MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: PointSpecial on November 17, 2008, 02:09:18 AM
GS (and anyone else who saw this weekend's games in Chi-town),

How did Edgewood shoot so well for the game?  They shot 52% from 3... and 60% for the game.  Did Chicago just not defend, leaving Edgewood wide open, or were the Eagles just on fire?

Both. The Maroons did a very poor job of defending (in all phases, not simply at guarding the perimeter), but an open look from behind the arc isn't worth anything if you don't knock down the shot ... and the Eagles were en fuego on Saturday evening, especially in the first half.

In the second half, the Eagles were able to get a few runouts from getting to long rebounds off of missed Chicago treys, and late in the game they ran a number of high-post curls that led to very easy baskets because the Maroons guards were not fighting through the high-post screen effectively.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

keith45

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 17, 2008, 01:27:32 AM
Quote from: Old School.... (Tom Doebler) on November 16, 2008, 04:11:29 AM
Millikin beats Aurora 67-61.  I know that Aurora doesn't have Welton anymore, but how bad are they (or how good is Millikin)?  I saw that Millikin was picked last in the CCIW, but Aurora was picked first in their division in the NathCon.  That must not bold well for Aurora. 

I don't know if it bodes good or ill for Aurora, Tom. ;) The Spartans are playing a bunch of newbies, and their best offensive weapon, Chad Trudo, is coming off of a season missed due to a knee injury.

Greg means Dusty Magee, not Trudo. AU has a TON of shooters but a lack of inside game..Skyler is a good defender and rebounder, but wont give you more than 8-10 a night..so there are going to be games where AU blows teams out with their shooting, and games where they lose due to their lack of size..I still take them in their side of the NATHCON, but unless they get a favorable draw in the NCAA, it might be a 1 and done..that being said, shooters are the best thing to have, IMO and AU has 3 great ones in Magee, Trudo and the other 6-3 guard (forgot his name now). I'm going to see them play at Elmhurst tomorrow, and if they shoot well, they have a fighters chance...their best bet is to go small and keep Elmhursts bigs off the floor!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: keith45 on November 17, 2008, 03:05:39 PM
Millikin beats Aurora 67-61.  I know that Aurora doesn't have Welton anymore, but how bad are they (or how good is Millikin)?  I saw that Millikin was picked last in the CCIW, but Aurora was picked first in their division in the NathCon.  That must not bold well for Aurora. 

I don't know if it bodes good or ill for Aurora, Tom. ;) The Spartans are playing a bunch of newbies, and their best offensive weapon, Chad Trudo, is coming off of a season missed due to a knee injury.

Greg means Dusty Magee, not Trudo.

Right, Magee. Thanks for catching that, Keith.

Quote from: keith45 on November 17, 2008, 03:05:39 PMI'm going to see them play at Elmhurst tomorrow, and if they shoot well, they have a fighters chance...their best bet is to go small and keep Elmhursts bigs off the floor!

They won't keep 6'8 All-American Brent Ruch off the floor, no matter how many waterbugs Coach Lancaster has running around for the Spartans. Nor will they keep 6'4 power forward Robert Strzemp, a very solid blue-collar inside man, off the floor. Aurora is going to have to resign itself to giving up a lot of points in the paint to the 'jays, and the Spartans must compensate by getting a lot of production from the backcourt. Fortunately, Elmhurst is starting two freshmen at the guard spots, and what experience the 'jays have in the backcourt off the bench is not particularly noteworthy. It should be an interesting contrast of styles, although I think that Elmhurst's inside game will be too much for Aurora to handle in the end unless the Spartans are completely unconscious from downtown.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

keith45

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 18, 2008, 01:04:39 AM
Quote from: keith45 on November 17, 2008, 03:05:39 PM

Greg means Dusty Magee, not Trudo.

Right, Magee. Thanks for catching that, Keith.

Quote from: keith45 on November 17, 2008, 03:05:39 PMI'm going to see them play at Elmhurst tomorrow, and if they shoot well, they have a fighters chance...their best bet is to go small and keep Elmhursts bigs off the floor!

They won't keep 6'8 All-American Brent Ruch off the floor, no matter how many waterbugs Coach Lancaster has running around for the Spartans. Nor will they keep 6'4 power forward Robert Strzemp, a very solid blue-collar inside man, off the floor. Aurora is going to have to resign itself to giving up a lot of points in the paint to the 'jays, and the Spartans must compensate by getting a lot of production from the backcourt. Fortunately, Elmhurst is starting two freshmen at the guard spots, and what experience the 'jays have in the backcourt off the bench is not particularly noteworthy. It should be an interesting contrast of styles, although I think that Elmhurst's inside game will be too much for Aurora to handle in the end unless the Spartans are completely unconscious from downtown.
Greg,
I agree with you, to a point, but I think you know more about EC than I do..however the "PF"  (Lance Robinson who is probably all of 6-3) for AU will handle the ball as much as  the guards (he lead the team with 108 assists last year), which means that Strzemp may be away from the basket more than he'd like. If AU can get out and run, and the three guards (Trudo, Magee and Roland, all who are 41% 3 point shooters) can stretch the floor, it might be a game!

