WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

The game has not become the total rout it might have been, but Elmhurst has never threatened - now 62-44 entering the fourth.  Eppard now looking more like herself, leading the Jays in both scoring and rebounds; Ehresman still has only six points, but leads in assists and has 3 steals plus two rebounds.

Mr. Ypsi

The Titan reserves showed their stuff in the fourth, pushing the lead up beyond 30; final score 96-63.

Molly McGraw apparently took exception to any doubters that she deserved first team all-CCIW: she led all scorers with 23.

So, on to the rubber match with Wheaton.  Fortunately, I'm pretty confident that BOTH teams are already in the national tourney.

iwu70

Now we have the rubber match -- WC vs. IWU tomorrow evening for the AQ, for all the marbles.

Titans pull away from EC, winning in normal IWU fashion, with D pressure and tons of scoring -- Final:  IWU 96 EC 63

For EC:
Eppard 16 and 9  8-8 FTs
Logan 13

For IWU:
McGraw 23 and 4, 10-10 FTs
Merritt 15 and 5 6-6 FTs
Schneider 13
Brovelli 12 and 6
Walsberg 8
Anderson 8

Ehresman quiet, but always stirring the drink.

Great win.  Only thing I didn't like to see was Raven Hughes on the bench with an ice pack on one knee. 

Sure wish the Titan men could score points like the Titan women do.  Just say'in.

Should be a great, very fitting CCIW Tournament Championship game tomorrow night -- surely the best two, most deserving teams, facing off for the AQ.

Congrats to the TITANS tonight for playing their game, moving on. Now 23-3, 16-1 total in CCIW play. 

Keep it rolling TITANS.

IWU'70

RogK

Congrats to Wheaton and IWU for important victories. Interesting that Wheaton had the 6'2" trio in together for much of the 4th quarter, to great effect. Coach Madsen may do that in part of Saturday's game, but probably not a majority of it.
Congrats to Carthage and Elmhurst for very good CCIW seasons and in particular to their fine group of seniors. Hopefully Carthage still has a chance at making the national tourney. The 'jays likely don't.
At the end of the 2nd webcast, you could see Mikaela Eppard seek out Rebekah Ehresman at midcourt and they had an amicable chat, which may have been complementarily complimentary regarding basketball, but also could've been on some academic subject, given how excellent they are in the classroom.
http://www.cciw.org/news/2018/2/22/three-cciw-athletes-named-to-cosida-academic-all-district-womens-basketball-team.aspx
Congrats to them and Izzy Anderson for that honor!

iwu70

RogK, I noticed that Mia Smith also had Merritt and Brovelli on the floor together for a stretch.  But, both of IWU's bigs had foul trouble tonight, though both also making important contributions to scoring and rebounding.  Brovelli is really developing fast for a freshman.  I hope the injury to Raven Hughes is not serious.  McGraw picked up her energy and intensity tonight on the offensive end, running the floor very well, the Titan outlet passes finding her.  Titans, if they win tomorrow, will do it with pressure D, winning the TO battle, and with running the floor.  They gotta keep the rebounding match-up at least close.  Should be a great game.  Frazier is a challenge. Titans' half court D has improved greatly in the latter part of the season. 

IWU'70

GoPerry

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 23, 2018, 09:50:28 PM

So, on to the rubber match with Wheaton.  Fortunately, I'm pretty confident that BOTH teams are already in the national tourney.

Yes, I agree with you Ypsi.

Besides each team wanting to win the conference tournament title, I'm thinking that IWU is playing to lock in a 1st/2nd rd hosting opportunity.  A loss puts that in jeopardy.  On the other hand, I don't think a Wheaton win gets the Thunder into that conversation despite similar records.  It might get them a slightly higher seed if they jump Wash U in the final RR if the Bears lose @ Chicago tomorrow.  But it doesn't seem like Wheaton can jump IWU no matter what.

I think both teams should welcome this rematch and I hope it's well played, tightly contested and down to the wire.  But just as important is getting in another game vs a tournament quality team which can only increase chances of success next week.  Let's face it, winning games by 25 and 30 does zippo for your NCAA prep.  Wheaton's now won 16 games in a row.  Their last loss was before New Years to #11 Scranton.  Nice - but who cares?

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on February 23, 2018, 10:12:43 PM
Congrats to Carthage and Elmhurst for very good CCIW seasons and in particular to their fine group of seniors. Hopefully Carthage still has a chance at making the national tourney. The 'jays likely don't.

Neither team is ranked in the Central so last night was it for them. Elmhurst finishes 13-13, and that won't get you into the tournament. Carthage was better, obviously, and was ranked in the first set, but they fell out once RRO's came into play. They had a good year, to be sure, but just not quite enough to talk Big Dance.

IWU is a lock. Wheaton probably is too after making it back to the title game. Whoever loses tonight won't have to wait too nervously to hear their name called on Monday.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

Raven Hughes in street clothes tonight.  :(

Go get'em TITANS.

'70

iwu70

Tough on the Titans losing Shanks and Hughes now.  Hope they both can make it back soon.  Good thing the Titans have good depth, but those are two very big losses.

A tough defensive battle, low scoring affair at The Shirk.

'70

iwu70

iwu70

Titans win, on Ehresman's back, 62-60.  A very close, hard fought game with two excellent, tournament quality teams. 

WC:
Lawson13
Dansdill 10
Frazier 9
Kyler 11 and 10

WC shooting it well, playing tough D, mostly in the half court

IWU: 
Ehresman 14 and 9 and 5
McGraw 11
Anderson 11

Good close game, preparing for the D3 tournament.

Titans without Hughes and Shanks, both injured.

Titans heading for March -- 24-3, 17-1 in CCIW play.  Regular Season and Tournament Champions.  Congratulations to Coach Smith and all the team.  Super.

Hope IWU gets to host round #1, perhaps #2 as well, a good seed.  Good luck to Wheaton the rest of the way.  Make some noise for the CCIW.  You are an excellent team.

Keep it rolling TITANS!

'70

Mr. Ypsi

Titans hold on for a 62-60 win.  Rebekah Ehresman reminded everyone why she was the MOP, leading all scorers with 14, and snaring 9 rebounds, dealing out 5 assists, adding one block and one steal, all while suffering only one turnover.

RogK

Congrats to the Titans, conference champs, regular season and CCIW tourney. (At halftime) I was thinking that Nina Anderson should shoot more in the 2nd half. Nice work by the Thunder, too, although they definitely let the momentum slip away in the last few minutes.

iwumichigander

Whew, nice win Titans!  Wheaton made it more than a nail biter.

shepherd

Congratulations to the Titans on winning the CCIW title. Good luck to the Titans except against wheaton.