BB: West Region Independents

Started by Ralph Turner, December 30, 2005, 02:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbaikie

Yes, sorry for the shorthand -

the actual name is Claremont McKenna College.

rbaikie

BigPoppa

Huge regional series this weekend as McMurry(TX) travels to So Cal to Chapman in a three-game series.

Should be a great series to watch... DH on Friday and a single game on Saturday... any predictions?

Ralph, does McMurry have the firepower to take a game or two from Chapman?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Tom Brady

I am going to give McMurry a slight chance to win one of the games due to Chapman probably not having the pitching.  I could be wrong.

Texas teams have never really done well against the West coast teams, and I really don't see that changing any time soon.  Much different baseball in Texas than California.

Ralph Turner

I think that Greg Erickson can match well with any #1 pitcher.

It will be the #2  and #3 that pique my curiosity. :)

Texas Lutheran has already beaten Trinity 4-3, so the ASC-West will be tough again this year.  (They also swept NAIA Huston-Tillotson.)

http://www.tlu.edu/athletics/baseball/

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 16, 2006, 02:35:41 PM
I think that Greg Erickson can match well with any #1 pitcher.

It will be the #2  and #3 that pique my curiosity. :)

Friday's opener should be a great game with McMurry's Erickson vs Chapman's Klovstad(returning All-American)... I am a bit wary of Chapman's #2/#3 myself... this will be a great test to see if they can step up. It should make for a an entertaining weeknd of baseball. I am trying to squeeze a game or two in on Friday.

Ralph Turner

Chapman's Tyler Dean  hit for the cycle in back-to-back games last weekend against Pomona-Pitzer.

Tom Brady

That is amazing!  It would be something to do it once in a lifetime, but back to back games :o
Looks like Chapman is rolling right along with their only loss to Cal Lu.  I know they have McMurry in town this weekend and it looks like they won the first game pretty 8-1 and the 2nd game got rained out in the middle.  Congrats to Tyler Dean.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Rick Vaughn on February 17, 2006, 10:51:07 PM
That is amazing!  It would be something to do it once in a lifetime, but back to back games :o
Looks like Chapman is rolling right along with their only loss to Cal Lu.  I know they have McMurry in town this weekend and it looks like they won the first game pretty 8-1 and the 2nd game got rained out in the middle.  Congrats to Tyler Dean.

Are they playing the cpmpletion and the third game tomorrow(Saturday)?

Ralph Turner

Klovstad got the win in the first game.

http://www1.chapman.edu/athletics/05-06/baseball/mcm-cu1.htm

Dickerhoff started for McMurry in the first game.

McM led 4-1 in the top of the 4th.  No box score or battery yet.

They will complete the 2nd and play the 3rd.

BigPoppa

McMurry won both games today at Chapman. McMurry beat them 9-5 in the completion of last night's suspended game and finished them off 8-5 in game #2. It looks like we were right about Chapman's pitching depth. Seems as if the #2/#3 are not nearly as nails as their #1. Congrats to McMurry and a great series. This could set up a great regional rematch...

bergybit

Menlo lost 2 of 3 this past weekend to Willamette (Northwest Conference).  Willamette's picked to finish 6th. in the 9-team NWC.   As a Willamette fan interested in figuring out how W. stacks up (they have a lot of underclassmen playing and on the bench, but are 5-1, having taken 3 prior games from Occidental), I was wondering what the projections are for Menlo?  Are they considered to be a fairly good team?

BigPoppa

Menlo is traditionally not a top quality baseball school... I know they have been steadily improving in the last few years, but they still have a long way to go in order have any impact on the regional level. I may be wrong, but then again, Willamette may be the real deal as well.

Ralph Turner

Howard Payne defeated UDallas 6-5 on Feb 21st.

BigPoppa

Chapman sweeps Menlo on Saturday 10-3 in game #1 and 15-0 in the nightcap.