BB: Candidates for All-American Teams

Started by Jim Dixon, April 04, 2008, 10:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mideastfan2

sorry Ralph......I'm still used to the ABCA all-region teams, which eventually qualify those first team players or the All-American teams.

THOSE are the all-regional and all-american teams that I was referring to.  This new d3baseball.com thing is like I said, still new and taking awhile to get used to.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mideastfan2 on April 10, 2008, 06:17:42 PM
sorry Ralph......I'm still used to the ABCA all-region teams, which eventually qualify those first team players or the All-American teams.

THOSE are the all-regional and all-american teams that I was referring to.  This new d3baseball.com thing is like I said, still new and taking awhile to get used to.
:)

Pat Coleman tries to do things right.

The All-American team last year only had 12 players on each team!

The U For Life

Derek David  3rd baseman        439ba,  62 runs, 61 hits, 9 doubles, 19 hr, 56 rbis, 914 slugging %, 509 OB %

Steven Yurchick  2nd basemen  430ba, 42 runs, 55 hits, 11 doubles, 3 triples, 6 hr, 26 rbis, 703 slugging %, 490 OB %, and only 7 strikeouts in 128 at bats.  He's done all of this while batting leadoff all year.  Pretty impressive. 

Brent Voorhees 1b     379ba, 37 runs, 53 hits, 13 doubles, 10 hr, 49 rbis, 686 slugging %, 454 OB %

Cody Curry P  2.68 era, 7-0, 4 CG, 50.1 innings, 57 SOs,

SCHMEGMA

Hello,

Nobody on this posting has mentioned an Salisbury players.
Pitcher Ryan Bennick is 8-0 his era is 2.01, he has 2-9 inning shutouts, has given up only 5 walks( 1 intentional) in 53.2 innings pitched.
(2.01   8-0     9   9   2   2/0    0  53.2  54  12  12   5  46   9   1   2)
Second Baseman Randy Boyle has reached base in all 31 games this season, set the school record for consecutive games with a base hit( 26 ), he has a .987 fielding % in 108 attempts.
.370  31-31   127  47  47  12   1   0  25   61  .480  14   4  11   2  .442   2   1   9-9     47 108   2  .987
Third Baseman Justin Armiger has 9 HR's, 11 DBL's & 50 RBI's already this season with a slugging % of .723.
.366  31-31   112  43  41  11   1   9  50   81  .723  19   8  17   1  .476   4   0   7-8     17  60   4  .951
That is just 3 members of an outstanding team that play in the Mid-Atlantic.

Oh, by the way the TEAM has won 30 consecutive games as they head into action this weekend.

The SCHMEG

rjburke

When will the d3baseball all american teams be announced? Will post season performance be considered?

Jim Dixon

Quote from: rjburke on April 12, 2008, 08:47:06 AM
When will the d3baseball all american teams be announced? Will post season performance be considered?

The list will be announced the Wednesday before the finals.  Conference tournament stats will be considered but it is unlikely that the playoff stats will be included.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 10, 2008, 06:08:13 PM

Pat tries to make the All-Star Teams look like a real team.

...and Jim also.  This is something I absolutely agree with.  A team should not be filled with extra first basemen and no shortstop.  This year we will be adding relief pitcher spot since it is also unfair to compare a starter with relievers. 

The championship round all tournament team is chosen with no regard to position but then again d3baseball.com does not make the rules there.

doctor K

What criteria do you guys use when selecting your teams?  Do position players have to have a certain batting AVG, # of at bats, RBI's, hits, runs ......

What about pitchers?  Certain amount of innings, ERA, So, K's, W-L ........

What about  a reliever? If he is a utility player also, what type of consideration is taken into play?   Do you look at his pitching stats only or do you also look at his performance as his position?

TexasBB

I posted this today on the Best Pitcher thread but thought it should also go here. I am hoping to raise interst in a seperate catagory of All American for releif pitcher or a seperate award for "fireman of the year".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year I tried to make the argument that "relief pitcher" should be added as a separate category for "All American".  They are very valuable to teams and many relief pitchers are just as important as a starter is with regard to a team's success. The issue was too late for last year but might be worth raising again.  Some posters were against the idea but I think Jim has an open mind about it.

therharvest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've got my vote TexasBB

TexasBB

Sorry Jim I see you already have already added the catagory of relief pitcher. I didn't read all of the prior posts.

Thanks

Jim Dixon

Quote from: doctor K on April 13, 2008, 12:55:52 PM
What criteria do you guys use when selecting your teams?  Do position players have to have a certain batting AVG, # of at bats, RBI's, hits, runs ......

What about pitchers?  Certain amount of innings, ERA, So, K's, W-L ........

What about  a reliever? If he is a utility player also, what type of consideration is taken into play?   Do you look at his pitching stats only or do you also look at his performance as his position?

The answer is not easy since we use a ballot process so each individual makes their own decision.

In some cases big numbers help.  since the number of games played are variable, big numbers per game help.  There are really no minimums for any position.  I would expect that a player with great stats with a part time role would be discounted a bit. 

Since we have a DH and relief pitching position, the utility player must have good pitching and hitting stats.  If you bat .200 and went 8-0 in your starts, you would likely be compared with other pitchers, not utility players.

Defense is probably the skill that gets less attention.  Certainly a defensive position (C, 2B, SS, CF) would attract more3 voters with fewer errors.

There is not much more I can add.  I'll keep this as a clearing the bases topic once the all-american team is released.

rjburke

Errors are not the definitive factor when determining a great defensive player. Players with great range, who get to more balls nd more difficult fielding chances, might have a few more errors than someone withless range and someone who takes an occassional risk to make the great play may have a few more errors than someone who makes the conservative, safe pla. But was Roberto Clemente a poor fielder because he had 140 errors?

infielddad

rj, those are very good points.
In my view, at the DIII level, the quality of fields is even more important.
They can vary from being terrific(Southwestern, McMurry, Millsaps, Emory to name some) to  being like a sponge, to filled with gopher holes, to having huge lips,  to being  rock filled with brown grass... and some combinations.(Won't bother to name them)
We have attended games at Stanford's Sunken Diamond and other Pac10 and WCC scholls  for upwards of 10  years.  I can probably count the number of bad hops on less than 10 fingers.  The fields are amazing.
Many DIII fields are not so fine.  The measure of the DIII player, in many situations, isn't the number of errors, but his range and the quality of play on fields which are true and well maintaned.

REDMENFAN

Carthage 1st Baseman Jason Acevado might be the hottest hitter in all of D-3. He will certainly deserve some All American mention come seasons end.

Player                        AVG  GP-GS    AB   R   H  2B  3B  HR RBI   TB  SLG%  BB HBP  SO GDP   OB%

28 Acevado, Jason...  .500  24-24    98  35  49  12   5  10  45  101 1.031  10   2   8   0  .545

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on April 17, 2008, 09:33:27 AM
Carthage 1st Baseman Jason Acevado might be the hottest hitter in all of D-3. He will certainly deserve some All American mention come seasons end.

Player                        AVG  GP-GS    AB   R   H  2B  3B  HR RBI   TB  SLG%  BB HBP  SO GDP   OB%

28 Acevado, Jason...  .500  24-24    98  35  49  12   5  10  45  101 1.031  10   2   8   0  .545

Those actually look closer to National Player of the Year numbers.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.