BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wordsmith

Quote from: TheGNAC on April 18, 2008, 04:52:52 PM
Suffolk vs. Johnson and Wales is a big matchup tomorrow. Suffolk needs a split with JWU to win the conference outright, and if they sweep, they'll be the first team to ever run the table in the GNAC. They're currently 12-0, Johnson and Wales is 11-1. This is a big matchu

Good one GNAC. By the way is it true Johnson and Wales use rolling pins instead of bats when they hit, or are not all the students in the Culinary Arts Program? ;D

Word
Word

Jcon8958

Can we just 363pd off this board because year in and year out wheaton is one of the most overrated tesams around yah they finish 2nd in the series a few years ago but if you put them in the LEC they will be lucky to get 4th they dont have the pitching depth to hang with the aces of the LEC.

363dp

What a battle!  Out num(b)bered. Let's go.

Word, I know from reading your posts you know your stuff! Not only Dupes (NE Player of the year) but Pat O'Connor,Bryant and Mike Direda, Assumption, have moved on and are missed. But word Wheaton took 2 from TEE last year, first sweep ever.

Con man, not the pitching depth of the LEC teams.......please. Ask word, Wheatons pitching depth will match up with TEE and surpass all other LEC teams over the past few years.

KFAN "smoked by the top lec teams over the past few years" better check the records before you say to much.

Also KFAN, "Wheaton does not play the schedule"  There league has some soft spots as does the LEC, but Wheatons schedule is tough like TEE and Keene, much more differcult than the mess boston.

Alum, you missed the other game last year, a 2-1 LYON killing at mansfield, a great game with much fan participation.

Have a great weekend , hope to see you at the park.

ECSUalum

Quote from: 363dp on April 18, 2008, 09:28:23 PM
What a battle!  Out num(b)bered. Let's go.

Word, I know from reading your posts you know your stuff! Not only Dupes (NE Player of the year) but Pat O'Connor,Bryant and Mike Direda, Assumption, have moved on and are missed. But word Wheaton took 2 from TEE last year, first sweep ever.

Con man, not the pitching depth of the LEC teams.......please. Ask word, Wheatons pitching depth will match up with TEE and surpass all other LEC teams over the past few years.

KFAN "smoked by the top lec teams over the past few years" better check the records before you say to much.

Also KFAN, "Wheaton does not play the schedule"  There league has some soft spots as does the LEC, but Wheatons schedule is tough like TEE and Keene, much more differcult than the mess boston.

Alum, you missed the other game last year, a 2-1 LYON killing at mansfield, a great game with much fan participation.

Have a great weekend , hope to see you at the park.

363dp

I stand corrected

One of those ECSU defensive lapses

Score by Innings                                R  H  E
-------------------------------------------
Wheaton College      011 000 000 -   2  5  1
Eastern Connecticut  001 000 000 -  1  7  3
-------------------------------------------

Wheaton College (MA)   IP  H  R ER BB SO AB BF
-----------------------------------------------
Chris McDonough.....  3.2  5  1  1  1  4 15 16
Jared Barnes........  2.0  2  0  0  2  1  8 10
Brian Hughes........  1.1  0  0  0  1  1  4  5
Keith Pescosolido...  1.0  0  0  0  0  1  3  3
Josh Simmons........  0.0  0  0  0  2  0  0  2
Pat Martin..........  1.0  0  0  0  0  0  2  3

Eastern Conn        IP    H  R ER BB SO AB BF
-----------------------------------------------
Joe Esposito........  6.0  3  2  0    4   5  21 28
Justin Davis........   3.0  2  0  0    0   1  12 12

ECSUalum

363pd,

I admit Wheaton has come up with a very good program over the last 3 years.

now it's my turn to wash my mouth out with pine tar  ::)

KSCfan

363dp when i smoked i didnt mean the scores of the game but rather wheaton got swept out of the Regionals and should of lost the regular season game to keene.  I think that if you put wheaton in the LEC they would easily be a top  team, but there is no way that the NEWMAC puts up the fight that the LEC team does.  By all means i think that Wheaton is clearly one of the top teams of New England, and i know for a fact that wheaton would pound ujoke boston into the ground, much like did Keene did to them today.  But Wheaton can still be summed up in 2 words OVER  RATED

KSCfan

Looking forward to wheaton and southern maine today, is it on webcast or the webradio at all cause i would like to watch it and or listen to the game

hockeyfan77

Quote from: KSCfan on April 20, 2008, 03:05:34 AM
Looking forward to wheaton and southern maine today, is it on webcast or the webradio at all cause i would like to watch it and or listen to the game

http://www.usm.maine.edu/~jkessler/athletics/

This should work, all home games are on the web via Radio...I must warn you though, the announcer is a homer but it gets the job done if you want to listen to the game...

love baseball

In regards to the NEWMAC, how do you guys feel about Babson? NEWMAC regular reason champions, 25-8, 11-1 in conference. Seemed like they kind of got the shaft for an at-large bid last year. This year they seem to be making a strong push.

