FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonroviaCat

Quote from: D O.C. on August 16, 2017, 09:54:08 PM
QuoteIt's fun to cheer for the University of Oregon because they win a lot. Especially in the last 15 years. But Oregonians who want to avoid heartbreak in the long term should look to Linfield College, an Oregon team with a much better all-time win percentage than the Ducks

http://www.reviews.org/college-football-wins/
I was surprised to see that Mt. Union has only the 3rd best winning percentage for the stat of Ohio on this list.
Go Cats!

speedybigboy

Quote from: spiritof86 on August 17, 2017, 09:34:37 AM
Quote from: Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat on August 15, 2017, 08:14:56 PM
A bit early but here are my predictions for the NWC -

Linfield 7-1 
Whitworth 6-2
George Fox 5-3
Pacific 4-4
PLU 3-5
Willamette 3-5
UPS 3-5
Lewis & Clark 2-6

My math is a bit off but that is at least the projected order.  My guess is that Whitworth is thinking that this is their year with the senior quarterback, a loaded offense, and Linfield losing so much.  GFU has to be feeling good about their experience coming back and it being the 4th year of action on the field.

So, every team has one game that you prefer not to predict?

some have 2  ;D

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

Fellas... Like I said... Math not so good.... NWC results

Cats 6-1
Whitworth 5-2
Bruins 5-2
Boxers 4-4
PLU 3-5
Kitties 3-5
Logs 3-5
Pios 2-5

wildcat11

Pat has Fox over Linfield in his major upset pick in 2017.  Interesting pick but I think he was thinking about the Pacific/Linfield 2013 game during the Boxers peak 4th year. 

The 'Cats do have a lot of questions....crap load of talent....just questions if and how soon it comes together and develops.

GustyJ

Quote from: wildcat11 on August 23, 2017, 10:20:11 AM
Pat has Fox over Linfield in his major upset pick in 2017.  Interesting pick but I think he was thinking about the Pacific/Linfield 2013 game during the Boxers peak 4th year. 

The 'Cats do have a lot of questions....crap load of talent....just questions if and how soon it comes together and develops.

Even as a Bruins fan that sounds insanely optimistic. Not that I'd complain if it happened, but honestly I think we're still a few years away from making it a competitive game, let alone winning one. This year I'm just hoping to knock off Whitworth and take 2nd.
Go Bruins!

DFWCrufan

That is interesting, so I am watching these two programs, GF and Southwestern In Texas and how well a new program (well relatively new) does in their prospective conferences. Now last season SW won the SCAC conference but lets be honest SCAC was on it back legs as a conference, but hey a title is still a title. But what I do like is the climate and culture of the program (Southwestern) really upbeat and wanting to make strides.
So I ask this of the GF fans, what is the climate and culture of GF concerning their football program? As far as I can see as a outsider it's seems to be pretty solid.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

wildcat11

Quote from: GustyJ on August 23, 2017, 11:12:44 AM

Even as a Bruins fan that sounds insanely optimistic. Not that I'd complain if it happened, but honestly I think we're still a few years away from making it a competitive game, let alone winning one. This year I'm just hoping to knock off Whitworth and take 2nd.

I saw the 4th year thing at Pacific up close.  There is just something you can't replicate with that many guys with 3/4 years of starting under their belts.  GFU will not be as talented as Linfield but experience will play a big factor for Fox this year.

The true test for Fox is next year in terms of really where they're at as a program.  I wasn't too impressed with their last two recruiting classes. I think Pacific, Whit, and Linfield pulled in better classes (especially Linfield this year) but you don't really know until the time comes.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: GustyJ on August 23, 2017, 11:12:44 AM

I always have a hard time picking crazy upsets. In my brain football is a little more black and white than that so I'm generally going way out of the box. ::shrug::
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D O.C.

Alongside PC's ::shrug:: we have to remember how the wheels came off a very good football team in Belton last September.
Stranger things could happen to a group trying to get used to each other.

bleedpurple

Quote from: MonroviaCat on August 17, 2017, 10:41:03 AM
Quote from: D O.C. on August 16, 2017, 09:54:08 PM
QuoteIt's fun to cheer for the University of Oregon because they win a lot. Especially in the last 15 years. But Oregonians who want to avoid heartbreak in the long term should look to Linfield College, an Oregon team with a much better all-time win percentage than the Ducks

http://www.reviews.org/college-football-wins/
I was surprised to see that Mt. Union has only the 3rd best winning percentage for the stat of Ohio on this list.

UW-W and Linfield have identical .692 percentages according to the list. We are pretty spoiled to follow teams that win nearly 70% of their games over generations.

wildcat11

Bleed,

It's a lifestyle!

Posters and lurkers don't forget to check in with the NWC pick 'em board to let the group know if you're going to take part: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=6535.new#new

GustyJ

Quote from: DFWCrufan on August 23, 2017, 03:47:42 PM
That is interesting, so I am watching these two programs, GF and Southwestern In Texas and how well a new program (well relatively new) does in their prospective conferences. Now last season SW won the SCAC conference but lets be honest SCAC was on it back legs as a conference, but hey a title is still a title. But what I do like is the climate and culture of the program (Southwestern) really upbeat and wanting to make strides.
So I ask this of the GF fans, what is the climate and culture of GF concerning their football program? As far as I can see as a outsider it's seems to be pretty solid.

I think the climate is quite positive. We're pleased with the work Coach Casey has done so far, and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised to see a winning record in only the third year back. Where we can improve is the culture outside the game, but I think that's a product of re-starting the program from scratch. The crowd still has a lot to learn; we aren't quite loud enough for my taste, especially in 3rd/4th down situations, but we're getting better. Tailgating was non-existent for the first two seasons, but it's slowly gaining traction. The overall community is also slowly getting on board with support, and though it'll be a while before the team is the pride and joy of the city like Linfield is for McMinnville, I think the potential is there. I mean we're only 60 straight winning seasons behind them; no biggie, right?
Go Bruins!

wildcat11

going out to a number of practices and man our defensive front seven could be pretty damn good. 

Offense has good and bad moments...still finding each other but there is a ton of talent there.

OldCatProf

Ran across an interesting piece online today at HeroSports.com titled The Best College Football Teams by State, Regardless of Division (2017).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/the-best-college-football-teams-by-state-regardless-of-division-2017/ss-AAqycuT?ocid=spartanntp

Anyone interested in knowing which NCAA team in Oregon was selected?
"My only feeling about superstition is that it's unlucky to be behind at the end of the game."
Duffy Daughterty