2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastguyoffthebench

Keep an eye on Pfeiffer... should be NCAA tourney eligible in two years.  2015 D2 Champs open vs Lynchburg and Noke during this early transition period...

Not sure if going D3 helps their cause and could see them being like NC Wesleyan in the future, with the foreign pool of players

Mr.Right

D2 Pfeiffer won the NCAA D2 Title under former Rutgers coach Bob Reasso. That team was filled with mid 20's Spanish players and while very entertaining to watch I doubt they will be getting those type of players thru admissions in D3.

Ejay

Quote from: Mr.Right on August 23, 2017, 01:05:13 PM
D2 Pfeiffer won the NCAA D2 Title under former Rutgers coach Bob Reasso. That team was filled with mid 20's Spanish players and while very entertaining to watch I doubt they will be getting those type of players thru admissions in D3.

Side note: Never saw Pfeiffer play, but Rutger's style under Reasso was simply awful.  Players staying in their running lanes up and down the field and lots of long ball.

Clotpoll

Amen. Reasso just a disastrously bad manager.

paclassic89

There's no way Pfeiffer will be able to get in players remotely close to the quality of their current squad once they have to adhere to d3 eligibility rules.  They'll be a non-factor once they're ncaa eligible in a few years I think.  It should be interesting to see what sort of results they get in the meantime while they churn through their current enrollment though.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on August 21, 2017, 10:18:32 PM
Quote from: Shooter McGavin on August 21, 2017, 04:35:48 PM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
Plus my Top 5 overall preseason picks.  Let's get the conversation started.

My preseason TOP 5 (in no particular order).  Ask me again tomorrow and this list could change – but here's my thinking as of right now.
CALVIN
MESSIAH
FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
ROWAN
KENYON

TUFTS – did not make my conference list because they have never won the NESCAC in the modern history of the conference's championship play.  However, they are the reigning national champs, so they must also be mentioned here as a top preseason pick.

I'd guess something like this...

1. Tufts (hard not to have them slotted here)
2. Messiah (have to be the favorites for this season)
3. Calvin (A quality side that keeps getting better)
4. Rowan (Loaded once again)
5. Amherst (Lost some key pieces but hard to pick against them)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
St. Thomas, Trinity, Chicago, Kenyon, Brandeis

I did not have Amherst in the my Top 5 mix because they graduated 3 of their 4 top scorers from last year and graduated about 50% of their goals overall.  They also lost a few key defenders.  I just think they will need this year to rebuild a bit, hence I still have them winning the NESCAC (mostly because Tufts just never wins it for some reason), but not in my top 5 overall.

Completely understandable and I don't blame you. For me it's just hard to pick against a team that has only lost 4 times in the last 6 years.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Opening Weekend Notable Match-ups

9/1
Chicago vs Whitworth
Kenyon vs CMU
Calvin vs OWU
Grove City vs ONU
Roanoke vs UMass Boston
Leb Val vs Muhles
Lynchburg vs Pfeiffer
Etown vs Morrisville St
Gordon vs Montclair St
St. Mary's (Md) vs Gettsyburg
Babson vs SLU
RUC vs Lycoming
Stevens vs Kean
Endicott vs MIT
Wheaton (Ill) vs St. Olaf

9/2
MW vs Messiah
CNU vs W&L
Rowan vs Lycoming
Cortland vs Brandeis
Salisbury vs Gettysburg
Dickinson vs Morrisville St
Rochester vs Misericordia

Dubuquer

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on August 28, 2017, 08:44:02 AM

9/1
Chicago vs Whitworth
Kenyon vs CMU
Calvin vs OWU
Grove City vs ONU
Roanoke vs UMass Boston
Leb Val vs Muhles
Lynchburg vs Pfeiffer
Etown vs Morrisville St
Gordon vs Montclair St
Babson vs SLU
RUC vs Lycoming
Stevens vs Kean
Endicott vs MIT

9/2
MW vs Messiah
CNU vs W&L
Rowan vs Lycoming
Cortland vs Brandeis
Salisbury vs Gettysburg

Also on 9/2:
Loras vs Wheaton (Ill)

Mid-Atlantic Fan

KICKIN95

Loras has absolutely dominated Wheaton in this "Derby" with the DuHawks compiling an extremely impressive 7-1-1 record against the Thunder. 6-0 in the "Rock Bowl" and 1-1-1 away. 
Master of all things "DuHawk"

rudy

Quote from: Dubuquer on August 28, 2017, 11:30:59 AM

9/1
Chicago vs Whitworth
Kenyon vs CMU
Calvin vs OWU
Grove City vs ONU
Roanoke vs UMass Boston
Leb Val vs Muhles
Lynchburg vs Pfeiffer
Etown vs Morrisville St
Gordon vs Montclair St
Babson vs SLU
RUC vs Lycoming
Stevens vs Kean
Endicott vs MIT

9/2
MW vs Messiah
CNU vs W&L
Rowan vs Lycoming
Cortland vs Brandeis
Salisbury vs Gettysburg

Also on 9/2:
Loras vs Wheaton (Ill)

9/1 Messiah plays Chapman. They made it to 2nd round of NCAA last season. Not a pushover for Messiah.

