Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

Toshack rarely switches things up so I won't hold my breath.  I'm not a an of this 3 in the back formation.  Really seeing how good of a recruiter Durocher was.  He was always able to get at least 1 or 2 great defenders every year.  I still think Tosh is capable of righting the ship, but the team needs 4 at the back in my opinion.   Again, I think that playing 6 straight road games to start the season takes a toll, but this is just baffling. 

Ommadawn

I agree with your assessment of the brutal scheduling, stlawus.  Tonight's result, in particular, can be chalked up to scheduling.  It's tough enough to play a team of Cortland's caliber on the road, but to do so on the second game of a back-to-back when the home team is fresh is an especially tall order.

Mr.Right

That's what I am saying. I mean right the ship for a few games change it up then if you must play 3 at the back you can switch back. Personally, I would sit with a solid 6 THEN allow the other 4 any freedoms they want in attack mode. They could interchange and have no responsibilities defensively. Basically. a 4-2-3-1 but since SLU's DNA is to attack you give the wingbacks in my 6 to go and overlap but they must be my smartest and fastest players so they can decipher when to go and when to stay. You would confuse defenses and give yourself advantages especially on the counter. Also, I would give the 4 that are my attackers no defensive responsibilities BUT force them to press like mad to create plenty of giveaway's. Cortland was successful tonight doing just that because they knew SLU would not change and keep forcing diagonal balls out of the back and were a step slow moving it around. When it works SLU looks like magic but when it doesn't common opponents press them like mad and have counter after counter and you are leaving your GK out to dry. IDK I only caught the 2nd Half.

Mr.Right

Quote from: stlawus on September 16, 2017, 08:59:16 PM
Really seeing how good of a recruiter Durocher was. 

+k....this is the best point of the night. Durocher had an eye on who would fit his system better than anyone. He would go out and find the right players for what he was trying to do. Sometimes when you are a new Head Coach you make mistakes on players more than you would like.  However, it takes time and it sounds like he did a ton of the recruiting for years under Durocher. So idk.

deutschfan

Notes on a scorecard week three. Still no statement wins for ten teams. By LL standings order: 1) Skidmore--it is the league v. Okoye; 2) Vassar--Oneonta result the best in the league to date; 3) Hobart--great defense in two wins and will score goals by committee; 4) RPI--another team that will score by committee making keeper errors like against Wwilliams that much more painful; 5) SLU--still a mess longing for the ghost of Sam Mello or some other great central midfielder from years past; 6) Clarkson--Chris has to be worried about the back and with good reason; 7) RIT--humbling loss to UR reinforces their status as a bottom third team; 8) Bard--trouble scoring means real trouble for a team whose offense kept them in League games the last couple years; 9) Ithaca---outplays excellent Hamilton team everywhere but in final score which bodes well for their playoff chances; and 10) Union--Okoye shows that the emperor has no clothes.

Saint of Old

Totally agree with all points made.
Hobart seems to be rounding the corner and Vassar did the LL proud by holding Oneonta at home.
I think this year will be the most unpredictable in the last 10 years of the LL.
This is even moreso with the addition of two playoff teams.

Here is how I see it wrapping up:

6. Union gets in this year. First they hardly ever finish below this position and the program really needs a post season run.
5. RPI will get in. Since when do they not and Coach Clinton has them playing hard as usual.
4. Skidmore.Just a feeling about them dropping a couple games they should not.
3. SLU. Will have to win atleast a game on the road to get a
2. Hobart. Unfortunately for everyone else , I think Hobart have already experienced their early season slump and will be a favorite to add a tournament crown to last yeas league title.
1. Defending Champs will be tough to beat, but I still don't see them repeating unless they have home field throughout.

deutschfan

Great picks Saint.  My only dissent is that I believe Ithaca is going to get in and break one of those other teams' hearts.  It is 2011 all over again, not because the Saints will be ranked Number 1 at the end of the regular season, or because Vassar as the lowest seed will knock off Number 1, rather because the newcomer, Ithaca, will pull a RIT and make a run in the playoffs.  I totally agree that by playoff time Hobart will be the team to beat.  I also agree that Skidmore is going to take some knocks.  Okoye may have as productive a season as Sebastian Janssen did for Union in 2012, yet, as that season proved for Union, one goal scorer is not enough.     

stlawus

It is actually painful to watch this SLU team.  Just gave 2 goals in less than 15 seconds against Plattsburgh.  I don't know what else has to happen.

stlawus

stlawus

This SLU team has now conceded 17 goals in 7 games.  They conceded 24 in 15 games in 2009 which (until it appears now) was the worst season (in my opinion) since the mid 90s.  The '05 team had a leaky defense but still got to the sweet 16.  They've had plenty of opportunities to convince me they could right the ship but this is going to be a bad season.

deutschfan

Allows three goals in 5 minutes, defender has the most shots and Augustine doesn't play.  This is a team in total disarray. 

deutschfan

Also big game for Vassar tonight starting in a few minutes at Wesleyan.  Gives them a chance for a quality result on the road against a NESCAC school.  Additionally, given the academic similarities between the two schools, it is very likely that they are competing for the same recruits. 

Ommadawn

Vassar, playing without Mrlik it appears, goes down 1-0 in the first half after carrying play early.

Saint of Old

And with that loss the SUNYAC rejoices, it seems, besides "possibly" Skidmore there will be no at large bids handed out to the LL this year.

deutschfan

Interesting day yesterday:  Coach Tosh plays the injury card; Vassar plays like a LL tournament bubble team without leading scorer; Hero sports moves LL up from 11th strongest conference to 5th, ahead of SUNYAC even though LL doesn't have a signature win and SUNYAC has prevailed in most of the matchups between the top echelon teams; and RPI has mid-level regional ranking, a further testament to Coach Clinton's considerable influence and making RPI a contender for an at large bid.  This weekend already poses do or die games starting with SLU v. Union.