FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 10, 2017, 03:54:44 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 10, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
Lets start some H&H with WIAC. We'll kick it off by playing Platteville next year. Can only make us better

Sure. It's only 1049 miles from Guilford to UW-EC. Who's up for that 20+ hour ride each way?
In related news, the temperature in hell is now 28 degrees F.

tigerFanAlso2

all is good, difference in opinion is healthy; reality check for odac football, those schools desiring a 10 game schedule w/o playing a conference opponent twice, will need to fly somewhere every other year. As JK pointed out, other conferences facing the same issue are no where close to Va/NC, driving is not an option.
So if in fact the odac has no interest in adding other schools for all sports and SVA desires to stay put, short of VWC/RC/EMU/RC starting a football program, options are limited, could include dates with the Davidson Colleges 's of the world.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 11, 2017, 12:05:10 PM
all is good, difference in opinion is healthy; reality check for odac football, those schools desiring a 10 game schedule w/o playing a conference opponent twice, will need to fly somewhere every other year. As JK pointed out, other conferences facing the same issue are no where close to Va/NC, driving is not an option.
So if in fact the odac has no interest in adding other schools for all sports and SVA desires to stay put, short of VWC/RC/EMU/RC starting a football program, options are limited, could include dates with the Davidson Colleges 's of the world.
Actually, I think the current ODAC school most likely to possibly add football is the one you perhaps inadvertently omitted:  LC.

jknezek

Because I'm annoyingly nosy about such things and didn't want to wait for the ODAC to put out their press release regarding the Commissioner's Cups, I built my own calculator.

Suffice to say, by my calculations, W&L Men and Women ran away with the titles. On the Men's side, W&L was followed by RMC, Lynchburg, and Bridgewater. On the Women's side, W&L was followed by RMC, Lynchburg and Bridgewater. Hmm.  I'm guessing we can guess at the Overall, but it was W&L followed by RMC, Lynchburg and Bridgewater. 

My numbers may be moderately off as I'm not entirely sure I accounted for ties in the standings correctly.

The really impressive thing that I noticed is that with the exception of Men's basketball, W&L's Men did not finish more than two points back in any sport. That means they finished no worse than tied for second. Participating in every Men's sport, W&L accumulated 98 of 109 possible points, dropping 6 of those 11 in Basketball. Every year basketball lags, but I'll take our mid-pack finish this year over some of the years we've had.

For the Women, They finished outside the top 2 (including ties) in only 2 sports, Basketball and Equestrian. The Women did not compete in softball. They earned 100.5 of a possible 117 points, dropping 7 in Basketball and 4 in Equestrian.

If my calculations are correct, this is the first time the Men have scored a higher percentage of possible points, an amazing 89.9% for the Men vs 85.9% for the Women, since 2012/13 school year. Again, if I'm correct, the Men's 89.9% is the highest percentage in Commissioner Cup history, topping the 2015/16 W&L Women at 89.5%.

To put those numbers in perspective, RMC took 77.5% of possible Men's points and 73.9% of Women's points. The W&L combined score of 87.8% of possible points compares to RMC at 75.6%. Since the calculation method changed in 08/09, W&L's 87.8% is an all-time high, topping last year's 86.9%.

I will be interested to check my numbers against the actual results.

tigerFanAlso2

yep, forgot about LC. I hold little hope for any start up programs coming from w/I odac but any thing is possible. Costs vs. benefit ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 11, 2017, 01:14:11 PM
yep, forgot about LC. I hold little hope for any start up programs coming from w/I odac but any thing is possible. Costs vs. benefit ?

I can't really speak to the economics of it all, but there are a few concepts we can work with.

Lynchburg's student body is only 40% male. If that is judged a problem football might be a possible addition. Football and Swimming are the only Men's sports Lynchburg doesn't sponsor, and with no Women's swim team I'm guessing there is no natatorium on campus. I can't find one listed in their facilities, nor a club swimming program. Football, played in the lacrosse/soccer stadium, might be considered cheaper to add versus adding a designated swimming facility. Shellenberger is already a turf field so could probably hold up to the extra pounding. I'm not sure about adding locker rooms, training room space, meeting room space, coaching offices, weight room space, practice field space (soccer and football would be hard pressed to practice on the same field), etc. When it all adds up, maybe building a pool would be cheaper, but you would still need some of these other facilities.

Lynchburg does compete in all Women's sports besides swimming and golf, and with a men's golf team they could probably add golf if they needed more Women's athletic opportunities to offset a possible football team. Golf team wouldn't add much though.

With 2200 students, 40% male is 880 men. If they add 100 football players to the current student body it would go to 43% male. Not really moving the needle and I'd be interested to know if they have space and facilities for 100 more students. On the other hand, if they kept the same enrollment, went to 980 men and cut 100 women, they would reach almost 45% men's enrollment. But you might be dropping some quality women in favor of football players, and that can upset people and rankings.

There really isn't a right or wrong answer here. But, by gender ratio and facilities for athletics, it seems like football could be something worth looking into.

tigerFanAlso2

if it makes sense financially, one would think LC would have already made the move. feasibility study both inexpensive with quick turnaround.

jknezek

Interesting as I looked deeper. E&H (men's), Bridgewater (men's), Roanoke (men's and women's), Randolph (men's and women's) and Va Wes (men's and women's) are all adding swimming this upcoming year. I know the ODAC only recently started sponsoring men's swimming, but this is kind of an explosion.

It shows that athletic departments are willing to keep growing their offerings, so maybe we will get one to bite on football. It does look like Lynchburg is the one school not expanding right now of the non-football schools.

hasanova

jknezek

I'm just going to say how impressed I am with the ODAC office. Last year I emailed the ODAC President and got a very quick response. This time I sent something over to the Director of Championships and got a nice personal response back from the Associate Commissioner.

tigerFanAlso2

good to hear, now politely ask them to find some more football playing schools, quickly !!!!!

jknezek

Funny you should say that. In a follow up email I did put something about that, though less pointed, in a comment. Wondering if I will get a response.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 16, 2017, 09:01:30 PM
Funny you should say that. In a follow up email I did put something about that, though less pointed, in a comment. Wondering if I will get a response.
I will be very interested in their potential reply.

tigerFanAlso2

let's hope they have a plan. let us know if you get a response.

jknezek

I'm not holding my breath. It wasn't so much a question begging an answer as a statement expressing a hope. If I do get a response, I'm thinking it wouldn't hold anything interesting. We will see. Something for the off-season, right?