FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on May 22, 2017, 08:34:29 PM
Quote from: jknezek on May 22, 2017, 05:46:01 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 22, 2017, 01:53:19 PM
TigerFan you are correct; that trip was a pain for all concerned; 11 hour bus trip, kids missed day of school, expensive, horrible competition, etc. As a result HSC never intended to travel that far north again, until now, but only because they can find no other 4th ooc game.

There is no doubt teams will be looking farther out than normal on a regular basis. The ODAC, as a whole, is probably one of the most compact leagues in the country. Especially for the geographically centered teams. Picking up extra overnight trips, while expensive and irritating, is really not that unusual across D3. The ODAC will adjust budgets or find other ways to make up for it until/unless another solution is found.

Distance from Guilford to Shenandoah? 274 miles. I believe that is the farthest in the ODAC. Distance from Huntingdon to NC Wesleyan? 625 miles. Belhaven to Sul Ross State? 899 miles. Sewanee to Trinity? 980 miles. Thomas More to Saint Vincent? 323 miles. Other than the Centennial Conference, ODAC schools have some of the shortest conference road trips in the South. By a pretty good margin. It's just going to be time to pull up the big boy panties, and pony up the dollars, more in line with other conferences until something changes.
Guilford to Shenandoah is probably the longest football trip, but I just looked up Emory to Virginia Beach for all other sports ... Google routes it via I-81 and I-64 for 407 miles and 6 hours and 6 minutes.  That's tough for a mid-week basketball, volleyball, lacrosse, etc. meeting.  The student athletes can easily be gone for 16 hours or more.

Yes. I was just sticking with football because that was the topic. A little more travel really isn't that unusual in DIII and I'm thinking we are just going to have to get used to it. Hopefully with a little more travel the 10 game schedule will stick. I'm with you guys that this is unfortunate and I'd like a different long term plan, but this is where the conference is at right now. Seems like it is a kind of wait and see for at least the next season or two.

tigerFanAlso2

HSC just announced class of 2021 includes 64 football players, largest recruiting class in the history of the program; kids from all states between and including Florida and Maryland. In addition, 4 transfers; 2 from CNU/2 from W&L. We'll see what happens and how many play/remain in the program.

HSCTiger fan

64 is a lot. But from what I understand the coaches as very pleased. QB transfer from WL was SC high school POY in 2015 and both transfers from CNU were VA All-State in 2015. One RB is his school's all time leading rusher. Several OLinemen are listed at 6'3" or taller weighing more than 275 lbs. I know bigger is not always better but you cannot coach size. TE are lister 6'4" or taller.  Several highly rated LBers and DLinemen and DBs.  Everything I've seen on film and everything I have heard from Top Secret (lol) sources is that several of these kids can contribute early.

With many starters and others in 2 deep returning hopefully this group of freshmen can help bring back HSC to form- perennially competing for ODAC in early November.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

On an unrelated note, I want to wish the W&L Women's Lax team good luck this weekend. They are in the Final Four and playing #1 ranked TCNJ at Roanoke Saturday. As a Regional Host, W&L's one-loss regular season was well-recognized and the women have played up to the expectations pushing through Mary Washington, Catholic, and William Smith in Lexington on their way to the Semi-finals. With 18 ODAC titles, and 17 NCAA appearances, the Generals have been building to this kind of run for a few years. Good luck this weekend and here's hoping the Generals win as the ODAC sponsors another NCAA championship!

tigerFanAlso2

Jk

I played golf this past Sunday with a bunch of W&L boys and they were following the game via phone. Congrats on the overtime victory and good luck in the final 4.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 24, 2017, 11:58:27 AM
Jk

I played golf this past Sunday with a bunch of W&L boys and they were following the game via phone. Congrats on the overtime victory and good luck in the final 4.

I was watching at home and I was nervous. They looked tired after the game the previous day ended really late after an interminable rain delay. Thanks though! TCNJ is going to be a serious challenge.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 24, 2017, 10:05:48 AM
On an unrelated note, I want to wish the W&L Women's Lax team good luck this weekend. They are in the Final Four and playing #1 ranked TCNJ at Roanoke Saturday. As a Regional Host, W&L's one-loss regular season was well-recognized and the women have played up to the expectations pushing through Mary Washington, Catholic, and William Smith in Lexington on their way to the Semi-finals. With 18 ODAC titles, and 17 NCAA appearances, the Generals have been building to this kind of run for a few years. Good luck this weekend and here's hoping the Generals win as the ODAC sponsors another NCAA championship!
Good luck to the Generals.

jknezek

I've got chores to do today but I can't stop watching the women's lax game. Now entering second overtime tied at 4. Been a heck of a game. W&L led for 2/3rds of the game before falling behind on 2 quick goals and getting one back just before the end of regulation to send it to overtime. Since then TCNJ dominated the first ot period, W&L the second.

