WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Carroll has a flock of new players :
http://gopios.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball&
Among those not returning from last year's team are Morgan Lund and Caylee Koker, who accounted for 22 pts/g, 40% of the squad's average of 55. Those two accounted for 57% of the team's made FTs.
Somehow, the Pios need to get their scoring up to around 70 in order to be competitive in CCIW play. This will not be easy, especially if they keep their arms folded, as seen in all their roster photos.
(ha!)

iwu70

Wow, now that is a young team = Carroll.

Looking forward to the beginning of the season now in a few weeks.

IWU'70

RogK

Millikin's roster now includes freshmen :
http://athletics.millikin.edu/roster.aspx?path=wbball
In 2011-12, the Big Blue went 7-7 in CCIW play. Since then : 3-11, 5-9, 5-9, 2-12, 4-12.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on October 19, 2017, 02:05:22 PM
Carroll has a flock of new players :
http://gopios.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball&
Among those not returning from last year's team are Morgan Lund and Caylee Koker, who accounted for 22 pts/g, 40% of the squad's average of 55. Those two accounted for 57% of the team's made FTs.
Somehow, the Pios need to get their scoring up to around 70 in order to be competitive in CCIW play. This will not be easy, especially if they keep their arms folded, as seen in all their roster photos.
(ha!)

So we're looking at, what, 50 five second calls a game? :P

They're definitely going to need these younger players to step up a lot to fill those non-returning shoes, like you said. But there's no way they'd go 1-24 again, right?
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

I think they may do better than last year's 1-23, but things could still be very challenging.
Some of their newcomers seem to be good athletes, according to the high school info listed for them.

iwu70

Great to see Shelby Jackson in the Commons today, with a group of current players, prospective recruits and family members, and Coach Smith.  Shelby one of my favorite IWU players of all time in the Wesleyan program.

I think this could be a very special year for the IWU women.

Looking forward to the season.

IWU'70

lmitzel

Coaches' poll is out. Illinois Wesleyan picked to win in a split decision (5 first place votes), with Wheaton getting the other 4.
#THREEEEEEEEE

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: lmitzel on October 25, 2017, 01:27:08 PM
Coaches' poll is out. Illinois Wesleyan picked to win in a split decision (5 first place votes), with Wheaton getting the other 4.

At 61 (5) to 60 (4), it would probably be more realistic to say IWU and Wheaton are co-favorites. ;)

Should be a very good, entertaining race this season.

lmitzel

It's about what I figured. I would have said "Flip a coin" for the top of the conference.

NCC just completed an exhibition against a group of alumni from the last few years and won 85-62. The alums trailed by a bunch early and managed to narrow the gap to 4 late in the third before the '17-'18 team pulled away. I got to yell "THREEEEEEEEE!" a bunch, none of the alums keeled over, and good times were had by all.
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

I'm sure WC will be very good, as usual.  At least Ms. McDaniels is gone!   :) 

I hear the IWU freshmen are really good, may play more of a role than we might have thought.

Lots of experience coming back too, of course.  I'll stick with my earlier assessment, guesstimation of what the starting five might look like initially. 

IWU'70

RogK

Gregory Sager

No Corrie Reilly and no Carly McCameron in that game. Reilly's not on the roster at all, and McCameron, while listed, doesn't have an assigned uniform number.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Exhibition level shooting night for both teams . . . WC taking lots of treys, 5-27. ?

'70

lmitzel

Well, for what it's worth, the Titans are the preseason #25 team in the country according to D3Hoops. Wheaton is in the ORV category. Of course, North Central was in the ORV category going into the 2015-16 season despite losing three of their best players so I take this poll with a grain of salt, but considering IWU is a coin-flip favorite for the CCIW title, there's obviously something there.

Quote from: iwu70 on October 30, 2017, 06:57:42 PM
Exhibition level shooting night for both teams . . . WC taking lots of treys, 5-27. ?

Augie went to something of an up-tempo offense last year, and they took a fair share of three's last year (502, third in the league). Given no McCameron down low maybe that was part of the game plan. I wouldn't know, not having seen the exhibition.
#THREEEEEEEEE