MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen M. Karon

Dman--

The victory over Amherst may have had something to do with '03, but then again, if Bryan Lambert had made his free throws near the end, Brandeis could have won at Amherst in the regular season, too.  Since Brandeis almost won at Amherst  (the Lord Jeffs only beat the Judges by 4), it was not too surprising that Rochester was able to pull off the victory over Amherst, seeing that Rochester beat Brandeis twice this season.

d-mac

And then there were FOUR... or really eight!
This weekend... the best of the best are crowded
But before then... we tell you who we think are the best... on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Eight teams in the nation can see where the road finishes. But who is going to get past the final two exits?

Millikin took out Calvin in a hard fought battle... to earn their way to the Women's Final Four. So is this Illinois team ready to go? Coach Lori Kerans will let us know. Her #6 ranked Big Blue Ladies are the lowest ranked team remaining, but still battle tested and ready for their semi-final game with Southern Maine.

The #1 ranked Scranton Lady Royals sure had a tough road to drive as they took on last year's championship finalist, Bowdoin College in the Elite Eight. Scranton showed why they are the #1 team in the nation, knocking off the Polar Bears. So do the Lady Royals have anything left in the tank for Randolph-Macon in the semi-finals? Coach Mike Strong answer that question and if that #1 ranking adds any pressure.

On the men's side, Rochester is still marching... even though mid-way through the season, most thought they had no chance. But their star player returned... and they knocked off not only last year's Final Four finalist Amherst in the Sweet 16... but then took out a suddenly hot SUNY-Potsdam team in the Elite Eight. Now, Rochester has been here before, and Coach Mike Neer has the experience. But how does his team prepare for a tough Final Four match-up with Calvin.

Calvin - people warned us about. They are the only team left in this men's tournament that has played every game to get here. First Wheaton, then Aurora, finally Mississippi College fell to the side of the Knights. Then came MIAA conference foe - and champion Albion. Which Calvin disposed of 60-52... to take their drive to Salem... for the first time since they won the national title in 2000.
So, what will Coach Kevin Vande Streek use from that last title run to help his team get past Rochester and into the title game? We will ask him that and much more (including if he saw Albion's buzzer beater Friday night? Jared did!).

And then there is York College (PA)... 11-15 last year... flew under many radars most of the year... and now they are in the first Final Four in the school's history.
Coach Jeff Gamber has traveled to Salem before, but never with a team playing. Now, after 28 years... he in Salem as a participant. But, this trip is completely new to Coach Gamber and the Spartans, who until this year had never won a NCAA Tournament game. We will talk to the coach of York and see if he has yet to come down from the high of beating Kings on Saturday to lock up the trip to Salem.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8-10PM Eastern!

Allen M. Karon

Congrats, UR!!!

Now, go and win the national championship game tomorrow!!!  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Old School

ATTENTION:

I recently picked up my Final Four pictures from Wally World.  I have 50+ pictures of the games, fans and celebrations.  Obviously they are Pointer-baised, but I do have some good game pictures of York and Rochester players as well (as well as a nice York student section fan picture).  Unfortunately, I only have one student section fan picture for the Calvin faithful.  I guess it would've helped had we played Calvin.  Sorry.  So, if you are interested at looking at the pictures, send me an email and I can send you the Walmart online links to the pictures.

martin

Chicago announced two incoming freshmen.  http://athletics.uchicago.edu/news/mbk-incoming-0519.htm"> Announcement is here.

I did some digging and found Watson listed as a 6-8 center.

Chicago -- University of Chicago Head Men's Basketball Coach Mike McGrath announced today the team's incoming freshmen for the 2005-06 campaign.

Adam Machones (Duluth, Minn./ Marshall) was a three-time all-state honorable mention selection at Marshall High School, which posted a 20-8 record this past season. The 6'5" Machones averaged 21.3 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 4.1 assists per game en route to garnering All-Lake Superior Conference first-team recognition for the third consecutive year.

Tom Watson (Edina, Minn./ Edina) averaged 11.6 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 1.4 blocked shots per game as a senior at Edina High School, where he was a three-time letterwinner and two-time all-conference selection. He led Edina in blocked shots three straight years and was the team's leading rebounds the past two campaigns.
Crescat scientia; vita excolatur.
Even a blind man knows when the sun is shining.

Marroon_man

In my expert opinion, I believe the U of Chicago Marroons will win the UAA this year.   They've been down the last few years but this is where they are making their move, their due a breakout season.  Being out in Cali I got the opportunity to see their 6'8" forward in action at a prestigious summer league.

What do you guys think?

deiscanton

The Brandeis men's basketball roster for the 2005-2006 season has now been posted on the Brandeis Athletics men's basketball page.

Last year, with a squad of mostly freshmen, Brandeis finished in the top half of the UAA standings for the first time in years.  This year, although the Judges are still a young team, look for Brandeis to move up in the standings and vie for a potential post-season bid-- and Brandeis is just as capable as most of the teams in the UAA to win the UAA men's basketball championship this year.  (although I believe that Carnegie Mellon will probably be the slight early favorite in what should be a tight UAA race.)

Brandeis returns 8 players to the team-- all sophomores.  However, 3 of these players earned UAA all-Honorable Mention last season.  Brandeis returns last year's UAA Rookie of the Year Florian Rexhepi to the starting lineup as well as Honorable Mention players Steve DeLuca and Kwame Graves-Fulgham.  Rocco Toppi and Joe Coppens are also among the 8 returning players to the Brandeis team.

