SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

See post from hopefan on page 990 of the SLIAC men's board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

On almost any night you can expect there is something to talk about in Division III basketball. From upsets to dominating results, when thousands of games are being played there never is a moment that goes by that shouldn't be discussed.

That's what we hope to do on Hoopsville every show.

Sunday night is no different. There are plenty of upsets to discuss along with figuring out just exactly who are the best teams in the country. Sometimes that discussion means talking to those who won, those who lost, and those who are helping determine conference races.

On Sunday's show, Dave talks to several teams who are in the conversation around the country. From a men's team who ended a 72-game conference winnings streak to another men's squad whose undefeated conference run ended. Also, a women's squad who is already having the best season in four years and another being led by a man who has overcome more than most do and trying to lead by examble by staying focused despite his battled with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Dave will also update a few items voted on this week at the NCAA Convention that will affect basketball starting next season.

You can watch Hoopsville live or watch it on Facebook Live (simulcast):  http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/jan22. If you missed the show live, you can watch the video On Demand in the same manner or listen to or download the podcast (available when the show concludes).

Don't forget to contribute to the new "Hoopsville Mailbag" segment. Email questions you may have to hoopsville@d3hoops.com. Dave will answer them on air tonight or on a future show.

Guests scheduled to appear (in order of appearance):
- Michael Coppolino, Mount St. Mary women's head coach
- Paul Culpo, Castleton men's coach
- Derek James, MacMurray women's coach - WBCA Center Court
- Ryan Kane, Ripon men's coach
- Tom Palombo, Guilford men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Wow I had not been paying attention to women's hoops on SLIAC.org, so it was not until today that I saw (on D3hoops.com) the BIG turnover in the SLIAC  Women's Basketball coaching ranks... 4 coaches leaving us (Blackburn, Iowa Wesleyan, Westminster, Eureka), 3 of those with winning records (All but Blackburn).   2 leaving for greener pastures (Iowa Wesleyan to NAIA William Penn, Westminster to Sewanee (one great school to another)), Eureka coach says being AD is enough time and effort thank you, and BC looks to change their fortunes.  Best of luck to those leaving the SLIAC to new positions, best of luck to the 4 new faces....guys, the talent won't knock your socks off, but in all cases it's good kids playing hard for a conference championship.

And to Tracy Braden moving from Westmin to Sewanee... Sewanee has got to be one of the 10 most beautiful locations of any D3 school in the country... you are SO fortunate to grab this opportunity!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

I came across this announcement out on Facebook.... Best wishes on Prin's restart of Women's hoops

June 23, 2017

Elsah, Illinois

Principia College Director of Athletics Pete Paciorek announces the return of women's basketball with a 14-game junior varsity season in 2017–2018. Coach Dory Smith, who has a track record of rebuilding programs and brings a wealth of coaching knowledge and experience, will lead the team.

Smith has been one of the lead master instructors in coaching development for the state of Missouri, where she has mentored and guided many terrific high school coaches. She has also coached basketball and field hockey herself for many years.

"Athletic competition provides transformative opportunities for our students to learn and grow in ways that are tough to replicate," Paciorek says. "I have been impressed by the women on campus who have initiated the return of the basketball program. They are the champions of this cause to continue in the long history of Principia College women's hoops, and they have a coach who shares their passion for the game. I fully support these committed students and value the robust alumni base whose lives have been positively impacted by participating in the women's basketball program over the years."

The College anticipates that a successful JV program will lead to the return of the varsity program in the future.

y_jack_lok

^^^ This is from June. Have to wonder why it has not also been announced on the SLIAC website yet, unless it has and I missed it.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 06, 2017, 08:14:08 AM
^^^ This is from June. Have to wonder why it has not also been announced on the SLIAC website yet, unless it has and I missed it.

I wrote a lengthy response to this question, decided it was just too negative... I'll just say, "Great question y jack"....

hopefan

Interesting.... very interesting.....  back on Nov. 4, Webster's Women beat Maryville Women in Exhibition Basketball, 57-56.... Maryville is the PRE SEASON FAVORITE in the very solid D2 GLVC, and they didn't just give the game to Webster, as their starters averaged 33 minutes on the court.

Unfortunately no boxscore accompanying the article on the Webster page, as I'm curious as to how final play went in 1 point game... did Maryville have a shot to win, did Webster make a game winner at the end?

Very amusing, on Maryville site, nice writeup/picture prior to game announcing that the game was scheduled etc... absolutely NOTHING about the resulting D3 Gorlock win!!! 

Webster was voted No 3 in preseason SLIAC ranking.... behind Greenville, Eureka.... hmmmmm....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on November 09, 2017, 06:12:11 AM
Interesting.... very interesting.....  back on Nov. 4, Webster's Women beat Maryville Women in Exhibition Basketball, 57-56.... Maryville is the PRE SEASON FAVORITE in the very solid D2 GLVC, and they didn't just give the game to Webster, as their starters averaged 33 minutes on the court.

Unfortunately no boxscore accompanying the article on the Webster page, as I'm curious as to how final play went in 1 point game... did Maryville have a shot to win, did Webster make a game winner at the end?

Very amusing, on Maryville site, nice writeup/picture prior to game announcing that the game was scheduled etc... absolutely NOTHING about the resulting D3 Gorlock win!!! 

Webster was voted No 3 in preseason SLIAC ranking.... behind Greenville, Eureka.... hmmmmm....

It is a preseason and exhibition game... by NCAA rule they are not allowed to write-up the result (best I understand the rule).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Interesting about the rule. The Randolph-Macon men played a preseason exhibition against the University of Maryland on Nov. 2nd. R-MC has a write up (with box score) but Maryland only has photos. Guess the D3 school can do what it wants, though.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 09, 2017, 09:25:07 AM

It is a preseason and exhibition game... by NCAA rule they are not allowed to write-up the result (best I understand the rule).

Rules about publicizing scrimmages have gone away, actually. I don't remember a rule about exhibitions.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 10, 2017, 10:37:31 AM

Rules about publicizing scrimmages have gone away, actually. I don't remember a rule about exhibitions.

I think there is a D1 rule about having stats/boxscores from an exhibition.  I haven't seen a single d1 team with anything other than a very basic (and stat absent) write up about any exhibition so far.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

^^^Do you know if the same rule applies to D2? Maryville, who played Webster --  which is how this question first came up -- is D2.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 11, 2017, 09:18:30 AM
^^^Do you know if the same rule applies to D2? Maryville, who played Webster --  which is how this question first came up -- is D2.

I don't even know if it applies to d1, just making an inference from an observation.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 10, 2017, 10:37:31 AM

Honestly, it is the one rule that has had me the most confused... so many different versions it isn't funny. I do see other exhibitions written up, so I have officially lost track of the rule. LOL

y_jack_lok

FWIW. Fontbonne men played an exhibition against local D2 U of MO Saint Louis on 11/4. There is a write up on the UMSL athletics website.