1. Southern Maine (5) 34-5 40 pts.
2. Eastern Connecticut 31-6 33 pts.
3. Trinity 26-5 32 pts.
4. Suffolk 30-8 18 pts.
5. Wheaton 30-12 14 pts.
6. Curry 34-7 12 pts.
7. WPI 26-11 11 pts.
7. Western New England 29-15 11 pts.
Also receiving votes: Babson 3, Williams 3, Worcester State 3.

Looks like only winning percentage counts... not 'who has beaten who' when it matters most.

Hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is a joke right?

Word :D
Word

YA, Boy

Since when do games other than the conf. tournaments at the end of a season matter more that games at the beginning of one...There was a point where WC was 24-3 against more than solid in region and out of region competition...stop whining about things that haven't even happend yet and let the bids come in as they do. We all understand that they dropped games in the newmac but who has curry played this season...?

wordsmith

Quote from: YA, Boy on May 05, 2009, 12:12:40 PM
There was a point where WC was 24-3 against more than solid in region and out of region competition...stop whining about things that haven't even happend yet and let the bids come in as they do. We all understand that they dropped games in the newmac but who has curry played this season...?

......and a sterling 6-9 when things counted! :P :P

moc323 where you be???

This is the first NE Poll 2 weeks ago.....with records since

New England Region
1. Southern Maine 28-3 23-2                         (6-2) 8)
2. Trinity (Conn.) 21-3 21-1                            (10-3) 8)
3. Wheaton (Mass.) 25-7 22-6                       (5-5) ???
4. Eastern Connecticut 22-6 19-6                  (8-0) 8)
5. WPI 21-9 20-6                                           (5-2) 8)
6. Curry 28-4 24-3                                         (6-3) 8)
7. Suffolk 24-7 21-6                                       (6-1) ::)
8. Worcester State 23-10 23-7                      (6-5) :(
9. Western New England 23-12 20-11           (6--3) 8)
10. St. Joseph's (Maine) 25-10 22-6               ??

Word :D
Word

YA, Boy

Reguardless, thats why there's a full season not just two weeks at the end of april. there is no doubt the bid war will be between curry and wheaton and it will be exciting come the 10th who gets it both deserving teams, no need to sit on here and bash either of them not to mention the battle they had where curry held wheaton down for nine scoreless...yet i still haven't heard a word about curry dropping their conference?????

wordsmith

Quote from: YA, Boy on May 05, 2009, 12:46:18 PM
Reguardless, thats why there's a full season not just two weeks at the end of april. there is no doubt the bid war will be between curry and wheaton and it will be exciting come the 10th who gets it both deserving teams, no need to sit on here and bash either of them not to mention the battle they had where curry held wheaton down for nine scoreless...yet i still haven't heard a word about curry dropping their conference?????

YA Boy,

If you have a chance you may want to look back at some earlier posts regarding Curry.

I personally think, WPI is being scorned. I have no connection with them at all, I just really like how they have beaten most all the big boys they have played including Wheaton twice, St. Joe's UMD, Trinity, Babson, Brandeis.
I just am looking for fairness. In the words of the immortal Al Sharpton ....NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE, NO JUSTICE NO PEACE....PREACH IT REV, PREACH IT 8)

Word :P
Word

ecfaninri

Word.....
You are right - you have to look at the body of work.... I have been saying all year, look at what WPI is doing. But then again - I am from RI and Conor Fahey is a RoadIslander. He is one of the top pitchers in the country and truly doesn't get the credit for turning that staff around.

It is crazy though ----- body of work - USM and Eastern ranked number 1 and 4 in the country. They split in their doubleheader in March and since then they are (USM) 21-3 and (ECSU) 15-5. Eastern has had 4 postponements - Trinity, Suffolk, Wesleyan, and Babson. I'm not sure how many ppd's the Huskies have had. But to tell you the truth.... I am kind of glad they they are not making them up, especially since they could see each of these teams at the (Super)Regional in Mansfield next week. It is truly a shame that these two teams plus Trinity each have a claim to a potential number 1 ranking and a better path through to Appleton in a NY or Mid Atlantic Regional. Whoever comes out of the the NE regional with be battle tested and possibly worn out because it is an 8 team format vs. a six team format.

GBear210

Ya, Boy,

"Reguardless, thats why there's a full season not just two weeks at the end of april."

Your watching from the bleachers if you think the beginning of the year is just as important as the end of the year.  You might as well say "No tournaments just the regular season standings!" :o  The tourney winners develop their players during the regular season, so they can win the tourney (i.e., more regular season losses). ;)

hockeyfan77

Quote from: ecfaninri on May 05, 2009, 03:05:26 PM
Word.....
You are right - you have to look at the body of work.... I have been saying all year, look at what WPI is doing. But then again - I am from RI and Conor Fahey is a RoadIslander. He is one of the top pitchers in the country and truly doesn't get the credit for turning that staff around.

It is crazy though ----- body of work - USM and Eastern ranked number 1 and 4 in the country. They split in their doubleheader in March and since then they are (USM) 21-3 and (ECSU) 15-5. Eastern has had 4 postponements - Trinity, Suffolk, Wesleyan, and Babson. I'm not sure how many ppd's the Huskies have had. But to tell you the truth.... I am kind of glad they they are not making them up, especially since they could see each of these teams at the (Super)Regional in Mansfield next week. It is truly a shame that these two teams plus Trinity each have a claim to a potential number 1 ranking and a better path through to Appleton in a NY or Mid Atlantic Regional. Whoever comes out of the the NE regional with be battle tested and possibly worn out because it is an 8 team format vs. a six team format.

USM had 3 games rained out in that same time span...

moc323

Hey, word, national rankings are in and Curry is well ahead of Wheaton....rightfully so (and finally?)   Does Wheaton really have the wworst record of all top 10 new England teams, in last 10 games?   I believe it--just hadn't seen those stats in print, so, thanks for digging them up.  Wonder if the selection committee has them?  We'll see, Sunday, I guess....   I had also noted Wheaton's outstanding record, back when they were 24-3, in a prior post....although much of that was Arizona, followed by the bottom teams in NEWMAC, to start their conference schedule.  As everyone knows, they didn't play Babson, nor W.P.I. until the final week and went 1-3, "when it counted most" as others have stated already.   W.P.I. won the NEWMAC reg season and swept WC at the end....so, I agree they would be one of the ones with a biggest, WTF, if WC gets the nod over them?    All any of us are looking for, is "fairness" across the board---including teams which have previously "earned" their way to NCAA's in past years---but, whom may have played themselves out of NCAA's this season.   When they select teams for March Madness/NCAA hoops.....the final 10 games played by all teams are much more important than the 1st 10 played (in Arizona??) ....unless you're "watching from the bleachers" (this comment posted earlier was right on target) and unless you're wearing a "YA BOY/WC" HAT......?

Paul Heering

I might be in the minority here but I think a game is a game is a game (assuming the competition is equal).  Other than conference tournament games (that result in an AQ) I think that a win on March 3rd should count the same as a win on April 3rd and count the same as a win on May 3rd.

moc323

I ALSO HAVE NO TIES TO WPI,......NOR TO CURRY....but, believe based on all stats from the last few weeks, for all of these teams, provided in posts over the past few days....it seems both Curry and WPI,  should get the nod over WC...  

In today's national poll released, Curry is # 16, Wheaton # 22 fyi...    Of course, that's just a poll, determined by 25 coaches, is it?   Are the coaches names/teams listed anywhere, publically for viewing?    just curious.  I assume that's 25 different conferences represented----out of how many total conferences in D3 overall?  

moc323

Hey, Paul....I normally agree with that, "game is a game...win is a win" approach, so, not sure you're really in the minority there...as I believe that approach gets all the teams with similar "overall" records, and/or with similar regional records, on the table with all others for more detailed comparisons.   I just think--as far as "bubble teams" are concerned, the last 10 games can be (should be?) just one more way to differentiate between the final few teams being considered in any given region---and eventually when comparing teams from 3,000 miles apart for a final invite or 2.   All else being fairl equal----you gotta take a team that's 8-2 in last 10 vs a 5-5 team, assuming competition is similar?   That's just my thought process--if no other factors allow separating....

rbgosfan

The "a game is a game" theory no matter when it occurred is 100% accurate when everything boils down to winning percentage being the deciding factor like all professional sports where you have to win your division or have the next best record to make a wild card.

However once any subjectivity is put into it and a committe is deciding who plays in the playoffs then I can no longer agree with "a game is a game". Almost  no one likes the BCS for D1 football but you can not tell me a loss in your first game of the season is as  harmful as a loss in your last game. The games played during crunch time and closest to the decision point definitely influence selection committees more and I think they should.

If you are selecting an at large team, it should be someone who has played well for the entire year but is also playing at a high level at the end of the season. Had Wheaton won the regular season and then lost in the tournament, I would have thought they fully deserved a bid, but a 5-5 record to close the season with losses to many of the teams battling them for the Pool C bid, I do not  think they should get in ahead of WPI.

I also do not think Curry's overall body of work makes them deserving of a Pool C bid. They had a great record but did not play many of the top teams in the region. Their biggest win of the season was over Wheaton, but that came when Wheaton was in their downward spiral at the end of the season.

wordsmith

Quote from: Paul Heering on May 05, 2009, 05:18:37 PM
I might be in the minority here but I think a game is a game is a game (assuming the competition is equal).  Other than conference tournament games (that result in an AQ) I think that a win on March 3rd should count the same as a win on April 3rd and count the same as a win on May 3rd.

Paul,

I agree in theory, however, when we put that into practice, I'm not sure human nature allows it to fully apply. Look at the BCS in college football. A team is 11-0 and loses a game in the last week of the regular season. That team will most surely get passed by most all other 1 loss teams, even teams they defeated earlier in the year.

So, the question in my mind becomes, should the polls reflect the teams that are playing the best ballor should they reflect the best teams. 'Cause we all know the best team does not always win.

Word

Word

d3baseballnut

Maybe their schedule wasnt as difficult as Wheaton's, but that is why they need to have a better record....oh wait, Curry does...a lot better record.

I don't care you who play, how does 34-7 not get you in?? You can't always control who you play at this level...a lot is decided by your conference.

The fact is Curry deserves to be in. If 34-7 doesnt get you in, I don't know what does. If the committeee is going to take a 16-17 loss team from the NJAC, it makes no sense to leave Curry home. Although strength of schedule counts for something, so does WINNING....lets not forget they BEAT wheaton head to head

Curry has a better record and won head to head