FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

Nope, MC should play HSC if they are looking for ooc game. Put the two AD's together and get it done.

Scots13

I could stand a couple games with HSC, too. I'll put a bug into Kandi's ear if I see her at the scrimmage this weekend.

God knows we need to get Hanover off of the schedule. They served the purpose of filling a gap (ETSU game in '15), but they aren't doing us any favors. As it is now, MC might have one of the tougher schedules in the South Region on a full D3 schedule**. Berry (should compete for SAA title even though this is their 5th year), at E&H (ODAC pre-season #1), at Huntingdon (USAC pre-season t-1st). Maryville as a program is to the point where they need to have 3 tough OOC games every year especially since the bottom of the USAC is weak.

**Except for maybe HSC  8-)
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

tigerFanAlso2

hopefully HSC can climb their way back to being a tough out and fill that need for MC.

Scots13

Listen to Marty's ODAC interview--he references 2006 and the decade that followed. Might turn out were 2016 will be the same.
At least 1 ODAC coach thinks your Tigers has what it takes this year. Plot twist: it was Pedro.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

tigerFanAlso2

can't believe he would admit that even he believed it, but I'm pulling for it to happen. a few freshmen are going to have to step up and contribute, anything is possible especially this year in the odac.

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on August 15, 2017, 03:49:27 PM
Quote from: jknezek on August 15, 2017, 02:47:11 PM
Well I didn't see that coming. But I usually have a blind spot for E&H...

E&H might be a tough one the next two years. Looking at their roster, they have a good amount of production returning and not many seniors.

Heard a couple days back the MC/E&H series is going on hiatus again after this year and MC is returning back to Centre next fall. I wish they could find a way to have E&H and Centre both on the schedule since they are the longest running series Maryville has. Oh well.
I'm hoping with Ferrum jumping ship to the ODAC next year, MC drops that series and picks up another ODAC team. Guilford maybe? Ferrum will take the place of either Jacksonville or Davidson next year, potentially leaving another D3 slot open for hasa's boys. Hasa, any idea on future schedules for Guilford?
Hey, Scots13.  I'm pretty sure Methodist will remain on the schedule every year ... usually competitive and one of the least expensive travel games for both schools.  Greensboro may return at some point, but I suspect it will be 4 years or more.  I've heard Huntingdon is home and home for at least 2 years, so I think you'll see the Hawks in Greensboro in 2018.  I think I heard Davidson may be a multi-year deal ... and it's really close (85 miles) also, but it wouldn't surprise me if both games were in Davidson, NC.  I strongly suspect Jacksonville may be a one year deal ... in fact, NNA was originally on the schedule this season.  I believe Guilford wants at least a 9 game DIII schedule ... and certainly five home games.  Since Guilford has a 4 home, 2 away ODAC schedule this year, I really think Ferrum will be a home ODAC game for the Quakers in 2018.  With Methodist and Huntingdon ooc at home in 2018, that will be five home games.  Don't know if Maryville would be in the ooc mix ... I would like it ... the two schools have played before.  Don't be surprised if Guilford plays Brevard from time to time.  And as much as it doesn't add a lot of variety, Averett is the second closest DIII travel option after Greensboro College.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

I admit GC has a very difficult schedule this season for the month of September; however having 4 of the 6 odac games at home is a real bonus and could go along way to determining the conference championship; greatly increases GC's opportunity to walk away with the trophy. Good luck to your guys this year.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 16, 2017, 03:45:58 PM
Hasa

I admit GC has a very difficult schedule this season for the month of September; however having 4 of the 6 odac games at home is a real bonus and could go along way to determining the conference championship; greatly increases GC's opportunity to walk away with the trophy. Good luck to your guys this year.
Yeah, tfa2, thanks.  I was a bit disappointed when I saw 4 home, 6 away and no home game until October in 2017, but ... as you note ... any coach would take a 4 to 2 home slate in conference.  I saw where GC was tabbed 6th in preseason ... I suppose a lot of that is based on the unexpected collapse at the end of 2016.  I personally think we'll have a winning record this season and may at least have an impact on who wins the ODAC.  I would love to win it, but will settle for spoiler at this point.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Scots13 on August 15, 2017, 04:34:24 PM
Listen to Marty's ODAC interview--he references 2006 and the decade that followed. Might turn out were 2016 will be the same.
At least 1 ODAC coach thinks your Tigers has what it takes this year. Plot twist: it was Pedro.

Pedro would not vote HSC first if only HSC and RMC were in the conference.  He's got a "love to hate HSC" illness.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Birddawg79

Question for you guys in the know.
At what point does a program consider moving up or down in divisions? Enrollment? Winning %? And does the whole AD move up or own as well or can it be sport specific?

jknezek

Quote from: Birddawg79 on August 17, 2017, 01:00:39 PM
Question for you guys in the know.
At what point does a program consider moving up or down in divisions? Enrollment? Winning %? And does the whole AD move up or own as well or can it be sport specific?

Every program must move. And I doubt it is any of the above. Mostly it has to do with how to make the most of limited resources. If you think a DII program will gain you more enrollment than it will cost in scholarship and travel time, and you think you can be competitive, then it makes sense. The other major factor is conference identification. Schools like to be with like schools, but they also like to be with travel minimizing conferences. So over the years we've seen some schools in the Deep South go DII because there was a conference that was a better fit, and now we see some move back because there are more conferences in DIII in the area.

One of the reasons FL has no DIII schools is there is no DIII conference. You need some critical mass. NAIA has suffered as their critical mass has dissipated in the northeast. But they still do quite well in the West because they have a lot of schools in areas where, especially DIII, is scarce.

I really don't think winning percentage plays a big roll. Nor does enrollment, as you see from Montclair State. But I think if the NJAC public schools went DII, it wouldn't stand out, after all the PSAC is essentially a DII league for PA state schools. Same with the WIAC, though there is a law in WI that stands in the way. On the other hand, there are some very small DII schools and schools like Mississippi College have moved from D3 to D2 in the recent past. There is speculation Thomas More may be looking at that route as well as a few other schools here and there. Then there is the curious case of McMurry, which not long ago went transitional to DII and didn't even finish the transition years before transitioning back to DIII.

It really is mostly about finances in my opinion. How to make the most while spending the most effectively.

y_jack_lok

^^^ That was interesting. Thanks for those insights. Seven or eight years ago a D3 school out here in Saint Louis  (Maryville -- MO) moved to D2. In reading some of the things they said about why the change I got the sense that it was very much for several of the reasons you cite -- institutional identity and being in competition with similar schools. I also think (could be wrong about this) that D2 schools are not required to sponsor as many sports as D3 schools, thus allowing them to reduce the number of sports offerd (if they want to) while providing scholarships and possibly not increasing the athletic budget by much -- or not at all.

HSCTiger fan

HSC practiced with Ferrum yesterday. From what I hear the Tigers looked pretty good. HSC scrimmages Greensboro next Saturday in Richmond at Redskins practice facility. Then it's game on from there!
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

tigerFan

What are you talking about ? HSC scrimmaged Ferrum yesterday ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 18, 2017, 09:04:42 AM
tigerFan

What are you talking about ? HSC scrimmaged Ferrum yesterday ?

He said joint practice, not scrimmage.