Overall I think TCNJ is slightly better, but W&L has given them fits by taking their quality opportunities and playing strong defense.

jknezek

And just like that in the end of the second OT period TCNJ strikes the golden goal winner. Bummed for W&L but they busted hump all game and played hard. Congratulations on an excellent season.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 27, 2017, 02:14:37 PM
And just like that in the end of the second OT period TCNJ strikes the golden goal winner. Bummed for W&L but they busted hump all game and played hard. Congratulations on an excellent season.
Congratulations to the W&L women on a fine season.  There was another runner-up spot for the ODAC last week when Wittenberg came from 4 strokes down after 14 holes to tie and then pass Guilford on the last hole at the DIII golf championship.  I think the Tigers had 4 golfers birdie the 18th to win by 2.  Not sure where the W&L men finished, but I know they made the 36-hole cut.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hasanova on May 27, 2017, 11:32:02 PM
Not sure where the W&L men finished, but I know they made the 36-hole cut.

14th.

hasanova

jknezek

Congrats to the Guilford golf team. Quite a finish!

On another note, another 7 team conference added a member. The MIAA sucked it up and brought in Finlandia. If you want to know how far other conferences are willing to go, Finlandia to Adrian is 565 miles, 9:23 hours by Google maps. Albion is 9 hours away, Alma is 445, 7.5 hours, 530, 8:55 from Hope, 553, 9:12 from Kalamazoo, 8:41, 526 from Olivet, and 586, 9:34 from Trine.

So a conference whose previous longest road trip was probably something like Trine to Alma, 2:11, 145 miles, just picked up a team probably close to 9 hours, average, from the rest of the conference. Would you rather do an OOC road trip to New England once a year or lock in this kind of conference member until they find another option?

Just for kicks, Trine to W&L was 535, 8:44. They are actually closer to W&L than to their new conference member. Shame the ODAC just lost a 7 team conference they maybe could have worked with, even given long trips. Alma came to W&L the year before Shenandoah joined, so it shows the MIAA maybe would have been amenable.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on May 23, 2017, 10:56:11 AM
TigerFan you are correct; that trip was a pain for all concerned; 11 hour bus trip, kids missed day of school, expensive, horrible competition, etc. As a result HSC never intended to travel that far north again, until now, but only because they can find no other 4th ooc game.

There is no doubt teams will be looking farther out than normal on a regular basis. The ODAC, as a whole, is probably one of the most compact leagues in the country. Especially for the geographically centered teams. Picking up extra overnight trips, while expensive and irritating, is really not that unusual across D3. The ODAC will adjust budgets or find other ways to make up for it until/unless another solution is found.

Distance from Guilford to Shenandoah? 274 miles. I believe that is the farthest in the ODAC. Distance from Huntingdon to NC Wesleyan? 625 miles. Belhaven to Sul Ross State? 899 miles. Sewanee to Trinity? 980 miles. Thomas More to Saint Vincent? 323 miles. Other than the Centennial Conference, ODAC schools have some of the shortest conference road trips in the South. By a pretty good margin. It's just going to be time to pull up the big boy panties, and pony up the dollars, more in line with other conferences until something changes.
Guilford to Shenandoah is probably the longest football trip, but I just looked up Emory to Virginia Beach for all other sports ... Google routes it via I-81 and I-64 for 407 miles and 6 hours and 6 minutes.  That's tough for a mid-week basketball, volleyball, lacrosse, etc. meeting.  The student athletes can easily be gone for 16 hours or more.

Yes. I was just sticking with football because that was the topic. A little more travel really isn't that unusual in DIII and I'm thinking we are just going to have to get used to it. Hopefully with a little more travel the 10 game schedule will stick. I'm with you guys that this is unfortunate and I'd like a different long term plan, but this is where the conference is at right now. Seems like it is a kind of wait and see for at least the next season or two.

I read on FootballScoop earlier today UMHB is looking for a home and home beginning in 2018. I wonder who will have a tougher time: the ODAC finding a new member or the defending national champions finding a poor soul that wants to play them twice, once in TX?
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Scots13 on May 30, 2017, 03:38:56 PM
Quote from: jknezek on May 23, 2017, 10:56:11 AM

I read on FootballScoop earlier today UMHB is looking for a home and home beginning in 2018. I wonder who will have a tougher time: the ODAC finding a new member or the defending national champions finding a poor soul that wants to play them twice, once in TX?

I'd rather see HSC play UMHB than Apprentice.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"