Gregory Sager

Elmhurst 79, Aurora 65

The Spartans held a slim lead for most of the first ten minutes, but the 'jays caught them halfway thru the period and pulled out to a 13-point lead by halftime. The lead stayed in double digits throughout the second half, with Elmhurst (2-0) leading by as many as 21. Brent Ruch led five EC players who scored in double digits with 17, while Shane Roland had 22, Chad Trudo added 14, and Dusty Magee chipped in 11 for the Spartans (0-2).

http://elmhurst.edu/~athletic/Home/M-Basket/stats/2008-2009/melm02.htm

keith45

Gregory Sager

Quote from: keith45 on November 19, 2008, 11:27:51 PM
My alma mater U of Dubuque put a beatdown at Edgewood tonight, by 21 ;D

http://www.edgewoodcollegeeagles.com/custompages/Statistics/mbball/2008-09/mb09-03.htm

Like I said the other day ...

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 17, 2008, 01:27:32 AMI suppose that one can chalk it up to the inconsistency of youth, as part of the problem with playing so many freshmen and sophomores is that a team is often hot one day and cold the next.

... and 6-26 from downtown certainly constitutes a cold day.

keith45

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 19, 2008, 11:36:29 PM
Quote from: keith45 on November 19, 2008, 11:27:51 PM
My alma mater U of Dubuque put a beatdown at Edgewood tonight, by 21 ;D

http://www.edgewoodcollegeeagles.com/custompages/Statistics/mbball/2008-09/mb09-03.htm

Like I said the other day ...

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 17, 2008, 01:27:32 AMI suppose that one can chalk it up to the inconsistency of youth, as part of the problem with playing so many freshmen and sophomores is that a team is often hot one day and cold the next.

... and 6-26 from downtown certainly constitutes a cold day.
Great point! I really thought that Edgewood's size would really affect UD, but Peak from UD was 7-7 at the 4 spot, and the transfer from clarke (wont even try to spell his name, olapezie or something, had a big game

birds of prey

I was at the game last night and UD is far improved from last year, despite losing Daugherty... Just think how dangerous they would be if he had a year left.

Okpalaeze was a beast inside and it was evident by his two throw downs throughout the game. He's very athletic and versatile and he and the other two transfers from Clarke, Bellaire and Russell, all have the ability to pass the ball.

I was impressed by the balance that UD showed. It had been absent in previous years. The one downside I noticed was their inability to protect the ball late in the game when Edgewood pressed. Lots of turnovers... Without that 17-1 Edgewood run it would have been a 30+ point blowout.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

The Roop

Yippee. Lakeland beat Lake Forest by 1. But then again I suppose somebody had to win.
Ist Ihre Tochter achtzehn bitte

Just Bill

Hey, a couple nice wins for NAC teams over WIAC teams.

WLC beat UW-LaCrosse and Rockford (1-22 least year) beat UW-Stout.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Pioneer Hoops Fan

Quote from: birds of prey on November 20, 2008, 12:42:44 PM
I was at the game last night and UD is far improved from last year, despite losing Daugherty... Just think how dangerous they would be if he had a year left.

Okpalaeze was a beast inside and it was evident by his two throw downs throughout the game. He's very athletic and versatile and he and the other two transfers from Clarke, Bellaire and Russell, all have the ability to pass the ball.

I was impressed by the balance that UD showed. It had been absent in previous years. The one downside I noticed was their inability to protect the ball late in the game when Edgewood pressed. Lots of turnovers... Without that 17-1 Edgewood run it would have been a 30+ point blowout.

From what I heard, UD is capitalizing on some key transfers from across town.  Mainly from Clarke College.  UWP plays them on Bo Ryan Court Dec. 20th.  Coaching staff here has already talked about the improvement, and that was before they beat Edgewood.  I'm curious to see them play.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Just Bill on November 24, 2008, 11:01:22 AM
Hey, a couple nice wins for NAC teams over WIAC teams.

WLC beat UW-LaCrosse and Rockford (1-22 least year) beat UW-Stout.

Just a note related to WLC's Ben Ziesemer (the kid that hit the game-winning shot against UW-LaCrosse)--this poster marched with both his parents in high school band "back in the day" -his father (John)was a year ahead of me, and his mother (Doreen) was a classmate. John was a brass instrument player and Doreen was in color guard if memory serves me correctly. John was a great motivator in high school.

ausid

Aurora lost to No 1 Wash U at the Anderson University Tournament  97-89 in overtime.

petemcb

That is really impressive!  Any first-hand observations to report?