In addition, Brandeis has once again recruited a very talented class of 6 new players.  Among them are 2 more international players.  1 of them, Ido Givon, is from Israel, and he is a transfer from NAIA DII Seton Hill University (PA).  Mr. Givon averaged 4.4 ppg and 1.7 rpg in about 8 min a game off the bench for the Seton Hill Griffins last season-- he played in 20 games last season for the Griffins.  His contributions helped Seton Hill finish with a 20-8 record last season (in only the second year of the program's existence), and 1 game shy of the NAIA tournament-- the Griffins lost in their conference championship game.  The other new international player is Xing Dong, a 6' 9" frosh from Beijing, China.   

The four other new players all have stellar high school resumes, and I also look forward to seeing how their games are progressing in the preseason.  Among hese players include Riko Bol, a 6'5" Fr. from Portland, Maine-- a high school teammate of Rocco Toppi's who made significant contributions to the 2003-2004 championship Portland High School season.  The other new players include 6'2" Fr. Husson Conti from Edmond, Washington--  6"4" Fr. Kevin Olson from Rockport, MA, and 6'7" Fr. David Mael from Winthrop, MA.

In the preseason, Brandeis has an away scrimmage at Springfield College in Nov. 5, and a home scrimmage at Auerbach Arena on Nov. 12 against Endicott.  Endicott is coached by former Brandeis assistant coach Chris Millette.  Brandeis opens up the 2005-2006 season on Nov. 19 at home when they open up the Brandeis men's tip-off tourney against Newbury.  Lasell and Roger Williams round out the men's tip off tournament field.

I look forward to checking out the home scrimmage on Nov. 12.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Brendeis has a very legitimate shot at post-season play, even if they only do 2nd place in the UAA.  The NE region is a bit down, but Brandeis' schedule includes a lot of the big guns... certainly a great potential Quality of Wins Index number.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

deiscanton

Speaking of a QoW number, I would have preferred that Brandeis tipped off in the first game for QoW purposes against Roger Williams rather than Newbury, as the Newbury Nighthawks men's team finished 4-21 last season, and have Lasell play Newbury.  However, since Brandeis lost against Colby-Sawyer in the first round of last year's tip-off tourney, and since the UAA is tough enough anyways-- getting Brandeis into the championship game of the men's tip-off this year may be worth risking a potential "8" grade on the QoW on the first round game for a home victory against Newbury.   Who knows-- being an independent team, Newbury may improve this season, and the point may become moot at the end of the season.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Newberry is so up and down from year to year, it's really hard to tell.  I think it was smart of Brandeis to make sure they had a winnable game first, especially with all the younger guys.  For the most part, the entire team is experiencing the feeling of 'veteran' status all at once.  You wouldn't want the proverbial sophomore slump to hit the whole team, which I've seen plenty of time in the first game out.  Although a scrimmage with Endicott will certainly help keep them on their toes.

Lasell and Roger Williams is a good tell-tale game as well, there's a good chance the winner of that game will do very well throughout the season and have a high QoW number.  It would stink to schedule the 'tougher' game and then have that team end up below .500 at the end of the year anyway.

deiscanton

News regarding a change in the way the starting lineups are to be introduced at all UAA basketball conference games:

Effective, August 1, 2005, an amendment to Section 4.10-- Miscellaneous Administration of the UAA Basketball Code of Conduct took effect.

As a result, there is now a new uniform conference rule of introducing the starting lineups at all UAA basketball games. 

Effective this season, the NCAA tournament method of introducing the starting lineups shall be the method of introducing the starting lineups at all UAA basketball games.

Previously, to my knowledge, only Wash U used the NCAA tournament method at their home games, while most UAA institutions in previous seasons introduced first all 5 starting members of the visiting team, followed by all 5 starters of the home team.

The Basketball Code of Conduct can be found at:

http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/Administration/Codes_of_Conduct.doc

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I understand the UAA has the air of academic superiority over athletics, which is fine and totally consistent with the d3 philosophy, but those introductions are a great way to improve the home court advantage.  It was always a joy for me to intentionally mis-pronounce visitors names and to make a rediculously over-hyped presentation of the home team.  It seems like that is one of the perks of getting the game at home.  I'm not a huge fan of that, but then again its not necessarily a big issue.

deiscanton

My guess is that the Wash U administration pushed for a uniform starting lineup introduction rule for the conference games, and they were powerful enough to get the amendment passed into the UAA Basketball Code of Conduct.

I personally had no problem with the use of the song "Welcome to the Jungle" being used for the starting lineup at Brandeis men's home games, nor with the use of the "Right Now" song being used for the starting lineup at Brandeis women's basketball home games.

Of course, what it means is that I will probably shake hands with one of the fans of the opposing team out of respect before each UAA game as well.

I have no problem with this change either, that being said.

deiscanton

In the best interests of all involved, I will not make any further public comment on any actions involving the Brandeis men's basketball or women's basketball teams involving events between now and November 18.  This also includes the scrimmages.  With the tough competition in the UAA, the teams should be given ample time to prepare without further distraction.  I request that fans of other UAA schools also refrain from any further public comment involving their scrimmages as well, in the best interest of their teams.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I just want to know where and when the Endicott scrimmage is.  I don't really care if you comment on it.  I understand that its best for all.