WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7express

Quote from: AllStar on November 30, 2017, 01:18:30 AM

Your summary is accurate.  This league is really, really down right now.  I don't see very many contenders for anything - and that is only on the regional scale, nevermind the national scale.

Of course I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last year and Dartmouth went all the way to the elite 8.  Don't see it happening this year though.

7express

First round of conference play begins Saturday.....and let's just say it's severely lacking:

Boston @ Keene
Dartmouth @ Plymouth
USM @ Western
Eastern @ RIC

Best game: Eastern @ RIC by default I guess??  The games are usually close, and this Eastern team so far hasn't looked very good in the early going.
Most important game: Boston @ Keene.  This season has the potential of going down the tubes fast for Keene.  The snowball has already formed, and it's sitting on the ledge waiting to get pushed off, which I think is exactly what happens with a loss to the Beacons.  Probably as close to a "must win" game you can have on December 2.
Worst game: USM @ Western.  USM is 0-6 losing by an average of 18.3 point while Western's margin of victory in their 3 wins has been 54.7 points.  Western is also tops throughout all 3 NCAA division's in scoring with a sizzling 118.5 points per game total (only 1 other  team has a PPG total in the 100's [D2 Carson-Newman at 102.3) This is going to get ugly in a hurry for the Huskies.

Boston 56 @ Keene 58.  Think the Owls manage to salvage their season and for the umpteenth time in a row the Beacons disappoint.
Dartmouth 69 @ Plymouth 49.  Dartmouth really shouldn't have much trouble.
USM 89 @ Western 137.  I wonder if Western's Jancy Shearwood (D-3's leading scorer) will have more points than what the margin of victory is.
Eastern 58 @ RIC 55.  Eastern records their first win of the season.

deiscanton

S. Maine defeated W. Conn yesterday, 86-67, for their first win of the season.

W. Conn only took 23 more FGAs than S. Maine yesterday-- in all 3 W.Conn wins with the System, the Colonials achieved the goal of taking 30 or more FGAs than the opponent.  In their wins over Mitchell and Purchase, the Colonials outshot their opponent by more than 50 FGAs.

S. Maine turned the ball over 32 times yesterday to W.Conn's 29.  While the number of turnovers forced meets one of the goals of the System, W.Conn turned the ball over too many times to win. 

W.Conn still has to adjust to using the System in league play.

Game recap:

http://www.wcsuathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2017-18/releases/20171202njxf58

deiscanton

The other final scores from yesterday:

UMass-Dartmouth 87, Plymouth State 69

UMass-Boston 56, Keene State 47

Eastern Connecticut 59, RIC 42

I will let 7express comment on those results and any other comments on S.Maine's stunning upset over the Western Conn system yesterday.

7express

So my player from High school played her first game for the Beacons yesterday after a knee injury.  8 points, 2-2 shooting, 3-4 from the line, 2 blocks in 10 minutes as the Beacons win again to improve to 7-1.

7express

Keene STINKS!!!!!  16 point loss AT HOME to USM  ???

For the second consecutive conference game Western is held below 70 points in an almost 30 point loss to Dartmouth.
Eastern can only beat conference teams it seems as they improve to 2-0 in the conference but only 2-5 overall as they are 0-5 in non LEC games.  of course they've played RIC & Plymouth so take that 2-0 for what it's worth.  Speaking of RIC they like Western, also go to 0-2 in the conference with a loss to Boston.

7express

Tough break for Eastern as Lizzy Cretella who was having a very good sophomore season after playing minimal minutes as a freshmen suffered a knee injury the other day and will be out for the remainder of the season.  Wishing her a speedy recovery!

7express

Dartmouth beats Boston in a matchup of unbeatens last night.  Saw the Beacons last weekend in Danbury against Western. Built an 11 point first quarter lead as they looked like horses beating the Western press for layups before they became a turnover machine ion the 2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters.  Forgot the final numbers, but I believe they finished with 42 total turnovers  ??? which is just atrocious.  Anyways, after leading by 11 in the first, they had an 8 point halftime lead and trailed by 4 after the 3rd quarter, and was ready to write a piece on how they a product of an absolutely atrocious and grade-school level schedule as the conference is again another total anchor.  And even with Boston's gaudy record (14-2 will probably get to 20+ wins), do you really trust this team to get a pool C bid should they lose again to Dartmouth in the LEC tournament or lose to eastern/Western in the LEC tournament??  They've only played 2 good teams: MIT (10-5 a win), and than the 30 point loss @ Dartmouth last night.  They'll get another game with Dartmouth in a couple weeks at home, and maybe another one in the tournament but I doubt they make up 30 points just because the game is at home or on a neutral court, so let's add 2 more losses to the Beacons.  So that will mean they've only played 2 good teams and gone 1-3 in those 4 games.  As for their other OOC schedule, I think a high school freshmen team would be jealous with this schedule:
Coast Guard (7-7), Colby (7-7 a loss :o), Rivier (0-10), Fisher (10-7 but an NAIA team), Becker (8-6), Fitchburg (5-9), Framingham (9-7), Clark (8-9), MIT (10-5), Bridgewater (4-11), and than they have a game with D3 newcomer Dean College (7-5) later in the year.  That's their OOC schedule and I believe if I counted right the opponents winning percentage is 8 games under .500.  That's a complete joke!  And then we look at the crappy conference results only Dartmouth (12-3) is a good team while Western (9-7) is the only other team above .500 and USM (8-8) and RIC (7-7) are both right at .500, and the only team they have yet to play is Southern Maine.  Boston likely has to win out beating Dartmouth in the process, win the conference, and get to the LEC championship game before they even sniff a pool C selection.  You're in freaking Boston, how the hell can your schedule be so bad year after year after year??

