2017 Conversation Starter (News, Coaching Carousel, Rumor Mill, etc)

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, January 26, 2017, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purplegatorade

From talking with some assistants who were "in the running" for some of the positions it seems to be that the intent for the vast majority of programs was/is to hire a woman.  Regardless of credentials of some of the male candidates in the in the pool a woman will get the hire.  Not saying it is right or wrong (not my place), I just feel bad for some very deserving assistants.  Especially when some of the hires have little to no DIII experience or haven't "proven themselves." Time will tell i guess.

Quote from: Abitofeverything on April 27, 2017, 03:20:18 PM
UNE hires Carly Gettler....assistant at Randolph-Macon and former HC at Husson, where she was average. A male coach had very little chance at getting this job, let's face it.

http://athletics.une.edu/news/2017/4/25/wsoc_gettler_named_head_coach.aspx

Abitofeverything

4 D3 jobs still open....

Olivet
Alfred
Stevenson
Widener

PS: Western Conn St still not filled as I was told no hiring would be done until new fiscal budget was set

What's the over-under on women getting those jobs?

I am not against "qualified" women getting jobs over guys...I'm mostly against "under qualified" women getting jobs over men that have far more experience. UNE & Guilford are perfect examples....took GC 3 months to eventually end up hiring a coach that was less than 100 miles away! Anyone have updates on the above mentioned schools?

Abitofeverything

It's hallway through May....still open (at least as far as we know):

Anyone know the status of these searches?

Wentworth
Alfred
Olivet
Western Conn St
Stevenson
Widener
Rosemont
Baldwin Wallace
Wesleyan

Abitofeverything

Widener hires....then blatantly lies in the press release....come on people, do your homework!!!

Press release claims that Wakeman record at Urisnus was:

21-13-3     Overall.....this would mean that they only played 7.4 games a season
13-5-2       Conference

When actually it was:

38-40-9     Overall
19-24-7     Conference

http://widenerpride.com/news/2017/5/17/kelly-wakeman-named-head-womens-soccer-coach.aspx

AD quote...."Throughout this search, our goal was to identify the absolute best candidate to positively impact the women's soccer program as well as our entire department. We accomplished that goal with the hiring of Kelly. Her success as a head coach and experience in recruiting will continue to develop our women's soccer program, and we are looking forward to having her get started."

NO WAY she was the best candidate available!!!!

Credit your SID for getting the semi-finals in correct at least.

DivisionIIISoccerSource

Well this came as a surprise. I know several coaches that were into the position. Something funny here. Definitely not the best candidate.
They have healthy 20k budget. Tough to recruit to Chester though. Strong ties needed in area to be successful.
Poor decision Abit, which we don't agree on much, this yes. But it does say during the span of X years. They don't have the real bad years prior.

The AD is a NCAA national championship coach too. He can do better.

Abitofeverything

cciw83

Don't know the reason, but the Franklin coach has gone to be an assistant coach at Marian University, a NAIA school in Indianapolis.

Abitofeverything

Practically June....no word out of:

Alfred
Wentworth
Stevenson
Olivet
Baldwin Wallace
Rosemont
*Hartwick (new)

chkeki

Olivet filled internally
Franklin - Part time job to full time assistant

Abitofeverything

Quote from: chkeki on June 01, 2017, 03:04:20 PM
Olivet filled internally
Franklin - Part time job to full time assistant

Olivet gave the job to a 2016 graduate! That can't be right!!!

Franklin job only posted recently....advertised as full time, not part time.

chkeki

Yes - Olivet is correct.
Franklin - the job was formerly part time - the last HC went to a full time assistant job.  Don't know who the replacement will be