WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on November 21, 2021, 01:08:00 PMAnderson's 5'5" senior Lexi Dellinger poured in 37 pts via 6/9 3FGs, 5/8 2FGs and 9/9 FTs. That'll be among the best shooting we'll see this season in the continental U.S.

I daresay that nobody will top it in Hawaii, either.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

By the way, Greg, the league record is 27-17.
You may have relied on the standings shown on cciw dot org. They are missing one of North Central's losses.
cciw dot org also shows North Central defeating Hope on November 13.

RogK

By the way, RogK, 27-17 is no longer accurate.
This afternoon Augustana upended Wittenberg 63-55.
Augie's Linnea Johansen tallied 20 and blocked 4 opponents' shots.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on November 21, 2021, 01:41:48 PM
By the way, Greg, the league record is 27-17.
You may have relied on the standings shown on cciw dot org. They are missing one of North Central's losses.
cciw dot org also shows North Central defeating Hope on November 13.

What alternate timeline did I stumble into, and can I stay in it?
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Jester1390

Just a minor complaint. Greg does terrific job on the north park games but if your going to host a tournament the school should pay you to broadcast all the games. not having broadcasters for the non home teams kind of sucks not sure if it was the same case in elmhurst vs bethany

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Jester1390 on November 21, 2021, 05:24:12 PM
Just a minor complaint. Greg does terrific job on the north park games but if your going to host a tournament the school should pay you to broadcast all the games. not having broadcasters for the non home teams kind of sucks not sure if it was the same case in elmhurst vs bethany

It has nothing to do with the school paying me or not paying me. As I told you Friday, NPU was in the sectionals of the D3 men's soccer tournament this weekend. I was therefore involved elsewhere.

I have seen lots and lots of basketball tournaments online during the streaming era of D3 hoops, and most of them do not have PBP for the neutral games. Some will give you ambient gym audio; some will mute the camera mic altogether and give you video only. But you were expecting more than what most schools deliver.

When NPU is at another school's tourney, I never expect PBP for the Vikings' neutral game. All I ask for is a score graphic and/or working live stats, so that I can track the game myself.

The D3 national tournament is another matter, of course. If you're not doing PBP for a neutral game in the big dance when you've got a national audience looking on -- in other words, a setting in which everybody from the school president on down wants to put the institution's best foot forward -- then you look bad. But that's not the case for an early-season non-conference tourney setting.

BTW, thanks for the compliment. It was nice to meet you! Good luck to your Engineers this season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Jester1390 is a unique personality, Greg.
When we were conversing on Friday, I told him that sometimes I have insomnia.
To which he replied, "well, don't lose any sleep over it!"

Gregory Sager

Rog, did you hear the one about the dyslexic insomniac agnostic?

He tossed and turned all night, wondering if there really was a dog.

RogK

Dang it, just saw news of the killer driver today in Waukesha. Our sympathy to that city and especially our friends at Carroll.
There's no word yet if any victim is connected to the Pioneer family; hopefully not. An awful day for everyone around there.

Jester1390

Greg

If it sounded like I was blaming you that's not what I meant at all.  Just been my experience in the past that all the games had announcer.  From a fans standpoint I know for especially the older folks on my family it can be hard to follow a game without a commentator.  I have always hated just a video of a game. We started a program for our local high school that students actually call games when the local cable access isn't calling a game.  I know a couple of hcac schools have students call games as they have a interest in

Gregory Sager

I understand. Trust me, I know that for a lot of folks who are older or who don't watch much basketball the presence of a PBP broadcaster really enhances their ability to follow the game. But, as I said, it's just not the usual practice in D3 to have a neutral game PBP. D3 game managers typically have to scramble just to make sure that their various essential personnel needs -- table staff, security, etc. -- are covered as it is on a tournament day, particularly if there are other sporting events going on. In fact, I nearly had to serve as official scorer for the Elmhurst vs. Rose-Hulman game on Saturday, because the original person scheduled to book the game tested positive for COVID-19 the night before. Fortunately, one of the NPU assistant coaches was willing to step in at the last minute and keep book for your daughter's game.

This tendency to not have PBP during tourneys for neutral games is true of schools that have student broadcasters as well. The weekend before last, NPU filled the role at Wheaton's home tournament that Elmhurst filled at North Park's. And Wheaton, which uses student broadcasters, did not have PBP for North Park's games. I was perfectly all right with that; as I said yesterday, I never expected Wheaton to provide it. It's not customary.

RogK

Congrats to the new CCIW Player of the Week, Annie Tate.

RogK

A quick glance at 5-1 Augustana's stats reveals a nice start to the college career of 5'7" Emma Berg.
Scoring 5 to 10 pts in each game so far, she has made 10/27 3FGs (37%, the equivalent of 56% on 2FGs).
She's done even better closer to the hoop, hitting 7 of 10 2FGs.
Hasn't missed a free throw either (ha ha -- 0 for 0).
Reasonable numbers in other categories : 17 rebs and only 1 foul in 134 min, 9 assists and 10 TOs, 2 steals, 2 blocks.
I'm sure opposing coaches are already taking notice as they study Augie.

RogK

Through four games, Carroll has used three players 5'10" or taller.
They are all shooting over 70% from the field!
Lauren Soyke : 5/7 2FG and 1/1 3FG for a .750 FG%
Allison Thompson : 19/26 (all 2FGs) for .731
Elizabeth Behrndt : 15/21 (all 2FGs) for .714

GoPerry

Quote from: RogK on November 23, 2021, 06:04:23 PM
Through four games, Carroll has used three players 5'10" or taller.
They are all shooting over 70% from the field!
Lauren Soyke : 5/7 2FG and 1/1 3FG for a .750 FG%
Allison Thompson : 19/26 (all 2FGs) for .731
Elizabeth Behrndt : 15/21 (all 2FGs) for .714

With efficiency like that Rog, you would think they'd be undefeated.