FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: bports on March 04, 2018, 09:33:56 AM
Brockport will be even better this year then last. With the 7 transfers from scholarship schools and a seriously sick recruiting class the depth will be crazy. They have 2 lbers coming in from troy and Maryland that are both crazy good. You can never factor in everything but the talent level at Bport next year will be even better!!

"7 transfers from scholarship schools" in one year and "LB's from Troy and Maryland". You might be too young or if not an age thing, you might not know what I'm talking about...................but I think that we have found our new "Rowan of the 1990's". They were a D-1 transfer factory under K.C. Keeler and the program fell back to mediocrity once the factory closed.

I hoped we had seen the last of it.......................but it sounds as if the factory is re-opening (having nothing to do with tax cuts and the threat of tariffs ;) ) but being moved from South Jersey to Upstate New York. Yick!!

D3viewer

Well...you don't like transfers fine. But last year you also complained Brockport's offensive line was too big for your tastes. None of them were transfers. So how should Brockport recruit that suits you ? And still be able to compete for a National Title like so many others are trying to do ? Does Mount Union have transfers ? That is the team everyone is trying to beat. Give us your formula.

jknezek

Quote from: D3viewer on March 17, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
Well...you don't like transfers fine. But last year you also complained Brockport's offensive line was too big for your tastes. None of them were transfers. So how should Brockport recruit that suits you ? And still be able to compete for a National Title like so many others are trying to do ? Does Mount Union have transfers ? That is the team everyone is trying to beat. Give us your formula.

UMU does it by being UMU. A 30 year non-stop winning tradition with no senior class graduating without a Walnut and Bronze. Overall, I'm willing to bet UMU is a net transfer negative. In other words, more transfer out than in. When you bring in over 100 first years, and a serious number of those 100 are players that could play at a higher level but want the almost guaranteed shot to win a National Title, you just keep on rolling. A pedigree of players with shots at the pros and an easily demonstrated coaching tree also help. Being in a football hotbed also helps. And having the support of the school that knows its reputation is buttered by the football team doesn't hurt.

UMU has a lot going for it that no one else can match and a lot of other things that other schools try to match, but I wouldn't say transfers are one of those things. That being said, transfers aren't necessarily a bad thing. Just those of us that remember Shades (Shady) Keeler tend to be unimpressed with trying to win with that kind of program. You can do it, but it's not always the prettiest way to go.

skunks_sidekick

Quote from: jknezek on March 17, 2018, 08:48:58 PM

UMU does it by being UMU. A 30 year non-stop winning tradition with no senior class graduating without a Walnut and Bronze. Overall, I'm willing to bet UMU is a net transfer negative. In other words, more transfer out than in. When you bring in over 100 first years, and a serious number of those 100 are players that could play at a higher level but want the almost guaranteed shot to win a National Title, you just keep on rolling. A pedigree of players with shots at the pros and an easily demonstrated coaching tree also help. Being in a football hotbed also helps. And having the support of the school that knows its reputation is buttered by the football team doesn't hurt.

UMU has a lot going for it that no one else can match and a lot of other things that other schools try to match, but I wouldn't say transfers are one of those things. That being said, transfers aren't necessarily a bad thing. Just those of us that remember Shades (Shady) Keeler tend to be unimpressed with trying to win with that kind of program. You can do it, but it's not always the prettiest way to go.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.  Mount gets transfers on occasion, but as Jkn stated, at the end of the year there is a net negative sum with all the kids that wanted to play for a national championship when the enrolled as freshman, who soon realized that their chance of getting on the field was slim and/or they just didn't want to work that hard.  The number one key to their success (besides having one of the greatest coaches ever & their continued success) was the clear effort and push of the administration to embrace a winning football program as a great tool to grow enrollment & especially male enrollment.

D3viewer

Willy P has hired former Salisbury QB Dustin Johnson as their new Head Coach. He comes from Stevenson out of the MAC where he has been the DC for the last few years. Wonder if he'll bring the option to North Jersey. Looks like he did a good job as DC there. Will be facing his alma mater in conf play.
http://gomustangsports.com/sports/fball/coaches/Johnson_Dustin?view=bio

Swish3

Quote from: D3viewer on March 21, 2018, 06:22:14 PM
Willy P has hired former Salisbury QB Dustin Johnson as their new Head Coach. He comes from Stevenson out of the MAC where he has been the DC for the last few years. Wonder if he'll bring the option to North Jersey. Looks like he did a good job as DC there. Will be facing his alma mater in conf play.

