New England Bowl(s)

Started by ITH radio, November 01, 2017, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

How many of them are playing teams outside of New England in non-conference games. No doubt there are a few, but there aren't many.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Upstate

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 13, 2017, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: Teamski on November 13, 2017, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 10, 2017, 06:42:29 PM
The New England schools asked the ECAC to stop matching them up with the NY schools some years back. I don't think the schools really want to go back to that framework, all things considered.

Why not?  Travel distances?

-Ski

Inability to be competitive.

It was probably the 2002 ECAC games that pushed that...

3 NY teams beat 3 NE teams by a combined score of 154-50...

The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

The_MASCACman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 14, 2017, 07:19:52 PM
How many of them are playing teams outside of New England in non-conference games. No doubt there are a few, but there aren't many.

This year OOC....

Framingham played Cortland
Bridgewater State played Buffalo State
Western Connecticut played Hartwick
Norwhich played Morrisville, St. Lawerance
Springfield played Kean
Coast Guard played Union
WPI played RPI
Becker played Rochester
WNEC played St. Lawerence and RPI
Salve played Monclair
Endicott played Hobart
Curry played Union
Husson played Union
Galladuet played Shenandoah

Just to name a few, but there are more.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: The_MASCACman on November 15, 2017, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 14, 2017, 07:19:52 PM

This year OOC....

Framingham played Cortland
Bridgewater State played Buffalo State
Western Connecticut played Hartwick
Norwhich played Morrisville, St. Lawerance
Springfield played Kean
Coast Guard played Union
WPI played RPI
Becker played Rochester
WNEC played St. Lawerence and RPI
Salve played Monclair
Endicott played Hobart
Curry played Union
Husson played Union
Galladuet played Shenandoah

Just to name a few, but there are more.

That's quite a lot. I think teams try to be reasonable in their scheduling and not go overboard. I would be up for MASCAC/E 8 or MASCAC/LL Challenge or even a MASCAC/NJAC challenge. It would only make us better, but we have to win those games. We won 6 out of 16 games. We have to continue to improve.

Framingham
played Cortland Won by 15
Bridgewater State played Buffalo State Lost by 1
Western Connecticut played Hartwick Won by 1
Norwich played Morrisville, St. Lawrence Loss by 14 and 7
Springfield played Kean Won by 20
Coast Guard played Union Lost by 15
WPI played RPI Lost by 22
Becker played Rochester Lost by 18
WNEC played St. Lawerence and RPI Won by 3 and Lost by 17, respectively.
Salve played Monclair Won by 6
Endicott played Hobart Lost by 17
Curry played Union Lost by 3
Husson played Union Won by 13
Galladuet played Shenandoah Lost by 26

NED3Guy

One trend that stands out when looking at that list of New England teams that venture out of New England for OOC games is that the vast majority of them are private schools. (Fram, BSU and WConn being the exceptions),

I imagine it is hard for a head coach of a public school to convince his AD that it's "worth it" to pay for an overnight trip to play an OOC game in NY or NJ. With so many local D3 teams in New England it's very rare to find an open date that cannot be filled by another New England team.

As much as we'd all love to see more NE teams venture out of the area for games, the almighty dollar reins supreme in most cases.

UfanBill

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 13, 2017, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: Teamski on November 13, 2017, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 10, 2017, 06:42:29 PM
The New England schools asked the ECAC to stop matching them up with the NY schools some years back. I don't think the schools really want to go back to that framework, all things considered.

Why not?  Travel distances?

-Ski

Inability to be competitive.

Ten or fifteen years ago New England teams were definitely not competitive with the top teams in the rest of the region. We all concede that. A number of New England teams have elevated their programs since then...WNE, Curry, Husson and Framingham for example. Others have returned to New England leagues from playing in other "bigger' conferences...W.Conn., WPI and Springfield come to mind.  The success of Springfield, WPI and USMMA this fall indicate that their participation in the Liberty League has prepared them to dominate the NEWMAC. In the meantime there are many new programs in New England and of course you have the NESCAC. With more D3 teams and fewer high school kids playing football it will be harder and harder for New England schools to recruit enough top notch talent to elevate themselves to the level of a Wesley, Del. Vly or even Ithaca. Maybe the four (five with NESCAC) New England leagues won't challenge for Eastern supremacy anytime soon but their best can certainly play with anyone in the East...just maybe not win yet.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

ITH radio

Haven't heard much on these but here's a projection:

CCC - WNE goes if END wins over SALVE (I think the Gulls will get the Pool A)

ECFC - SUNY-M back for a 2nd year in a row as the ECFC rep

NEW - Winner of MIT vs. SC game

MAS - WCT
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

NE_FootballFan

ITH radio

Confirmed the NE Bowls are happening. Based on the below, my best guesses are:

CCC - If Husson beats WNE, they go. If WNE wins, Salve.
ECFC - Probably Alfred State which isn't exactly "New England" but neither is Gallaudet...
MAS - UMass-D (probably a host)
NEW - USMMA assuming SC beats CUA

Based on that, let's say SAL vs. UMD and ASU (bc they beat GAL h2h) vs. USMMA are the games...?
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle