FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PBR...

a very nice and classy quote from coach G about knoblauch in the article. i dont know when we will see the likes of him again he certainly can do it all and most important lead a team

gordonmann

Warren:

Works for me.  A good school, nice facilities, a short drive. Check, check and check. :)

splik

it looks like Susquehanna will have to play with another BRIGHT orange team.  looks like coaches in the MAC will have to start looking for non-conference games.  

Simba

Quote from: gordonmann on October 27, 2005, 12:55:19 PM
Not that it's a huge deal, but it looks like the MAC would have to amend its bylaws for TCNJ to join.  Right now the bylaws indicate members must be "private colleges."

On another note, the Doylestown Intelligencerdid a great story on Del Val QB Adam Knoblauch.  It's a very good story about his unique journey.

You can read that here

Gordon...

Now everyone knows where "the land of running water" is and what Yings & Wings mean... :) ...Well almost everyone...Nice of you to share the most recent story with the "board members" on what we in Schuylkill County knew for some time...A great story about a great kid with a great coal-region work ethic...Simba

Lyco80

Trenton State aka TCNJ in the MAC?  Cats and Dogs living together?  Can anyone tell me the real whereabouts of Daniel Simpson Day? 

But seriously, I do appreciate the Upsala answer.  And yes the question was purely rhetorical.  One wonders if we shall have similar anecdotes for Juniata in the future too.

Additionally, can any of you starters with a gazillion posts show me where the Centennial League posts their observations? 

I cannot seem to find them anywhere on here.

And, I am still hoping some of you will opine in regards to the "abandon hope all ye who enter here" approach to the MAC of the three programs exiting.  Are we to believe this is really about football?  Or is this merely a ploy by their leadership to attempt to market their schools in ways different than before to address other fiscal matters?  Just wondering what their enrollment, endowment, etc is for the schools' in question and what the future bodes. 

Upsala played some competitive football against Lycoming and others back when they were operational. 

Just wondering MAC posters . . .  Any thoughts?

All the best.

Simba

Lyco80...

I believe their leadership all feel that the move will improve their rankings in next year's US News & World Report...After all, that's what they're seeking, a level playing field right?....Seems to them that all the fields other than their own have a huge crown running down the middle of them in the MAC...Even the new next-turf field at Albright!...I guess they are just tired of tripping over those crowns every year... :)

gordonmann

Lyco80:

You'll find the Centennial Conference's message board under South Region Teams and Conferences.  Despite the geographical proximity, the MAC and CC are in different regions.

And from my conversations with people at Susquehanna, their move is motivated by the football program's strategy.

bill

The 3 MAC teams leaving are leaving primarily because of academics. It's no secret that Presidents want to associate with schools of other "similar missions"...
I too am surprised by Sus's choice of the Liberty League. For a school that preaches academics - yet is denied by the "academic" Centennial - I can't believe they are going to create a situation where their football team will have a least 4 overnights a year. That's a lot of missed class time on Fridays.
What will be even more interesting is what this all does to the league. Remember, there's more than just football.
Since the MAC will not let the 3 defectors remain in the league for their other sports, what do they do about that?
Do they all work together to find a new conference, with say - Drew, E-town, Messiah, and 2 more schools? What then happens to the MAC?
Is everyone else going to let all this posturing take place? When the music stops playing, I'm sure a few other MAC schools don't want to be left standing with the remaining MAC members...The next few months will determine if there even is a MAC next year.
Phil - I'd love to see CNJ in the conference. However, I think you've got a better chance of seeing bigfoot.
In addition to what Gordon posted, wouldn't CNJ also need state of NJ permission? Also, while the academics more than match up - no private school that's not in the NESCAC would ever even think of slugging it out for student-athletes with CNJ. I can picture this recruiting trip at say, Lycoming. "So coach G, why should I come to Lyco again?"
- Because you'll get a great education and a change to compete for a conf. title and playoffs"
"Yeah, but coach G, CNJ's facilities(overall) blow yours away, their school is of higher academic prestige and they cost less than half of what Lyco does!"
Obviously, this applies to all of the MAC schools, not just Lyco.
Phil, all you need to do is get them to raise tuition another 10K and then maybe the MAC will consider it :)

Have a great weekend everyone. No injuries!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

4man

ok.  I'm a little confused here.  Why would the D3 top 25 have the following:

#4 - Rowan
#8 - Delaware Valley
#23 - Hobart

but then in the regional rankings:

1 - Rowan
2 - Hobart
3 - Delaware Valley

What am I missing here?  Why would Del Val be ranked so high nationally but then not be ranked 2nd in regional rankings ahead of Hobart?   ??? 

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Billman56

Knightstalker

The Hobart mascot seems ok as far as mascots go...Have you ever layed eyes on the Aggie Mascot??? It is right there also.

GO AGGIES!!!!

AGGIES   24     Kings  17

phil

Bill,
Of course I'm dreaming, but I think TCNJ is a far better fit athletically and academically with MAC schools rather than schools like Montclair (they plan to have 18,000 by 2008) and Kean (12,000 students).

The costs for out of state students to attend TCNJ are about $5,000 less than tuition, room and board at Lyco – but 80% of Lyco students receive financial aid. Lyco's roster has about 100 student athletes from Pennsylvania and 7 from New Jersey. TCNJ has 72 student athletes from New Jersey and ZERO from Pennsylvania (Lyco has 40 more kids on their roster). Given these statistics and the difficult admission policies at TCNJ (1300 everage SAT and 48% acceptance rate), I doubt that the addition of TCNJ to the MAC would cause much in the way of recruiting problems.

I also think that the NJAC schools have the autonomy to make any decisions they choose about conference affiliation. NJCU tried to leave the NJAC for the NY-based Skyline conference a couple years ago. Of course, they made the brilliant move of officially leaving the NJAC before they secured a spot in the Skyline (the Skyline told them to go scratch), and were left to play as an independent in all sports before regaining NJAC admission this season.

C'mon, it makes sense – and they have a nice mascot!

Dynasty07

nationally hobart is a little underrated.
To Secure Peace is to Prepare for War

Chum Slam

Nationally Hobart hasn't done very much.
"Worrilow, get away from me before I choke you"  -Sama-

ktroutvon

They got beat as badly as Delaware Valley and have 3 playoff appearances in the last five years.