Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Bumping this forward with very little confirmed in a land where uncertainty is king. Feel free to correct or confirm. :)

Provisional Pipeline for 2020-21
First year full members: Brevard, Dean, Pfeiffer
*3rd year provisional members: SUNY Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Colo.)
2nd year provisional members: Pratt, University of St Thomas (Texas), Mississippi University for Women.
1st year provisional members: Bob Jones, Warren Wilson (confirmed)
Exploratory: Manor College (confirmed)
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

MacMurray (SLIAC) closes its doors.
Pine Manor (ACAA) will merge with Boston College after a two-year "teach out" period, though no word on athletics for 2020-21 season

Conference Changes Starting in 2020-2021
Arcadia shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Cazenovia leaves the NEAC for the NAC
Eastern shifts from the MAC Freedom to the MAC Commonwealth
Dean leaves the NECC for the GNAC
Franciscan leaves the AMCC for the Presidents' Athletic Conference
Keuka leaves the NEAC for the E8
Lycoming shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Suffolk leaves the GNAC for the CCC
SUNY Cobleskill leaves the NEAC for the NAC
SUNY Delhi leaves the ACAA for the NAC
SUNY Poly leaves the NEAC for the NAC
Valley Forge leaves the ACAA for the CSAC
York (Pa.) leaves the CAC for the MAC Commonwealth

Conference Changes Starting in 2021-2022
Mary Baldwin will add men's program, begin play in the USA South (tentative)
Southern Virginia leaves the CAC for the USA South
St. Mary's (Md.) leaves the CAC for the NEAC
St. Norbert leaves the MWC for the NACC
St. Thomas involuntarily removed from MIAC, will go to ???

DCAbloob

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: gordonmann on May 26, 2020, 11:54:30 AM
Bumping this forward with very little confirmed in a land where uncertainty is king. Feel free to correct or confirm. :)

Provisional Pipeline for 2020-21
First year full members: Brevard, Dean, Pfeiffer
*3rd year provisional members: SUNY Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Colo.)
2nd year provisional members: Pratt, University of St Thomas (Texas), Mississippi University for Women.
1st year provisional members: Bob Jones, Warren Wilson (confirmed)
Exploratory: Manor College (confirmed)
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

MacMurray (SLIAC) closes its doors.
Pine Manor (ACAA) will merge with Boston College after a two-year "teach out" period, though no word on athletics for 2020-21 season

Conference Changes Starting in 2020-2021
Arcadia shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Cazenovia leaves the NEAC for the NAC
Eastern shifts from the MAC Freedom to the MAC Commonwealth
Dean leaves the NECC for the GNAC
Franciscan leaves the AMCC for the Presidents' Athletic Conference
Keuka leaves the NEAC for the E8
Lycoming shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Suffolk leaves the GNAC for the CCC
SUNY Cobleskill leaves the NEAC for the NAC
SUNY Delhi leaves the ACAA for the NAC
SUNY Poly leaves the NEAC for the NAC
Valley Forge leaves the ACAA for the CSAC
York (Pa.) leaves the CAC for the MAC Commonwealth

Conference Changes Starting in 2021-2022
Mary Baldwin will add men's program, begin play in the USA South (tentative)
Southern Virginia leaves the CAC for the USA South
St. Mary's (Md.) leaves the CAC for the NEAC
St. Norbert leaves the MWC for the NACC
St. Thomas involuntarily removed from MIAC, will go to ???

Off topic (for this board........but saw you were on here). Are you hearing anything (or would you be willing to take a guess?) about MAC football and the school that you do a great job for come mid-August? My insiders tell me that they have several impact transfers and some stud freshmen, should there be a season.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: DCAbloob on May 26, 2020, 12:13:18 PM
And we just got a big one with the remaining ACAA schools folding into the CAC which will be renamed.
https://cacsports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200420cw0nca
https://www.goacaa.org/general/2019-20/releases/20200525v3eli4

This "new" conference is a mess. I'd bet the eastern schools continue to look for other options in the years to come.

gordonmann

JM:

No, I haven't heard anything but thanks for sharing.

And I agree with you on the new conference. Yikes.

CNU85

Gregory Sager

On the other hand, today is a gold-star day for Ken Massey, as his computer algorithm is now an integral part of the official D3 landscape.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gordonmann

Inkblot

Looks like they'll need to add another member with men's sports by 2023 if they want to keep their auto bids.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

First off, I've been talking about this merger on this board, other boards, and on Hoopsville since January. I am sure many of you read those thoughts. It was coming ... just a matter of when they were going to announce it.

Yes, it might be a 'mess,' but it is necessary. CAC wants to hold on to it's AQs; ACAA wants access to AQs. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Also, they will take in other members as well. It was recently announced that Bob Jones, Warren Wilson, and Manor will officially start the transition to DIII. There has been speculation that Bob Jones and maybe Warren Wilson would join the USA South, but I am just not sure that will happen. There is nothing official and the USAS is WAY too big. I am not sure it can take more members. This new CAC would be perfect for Bob Jones and Warren Wilson until something more suitable comes along (like the USA South finally splits, which as of last December had cooled in terms of happening).