Sounds like a good hire, but he'll have his work cut out for him...he was a heck of a player! 

If you're going to compete in the NJAC consistently, it starts w/line play...I know that basically goes w/out saying for any team, but it's been pretty obvious to me that CNU has struggled at the line of scrimmage too often since joining the conference. 

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on March 19, 2018, 01:31:19 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself.  Mount gets transfers on occasion, but as Jkn stated, at the end of the year there is a net negative sum with all the kids that wanted to play for a national championship when the enrolled as freshman, who soon realized that their chance of getting on the field was slim and/or they just didn't want to work that hard.  The number one key to their success (besides having one of the greatest coaches ever & their continued success) was the clear effort and push of the administration to embrace a winning football program as a great tool to grow enrollment & especially male enrollment.

I can't follow all of the thread to see who made the comment, but it was sooooooooo spot on. "just those of us that remember Shades (Shady) Keeler tend to be unimpressed with trying to win with THAT kind of program....................it's not always the prettiest way to go".

I would venture to say that some on the board are too new/young to even know who Keeler was/is and what the story was at Rowan at that slimy time and some on the board were around, but never had a chance to peek under the covers and see the mess. From friends who are alums and a close friend who's son played QB there, I could write a book.

As far as the transfer situation, it is what it is. I'm not impressed by the schools who win based on bringing in D-1, D-1AA (refuse to use the goofy FCS........although I love how they settle it on the field vs. D-1) and D-2 talent.................and line up and whip D-3 level talent week after week (I watch private high schools in the Philadelphia area whip their Public counterparts in basketball by 50-60 points and jump around like they own the place. The stacked team should monkey stomp the inferior team. Those private high schools don't impress me one bit!!). And while I love, love, love the UMU program and what it has become over the years, the comment above about "a serious number of those 100 are players that could play at a higher level but want the almost guaranteed shot to win a National Title" and as a result, "a pedigree of players with shots at the pros" is so Kevin Durant signing with the Warriors to me!!

I don't want to quantify what the poster meant by a "serious number" of the 100 could play at a higher level, but let's call it a third. Hell, let's call it a quarter. Let's even bang it down to a tenth (anything less is not a "serious" number). 10 key players (a tenth of the 100), in various positions on the field, having the ability to play at the D-1, D-1AA or D2 level COMING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL (vs. having a very late growth spurt, think Carson Wentz, and becoming that level of athlete by their junior or senior year) are lining up, during the regular season, against teams with D-3 talent (I'll exclude John Carroll).........you'd better whip most teams butts. This is not to take away from the program nor the players but if the MAC (the D-1AA MAC) or Youngstown State or North Dakota State come calling, offering me a free education worth $200,000, based on their evaluation that my talent level fits into their team and their conference......................and I reject them all because I want to play down a level or two and win a national championship..............wow!!!! If you've got a dozen or two on a team that chose that path........double wow!!!

I get interested come the semifinals and championship game, but the regular season can be a snoozefest when Goliath is taking David's lunch money and spanking him. Kevin Durant took the easy way out in joining three other All Stars. He didn't set the bar high by wanting to beat the very team that he had down 3 games to 1 and lost............he lowered the bar and joined them! Miami of Ohio (very good school) comes calling with a scholarship offer to compete for a chance to get time at linebacker...........I'm taking the challenge, while taking their $200,000 in scholarship money. You'd better be racking up the national championships with a serious number of players who could be playing at a higher level..........with some having a pedigree with a shot at the pros.  Just my two cents.............it's worth two cents less than that. ;)

........................and don't get me started on the cost discrepancies between the public and private colleges (when in the same conference) AND the insane financial aid package differences between private colleges. My head will explode.  :o

pumkinattack

Life ain't fair.  Part of
The education of a student athlete (as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI).

