BB: Midwest Region

Started by BaseballFan, February 18, 2007, 10:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OshDude

Quote from: MIAC baseball on February 02, 2008, 11:09:50 AM
Quote from: OshDude on February 02, 2008, 02:20:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a seven-team regional again this year. Here's my stab at it. The only way it's eight teams is if a team gets shipped (like an Edgewood, which I see as very possible. Does the NAC get an auto this year or next?).

1. Whitewater (Pool A)
2. St. Thomas (A)
3. Oshkosh (C)
4. St. Olaf (C)
5. Stevens Point (C)
6. St. Scholastica (B)
7. St. Norbert or Ripon (A)
8. Edgewood (B/C)

I thought they did away with 7 team regionals and they were just 6 or 8. Seven team playoffs are the worst thing ever and gives the number 1 seed a huge advantage.
I like your picks, not really sure who will win the WIAC but I think Oskosh returns a pretty good line-up, Point obviously lost a couple big guys and Whitewater always good but havent made the regional since they won the National Championship in 05

I don't disagree, but the proof just isn't there yet. Could someone chime in with a definitive answer if the NCAA is doing away with seven-teamers this year? The baseball handbook link didn't work for me. I know this year's volleyball tournament had all 6s and 8s, but that's always been the case and it's a different tourney, obviously.

Last year, of the five No. 1 seeds at seven-team regionals, four made it to Grand Chute (Winners: Kean, Cortland, Emory, Chapman; Loser: Wheaton).

But in 2006, 3-of-4 No. 1 seeds failed to win their seven-teamers (Winner: Wheaton; Losers: New Jersey, Wooster, Cortland).

So, in two years the top seeds are 5-4 in winning seven-team regionals. That seems OK to me. In fact, I would have expected the ratio to be higher. I just think that last year's winners of seven-teamers were undisputed leaders in their regions. Nothing wrong with rewarding them with No. 1 seeds, especially when seven-team regionals were necessities last season. That is unless the NCAA started to fly more teams than usual, which isn't going to happen in this D-III lifetime.

Quote from: MIAC baseball on February 02, 2008, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 01, 2008, 06:44:07 PM
Wartburg is in the Central, not the Midwest. They are very close to the Central Regional at Ill. Wesleyan in Bloominton, Il. I find it hard to believe that if they get in they would be shipped out of region.

Oh really, well 2 years ago Coe was the Iowa Conference tourney champs and played in the midwest regional so it happened 2 years ago

That's because the Central Regional was in St. Louis, which is a travel headache in D-III, no matter the sport. There aren't enough teams in that area to make it worthwhile. Not only does the NCAA have to fly more teams when Wash U hosts regionals, but it costs Midwest Region teams, namely from the MIAC and WIAC, entries into regionals.

Look at any sport, in any season, in which Wash U hosts and count the number of really good MIAC and WIAC teams that got snubbed. The bummer is, Wash U sometimes deserves to host and there's nothing else to do, especially when Wash U is one of the flagship (IMO) D-III schools. The NCAA has to throw a bone its way every once in awhile. And when the NCAA does, the Midwest Region teams suffer.

Spence

Quote from: MIAC baseball on February 02, 2008, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 01, 2008, 06:44:07 PM
Wartburg is in the Central, not the Midwest. They are very close to the Central Regional at Ill. Wesleyan in Bloominton, Il. I find it hard to believe that if they get in they would be shipped out of region.

Oh really, well 2 years ago Coe was the Iowa Conference tourney champs and played in the midwest regional so it happened 2 years ago

It could easily happen, depending on who has to come into the Central region or go somewhere else.

BaseballFan

I don't disagree, but the proof just isn't there yet. Could someone chime in with a definitive answer if the NCAA is doing away with seven-teamers this year? The baseball handbook link didn't work for me. I know this year's volleyball tournament had all 6s and 8s, but that's always been the case and it's a different tourney, obviously.

Last year, of the five No. 1 seeds at seven-team regionals, four made it to Grand Chute (Winners: Kean, Cortland, Emory, Chapman; Loser: Wheaton).

But in 2006, 3-of-4 No. 1 seeds failed to win their seven-teamers (Winner: Wheaton; Losers: New Jersey, Wooster, Cortland).

So, in two years the top seeds are 5-4 in winning seven-team regionals. That seems OK to me. In fact, I would have expected the ratio to be higher. I just think that last year's winners of seven-teamers were undisputed leaders in their regions. Nothing wrong with rewarding them with No. 1 seeds, especially when seven-team regionals were necessities last season. That is unless the NCAA started to fly more teams than usual, which isn't going to happen in this D-III lifetime.

[/quote]

Well I think its pretty subjective when deciding who gets a #1 seed. You could have 3 or 4 teams that may have a chance in some regionals ( i.e midwest) and thats why I do not think it is that fair. Plus here is an example of how 7 team tourneys dont work.

Midwest regional two years ago. Scholastica is #4 seed and Stevens Point is #5. Scholastica wins goes on to play Ripon who is #1. Ripon beats Scholastica. Scholastica drops all the way to the bottom of the losers bracket, meaning They have to play the same amount of games in the losers bracket as SP does to get to the championship game. Scholastica ended up losing to St. Thomas so they were out of the regional before Point, the team they beat, even played their 2nd game.

Another reason is #1 seed only has to play 3 games to win the regional, all other seeds play at least 4.

