2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifth and Putnam

Do we know what time the Selection Show will be Monday?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are just days left in the regular season and conference tournaments are in full throat. And those vying to get into the NCAA Tournament are already sitting on the proverbial "bubble."

There are two ways to keep dancing in March, either win the conference automatic qualifier (i.e. tournament in most cases) or hope one's resume is good enough to be selected. However, with upsets in conference tournaments come some nervous times for those needing the at-large avenue.

Some teams are already on the bubble, but are they in trouble?

On Thursday's Hoopsville, Dave brings in guests who either have already lost or may need to win. We also enjoy the thrill of victory. And hear from a coach in charge of off-season workouts and practices at her institution. What goes into such a job as most teams start to make the transition to next season.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's show can be seen LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2NhkfYn (or via Facebook Live and Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Cameron Hill, Trinity (Texas) women's coach
- Kristin Karat, Cedar Crest women's coach & Assistant Director for Athletic Performance (WBCA Center Court)
- Jeff Brown, Middlebury men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Proposed change to NCAA Selection show:
For the at-large selections, at the table are, for example:
NE-Amherst,E-Rochester,A-Rowan,M/A-Scranton,S-Randy Mac,GL-Wooster,C-Loras,W-Pomona

with the 1st choice, the committee chooses Amherst; Hamilton now come to the table.

and so on through the 20 selections

or

when they announce the brackets, for each team that comes from pool C, announce what # selection that they are.

Again, for example:in the regional to be held @ Swarthmore, NJCU(winner of the NJAC) will meet Rochester(#18 from pool C).

This would give an idea where on the bubble other teams would find themselves in relation to Rochester as the #18 selection.

wooscotsfan

Quote from: ronk on February 21, 2019, 04:47:21 PM
Proposed change to NCAA Selection show:
For the at-large selections, at the table are, for example:
NE-Amherst,E-Rochester,A-Rowan,M/A-Scranton,S-Randy Mac,GL-Wooster,C-Loras,W-Pomona

with the 1st choice, the committee chooses Amherst; Hamilton now come to the table.

and so on through the 20 selections

or

when they announce the brackets, for each team that comes from pool C, announce what # selection that they are.

Again, for example:in the regional to be held @ Swarthmore, NJCU(winner of the NJAC) will meet Rochester(#18 from pool C).

This would give an idea where on the bubble other teams would find themselves in relation to Rochester as the #18 selection.

ronk -- great idea, but what makes you think that the NCAA will embrace this type of transparency?!  ::) ;)  They don't want a significant number of folks second guessing why someone was chosen as the last Pool C pick and everyone else was left on the table!  :o

Of course, the real irony is that the NCAA proudly states that they support higher education..blah...blah..blah.... so they should be in favor of full transparency...but wait, as long as it doesn't apply to their own selection process! (Heavy sarcasm)  ;D 

They only give us a small peek under the tent by releasing the final regional rankings but of course that still doesn't come close to revealing who was the last Pool C pick or which team has a specific seeding or why they chose a specific team to host games.  ::)

Oxymoron: NCAA Transparency!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Do you want a show that takes two hours? LOL

They do tend to give us a sense at the end of where teams came off the table. I am the one who would reveal that info on air ... but I am not sure I would get that info. While the committee chairs tend to be pretty transparent with us, there is some information like that they rather not get too detailed about - mainly for the second-guessing and none-stop phone calls and emails they get.

We can usually figure it out, by the way, once the regional rankings are released officially.

sac

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 21, 2019, 07:26:19 PM
Do you want a show that takes two hours? LOL

They do tend to give us a sense at the end of where teams came off the table. I am the one who would reveal that info on air ... but I am not sure I would get that info. While the committee chairs tend to be pretty transparent with us, there is some information like that they rather not get too detailed about - mainly for the second-guessing and none-stop phone calls and emails they get.

We can usually figure it out, by the way, once the regional rankings are released officially.

yeah, god forbid they ever have to explain their decisions.

wooscotsfan

No offense Dave but no one wants a 2 hour show to get transparent info.  We just need the NCAA to publish three simple sheets:

Sheet #1: Numerical list of all Seeds in the Bracket from 1 to 64.

Sheet #2: List of all Pool C teams in the order picked.  Bonus: provide the names of teams "on the table" (under consideration) as each Pool C pick was made.

Sheet #3: List of schools by name who applied to be a host site.  Bullet point rationale on how host sites were picked and honesty about where the travel budget was a limiting factor.

We could all read the three sheets in 10 minutes and don't need a 2 hour show.

Why don't you suggest these three sheets the next time you interview a Committee member?

Transparency is the best approach and we don't have it today. :)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They don't rank teams 1-64, so you're not going to get that one.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Could be a fairytale ending for Newbury. They close their doors at the end of the school year. The 6th seeded Nighthawks have beaten the 3rd and 2nd seeded teams and now face 4th seeded Mitchell in the NECC Final.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Nice catch, Tom. You have a nose for a good story.

Ryan, Newbury looks like a great subject for one of your ATN columns.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Rofrog

I would have loved to known!Why Scranton #2 seed few years back,Why they gave only one host in the Middle Atlantic and 3 in the East?( Yes Scranton was shipped up to Brockport st)So transparency--Most Definite From the NCAA.Still waiting for a response from them.Lol

wally_wabash

Quote from: wooscotsfan on February 21, 2019, 09:04:43 PM
Sheet #2: List of all Pool C teams in the order picked.  Bonus: provide the names of teams "on the table" (under consideration) as each Pool C pick was made.

This part you can reverse engineer with a reasonable degree of accuracy once you see the final RRs.  The water here is a little muddier than it is in football with fewer at-large teams and regions, but I think anybody who follows along closely with the content Dave, Ryan, Matt, and Drew put out can figure out who just made it in and who just didn't.  Good questions post-selection can pull some of those answers almost all the way up to the surface, but in my experience, committee chairs don't tell us who exactly was last in let alone the round by round record for each selection.  They may strongly infer certain things, but they aren't (can't?) say exactly who got picked when in the process. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 22, 2019, 11:04:08 AM
Nice catch, Tom. You have a nose for a good story.

Ryan, Newbury looks like a great subject for one of your ATN columns.

Thanks, Greg...if they win!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!