Manor I'm told was already in talks with the ACAA on joining ... so I expect to see their name in this new group rather soon. I think a lot of other conferences will want to see new DIII members join a conference like the new CAC before then joining another conference. That allows other conferences not to have to baby sit and takes them when the schools and departments are a bit more DIII-mature.

As for a new name for the CAC ... interesting. Not sure what they will call themselves. I'll miss the CAC.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

January? Were you asleep in November and December? Hahahaha.... ;D (Joking).

The word was spreading around that time. Even hit the newspapers in mid December. But all they had was a few lines here and there. I appreciated your comments and thoughts as they were more detailed and informative.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CNU85 on May 26, 2020, 04:10:53 PM
January? Were you asleep in November and December? Hahahaha.... ;D (Joking).

The word was spreading around that time. Even hit the newspapers in mid December. But all they had was a few lines here and there. I appreciated your comments and thoughts as they were more detailed and informative.

I knew about a LOT for the last few years. I had heard about this idea around mid-December as well, but I had it confirmed through sources in mid-January that it was approved by both conferences (as much as the CAC would like to spin this as new members, it is a merger). We reported on that confirmation in January on the show. We have talked about it on the show ever since. Not one call or email telling us our information was inaccurate. :) I do my best to only report what I am absolutely sure about through confirmed sources.

BTW the mid-December story was the former CAC member indicating he had six members in mind for the conference. I knew who he was talking about within a few days, but nothing we could officially report. Just hint about.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 26, 2020, 03:58:15 PMIt was recently announced that Bob Jones, Warren Wilson, and Manor will officially start the transition to DIII. There has been speculation that Bob Jones and maybe Warren Wilson would join the USA South, but I am just not sure that will happen. There is nothing official and the USAS is WAY too big. I am not sure it can take more members. This new CAC would be perfect for Bob Jones and Warren Wilson until something more suitable comes along (like the USA South finally splits, which as of last December had cooled in terms of happening).

Manor I'm told was already in talks with the ACAA on joining ... so I expect to see their name in this new group rather soon. I think a lot of other conferences will want to see new DIII members join a conference like the new CAC before then joining another conference. That allows other conferences not to have to baby sit and takes them when the schools and departments are a bit more DIII-mature.

As for a new name for the CAC ... interesting. Not sure what they will call themselves.

How about the Nursery Conference?  ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 26, 2020, 03:58:15 PM
First off, I've been talking about this merger on this board, other boards, and on Hoopsville since January. I am sure many of you read those thoughts. It was coming ... just a matter of when they were going to announce it.

Yes, it might be a 'mess,' but it is necessary. CAC wants to hold on to it's AQs; ACAA wants access to AQs. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Also, they will take in other members as well. It was recently announced that Bob Jones, Warren Wilson, and Manor will officially start the transition to DIII. There has been speculation that Bob Jones and maybe Warren Wilson would join the USA South, but I am just not sure that will happen. There is nothing official and the USAS is WAY too big. I am not sure it can take more members. This new CAC would be perfect for Bob Jones and Warren Wilson until something more suitable comes along (like the USA South finally splits, which as of last December had cooled in terms of happening).

As for a new name for the CAC ... interesting. Not sure what they will call themselves. I'll miss the CAC.

I know a couple of folks down at Bob Jones. The gym is sweet (not "Hope sweet"........but what is?) and they have some $$$$$.They have hosted a lot of NCCAA regional and national tournaments. The production quality. both audio and video, is outstanding!

Caz Bombers

so if I'm reading both CAC and ACAA standings pages correctly, for AQ sports this is what we're left with, pending what Dave said somewhere about leagues being able to fall below 7 and not have to worry about losing Pool A...

FALL
Field Hockey - 2-year grace period was ending anyway and no newbies play. By Fall '21 only SAL/CNU/UMW will be left. Pool B.
Women's Soccer - up to 10 this fall, then down to 8 after that. A bid safe.
Volleyball - up to 10 this fall, then 8, A bid safe. **I think Pine Manor is dropping volleyball immediately.**
Men's Soccer - up to 10, then down to 7. A bid safe, but barely.

WINTER
Men's Basketball - up to 9, then down to 6. They re-start the clock on the grace period and would be Pool B in '22-23. '23-24.
Women's Basketball - up to 10, then down to 7. A bid narrowly stays safe.

SPRING
Baseball - next year would be year 2 of the grace period with Pine Manor replacing York as team #6. It sounds like Finlandia is staying in the WIAC. Would go to Pool B in '22 as only 3 teams will be left.
Softball - next year would be year 2 of the grace period, looks like they'll only have 6 since evidently PMC isn't going to continue with softball. Pool B in '22 with only 5 teams remaining.
Men's and Women's Lacrosse - see Field Hockey, except they keep A bid next spring and set to go into B in '22.
Men's Golf - clock starts with York gone and no newbies participating. B in '23.
Women's Golf - never had the A bid to begin with.
Men's Tennis - gets back to 7 teams next year, clock re-starts when they drop to 5 in spring '22. Pool in '24.
Women's Tennis - gets back up to 8 teams next year, but then drop to 6, which would send them to Pool B in '24.