MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Oswego up 70-68 with 48 seconds to go and the ball. Burridge goes tyo the hoop and slams dunks it for a 4 point lead. Endicott comes down and hits a three but it's too little too late. Final 72-71 Burridge with 30 points.

magicman

Chad Burridge puts the Lakers on his back and bails out his twin tower, Hayden Ward who missed two free throws with no time left in regulation when he could have won the game. Endicott with their huge big guys found out that you have to play for 45 minutes sometimes. Burridge and Ward, who had a huge rebound late in overtime, did just that, as the Lakers pulled victory from the jaws of defeat. Burridge scored 30 points including all 6 points scored by the Lakers in OT. Livestats screwed up again and has yet to show anything that happened in OT but I know Burridge ended up with 30 points, at least 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. Ward had 18 points, 14 rebounds, 2 steals and a block. Sean Michele had at 19 points, 5 rebounds, and went 4-9 from downtown after a slow start of 2 for 7 from long range. The rest of the entire Laker team only scored 5 points. Talk about your Big Three!

Lakers didn't like it when I posted that they were getting manhandled by the Gulls. They sure showed me!!! ;D Way to come come back guys. Now go get one tomorrow night and get to the Sweet 16.

Mr. and Mrs. Burridge get to see Chad play at least one more time. If the Lakers win tomorrow you might be back up in my neck of the woods next weekend cause I think Middlebury might host the next round. ;)   

magicman

NCAA scores.

Oswego state 72  Endicott 71 In Overtime
I said this team wouldn't be a pushover and I predicted a closer score than the 17 point spread. I had it 75-67 Lakers. Not too bad, but closer than I wanted it to be.

Hobart 64 Ohio Wesleyan 60
Thought it would be close and it was. Glad Hobart was the winner even though I had the Bishops winning 72-68. I had the 4 point spread right. ;D

NYU 84 Misericordia 65
Was pretty sure that NYU would win this as they were favored by 8 to 10 points. I never predicted a score.

MIT 62 Skidmore 55
Glad that the Thoroughbreds didn't get embarassed like they did last year by Amherst. Didn't expect them to win as I had it 73-59 but they kept it closer.

Middlebury 75 Morrisville 49
Surprised that this margin wasn't bigger as the Panthers enjoyed a big height advantage. Mustangs were only out rebounded 40-37 though. Middlebury did cover the 23 point spread. I thought they would score more and had it 90 to 62

Farmingdale State 98 Hartwick 88 In Overtime
Hawks let this get away. Up by 10 at the break and as much as 13 in the 2nd half they let the Rams back in it and missed a shot in their final possession of regulation that sent it to OT. Up by 5 with only 2:24 to go in OT, they once again couldn't hold the lead. With the score tied the Rams hit a big 3 with a minute to go and Hartwick turned it over on their next trip down the court. Forced to foul the Hawks made  the final score larger than it should have been, when they turned it over on their next two possessions as well. I had them winning this game 73-70. My research told me to take the Rams but I wanted to root for Hartwick. Seven footer AJ Matthews had a huge game for Farmingdale State with 33 points and 19 rebounds, but the Hawks Jared Sudderly only 6'6" had a career high 40 points with 17 rebounds. 

Staten Island 98 Ithaca 73
I though the Bombers could keep this closer and they did for the first 25 minutes or so. The Dolphins started to pull away and got up by 15 with about 10 minutes left to play. Closest the Bombers could get was 11. They were jacking up 3 pointers and missing in the last 5 minutes and that led to the final 25 point margin. I had them losing but only 85-78, which would have been closer if they hadn't thrown up 37 three point attempts. (They had 25 attempts from inside the arc)

Eastern Connecticut 66 Medaille 51
Pretty close to what I thought would be the final margin. I had it 71-60. Medaille hung with them for a long time and was only down by 31-24 at the break. They were still only down 7 with 12 minutes to go but Eastern extended the lead to double digits and the Mavericks could get no closer than 10 points.

So we go from eight teams down to three, but all three teams will face tough matchups tomorrow night. I think Oswego is the best chance our region has for a win as the game with Eastern Connecticut is a tossup. The other 2 teams NYU and Hobart will be up against it as they tackle Amherst and Cabrini respectively.

with age came?

