Coaching Carousel

Started by Ommadawn, April 07, 2018, 04:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejay

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 05, 2021, 04:10:18 PM
What's interesting is that this announcement says "former head coach Kyle Symczak [...] recently accepted another collegiate position after five years at the helm" but I cannot find anything out there saying where he is now. 

Going home to Virginia as the AC at William & Mary
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2021/7/28/mens-soccer-kyle-symczak-named-w-m-assistant-mens-soccer-coach.aspx

WLCALUM83

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

Falconer

On the main D3 soccer page, the coaching change at King's is listed and identifies Mark Bassett as the person who left to create the vacancy. Although the alma mater is listed for almost all coaches on that page, none is listed for Bassett. He played on Messiah's first national championship team (2000), scoring the GW in the final vs Rowan. He left King's for a D2 position: https://buhuskies.com/news/2021/2/22/mark-bassett-returns-to-bloomsburg-to-take-mens-soccer-helm.aspx

Ejay

Quote from: Falconer on August 19, 2021, 07:58:41 PM
On the main D3 soccer page, the coaching change at King's is listed and identifies Mark Bassett as the person who left to create the vacancy. Although the alma mater is listed for almost all coaches on that page, none is listed for Bassett. He played on Messiah's first national championship team (2000), scoring the GW in the final vs Rowan. He left King's for a D2 position: https://buhuskies.com/news/2021/2/22/mark-bassett-returns-to-bloomsburg-to-take-mens-soccer-helm.aspx

Bassett sent my kid an incredibly detailed unsolicited email after a tournament game. It was nice to read his observations which were extremely thorough compared to other coach communications. Kings wasn't a good fit for my kid and therefore wasn't on his radar, so my son thanked him for his email and wished him luck. Bassett responded in kind - definitely seems like a stand up guy. I hope he does well at Bloomsburg.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Ejay on August 20, 2021, 08:08:50 AM
Quote from: Falconer on August 19, 2021, 07:58:41 PM

Bassett sent my kid an incredibly detailed unsolicited email after a tournament game. It was nice to read his observations which were extremely thorough compared to other coach communications. Kings wasn't a good fit for my kid and therefore wasn't on his radar, so my son thanked him for his email and wished him luck. Bassett responded in kind - definitely seems like a stand up guy. I hope he does well at Bloomsburg.

That is called hail mary recruiting and yes sometimes it works but 95% of time it doesn't. Nice to hear the Coach followed up after your son's decision. That type of class is slowly being sucked out of society by both shady coaches and snow plow parenting

augie77

The Wheaton (Il) web site reports that John Gosling has been named interim Head Coach, following resignations last week of Jake DeClute and the assistant coach.
No other context provided.  Dylan Milkent named interim assistant.

Striker22

https://bantamsports.com/news/2021/11/23/trinity-mens-soccer-head-coach-mike-pilger-announces-retirement.aspx

Trinity (Hartford, CT) will be starting up a search soon based on yesterday's announcement about Pilger's retirement.  Curious if anyone has any speculation about who is available and could be a good fit?

Ejay

Quote from: Striker22 on November 24, 2021, 09:44:35 AM
https://bantamsports.com/news/2021/11/23/trinity-mens-soccer-head-coach-mike-pilger-announces-retirement.aspx

Trinity (Hartford, CT) will be starting up a search soon based on yesterday's announcement about Pilger's retirement.  Curious if anyone has any speculation about who is available and could be a good fit?

I'm going to throw a name out there, though I'll admit I have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of any interest or desire...

Chris Parsons - USCGA
He's a Connecticut guy, was an AA at Middlebury and also teaches physical ed at USCGA as did Pilger at Trinity.  Lead Vassar at one time too, so between Vassar and USCGA he's familiar with recruiting to competitive schools.

camosfan

Shane Rineer who used to lead Haverford would be a good guy to lead this program.

GiveMeLiberty

The coaches listed are great choices for Trinity, Vassar, or Union.

These can be considered destination jobs based on the tenure of the previous coaches. The salary packages and camp income are likely solid. The academics are strong. 

