CCIW 2015

Started by Purplegatorade, September 01, 2015, 11:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purplegatorade

With the season kicking off today.  Let's take a look a the CCIW.

1. Wheaton                                  47 (5)
2. Illinois Wesleyan University      45 (3)
3. Augustana                                33
4. Carthage                                   32
5. Elmhurst                                    27
6. North Central                            18
7. North Park                                 14
8. Millikin                                        8

Wheaton looks to reload as they need to replace 6 starters. Illinois Wesleyan University returns a large portion of their Final Four team.  Will they be able to carry the 2014 magic into 2015?  Augustana and Carthage have put together tough non-conference schedules.  Will that translate into conference succcess

Very interesting opening day schedule. #18 Wheaton opens up with regional rival Calvin College.  #4 Illinois Wesleyan plays #20 Whitewater.  North Central will lock horns with #13 Aurora.  Augustana opens at UW-La Crosse.  Carthage goes to Dubuque, Ia to open up with 2014 Iowa Conference Champion Dubuque.

Purplegatorade

Interesting weekend for CCIW teams.

Wheaton beats William Smith in OT after being outshot 27-9.  Then turn around and lose 2-1 to Puget Sound.

Illinois Wesleyan goes 2-0 with two wins over MIAA schools.  1-0 against Calvin and 3-1 against Kalamazoo.

Augustana beat Chicago 2-0 and loses 3-2 in 2OT against Loras.

jaybird44

Wash-U (#12 NSCAA, #15 d3soccer.com) hands Illinois Wesleyan (#4, #3) its first loss of the season, with a 1-0 result.  Both teams played great defense, but the Bears' Katie Chandler's tremendous individual effort beat two Titan defenders inside the box for the game-winning goal in the 84th minute.

Wash-U improves to 5-1, and Illinois Wesleyan drops to 7-1.

Purplegatorade

CCIW opened play over the weekend.  Conference favorite Wheaton opened up with a 3-1 win over Elmhurst.  Illinois Wesleyan beat Augie 3-1.  Millikin won against North Park and North Central beat Carthage.  Looks like it will be a normal day in the office this year in the CCIW.

On a different note, has anyone had a chance to see Wheaton play this year?  I have been hearing grumblings that they are not their usual selves. 

Mr. Ypsi

IWU has a freshman keeper (Katie Denney) - she has yielded THREE goals all season!!  (The school record for a keeper is 0.47 gpg - she is currently at roughly half that.  I think she is a keeper [pun intended].)

Five days to the showdown at Wheaton.  (The team better concentrate on NPU first, but I'm just a fan - I can look ahead all I want! ;))

Purplegatorade

It appears that both Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan both struggled last night in game they should have won handily.  Wheaton beat Carthage 3-2 and Illinois Wesleyan beat North Park 2-0.  Both is Illinois Wesleyan's goals came very late in the game.  Could both teams been looking towards the weekend showdown?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Purplegatorade on October 15, 2015, 12:33:11 PM
It appears that both Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan both struggled last night in game they should have won handily.  Wheaton beat Carthage 3-2 and Illinois Wesleyan beat North Park 2-0.  Both is Illinois Wesleyan's goals came very late in the game.  Could both teams been looking towards the weekend showdown?

No matter how much the coaches warn against it, can you really imagine that the players wouldn't be doing that?! ;)

Man, Saturday is gonna be busy!  I'm a voter in both the national and North Region fan polls in d3 football, hope to squeeze in the IWU/Wheaton soccer game, and it is Michigan/Michigan State football - my computer better be able to handle about 8 screens simultaneously! :o  (Though, much as I love d3 sports, if the UM/MSU game is as good as I suspect it will be, I may abandon the computer almost entirely while that game is on my big screen TV!)

Mr. Ypsi

What an aggravating day!!  I'm just starting to watch IWU @ Wheaton (and IWU @ Augie in football) and the power goes out!!  Knowing I'm not gonna find IWU vs. anybody in a sports bar in SE Michigan ;), I went out to watch MSU @ UM.  UM led throughout the game, then lost with no time remaining as the punter (who earlier had an EIGHTY-yard punt :o) fumbled a snap and MSU ran it back with no time remaining for the winning TD.  Arguably the most astonishing (and heart-breaking) finish I've ever watched.  I then went home to a still dark (and rapidly getting chillier) house.