What great game between Lakers and Endicott.  Once again Lakers fierce rally snatches victory from the jaws of defeat.  No way did it look like the Lakers could win that game with 9 minutes left but they did. Burridge certainly made a strong statement for All-American status with that game.  I was so surprised that Endicott did such a poor job of forcing him away from the middle.  I can't count the number of times Chad threw in that little jump hook going into the lane. Just a fabulous game. Hope the Lakers can regroup and take on a very tough E Conn squad. It would be nice to see that team in the sweet 16! :)

magicman

Three East Region Teams in action tonight.

NYU Violets at Amherst Lord Jeffs  6:00 PM

The Violets take on the #2 ranked team in the country tonight and the oddsmakers have made them a 7 point underdog. NYU can pull off the upset here but will have to put the clamps on Amherst's floor leader Aaron Toomey. Toomey leads the club in scoring with 17.1 ppg and averages nearly 5 assists per game. The problem is the Lord Jeffs come at you with 3 outstanding guards as Willy Workman is the 2nd leading scorer on the team (11.7 ppg) and is also their leading rebounder (6.4 rpg). Taylor Barrisse is right behind Workman with 10.7 points per game and is their main 3 point threat going 75 for 157 from downtown (.478%) Between the 3 of them they shoot 85% from the line. Toomey gets to the line a lot as he's 160 for 177 for the year. Their main bigs are 6'9" Peter Kaasila, 6'6" David Waller and 6'7" Jeff Holmes, who comes in off the bench. The three guards are their main scoring options but their big men are steady and all three of them have led the team in scoring in separate games this year. The Violets will counter with their inside game led by 6'8" Andy Stein (16.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg) and 6'8" Carl Yaffe (14.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg). They also start 6'6" Max Wein (6.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg). All three of these guys can step out and hit the 3 ball as they combined for 71 x 180 from behind the arc. (40%). Their starting guards are Kyle Stockmal (14.5 ppg, 4'1 rpg, 3.7 assists per game) and Ryan Tana (7.9 ppg, 3.9 assists per game). This pair can also fire them up from beyond the arc as they have made 102 x 211 (49%).

The teams have two common opponents as Amherst beat Hamilton (also in their conference) twice by 17 and 20 points. NYU played Hamilton back in December and beat them by 37. Amherst suffered one of their only 2 losses at Brandeis, also in December, by a 76-61 margin. NYU played Brandeis twice (conference foe) and split with them, losing by 3 at home and winning on the road by 2. This leads me to believe that this game could go either way. I usually favor the team that has better guard play though and I think that's Amherst. (Plus Toomey and Workman are on my NCAA Fantasy League Team and I need them to advance to have any chance of winning) So I taking the Lord Jeffs in this one by a 73-68 margin.   

magicman

Eastern Connecticut Warriors at Oswego State Lakers 7:00 PM

The Lakers with new life after their great escape last night. Can they take advantage and move on to the sweet 16 against an Eastern Connecticut team that won, arguably, the toughest conference in the country? The Warriors won the Little East Conference's regular season crown and then gained their entry into the NCAA tournament by winning the LEC tournament championship. The LEC sent 3 teams to the dance this year, which is more than the NESCAC league sent. Eastern Connecticut and Oswego have no common opponents but in looking over their records I found that Keene State from the LEC beat St. Lawrence 75-54. SLU opened Oswego's season by handing the Lakers one of their 3 losses. Eastern played Keene State 3 times and beat them twice. Eastern also beat York (NY) by a large margin 77-52. York had beaten Medgar Evers, 74-71. Medgar Evers was another team that beat the Lakers, 73-68. That bit of info, along with the fact that the LEC had 3 teams all win their opening round games last night and they had 4 teams that were ranked in the Top 25 during the course of the season. Many people felt that Keene State should have been in th NCAA tournament as well as they were the team to topple undefeated Middlebury from their #1 ranking back on January 31st.

I'm really torn about a prediction here as I want to root for the Lakers but I really think that Eastern Connecticut will win this game. The pointspread has it a close contest with the Warriors favored by 2 points. I'm going with the Lkaers despite what my research tells me and hope the home crowd will help pull them through another tough game. Lakers win 66-64. 

magicman

Hobart Statesmen at Cabrini Cavaliers  7:00 PM

Not a lot of time for this prediction but think that the Statesmen's season will come to an end tonight. Cabrini's Cory Lemons and Aaron Walton-Moss will be too much too handle for Hobart. Pointspread has Cabrini favored by 2 points but I think they win by more than that. Hope I'm wrong but I think this one will be 85-76 in favor of the Cavaliers.