I thought in the initial release of how many pool bids go to A, B,  and C it said 6 and 8 team tourneys. Side note in 06' Ripon was the #1 seed and they lost too

Spence

Quote from: MIAC baseball on February 02, 2008, 07:49:52 PM

Or they were poorly seeded in 06. I know one was.

OshDude

Quote from: MIAC baseball on February 02, 2008, 07:49:52 PM

Well I think its pretty subjective when deciding who gets a #1 seed. You could have 3 or 4 teams that may have a chance in some regionals ( i.e midwest) and thats why I do not think it is that fair. Plus here is an example of how 7 team tourneys dont work.

Midwest regional two years ago. Scholastica is #4 seed and Stevens Point is #5. Scholastica wins goes on to play Ripon who is #1. Ripon beats Scholastica. Scholastica drops all the way to the bottom of the losers bracket, meaning They have to play the same amount of games in the losers bracket as SP does to get to the championship game. Scholastica ended up losing to St. Thomas so they were out of the regional before Point, the team they beat, even played their 2nd game.

Another reason is #1 seed only has to play 3 games to win the regional, all other seeds play at least 4.

I thought in the initial release of how many pool bids go to A, B,  and C it said 6 and 8 team tourneys. Side note in 06' Ripon was the #1 seed and they lost too

Wow. Can't believe I missed that one. So, it's 50-50 whether No. 1 seeds win seven-team regionals.

That was one of those Wash U host years, so I don't think that Midwest Regional is reflective of normal years. The seeding and participants were screwed up because of it. I think Ripon as the No. 1 surprised many. Even with your built-in advantage, it didn't matter. The best team won anyway.

BaseballFan

Any other games in the midwest this week besides Thomas and Scholastica DH tomorrow?

Gustie13

MIACBaseball,
http://www.miac-online.org/schedules.asp?path=baseball&season=2008&view=all

StO, BU, UST, MAC, Aug, HU, GAC all have games coming up in the Dome.

OshDude

Quote from: Gustie13 on February 27, 2008, 12:02:40 PM
MIACBaseball,
http://www.miac-online.org/schedules.asp?path=baseball&season=2008&view=all

StO, BU, UST, MAC, Aug, HU, GAC all have games coming up in the Dome.

Most WIAC teams will be at the Metrodome as well at what can effectively be called a "Border Battle" or "MIAC vs. WIAC Challenge."

Not that the results will necessarily project eventual regional success, but these early games will be huge as far as regional-ranking and seeding purposes are concerned.

I like these games better than the other option – the sometimes nonconsequential southern-trip games. I like that the region's coaches will get the in-region bullets flying right away this year.

The downside is a team's first series of the year could be the reason why it doesn't make the tourney. I think that will be one of the main plot points in the Midwest at the end of the season. Teams sometimes need a couple of series to find a groove/rotation/lineup/chemistry. There's no time for that this year. Seeds or even seasons could depend on sweeping the first doubleheader. Point/St. Thomas, Bethel/Oshkosh – even Whitewater/Edgewood – look particularly ripe for potential May conversations.

I, for one, am thankful the coaches, especially those with young teams, decided to take the riskier scheduling approach.

BaseballFan

Scholastica and Thomas (#12) split doubleheader

Scholastica Takes game 1 over St. Thomas 6-2. Peter Burg (D1 transfer from Valparaiso) picks up the win

Scholastica down 3-4 in the bottom of the 7th, Sean Claugherty hits an opposite field homer to tie it at 4-4 and make it go to extra inings. Matt Pexa two out 2 rbi single gives thomas lead in the 8th to go up 6-4.

Thomas benefitted from 4 unearned runs in the 5th.

Both teams probably happy with a split, but guessing scholastica a little disappointed that they let the 2nd game get away because they probably should of won the second game

BaseballFan

Todays big games:

St. Thomas vs Stevens Point    DH
Both teams would probably be happy with a split

Scholastica vs Alvernia (Ft Pierce FL)    DH

Scholastica took out Elizabethtown last night 8-5. Sean Claugherty hits another opposite field homer (2HRs in 3 games) All American Blake Eller had three hits, three runs, and drove in three more and also stole five bases.

Good win for the saints against an NCAA tourney team.

DirtyHairy

Hey Bballfan.....if you get any updates on today's games with CSS and Alvernia.....can you post them?  Apparently, neither team is on that new scoreboard thing.....

Thanks,
Dirty

BaseballFan

CSS won 12-6 in game one. Peter Burg moves to 2-0 for the saints.

Alvernia is up 1-0 in the top of the 3rd. The game can be listened to on the radio live at

http://www.fan560.com/pages/listenlive_launch.html

Then click on listen live

And I know CSS's conference the UMAC does not have that scoredboard and I believe the MIAC doesnt either

DirtyHairy

Thanks much, bballfan.....I'm at work and cannot listen thru that link....appreciate the updates......

Dirty

cubs

If anyone can update the Stevens Point/St. Thomas DH for today, please post the scores for everyone.....

Thanks in advance!!!!
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BaseballFan

I figured that! But thought maybe some other people might want to listen...

Alvernia is up 2-1 going to top of 4th.
CSS tied it at 1-1 in the top of 3 on a wild pitch. Alvernia scores in the bottom half due to a misplay in center on reading a fly ball. B Eller out today, tweaked a hamstring in game 1 sounds like a precaution due to his history.

Kummet still on the mound with 4 or 5 Ks.