BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: moc323 on May 09, 2009, 10:14:28 PM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on May 09, 2009, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: moc323 on May 09, 2009, 09:33:16 PM
to be honest, it probably won't be the same regionals w/out Wheaton, as they are always there at the end---period.   I guess USM HAS to be invited, though they faltered in last 2 of 3 games......can't imagine them being left out.   Not sure if Trinity won, or is in the finals etc....but--if they win their tourney--I guess that sets up the question of which 1,2 or 3 of the 3 (Curry, Wheaton, WPI) the committee reaches out to?    Lat I knew, WPI played into the finals maybe, of the ECAC, and they know they are also on life support.     Maybe all 3 get an invite?  good luck-----

USM had a 35-7 record and beat Wheaton 14-3 head to head: I think it's obvious which team they should take...
OF COURSE USM GOES, WELL BEFORE WHEATON....as do WPI and Curry...WPI just won the ECAC tourney today, walking through all teams fairly easily.      No Wheaton this year......
Those WPI wins in the ECAC are in-region and get figured into In-Region W/L results.

hockeyfan77

Quote from: moc323 on May 09, 2009, 10:14:28 PM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on May 09, 2009, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: moc323 on May 09, 2009, 09:33:16 PM
to be honest, it probably won't be the same regionals w/out Wheaton, as they are always there at the end---period.   I guess USM HAS to be invited, though they faltered in last 2 of 3 games......can't imagine them being left out.   Not sure if Trinity won, or is in the finals etc....but--if they win their tourney--I guess that sets up the question of which 1,2 or 3 of the 3 (Curry, Wheaton, WPI) the committee reaches out to?    Lat I knew, WPI played into the finals maybe, of the ECAC, and they know they are also on life support.     Maybe all 3 get an invite?  good luck-----

USM had a 35-7 record and beat Wheaton 14-3 head to head: I think it's obvious which team they should take...
OF COURSE USM GOES, WELL BEFORE WHEATON....as do WPI and Curry...WPI just won the ECAC tourney today, walking through all teams fairly easily.      No Wheaton this year......

I misread your post...Sorry bout that...

ecfaninri

I think that if WPI gets in, teams may want to re-think there position about playing in the ECAC tourney for no other reason than to add possible in -region wins for the committee to look at. But also if a team loses a couple it could hurt them.

DIII Dad

Quote from: ecfaninri on May 10, 2009, 06:23:39 AM
I think that if WPI gets in, teams may want to re-think there position about playing in the ECAC tourney for no other reason than to add possible in -region wins for the committee to look at. But also if a team loses a couple it could hurt them.
I agree that it could hurt them if a team loses, but if your on the bubble already wouldn't you take the chance to try and get some in regions wins to help yourself. Take a team like Wheaton they probably had nothing to lose playing the ECAC. If they win it, it might help. They could have gotten a win over WPI that could have helped. In my opinion I thought they should have played in it to try and help themselves. Now it doesn't seem to matter, they are likely done. But crazier things have happened with the selections.

dubbc

In order to play in the ECAC's you have to schedule fewer games (36 i believe) AND leave an extra week open at the end of the year (this means taking away a week from indoor practice in the winter) both things wouldn't make sense for a team like wheaton to do since they usually get an AQ bid

moc323

I agree with the, "if you're already on the bubble", then play ECAC's if you can do so...Why not?  If you lose a couple more---you had your chance to shine and show you do belong in NCAA's, vs letting other teams play and move (further?) ahead of you in the final week of rankings.....(WPI/Wheaton)    now WPI is showing 5-6 wins in a row at year end---vs Wheaton losing 2 of their last 3.  I fthe committee had them fairly even with 1 week left for final bid---guess whom gets the nod?   It still is a "guess" for us fans.........but, I agree you want to give the committee as much favorable info to consider in the end.    The 1 week of indoors missed, may be more than made up for on the Arizona trip and the keeping your schedule at 36 games may also save you a few more arms for the NCAA's....?    I think the " usually gets an A.Q. bid thought process may need slight adjusting in future years, with the arrival of WPI, MIT, Babson the last few years.   Not sure the A.Q. bid is a "guarantee" any longer....Why assume that, when you can cya a little at the end by leaving the option for ECAC?     Playing that tourney may also keep your current rotation in sinc vs having all 4 starters with 2 weeks off before game one of NCAA's?    Rest is good for those whom need rest---but, as we all know, sometimes starters are in grooves you don't want to take 2 weeks off of at tourney time.     Again---if you are off for 2 weeks--you have no choices and no way to help your cause, if ya end up on that bubble.    The competition in NEWMAC may be more even now, vs in its 1st 8-9 years of existence?   

Rick Vaughn

All-NE thoughts - because I am bored at work.