magicman

Oswego State had a 19-17 lead but the Warriors have now run off 10 straight points to take a 27-19 lead with 4:13 left in the first half.

magicman

Oswego trails Eastern Connecticut 36-26 at the half. The Warrior's Nick Nedwick hits a 3 pointer at the buzzer that banks in off the glass. It was the 2nd 3 in the period that Eastern banked home. Pure luck. Chris Robitaille leads the Warriors with 10 points and Nedwick has 9. Chad Burridge leads Oswego with 8 points.

magicman

Amherst rolls over NYU by an 80-56 score. Lord Jeffs went on a 12-4 run at the end of the 1st half to go up by 12 at the break 40-28. NYU cut the lead to 8 early in the 2nd half on 2 occasions but the 2nd time Amherst's Aaron Toomey hit a jumper and followed that up with a triple to open up a 15 point lead. 2 more three pointer's followed on the Lord Jeff's next 2 possessions and the lead ballooned to 21. It grew to 25 and NYU never got closer than 17 the rest of the game. I said the guard play would determine the winner in this game and Aaron Toomey just took over for Amherst. He had 18 points at halftime and finished with 34 points, 5 assists 2x5 from 3 point range and 10x11 from the line. Deadly there as usual. He was the only Amherst player in double figures and they scored 80 points. Don't see that too often. Willy Workman and Taylor Barisse were next in the scoring column for Amherst with 8 points each and Workman led the team in rebounds as usual with 9. I'm happy because Toomey gave me 40 points for my fantasy team and Workman gave me 20. ;D

I had the final score much closer than the actual final but thought that NYU could keep up with Amherst offensively. The Violets end their season with a 21-6 final record.

magicman

Oswego making a comback now only trail 42-38 with 10:23 left to play as Chad Burridge just hit another 3 pointer. C'mon Lakers.

Burridge makes another 3 pointer to make it 44-43.

magicman

Three Hayden Ward free throws have given Oswego the lead at 50-49 with 5:20 to go. Burridge once again carrying the Lakers on his back with 24 points. Ward has 6.

Lakers now up 52-51 with 3:02 left to play.

Lakers still up 52-51 with 1:57 to play. Hayden Ward on the line for a 1&1 misses the front end. East Conn's Nedwick scores and gets fouled. He goes to the line and completes the 3 point play. Oswego down 54-52. Lakers come down and Burridge misses a three pointer. East Conn with the ball and a time out with 58 seconds left. East Conn misses their field goal attempt. Oswego rebounds, comes down and Ward is fouled with 32 seconds left. He makes the first one and the second  to tie it up at 54.  East Conn comes down and works it for the final shot. They miss and Burridge gets hit in the scrum for the rebound and goes down. He gets up slowly and the East Conn fans scream for a foul but we're going to Overtime.

magicman

Oswego can't score in OT and trails 60-55 with 35 seconds left. East Conn misses the front end of a 1&1 and Oswego comes down and misses a three gets the rebound misses inside rebounds again and kicks it out to Sean Michele who hits a triple to make  it 60-58 with 15 seconds left. Oswego takes a time out and tries to trap the ball on the inbounds play. They do and force Eastern to take a time out with 11 seconds left. They try and inbound the ball again and to avoid a 5 second call throw it off an Oswego defender. They call another time out. Eastern inbounds the ball and they are immediately fouled.  Eastern player misses both free throws and Oswego rebounds and brings it down to find Chris Gilkes underneath with .06 seconds left for a basket that ties it up and we're going to double Overtime. What a game.

magicman

Teams trade the lead as Oswego gets a 3 pointer from Ward and a free throw from Burridge to take a 4 point lead. Eastern comes back with a basket by Yarbourough and a 3 pointer by Kohn to retake the lead 65-64. Ward drives to the hoop and scores to put the Lakers back in front 66-65. Kohn is fouled on Eastern's next possession but misses both free throws. Oswego comes down and Sheridan is fouled and makes them both to put Oswego up 68-65. Eastern comes down and scores to make it 68-67 with 16 seconds to go. Laker's Michele is fouled with 12 seconds left and makes the first but Eastern calls a time out to ice him. it works and he misses the 2nd free throw. Eastern comes down and buries a three with 2.5 seconds left to play. Oswego throws the ball the length of the court but can't get off a decent shot and Eastern Connecticut wins it  70-69. I'm exhausted. Tough loss for the Lakers, but a big win for the Warriors. 

gordonmann

Great effort by Hobart tonight. The Statesmen showed a lot of heart tonight.