I was thinking about Andrew Bednarsky. Maybe SaintofOld will have some insight.

Bednarsky was a star at SLU. He was a very successful assistant at Hobart and now has D1 credentials from Navy. Unless he plans to reach for a Patriot League HC position (Bucknell has Matt Brown as Interim), he would be a great fit at Trinity, Vassar, or Union.

camosfan

Quote from: GiveMeLiberty on November 24, 2021, 01:44:08 PM

These can be considered destination jobs based on the tenure of the previous coaches. The salary packages and camp income are likely solid. The academics are strong. 

Bednarsky was a star at SLU. He was a very successful assistant at Hobart and now has D1 credentials from Navy. Unless he plans to reach for a Patriot League HC position (Bucknell has Matt Brown as Interim), he would be a great fit at Trinity, Vassar, or Union.

Was wondering where he was this season, his dad is a good youth coach in NJ as you probably know!

Mr.Right

Quote from: GiveMeLiberty on November 24, 2021, 01:44:08 PM

I think Bednarsky's former SLU teammate Demello did a fantastic job as HC at Hoosac School. I watched them play last year and he had them organized and playing some serious futbol. Not sure where he went but certainly would make an excellent young HC.

Mr.Right

Looks like Bob Reasso is on the move again as Colby Sawyer has opened up.

Williams, Trinity and Union so far look like the best jobs on the market.

fishercats

Here's a new one announced today.

https://athletics.hope.edu/sports/msoc/2021-22/releases/20211217csu5p4

MEN'S SOCCER HEAD COACH DAVE BRANDT STEPS DOWN, NATIONAL SEARCH BEGINS FOR NEW COACH
Posted: Dec 17, 2021 
by Eva Dean Folkert

Head men's soccer coach Dave Brandt, pictured left, recently announced that he will be stepping down from his position at Hope College to fill a similar role at Bucknell University, a NCAA Division I school in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.

Athletic Director Tim Schoonveld says a national search for his replacement will begin immediately. Brandt's last day at Hope is Friday, Dec. 17.

"We want to thank Dave Brandt for his leadership and development of the men's soccer program. He has positioned this program for future, sustained success and for that we are grateful," Schoonveld said. "We are thankful for the impact he has had on the lives of our student-athletes and also within the athletic department. We wish him and his wife Diane all the best in this new and exciting opportunity. As we move forward we are confident that the best is ahead for our men's soccer program and the student-athletes within the program. The foundation is set for our program to take the next step towards MIAA and national success."

During his four-season tenure at Hope, Brandt accumulated a 44-14-6 record that included leading the Flying Dutchmen to an at-large bid to the NCAA Division III National Championship in 2019, when the team also finished second in the MIAA. His Flying Dutchmen won the MIAA Tournament title in the spring of 2021, and in the fall of this year went 11-4-3 and finished third in the league.

Prior to coming to Hope in 2018, Brandt had successful and lengthy head coaching careers at Messiah College (Pa.) and the United States Naval Academy (Md.)

"While I am excited about the opportunity I now have at Bucknell, I am also sad to leave Hope and go with a heavy heart," said Brandt. "This is a tremendous institution and as quality a group of people I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

"I want to particularly thank Tim Schoonveld, not only for the opportunity to have been at Hope for these three and a half years, but for being a strong and vision-oriented leader. The men's soccer program and entire athletic department is in good hands because Hope is filled with so many quality and sincere people. I've made many, many friends here and will be watching closely from afar."

Assistant coach Ryan Woodside, pictured right, will serve as the interim head coach until the search for the new coach is complete. Schoonveld says he values the young assistant's enthusiasm and commitment to the program.

"Ryan will provide a great transition for us as we search for the next leader of our program.  He has a deep connection to the program, great respect from the players and will provide consistency and familiarity as we search," Schoonveld said. "We are very confident that we will find an outstanding leader for our program who will provide competitive excellence and transform the lives of our student-athletes."

Ejay

Bucknell will be Patriot League Champions within the next 3 years.