C - Killeen (Trin), 1B - Graham (Trin), 2B - Piancentini (Trin), SS - Burleson (USM), 3B - Castillo (ECSU), OF - Doyon (KSC), D'Alfonso (USM), Fatse (WNEC), UTL - Moran (SJM), Gilblair (ECSU), P - Bayer (Trin), Fahey (WPI), Aizenstadt (Bab), RP - Simmons (Wheat)

There is a very distinct LEC and Trinity flavor to my list, but the numbers and talent make it hard to have it any other way.  If anyone has suggestions for 2B, I am open to hearing them.  Piancentini's numbers were not as good as I realized.  Also, that 3rd pitcher is very up in the air.  Bayer and Fahey are locks, but several could be put up against Aizenstadt.  I am sure people will have questions on Fatse, but his 66 RBI are very impressive. 

hockeyfan77

Quote from: Rick Vaughn on May 11, 2009, 02:50:39 PMAll-NE thoughts - because I am bored at work.C - Killeen (Trin), 1B - Graham (Trin), 2B - Piancentini (Trin), SS - Burleson (USM), 3B - Castillo (ECSU), OF - Doyon (KSC), D'Alfonso (USM), Fatse (WNEC), UTL - Moran (SJM), Gilblair (ECSU), P - Bayer (Trin), Fahey (WPI), Aizenstadt (Bab), RP - Simmons (Wheat)There is a very distinct LEC and Trinity flavor to my list, but the numbers and talent make it hard to have it any other way.  If anyone has suggestions for 2B, I am open to hearing them.  Piancentini's numbers were not as good as I realized.  Also, that 3rd pitcher is very up in the air.  Bayer and Fahey are locks, but several could be put up against Aizenstadt.  I am sure people will have questions on Fatse, but his 66 RBI are very impressive. 
I am not very good at these list but I think Ryan Pike would have to be on there somewhereAVG  .359  10HR  65RBI  with 21 SB

Stump

Quote from: hockeyfan77 on May 11, 2009, 02:55:58 PM
Quote from: Rick Vaughn on May 11, 2009, 02:50:39 PMAll-NE thoughts - because I am bored at work.C - Killeen (Trin), 1B - Graham (Trin), 2B - Piancentini (Trin), SS - Burleson (USM), 3B - Castillo (ECSU), OF - Doyon (KSC), D'Alfonso (USM), Fatse (WNEC), UTL - Moran (SJM), Gilblair (ECSU), P - Bayer (Trin), Fahey (WPI), Aizenstadt (Bab), RP - Simmons (Wheat)There is a very distinct LEC and Trinity flavor to my list, but the numbers and talent make it hard to have it any other way.  If anyone has suggestions for 2B, I am open to hearing them.  Piancentini's numbers were not as good as I realized.  Also, that 3rd pitcher is very up in the air.  Bayer and Fahey are locks, but several could be put up against Aizenstadt.  I am sure people will have questions on Fatse, but his 66 RBI are very impressive. 
I am not very good at these list but I think Ryan Pike would have to be on there somewhereAVG  .359  10HR  65RBI  with 21 SB

Great list Rick-- I would agree with hockeyfan that Pike should probably be in the OF

TheGNAC

Bobby Barrett from Suffolk needs to be on that list somewhere, too.

.384 BA, 13 doubles, 5 triples, 7 HR, 66 RBI, .685 SLG%, 8-9 in stolen bases while catching 35 games.

moc323

Quote from: Rick Vaughn on May 11, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

C - Killeen (Trin), 1B - Graham (Trin), 2B - Piancentini (Trin), SS - Burleson (USM), 3B - Castillo (ECSU), OF - Doyon (KSC), D'Alfonso (USM), Fatse (WNEC), UTL - Moran (SJM), Gilblair (ECSU), P - Bayer (Trin), Fahey (WPI), Aizenstadt (Bab), RP - Simmons (Wheat)

There is a very distinct LEC and Trinity flavor to my list, but the numbers and talent make it hard to have it any other way.  If anyone has suggestions for 2B, I am open to hearing them.  Piancentini's numbers were not as good as I realized.  Also, that 3rd pitcher is very up in the air.  Bayer and Fahey are locks, but several could be put up against Aizenstadt.  I am sure people will have questions on Fatse, but his 66 RBI are very impressive. 

maybe add sean cleary (catcher.babson to your list?   B. Bessinger (babson) on list maybe also?   2 very good greshmen sp at M.I.T. you could think about in a 4 slot?

moc323

Quote from: moc323 on May 11, 2009, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: Rick Vaughn on May 11, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

maybe add sean cleary (catcher.babson to your list?   B. Bessinger (babson) on list maybe also?   2 very good greshmen sp at M.I.T. you could think about in a 4 slot?
freshmen sp, not grehmen:)))   don't hv their names but both were about 5-1 at last look?

ecfaninri

How about John Parke (Econn) 2B and Jim Schult (EConn) OF? Could Musson, and Fontaine have been considered if they were the only ones on their staff? I think each of these kids would rather collect the memories of possibly playing well enough to go to Appleton.

Rick Vaughn

ecfan - I would say that four LEC OF's were the first four I left off (Pike, Schult, Perkins, Callahan).  I think Parke/Besinger/Piancentini all bring different things to the table and are pretty much neck and neck at 2B (at second thought I would go with Parke).  Musson and Fontaine would be the next two pitchers. 

The thing I felt bad about when I first made that list was that lack of a player from Suffolk and Curry.  Let's say Barrett is our 1st team All-NE DH!

moc - Cleary?  A freshman catcher who had a nice first year, but All-NE?!?  Killeen is the clear 1st teamer and my pick for POY.

Forgot to add this to my first post:

NE POY - Killeen (Trinity)
NE PitchOY - Bayer (Trinity)
NE FOY - Callahan (KSC)   

rbgosfan

You had  Andrew Fatse from WNEC in the outfield, but he actually played 2B which is where you were looking for someone. Also have to consider Chris Newell from WNEC in the outfield.