FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 09, 2017, 12:30:43 PM
How many conference games will CAU have ?
CUA will have 7 conference games since the NEWMAC is now an 8-team conference.  The Cardinals start the ooc portion of their 2017 season with McDaniel, Utica and RMC.

jknezek

Oh you were asking who the ODAC would try and take from the USAS given a choice? I would say Ferrum or Averett. Again though, I'm thinking there is no way the ODAC can get the votes to expand in all sports. Just my gut feeling and what I heard from someone who probably has no inside information, but it makes sense. And you aren't going to poach a USAS member just for football without the USAS's blessing.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on May 09, 2017, 01:36:13 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on May 09, 2017, 01:29:00 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the series is tied.

7-7 yes. A very streaky series. W&L lost the first 4, won the next 5. Then lost 2, won 2, lost the last 1.
Well, I guess you'll have to prepare yourself for another L if the series resumes. 8-)
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on May 09, 2017, 01:59:52 PM

7-7 yes. A very streaky series. W&L lost the first 4, won the next 5. Then lost 2, won 2, lost the last 1.
Well, I guess you'll have to prepare yourself for another L if the series resumes. 8-)

I would like to see the series resume. Especially if it was h/h in off years with Sewanee. I'd probably drive up and watch it. Love the area Maryville is in, and it would be the second closest game for me. I'd be interested in how the teams match up over more than a year or two as well.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on May 09, 2017, 01:44:03 PM
Oh you were asking who the ODAC would try and take from the USAS given a choice? I would say Ferrum or Averett. Again though, I'm thinking there is no way the ODAC can get the votes to expand in all sports. Just my gut feeling and what I heard from someone who probably has no inside information, but it makes sense. And you aren't going to poach a USAS member just for football without the USAS's blessing.

True, but then again, the USAC is getting a little large with the new expansion. Pfeiffer and Berea are joining Brevard as a new members making the total around 19 including the 9 aforementioned football schools. A school like Ferrum or Averett that sponsor all, or nearly all, the same sports as other ODAC teams might think about the possibility. Not to mention the ODAC is all VA and one NC school (which isn't too far into NC) and the USAC will stretch from Kentucky and Virginia down to Georgia and Alabama.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on May 09, 2017, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on May 09, 2017, 01:59:52 PM

I would like to see the series resume. Especially if it was h/h in off years with Sewanee. I'd probably drive up and watch it. Love the area Maryville is in, and it would be the second closest game for me. I'd be interested in how the teams match up over more than a year or two as well.

I mentioned a year or so ago the founder of MC, Isaac Anderson, was a "W&L" man himself (it was called Washington Academy or Liberty Hall, I think?). It would be a great series to get back going. Maybe in MC's bicentennial year in 2019??

Maryville is a great area...that's why I left Tigerville and moved back.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on May 09, 2017, 02:06:04 PM

True, but then again, the USAC is getting a little large with the new expansion. Pfeiffer and Berea are joining Brevard as a new members making the total around 19 including the 9 aforementioned football schools. A school like Ferrum or Averett that sponsor all, or nearly all, the same sports as other ODAC teams might think about the possibility. Not to mention the ODAC is all VA and one NC school (which isn't too far into NC) and the USAC will stretch from Kentucky and Virginia down to Georgia and Alabama.

Oh I see the incentive. I just don't think the ODAC as a whole is going to vote in a new member, even if the 7 football schools are crying out for it. I think the ODAC and USAS are the two biggest conferences in DIII. I'm not sure why the USAS keeps expanding, frankly. I'm also amazed with all those members that the USAS doesn't sponsor track and field, swimming, and men's lacrosse, though I believe that last one may be coming.

Scots13

Lacrosse is coming to MC soon. Spoke with the AD about it last year. Wrestling is also in the mix.
T&F is also one of those "duh" sports. You can rent the facilities if you don't have the funds or real estate on campus to support it.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on May 09, 2017, 02:48:22 PM
Lacrosse is coming to MC soon. Spoke with the AD about it last year. Wrestling is also in the mix.
T&F is also one of those "duh" sports. You can rent the facilities if you don't have the funds or real estate on campus to support it.

It would be good to have some more southern wrestling teams. W&L has to be an affiliate with the Centennial since the ODAC doesn't sponsor it. Funny. For years Title IX had ADs chopping men's fringe sports to make budget instead of expanding the budget, now that more women are going to college than men, there is a movement toward adding men's sports to try and even out the numbers. Be interesting to see how long this push lasts and how it works out.

hasanova

ODAC expansion is more than geography ... I don't think the ODAC would invite Ferrum or Averett.

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on May 09, 2017, 04:03:51 PM
ODAC expansion is more than geography ... I don't think the ODAC would invite Ferrum or Averett.

Beggars and choosers right now Hasa if you are expanding for football. Averett generally ranks higher than Ferrum, which ranks higher than NC Wes which tops Greensboro... Frankly Agnes Scott might be one of the highest ranking colleges in the USAS, but they aren't going to add football, neither is Covenant who might come next. But generally I think it is a dead issue, as I don't think the ODAC will invite anyone for all sports.

HSCTiger fan

If the ODAC will not invite a team for all sports. Then best bet IMO is SVA. They are football only in NJAC.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

Lets start some H&H with WIAC. We'll kick it off by playing Platteville next year. Can only make us better

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 10, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
Lets start some H&H with WIAC. We'll kick it off by playing Platteville next year. Can only make us better

Sure. It's only 1049 miles from Guilford to UW-EC. Who's up for that 20+ hour ride each way?

tigerFanAlso2

obviously requires a flight.