FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

I got my response to the football issue. Not much to report except I got a nice humorous indication that they are aware of our little community here.

The Associate Commissioner was kind enough to take the time to explain a few areas where my calculations for the Commissioner's Cup were wrong, and wrote that the actual results will pop out tomorrow. I suppose I'll update my sheet so I can keep my overly nosy self updated next year.

Again, it's just exceptionally nice that they are so responsive.

tigerFanAlso2

I find very little humor having a 7 team football league, hope odac office has a plan and if so, hope they are successful in it's execution. I think reasonable solutions have been addressed on this board, to include a few unreasonable solutions. 

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 18, 2017, 11:17:24 AM
I find very little humor having a 7 team football league, hope odac office has a plan and if so, hope they are successful in it's execution. I think reasonable solutions have been addressed on this board, to include a few unreasonable solutions.

The response was mildly humorous, but I doubt they find the situation funny. I'd post the relevant part of the response but it was sent to me personally and I wouldn't do that without permission even if I think the sender probably wouldn't mind. But regardless, if there was any news to report, it really wasn't going to be leaked to me in response to a random email, so the mildly humorous response I got was appropriate and appreciated.

tigerFanAlso2

one thing for sure, time will tell how long the odac remains a 7 team conference. no need to speculate, an announcement will be made if or when another football playing school is added. hoping it happens in my life time. we'll continue to schedule as we are forced to schedule. 

Scots13

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 18, 2017, 02:49:41 PM
one thing for sure, time will tell how long the odac remains a 7 team conference. no need to speculate, an announcement will be made if or when another football playing school is added. hoping it happens in my life time. we'll continue to schedule as we are forced to schedule.

If you don't already, start drinking Maker's in your coffee and smoking cigars...you might live as long as Richard Overton (WWII vet who just celebrated his 111th birthday).  It's bound to happen by your 111th birthday  ;D
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

tigerFanAlso2

cigars and scotch for me !!! Not sure I want to hit 111 years old but it might take that long(49 years) for the odac to find some more football schools !!!!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 19, 2017, 08:35:32 AM
cigars and scotch for me !!! Not sure I want to hit 111 years old but it might take that long(49 years) for the odac to find some more football schools !!!!!

To be fair, we haven't even played a season with 7 again and Catholic only announced they were leaving around a year ago. Every ODAC team has 10 games this year, so while I think grumbling and concerns about the future are more than justified, we haven't hit crisis time yet...

tigerFanAlso2

Well sort of, crisis almost hit HSC for the 2017 schedule; could not get a 4th ooc game, Platteville fell in our lap at the last minute. there were no other alternatives for HSC. w/o UMP HSC has a 9 game schedule in 2017. As we have beat to death, gets harder going forward. I'm hearing we are forced to travel to New England in 2018, that cannot be fun and will be expensive.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 19, 2017, 11:38:40 AM
Well sort of, crisis almost hit HSC for the 2017 schedule; could not get a 4th ooc game, Platteville fell in our lap at the last minute. there were no other alternatives for HSC. w/o UMP HSC has a 9 game schedule in 2017. As we have beat to death, gets harder going forward. I'm hearing we are forced to travel to New England in 2018, that cannot be fun and will be expensive.

To be fair, HSC did go to Coast Guard Academy a few years ago, so going to NE is not unheard of even before this happened.

tigerFanAlso2

correct, but CC was one and done deal, now we are having to travel because there is nobody else to play. so as I've stated prepare to travel or play less than a full schedule. Maybe we can turn to D1 non-scholarship schools like GC has, glad I don't have to figure it out. Are there any/many NAIA schools in the mid atlantic ?

Scots13

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 19, 2017, 05:44:04 PM
correct, but CC was one and done deal, now we are having to travel because there is nobody else to play. so as I've stated prepare to travel or play less than a full schedule. Maybe we can turn to D1 non-scholarship schools like GC has, glad I don't have to figure it out. Are there any/many NAIA schools in the mid atlantic ?

Many NAIA schools have gone the D2 route in the area, but there are several good programs in Kentucky.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on May 19, 2017, 12:02:39 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 19, 2017, 11:38:40 AM

To be fair, HSC did go to Coast Guard Academy a few years ago, so going to NE is not unheard of even before this happened.

The Coast Guard game was scheduled due to two things.  HSC's then President was an Air Force alum and liked idea of playing a service academy. The other was CG's AD was a HSC alum. It just worked out.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan you are correct; that trip was a pain for all concerned; 11 hour bus trip, kids missed day of school, expensive, horrible competition, etc. As a result HSC never intended to travel that far north again, until now, but only because they can find no other 4th ooc game.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 22, 2017, 01:53:19 PM
TigerFan you are correct; that trip was a pain for all concerned; 11 hour bus trip, kids missed day of school, expensive, horrible competition, etc. As a result HSC never intended to travel that far north again, until now, but only because they can find no other 4th ooc game.

There is no doubt teams will be looking farther out than normal on a regular basis. The ODAC, as a whole, is probably one of the most compact leagues in the country. Especially for the geographically centered teams. Picking up extra overnight trips, while expensive and irritating, is really not that unusual across D3. The ODAC will adjust budgets or find other ways to make up for it until/unless another solution is found.

Distance from Guilford to Shenandoah? 274 miles. I believe that is the farthest in the ODAC. Distance from Huntingdon to NC Wesleyan? 625 miles. Belhaven to Sul Ross State? 899 miles. Sewanee to Trinity? 980 miles. Thomas More to Saint Vincent? 323 miles. Other than the Centennial Conference, ODAC schools have some of the shortest conference road trips in the South. By a pretty good margin. It's just going to be time to pull up the big boy panties, and pony up the dollars, more in line with other conferences until something changes.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 22, 2017, 05:46:01 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 22, 2017, 01:53:19 PM

There is no doubt teams will be looking farther out than normal on a regular basis. The ODAC, as a whole, is probably one of the most compact leagues in the country. Especially for the geographically centered teams. Picking up extra overnight trips, while expensive and irritating, is really not that unusual across D3. The ODAC will adjust budgets or find other ways to make up for it until/unless another solution is found.

Distance from Guilford to Shenandoah? 274 miles. I believe that is the farthest in the ODAC. Distance from Huntingdon to NC Wesleyan? 625 miles. Belhaven to Sul Ross State? 899 miles. Sewanee to Trinity? 980 miles. Thomas More to Saint Vincent? 323 miles. Other than the Centennial Conference, ODAC schools have some of the shortest conference road trips in the South. By a pretty good margin. It's just going to be time to pull up the big boy panties, and pony up the dollars, more in line with other conferences until something changes.
Guilford to Shenandoah is probably the longest football trip, but I just looked up Emory to Virginia Beach for all other sports ... Google routes it via I-81 and I-64 for 407 miles and 6 hours and 6 minutes.  That's tough for a mid-week basketball, volleyball, lacrosse, etc. meeting.  The student athletes can easily be gone for 16 hours or more.