chicago 67

Nyameye Adom  16 pts

Brandon Beckman  15 pts

The annual matchup with U Chicago, this time at the Ratner Center, had the Thunder in pretty good control most of the night.  Tonight it was Cruickshank leading the way for Wheaton as Adom had a slightly off night compared to his very high standard of offensive output so far this season.  Alioth was his typical double-double self.  Yet another good win on the road to go 5-0.

Seeing Wheaton for the first time this season, Alioth might be the most important cog to this team's success with his rebounding. As usual, Wheaton is very guard-centric with two great ones in Adom and Cruickshank. However, Alioth is their lone big man in the rotation and if he gets in foul trouble, that's the team's Achilles heel. Munson did a good job of going straight at him in the post whenever he could. Adom was uncharacteristically sloppy with the ball and turned it over 7 times.
I try not to overreact to one game, but Wheaton did not strike me as a top 10 team. Their ability to quickly put points on the board and lean on their stars is impressive for sure. However, IWU looks like the much more complete and deep team and are the clear favorites in the CCIW. Everyone else will be competing for second.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's funny you say they're not a Top 10 team.  I've never felt that about them, not last year or this one - however, I've been pleasantly surprised by their play this year.  I think it's improved and I probably need to vote them higher on my poll this time around (although probably not Top 10).
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

GoPerry

Quote from: blue_jays on November 25, 2021, 02:16:58 AM
Wheaton 77
Chicago 67

Nyameye Adom  16 pts

Brandon Beckman  15 pts

Seeing Wheaton for the first time this season, Alioth might be the most important cog to this team's success with his rebounding. As usual, Wheaton is very guard-centric with two great ones in Adom and Cruickshank. However, Alioth is their lone big man in the rotation and if he gets in foul trouble, that's the team's Achilles heel. Munson did a good job of going straight at him in the post whenever he could. Adom was uncharacteristically sloppy with the ball and turned it over 7 times.
I try not to overreact to one game, but Wheaton did not strike me as a top 10 team. Their ability to quickly put points on the board and lean on their stars is impressive for sure. However, IWU looks like the much more complete and deep team and are the clear favorites in the CCIW. Everyone else will be competing for second.

I agree with you about Alioth blue_jays.  He, even more than Adom and Cruickshank, has really increased his offensive production over last year's shortened season and '19-20.  Then again, any player averaging a double-double (16.2 ppg/12.8 rpg) is not someone who can be replaced easily.  But the lack of an Alioth backup highlights the urgency of getting Spencer Peterson back and his 6'6" 250 lb tight end frame.  This has also typically left Eli Considine guarding the opposing 4 spot and at 6'4" 205 lbs, he is typically giving up size. 

No Peterson and no Luke Anthony (don't want to jinx the FB team), plus a couple injuries, has left Wheaton with a pretty short and shallow bench.  Comparing the full roster squad vs IWU and the rest of the league is the more relevant question to me.  So 5-0 is a solid start even though the opponents were a little of a mixed bag difficulty-wise. 

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 25, 2021, 09:37:06 AM

It's funny you say they're not a Top 10 team.  I've never felt that about them, not last year or this one - however, I've been pleasantly surprised by their play this year.  I think it's improved and I probably need to vote them higher on my poll this time around (although probably not Top 10).

I like what I see of Wheaton.  But I have no idea if a top 10 or 25 ranking is deserved or not.  I have not watched any other top ten teams.   I do know that after a home game Sat vs Ripon, they start CCIW play with a brutal stretch : @ 4-1 Carthage, @ 5-0 Elmhurst, @ 3-3 Carroll, and then home vs 5-0 Ill Wesleyan.   

I think the pre-season ranking is a fun way to start off the season.  So thanks to Ryan, Dave, Pat, Q and all who put time into it.  Coming off a Covid season, the margin of error for that exercise has to be even greater I would think.

Titan Q

Dec. 1 to Jan. 5 for IWU:

vs Chicago
vs Carroll
at #6-Wheaton
at North Central
at #18-WashU
at Mt. St. Vincent
at #2-Yeshiva
vs #10-Elmhurst

blue_jays

Quote from: GoPerry on November 25, 2021, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: blue_jays on November 25, 2021, 02:16:58 AM
Wheaton 77
Chicago 67

Nyameye Adom  16 pts

Brandon Beckman  15 pts

I agree with you about Alioth blue_jays.  He, even more than Adom and Cruickshank, has really increased his offensive production over last year's shortened season and '19-20.  Then again, any player averaging a double-double (16.2 ppg/12.8 rpg) is not someone who can be replaced easily.  But the lack of an Alioth backup highlights the urgency of getting Spencer Peterson back and his 6'6" 250 lb tight end frame.  This has also typically left Eli Considine guarding the opposing 4 spot and at 6'4" 205 lbs, he is typically giving up size. 

No Peterson and no Luke Anthony (don't want to jinx the FB team), plus a couple injuries, has left Wheaton with a pretty short and shallow bench.  Comparing the full roster squad vs IWU and the rest of the league is the more relevant question to me.  So 5-0 is a solid start even though the opponents were a little of a mixed bag difficulty-wise. 

Alioth's offensive game has grown by leaps and bounds for sure, which only makes Wheaton more dangerous offensively. Cade can hold his own and is a fit muscular dude. But he just doesn't have the girth/size to bang with a big boy 5. Personally, if I'm an opposing team, I'd feed the post at every opportunity to get him in foul trouble ASAP.
It's interesting that we can make this observation about Wheaton's lack of size and post depth basically every year, and yet they've always figured out ways to offset that shortcoming with being elite in other areas. Wheaton's been a star-driven team for the last 15 years, with their best guys leading the league in minutes played most years. It's a feature more-so than a bug. And those stars have delivered last-second highlights on an annual basis (just ask IWU). When you have a consecutive run of All-Americans named Raymond, McCrary, Peters and Francis, it sure makes things easier.