NCAA Tournament

Started by David Collinge, February 23, 2009, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Women's bracket saved from a possible sectional hosting problem in the Tufts/Scranton/Wash U/Oshkosh quadrant if all their men's teams had been able to host - saved only by Wash U and Oshkosh men being in the same regional so that only 1 of the 2 was a potential sectional host. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is nearly time to tip up the ball on the NCAA Division III Basketball Tournaments. Who will end up in Grand Rapids and Salem with a chance at a national title?

On Thursday's nights Hoopsville, Dave McHugh gives his preview of the two tournaments and who may be the surprises, who can pull off an upset, who are the favorites to make a run, and who just might walk away with the walnut and bronze.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs LIVE starting at 7:00 PM ET from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/mar2 --- or via the simulcast on Facebook Live. If you miss the show live, you can watch it On Demand or listen to the podcasts.

The show is jammed packed with guests, but Dave will also have time for your questions. Make sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com. You can also tweet them to us.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign was extended a few days because we had only raised 52% of our goal. Click the following link for more information and to make a donation: Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Carl Danzig, Scranton men's coach
- Abby Pyzik Smith, Lynchburg women's coach
- Brad Fischer, No. 13 UW-Oshkosh women's coach
- Michael Blaine, Medialle men's coach
- Jeff Brown, No. 6 Middlbury men's coach
- Cameron Hill, No. 7 Trinity (Texas) women's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoPerry

Quote from: ronk on March 01, 2017, 01:38:03 PM
Women's bracket saved from a possible sectional hosting problem in the Tufts/Scranton/Wash U/Oshkosh quadrant if all their men's teams had been able to host - saved only by Wash U and Oshkosh men being in the same regional so that only 1 of the 2 was a potential sectional host.

No matter what happens, there will be multiple flights involved in that Tufts lower right bracket next weekend.  But it looks like the committee knew that would happen anyhow or maybe it's fairly standard and typically unavoidable in the Rd of 16.  If Tufts wins, 2 midwest teams are flying there for sure.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: GoPerry on March 04, 2017, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: ronk on March 01, 2017, 01:38:03 PM

No matter what happens, there will be multiple flights involved in that Tufts lower right bracket next weekend.  But it looks like the committee knew that would happen anyhow or maybe it's fairly standard and typically unavoidable in the Rd of 16.  If Tufts wins, 2 midwest teams are flying there for sure.

Two things: if the Tufts men's team is still in the tournament, they may go to Babson... or they may be at Tufts which would keep the women from hosting.

Secondly... no guaruntees Tufts is the top seed there... you could make an argument that WashU is the #1 in that pod and Oshkosh can bus to them... so possibly Tufts is flying to St. Louis.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

bballfan13

Looks like the NCAA will pay for 3 flights for the St. Thomas corner of the bracket.  It will be St. Thomas, Marymount (VA), Puget Sound / Whitman, and Trinity (TX).  4 corners of the US.

7express

Quote from: bballfan13 on March 04, 2017, 09:50:55 PM
Looks like the NCAA will pay for 3 flights for the St. Thomas corner of the bracket.  It will be St. Thomas, Marymount (VA), Puget Sound / Whitman, and Trinity (TX).  4 corners of the US.

Using the milage chart and who the final 16 teams will be (the winner of PS/Whitman has no bearing on this as the winner will fly regardless). 

Upper Left (Amherst quadrant):  Who should host?  Amherst.  Who will likely host? Amherst.  3 of the 4 teams are from the same state (MA) with the 4th (New Paltz) being just across the border in New York, so all bussing here....and mostly rather short bussing too.
Bottom Left (Thomas More quadrant): Who should host?  Ohio Northern.  Who will likely host?  Ohio Northern.  Hope knocking out Thomas More benefits Ohio Northern the most as they would likely be traveling to Thomas More, but since they are now eliminated, the teams will probably be coming to them instead.  Newport is 500+ miles away from everyone, so they will be playing out to somewhere.....likely Ohio.
Upper right (St. Thomas quadrant): Who should host?  St. Thomas.  Who will likely host?  St. Thomas.  The hodgepodge of teams: 1 from Minnesota, 1 from the DC area, 1 from south Texas, and 1 from the Pacific Northwest.  I doubt any of these schools are 1,000 miles from each other much less 500, so there will be 3 flights somewhere, so you send the 3 flights to the best team remaining, and that is St. Thomas
Bottom left (Tufts quadrant): Who should host?  Tufts.  Who will likely host?  Tufts.  Since I think the Tufts men will end going to Babson, that will open up Tufts for another weekend of hosting duties.  Scranton can bus to Tufts, and while Oshkosh can bush to Wash U, neither of them can bus to Scranton, so there will be 2 flights anyways no matter whether you send the Midwest teams (Oshkosh, Wash U) out east, or the East coast teams (Tufts, Scranton) out to St. Louis, so like the upper portion of the bracket when you are guaranteed to have flights regardless of where the sectional ends up, you send it to the team with the best resume, and I believe that team is Tufts.