The redemption was that when the power came back on about 9:15, I learned that the football team was still undefeated (6-0, 3-0), and the soccer team had all-but-won the conference title (perhaps I'm wrong, but I think IWU and Wheaton were this year BY FAR the two best teams).  And Katie Denney had yet another shutout (a freshman, she has yielded THREE goals in FIFTEEN games! :o)

Purplegatorade

I was able to see the Wheaton and IWU game yesterday.  Unlucky you had a power outage.  It was a good game.  I don't think the 1-0 score line tells the story.  IWU had some very good looks, but their finishing let them down.  The IWU back four did a number on the Wheaton attack.  Minus a spell in the first half Wheaton didn't do much.  Heck, they held them to 1 shot in second half.   It will be interesting to see how both teams finish conference play.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Purplegatorade on October 18, 2015, 11:38:36 PM
I was able to see the Wheaton and IWU game yesterday.  Unlucky you had a power outage.  It was a good game.  I don't think the 1-0 score line tells the story.  IWU had some very good looks, but their finishing let them down. The IWU back four did a number on the Wheaton attack.  Minus a spell in the first half Wheaton didn't do much.  Heck, they held them to 1 shot in second half.   It will be interesting to see how both teams finish conference play.

Yeah, I'm being unfair to the overall defense to keep raving ONLY about Katie Denney.  I coached youth soccer for a number of years, and always stressed that even the world's greatest keepers can't stop much over half the GOOD shots on goal, so the defense's job is to minimize the good shots! ;)  While we obviously have an outstanding keeper, the entire defense deserves kudos as well.

Purplegatorade

It looks like Illinois Wesleyan's Dave Barrett goes for win 200 tonight against Millikin.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Purplegatorade on October 21, 2015, 11:49:32 AM
It looks like Illinois Wesleyan's Dave Barrett goes for win 200 tonight against Millikin.

And got it - congratulations Dave!

But boo, hiss! to the defense - they let in a goal. >:(  Geez, that is FOUR goals in only 16 games! :o

(Since stats records are generally personalized to the keeper, I think Katie Denney has probably safely set a new school record.  Current record is .47 GPG, Katie is currently at about .26.  Although it would still be a very imperfect measure, I'd like to find goals per shots-on-goal for the opposition for a very ROUGH guide to Katie vs. the previous record holder as a keeper as opposed to Katie's defense vs. the previous record holders defense.  Of course, since the keeper is charged with placing the defense [at least for most teams], that would still not necessarily tell much.  I'm starting to suspect that keeper is one of the least quantifiable positions in all of sports!)

Purplegatorade

Looks like Illinois Wesleyan locked up the CCIW regular season title last night with Wheaton's loss at Augustana.  Congrats to Coach Barrett and his crew.  Only giving up 4 goals all season.  This team could be interesting to watch come tournament time.

What is going on at Wheaton?

GoPerry

Congratulations to the Wheaton Ladies for taking another CCIW Tourney title beating a terrific IWU team.  Ally Witt got an early goal and the Thunder simply rope-a-doped it the rest of the way for a 1-0 win.  With 6 losses, they needed this win to receive the AQ and their 19th consecutive berth.  The win over Augie  would've jumped them over the Vikes in the RR and with their #1 SOS in the region, they would've had a decent chance to get in.  But they took care of biz today.

Tough to say how far they'll go.   It's been no secret that Wheaton has been offensively challenged this year- only 44 goals the entire season of 21 games thus far.  While their losses have all been to top 25 teams, they don't seem to have quite the horsepower of prior teams. Their ball control has not been as dominant this season.  However, avenging earlier losses to Augie and IWU is a great start.  Even with the AQ, it doesn't look likely that they will host the first/second round which has been their annual rite. 

A difficult loss to swallow for the Titans but they didn't need this win to get into the tourney.  It might not have cost them a chance to host rounds 1 and 2 but it might factor in hosting 3/4.  In any case, a second straight FF run is well within their sights.

Purplegatorade

The CCIW gets three teams in this year.  Tournament champions Wheaton, regular season champions Illinois Wesleyan and Augustana.  Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan have a chance to meet in the Sweet 16 and Augustana has a chance to meet one of them in the Elite 8.

In other CCIW news the All-Conference team was announced yesterday.  Mary Kate Schmidt and Ally Witt earned Co-Player of the Year Award.  Katie Denney the goalkeeper from Illinois Wesleyan won Newcomer of the Year.  Making it two years in a row for Illinois Wesleyan in the Newcomer of the year category.  Illinois Wesleyan's Dave Barrett won coach of the year.

All Conference Players by school:
Illinois Wesleyan: 6 (5 First team and 1 second team)
Augustana: 4 (2 First team and 2 second team)
Wheaton: 7 (3 First team and 4 second team)
Carthage: 3 (2 First team and 1 second team)
Elmhurst: 2 (2 Second team)
North Central: 2 (1 First team and 1 second team)
Millikin: 0
North Park: 0