Rowan and Keeler will never shed this reputation, was it worth it?  A college many consider a place filled with non students and whom will do anything to win.  Not unfair, Keelwr had bosses.  There's lots of costs to it.  Not picking on Brockport but it's a regional state school that will never be able to
Grow too
Much due to the structure of the N.Y. state allocation of resources (there's a four U oversight Center system and won't be a fifth, kind of like the Cal state system) so beockport is always going to be what it is as a school.theres no opportunity to suddenly kick start an endowment like a Grinnell or Emory in any way that would change the profile so there's probably more asymmetric upside to trying to make extracurriculars more successful than anywhere else in the institution.  Rowan is (now) Private (I believe) so the cost of making such choices is much higher.  The reputation will always carry a cost.

Before facemasks

Rowan remains a public university, even after the name change.

dlippiel

dlip agrees with this wholeheartedly but what does this mean in regards to comparing the "caliber" of the average player out east, and around most of DIII to what UMU gets? IDHO many of the players on UMU could play at a higher level however they choose not to because of how awesome the UMU program is. dlip bets very few, if any, transfer to UMU from a level above. In Ohio, even though UMU plays on the DIII level, dlip guesses that playing there carries the respectability and stature of playing at a higher level (rightfully so). Hence there is no need to transfer down to UMU because really the level of play is right up there and as close as one can get to the big boys (Ohio State, etc).

As a matter of fact to dlip, he thinks that unless you are a relative of Christ himself, it would be a poor choice to transfer to UMU because you wouldn't be guaranteed playing time anyway which is one of the reasons student athletes transfer in the first place. Where if you are an unhappy player at a D1, D1 FCS, or D2 school and you definitely want to play/star you'll hit a place like Bport (or Rowan between 2 and 4 decades ago) to get on the field and be relevant ASAP.

Just some thoughts...who knows if they make sense? Dlip is stuffing his face, eating lunch AFAP and typing this while his kiddos are at recess.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: D3viewer on March 21, 2018, 06:22:14 PM

We wish Dustin the best at Willy P, I am confident he can change the culture for them, he has experience in recruiting along the Mid-Atlantic and New Jersey. I'm hoping for great success with them winning all their games except against my Seagulls.

ITH radio

Hoping it goes well for Matt Gono in his visit with the Vikings. I attended a game at their new stadium last September and was really impressed. No wonder it hosted the Super Bowl - really an amazing place for football.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

cmackowiakSGSN

Next NJAC season, Salisbury Football will look across the field and see a familiar face on the William Paterson sideline. Read about Dustin Johnson's journey to quarterback SU and his first collegiate head coaching job.
https://thesuflyer.com/2018/04/10/former-sea-gull-qb-takes-the-reins-of-wpu-football/

Swish3

Quote from: cmackowiakSGSN on April 10, 2018, 10:17:49 AM
Next NJAC season, Salisbury Football will look across the field and see a familiar face on the William Paterson sideline. Read about Dustin Johnson's journey to quarterback SU and his first collegiate head coaching job.
https://thesuflyer.com/2018/04/10/former-sea-gull-qb-takes-the-reins-of-wpu-football/

Nice article, Chris!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: pumkinattack on March 28, 2018, 08:11:44 AM
Life ain't fair.  Part of
The education of a student athlete (as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI).

Rowan and Keeler will never shed this reputation, was it worth it?  A college many consider a place filled with non students and whom will do anything to win.  Not unfair, Keelwr had bosses.  There's lots of costs to it.  Not picking on Brockport but it's a regional state school that will never be able to
Grow too
Much due to the structure of the N.Y. state allocation of resources (there's a four U oversight Center system and won't be a fifth, kind of like the Cal state system) so beockport is always going to be what it is as a school.theres no opportunity to suddenly kick start an endowment like a Grinnell or Emory in any way that would change the profile so there's probably more asymmetric upside to trying to make extracurriculars more successful than anywhere else in the institution.  Rowan is (now) Private (I believe) so the cost of making such choices is much higher.  The reputation will always carry a cost.

Let's be careful in lumping every D-I school together (the Ivy League, Patriot League, the service academies, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and many other institutions would certainly challenge that "as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI" comment). Remember, there is probably an even wider divide in the D-III student-athlete world when you compare a couple conferences like the NESCAC, UAA, Centennial......too pick just a few................with the shenanigans that were going on in the Shady Keeler days at Rowan. I could write a novel. All D-III's are not created equal.......nor are all D-I's. You get superb, great good, average, poor and piss poor student athletes coming out of all of the NCAA divisions.