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: rudy on August 31, 2017, 12:24:19 PM
Quote from: Dubuquer on August 28, 2017, 11:30:59 AM

9/1
Chicago vs Whitworth
Kenyon vs CMU
Calvin vs OWU
Grove City vs ONU
Roanoke vs UMass Boston
Leb Val vs Muhles
Lynchburg vs Pfeiffer
Etown vs Morrisville St
Gordon vs Montclair St
Babson vs SLU
RUC vs Lycoming
Stevens vs Kean
Endicott vs MIT

9/2
MW vs Messiah
CNU vs W&L
Rowan vs Lycoming
Cortland vs Brandeis
Salisbury vs Gettysburg

Also on 9/2:
Loras vs Wheaton (Ill)

9/1 Messiah plays Chapman. They made it to 2nd round of NCAA last season. Not a pushover for Messiah.

It looks like Chapman has never won the SCIAC conference. They have made the national tournament 3 times since 2000, bowing out twice in the first round and once in the second round.  They were shut out 6 times last year and they are not ranked in the top 25 in the national preseason poll (although it looks like they may have picked up a few votes).  While Chapman certainly looks to be a well above average team, at least on paper I would think Messiah would be expected to play to a win in this one. Someone with more knowledge of the Caiifornia soccer scence will be able to add more insight that I can't see from researching online.

4samuy

Final from Chicago:

University of Chicago   2
Whitworth.                  1

Uninspiring opener for the Maroons against what seemed to be a talented and game Whitworth side.  Whitworth controlled possession for what seemed like the first 70 minutes or so but still trailed 1-0 at half on a goal by chicagos sophomore tommy tenuta set by cross from Matthew Koh. Whitworth scored midway thru 2nd on header off a set piece to grab momentum, but chicagos depth and liberal substitutions seemed to wear Whitworth down a bit and that gave max Lopez the opening he needed to score in the 86 minute.  Due to some nagging early season injuries, looked as if Chicago was without a few back line starters from last year.

Something about those teams out west that seem to give Chicago fits. Last game last year in round of sixteen Redlands gave them fits and ended up advancing 3-2.  I was at the game today and was pretty impressed Whitworth. Good cohesive groups that plays a nice brand of possession soccer.  I do know that they have won their conference the last three years thus getting in the tournament. Lost first round last year to Trinity.

Although Chicago seemed uninspired,  they are loaded with offensive weapons and three all Americans down the middle of the pitch in Lopez, copotosto, and keeper Hill Bonin.

jknezek

W&L beats Greensboro 2-1 at CNU despite playing the entire second half a man down due to an end of first half red card. I didn't see it, so no comment, but a long time to play a man down and they did well. Might be some tired legs tomorrow against CNU.

blue_jays

Quote from: 4samuy on September 01, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
Final from Chicago:

University of Chicago   2
Whitworth.                  1

Uninspiring opener for the Maroons against what seemed to be a talented and game Whitworth side.  Whitworth controlled possession for what seemed like the first 70 minutes or so but still trailed 1-0 at half on a goal by chicagos sophomore tommy tenuta set by cross from Matthew Koh. Whitworth scored midway thru 2nd on header off a set piece to grab momentum, but chicagos depth and liberal substitutions seemed to wear Whitworth down a bit and that gave max Lopez the opening he needed to score in the 86 minute.  Due to some nagging early season injuries, looked as if Chicago was without a few back line starters from last year.

Something about those teams out west that seem to give Chicago fits. Last game last year in round of sixteen Redlands gave them fits and ended up advancing 3-2.  I was at the game today and was pretty impressed Whitworth. Good cohesive groups that plays a nice brand of possession soccer.  I do know that they have won their conference the last three years thus getting in the tournament. Lost first round last year to Trinity.

Although Chicago seemed uninspired,  they are loaded with offensive weapons and three all Americans down the middle of the pitch in Lopez, copotosto, and keeper Hill Bonin.

I'll agree the first half effort from Chicago was lackluster but they recovered after a rough 20-25 minutes. The second half was a rout. The Maroons outshot Whitworth 11-1 and missed 2 absolute sitters one-on-one with the GK. Lopez hit the crossbar with a rocket as well. Final shoulda been 4-1. Chicago was pressing with such ferocity in the second half that most of Whitworth's back passes was almost picked and the Pirates frequently panicked and booted the ball out of bounds trying to connect. Lopez was nearly uncontainable with the ball at his feet and in traffic. Bottom line, it was first game of the year and those tend to be loose affairs.