Ralph Turner

That is a bummer for Trinity. The one year that an "island" team can host 3rd and 4th round games, and TU can blame the loss at Texas Lutheran on losing their chance.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: 7express on March 04, 2017, 11:08:51 PM

Using the milage chart and who the final 16 teams will be (the winner of PS/Whitman has no bearing on this as the winner will fly regardless). 

Upper Left (Amherst quadrant):  Who should host?  Amherst.  Who will likely host? Amherst.  3 of the 4 teams are from the same state (MA) with the 4th (New Paltz) being just across the border in New York, so all bussing here....and mostly rather short bussing too.
Bottom Left (Thomas More quadrant): Who should host?  Ohio Northern.  Who will likely host?  Ohio Northern.  Hope knocking out Thomas More benefits Ohio Northern the most as they would likely be traveling to Thomas More, but since they are now eliminated, the teams will probably be coming to them instead.  Newport is 500+ miles away from everyone, so they will be playing out to somewhere.....likely Ohio.
Upper right (St. Thomas quadrant): Who should host?  St. Thomas.  Who will likely host?  St. Thomas.  The hodgepodge of teams: 1 from Minnesota, 1 from the DC area, 1 from south Texas, and 1 from the Pacific Northwest.  I doubt any of these schools are 1,000 miles from each other much less 500, so there will be 3 flights somewhere, so you send the 3 flights to the best team remaining, and that is St. Thomas
Bottom left (Tufts quadrant): Who should host?  Tufts.  Who will likely host?  Tufts.  Since I think the Tufts men will end going to Babson, that will open up Tufts for another weekend of hosting duties.  Scranton can bus to Tufts, and while Oshkosh can bush to Wash U, neither of them can bus to Scranton, so there will be 2 flights anyways no matter whether you send the Midwest teams (Oshkosh, Wash U) out east, or the East coast teams (Tufts, Scranton) out to St. Louis, so like the upper portion of the bracket when you are guaranteed to have flights regardless of where the sectional ends up, you send it to the team with the best resume, and I believe that team is Tufts.

I think people are misunderstanding Tuft's position... WashU appears to be the top ranked team in this bracket... NCAA brackets tend to put the top "seeds" in the upper two sections and the lower two sections... WashU is down there. An exception is Babson on the men's side who is apparently being treated as a #1 in their grouping despite their location.

I suspect the women are headed to WashU.

ronk

The question was posed and unanswered last nite post-game as we watched the Scranton men play Williams:
would the women prefer to bus to Tufts and play them on their home court OR
fly to St. Louis and play them on a neutral court?

Separately, Stevie Ray(Suny-POLY) is the real deal: excellent 1-on-1 moves, can hit the 3, and makes FTs; defensively, she has the ability to be more of a factor than she exhibited last nite. Hadn't heard of her before Friday nite, but don't know why she wasn't a scholarship-level prospect 4 years ago.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hosts: WashU, Geneseo, St. Thomas, Amherst

Roundball999

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2017, 02:07:52 PM

I'm confused, the clickable bracket on the NCAA web site indicates ONU hosting.....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Roundball999 on March 05, 2017, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2017, 02:07:52 PM

I'm confused, the clickable bracket on the NCAA web site indicates ONU hosting.....

It appears the NCAA screwed up... Ohio Northern now hosting.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have been told there was some mistake on the NCAA's end.. though, I am not sure where in took place... but there was a clerical error somewhere.

Roundball999

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2017, 02:44:22 PM
I have been told there was some mistake on the NCAA's end.. though, I am not sure where in took place... but there was a clerical error somewhere.

Thanks for clearing that up.  At least my reservations in Geneseo are cancelable :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Roundball999 on March 05, 2017, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2017, 02:44:22 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.  At least my reservations in Geneseo are cancelable :)

Turns out... committee voted for Geneseo who was #1 in the East over ONU who was #2 in the Great Lakes. The problem came down to the fact the NCAA had indicated Hope could bus to Geneseo with the mileabe being below 500. What the software didn't tell anyone ... that was going through Canada. That is a no-go. The committee was not aware of this fact until after they voted, the schools were told, and the brackets were announced.

Within 30 minutes the committee was told of the problem and quickly changed it to ONU - just one flight. Right decision, sadly didn't get made without some issues.