deiscanton

Quote from: 7express on January 18, 2018, 02:08:39 PM
Dartmouth beats Boston in a matchup of unbeatens last night.  Saw the Beacons last weekend in Danbury against Western. Built an 11 point first quarter lead as they looked like horses beating the Western press for layups before they became a turnover machine ion the 2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters.  Forgot the final numbers, but I believe they finished with 42 total turnovers  ??? which is just atrocious.  Anyways, after leading by 11 in the first, they had an 8 point halftime lead and trailed by 4 after the 3rd quarter, and was ready to write a piece on how they a product of an absolutely atrocious and grade-school level schedule as the conference is again another total anchor.  And even with Boston's gaudy record (14-2 will probably get to 20+ wins), do you really trust this team to get a pool C bid should they lose again to Dartmouth in the LEC tournament or lose to eastern/Western in the LEC tournament??  They've only played 2 good teams: MIT (10-5 a win), and than the 30 point loss @ Dartmouth last night.  They'll get another game with Dartmouth in a couple weeks at home, and maybe another one in the tournament but I doubt they make up 30 points just because the game is at home or on a neutral court, so let's add 2 more losses to the Beacons.  So that will mean they've only played 2 good teams and gone 1-3 in those 4 games.  As for their other OOC schedule, I think a high school freshmen team would be jealous with this schedule:
Coast Guard (7-7), Colby (7-7 a loss :o), Rivier (0-10), Fisher (10-7 but an NAIA team), Becker (8-6), Fitchburg (5-9), Framingham (9-7), Clark (8-9), MIT (10-5), Bridgewater (4-11), and than they have a game with D3 newcomer Dean College (7-5) later in the year.  That's their OOC schedule and I believe if I counted right the opponents winning percentage is 8 games under .500.  That's a complete joke!  And then we look at the crappy conference results only Dartmouth (12-3) is a good team while Western (9-7) is the only other team above .500 and USM (8-8) and RIC (7-7) are both right at .500, and the only team they have yet to play is Southern Maine.  Boston likely has to beat Dartmouth, win the conference, and get to the LEC championship game before they even sniff a pool C selection.  You're in freaking Boston, how the hell can your schedule be so bad year after year after year??

I was wondering why Brandeis no longer had UMass-Boston on the non-conference schedule.   Oh well, 12-12 still makes Brandeis eligible for the ECAC Tournament, but I would like the Judges to go over .500 this year at a minimum....

amh63

7& dies a ton....appreciate you two are keeping this board alive! ;D
Keep up the fine work.  Me, I tend to post Amherst WBB news on the MBB board these days.

7express

This conference has been the have's vs. the have nots this year.  We are not even in February yet and already 3 teams (RIC, Plymouth & Keene) are already eliminated from winning the conference.  Western could tie for the conference title but they already got swept in the season series by both Dartmouth & Southern Maine, and lost the first game at home to Boston, so they likely lose any tiebreakers should they somehow miraculously finished tied with one of those schools so we can probably say 4 teams are already eliminated from winning the conference.  The top of the conference is pretty competitive with Dartmouth leading the pack, Boston 1 back (lone loss to Dartmouth), USM 2 back (losses to Boston & Dartmouth) and Eastern 3 back (as you can guess they lost to Dartmouth, Boston & USM).  None of those 4 have finished the season series with each other and all 4 have a second game against the other 3 coming up within the final 5 games, so even though Eastern is 3 back and lost the first game to all 3 teams they are still in the mix as 2 of those 3 were on the road, so they get the second matchup at home.  For the final home playoff game Eastern has a commanding 3 game lead with 5 to play (4 with the tiebreaker since Eastern won the first game between the 2) on Western, and owns a 5 game lead with 5 to play on Plymouth, Keene & RIC.  Eastern already swept the season series with RIC & Plymouth, so those 2 are already eliminated from hosting any games in the LEC tournament.  And I have I mentioned it's only January 27??

7express

Seeing Boston for the 2nd time today and seeing Dartmouth win in Maine by about 25 it's clearly obvious those are the best 2 teams in the conference and really it's not even close.  I'd be SHOCKED if the championship game wasn't Dartmouth @ Boston.  I still stand by what I said a couple weeks ago Boston has to win sweep the regular season, which includes a win over Dartmouth at home (they lost on the road by 30) and avoid a slip up to Eastern/Western/USM in the semifinals before they even sniff a pool C bid.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 07, 2018, 02:37:12 PM
Women's first regional rankings of the season are out: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-first

Just like I said despite being 19-2 Boston isn't even in the top 12 in New England.  As I said 3 weeks ago they'll have to beat Boston tonight, win their final 3 games (against Plymouth, USM & Western) and than win their quarterfinal & semifinal game in the LEC tournament and even then it's probably not enough to get the Beacons in.

SidelineHero

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 07, 2018, 02:37:12 PM
Women's first regional rankings of the season are out: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-first

What are your thoughts on Roger Williams being ranked 5th ahead of Mass Dartmouth?