MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markerickson

I remember sitting next to Sager in the bleachers decades ago who "taunted" Calvin players during pre-game warmpus.  He told the Calvin players they were pre-destined to lose the game.  That was a legit comment, and also amusing.  NPC won the game.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: markerickson on December 14, 2018, 11:11:24 PM
I remember sitting next to Sager in the bleachers decades ago who "taunted" Calvin players during pre-game warmpus.  He told the Calvin players they were pre-destined to lose the game.  That was a legit comment, and also amusing.  NPC won the game.

I can easily imagine that, having met him perhaps 18(?) years ago at King (the MIAA-CCIW challenge).  Today, I can't imagine him doing that - whether it is his maturation or NPU being 3+ decades beyond a dynasty is an open question. 8-)

augie77

I recall attending an Augustana at North Park game in the late 1970s or early 1980s.  There was an obnoxious student leading cheers (insults) from the North Park bleachers.  Who would that have been?   ;)

iwu70

I recommend live chickens, not insults . . .

I'm sure we've all "matured" a bit . . .

'70

Titan Q

#15-Illinois Wesleyan (7-2, 1-2) vs Carroll (2-6, 0-3), 7pm...

Titans (7-2, 1-2)
G - Brady Rose, 6-3/185 Sr.  20.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.6 apg
G - Colin Bonnett, 6-4/190 Sr.  10.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 3.1 apg
G - Jason Gregoire, 6-4/205 Sr.  12.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg
F - Charlie Bair, 6-7/205 So.  8.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg
C - Alex O'Neill, 6-9/245 Jr.  6.7ppg, 5.2 rpg

Pioneers (2-6, 0-3)
G - Nick Penny, 6-2/185 Jr.  10.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.5 apg
G - Troy Howat, 6-2/175 Sr.  10.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.5 apg
G - Ray Pierce, 6-0/175 Sr.  4.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.4 apg
G - Charlie Soule, 6-2/185 Jr.  11.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg
F - Tyler Ingebrightsen, 6-7/225 Sr.  7.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg

Pantagraph - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/refreshed-iwu-looks-to-return-to-winning-ways/article_55703a90-823d-557d-bf53-f0f0762cda40.html

Video/Stats - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/iwu/

WEXG Radio - http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WWHP

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 14, 2018, 11:31:35 PM

I can easily imagine that, having met him perhaps 18(?) years ago at King (the MIAA-CCIW challenge).  Today, I can't imagine him doing that - whether it is his maturation or NPU being 3+ decades beyond a dynasty is an open question. 8-)

That supposed maturation is really the only open question here, Chuck. ;) I had ceased trying to be a thorn in anybody's side with regard to yelling stuff from the stands back when Bosko was still the coach, long before North Park's men's basketball program went into decline.

Quote from: augie77 on December 14, 2018, 11:41:24 PM
I recall attending an Augustana at North Park game in the late 1970s or early 1980s.  There was an obnoxious student leading cheers (insults) from the North Park bleachers.  Who would that have been?   ;)

Coulda been me, as I definitely fit the description. ;) But it might've been one of my predecessors. Neither the "Hail North Park!" cheer (which is still used by contemporary NPU students, albeit only at soccer matches) nor the "Winning Team, Losing Team" cheer (which ceased to be a part of the North Park student section repertoire after I stopped doing it) began with me. I inherited the task of Obnoxious Yelling Guy from Dave Fafara, and I'm not sure who had passed it down to Dave. Despire the cessation of "Winning Team, Losing Team" (which the NPC administration and alumni absolutely hated), there were plenty of students who took up the mantle after me. Goop McGillis (not his real name) may have been the most inspired of all of us Obnoxious Yelling Guys, as he's the one who coined "Yo, Baby", which has been a staple of North Park student sections for thirty years now.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

augie77

"Winning Team, Losing Team" was definitely one of the cheers.  -K.   Makes up for all the +K I've given you over the years.   ;D

joehakes

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 15, 2018, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 14, 2018, 11:31:35 PM

That supposed maturation is really the only open question here, Chuck. ;) I had ceased trying to be a thorn in anybody's side with regard to yelling stuff from the stands back when Bosko was still the coach, long before North Park's men's basketball program went into decline.

Quote from: augie77 on December 14, 2018, 11:41:24 PM

Coulda been me, as I definitely fit the description. ;) But it might've been one of my predecessors. Neither the "Hail North Park!" cheer (which is still used by contemporary NPU students, albeit only at soccer matches) nor the "Winning Team, Losing Team" cheer (which ceased to be a part of the North Park student section repertoire after I stopped doing it) began with me. I inherited the task of Obnoxious Yelling Guy from Dave Fafara, and I'm not sure who had passed it down to Dave. Despire the cessation of "Winning Team, Losing Team" (which the NPC administration and alumni absolutely hated), there were plenty of students who took up the mantle after me. Goop McGillis (not his real name) may have been the most inspired of all of us Obnoxious Yelling Guys, as he's the one who coined "Yo, Baby", which has been a staple of North Park student sections for thirty years now.

Was that the game when the Calvin coach punted the ball over the bleachers?  Not a tall order in the Crackerbox, but excellent form.  I was the PA guy at NP in those days and it was really fun to work with the crowd back then led by Chief Viking Sager.

(modified by GS for formatting)

4samuy

At the half in Decatur,

Augustana  44
Millikin       16

voxelmhurst

Elmhurst 89
North Park 59

Elmhurst with the comfortable home win to extend winning streak to 3 and, more importantly, begin the CCIW season 3-0 for the first time since 2015/16. Jeremy Ireland led all scorers with 25. Rhode with 16. Marakis with 10. Elmhurst played very well in this one save for a few minutes late in the first half. They've been turning the ball over less in their last few games and getting the ball into Ireland more often

I was surprised to see what I saw from North Park considering they beat Wheaton and North Central. Seems like most North Park - Elmhurst games are either down to the last minute or blowouts. 

Gregory Sager

I missed the NPU game today, since I had to sing at a memorial service. Looks like I didn't miss anything worth seeing.

NPU is clearly riding the rollercoaster in a big way since CCIW play started. One night a great performance against a ranked team, the next time out the Vikings completely lay an egg.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

North Central beat Wheaton, 68-58.

Considering what happened at the end of the game, the result of the game is not important.

Gregory Sager

Carroll 90
Illinois Wesleyan 83

Tyler Ingebrigtsen, your table is ready.

Titan Q

Tough loss for the Titans, who for whatever reason, could not begin to defend Carroll for any stretch of time tonight.

IWU's season in real trouble now.

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 15, 2018, 09:58:01 PM
Carroll 90
Illinois Wesleyan 83

Tyler Ingebrigtsen, your table is ready.
27 points 7 rebounds 4 assists 11-16 FGs not a bad night for Tyler Ingebritsen. Titans had no defensive answer for him.