ECSUalum

Quote from: hockeyfan77 on April 20, 2008, 05:51:06 AM
Quote from: KSCfan on April 20, 2008, 03:05:34 AM

http://www.usm.maine.edu/~jkessler/athletics/

This should work, all home games are on the web via Radio...I must warn you though, the announcer is a homer but it gets the job done if you want to listen to the game...

Hockyfan,

Listening to Wheaton/USM game.

3-0 Wheaton at mid 6th inn.

Have to commend you, thanks for posting the USM stream for this afternoon's game.   The USM announcers is a homer, as he should, but orders of magnitude better that the ECSU announcers.  Exciting to listen  to this afternoons game.  What a difference to listen to someone who is competent and is passionate for his team  ;D

dubbc

Hey guys been a big fan of the board for a while but never put in my input until now. Hope it's welcomed.
I find it hard to believe that someone could call wheaton overrated. (yes one word) After checking the numbers wheaton is 20-5 vs the little east since 2005.  Those numbers don't lie.  The little east is clearly a deeper conference than the NEWMAC but Wheaton can't be faulted for that because they win it every year.  In that same period of time Wheaton has a record of 109-35 while losing in a regional final, national final and regional semifinal.  Meanwhile Eastern whom i believe to be one of the best programs in the nation has a 104-55 record while making it to 2 world series.  Eastern and Wheaton have had numerous battles going back to the early 2000's when Eastern handed wheaton a heartbreaking lose in the regional finals.  
Keene State is an up and coming program and got on the map in a big way last year by knocking off wheaton twice down in Harwich,  but by no means are they in the class of Eastern or Wheaton yet but it seems like they are having another very strong year and should contend for another regional final but over the last 8 years wheaton and econn are the class of the northeast.
What wheaton has done this year to stay a premier program in the nation is pretty amazing after considering what they lost.  Podbelski had to replace 19 wins and almost 200 innings in his rotation and almost 700 at bats and 100 RBIs.  
Im looking forward to see how the rest of the season ends up with babson  hosting the conference tournament for the first time ever.  Babson is a very good team and could continue to give wheaton trouble.  In terms of the little east i have to give the edge to econn in the tournament.  They always seem to turn it on late in year and until someone beats them they should continue to control the tournament.
Hope everyone had a good weekend at the ball park and look forward to contributing to the board in the future.

ECSUalum

dubbc,

Nice job comparing and contrasting  the Wheaton program vs LEC.

I have to hand it to thier program, they have been doing a great job recruiting some of the best players in the ME/NH/MA/RI area.

Seems like starting around 2002 the program really gained straction.  What changed ?

Wheaton's record

Year   W  L  T   % 
1998 23 12 0 .657
1999 28 14 0 .667
2000 28 12 0 .700
2001 31 11 0 .738
2002 37   9 1 .798
2003 27 10 2 .720
2004 21 20 1 .512
2005 33 12 0 .733
2006 42 10 0 .808

Tot.  270 110 4 .708

NCAA College World Series: 2006 (2nd)
NCAA New England Regional Tournament Champions: 2006
NCAA Tournament: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006
ECAC Tournament: 1998, 1999
NEWMAC Tournament Champions: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006
NEWMAC Regular Season Champions: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

dubbc

I don't think any one thing has changed.  It's just the fact the program is getting older and older.  Podbelski started the program from scratch and he deserves all the credit.  I'm glad recruiting got brought up, the types of players econn ksc and the rest of the little east can recruit a lot of the time can't even be looked at by wheaton because of the academic requirements.  It is very impressive that wheaton is consistently in the running for regional titles because of the limitations on the types of student athletes that can be recruited.

on another note it seems like the wheaton usm game was exciting.  Wheaton scores one in the 9th to tie it and wins it in the 10th.  That makes 9 in a row over southern maine, yes 9.

Jcon8958

I listened to the game just a great game looks like that kid schmidt is going to be a good one there at USM. Just a great game tho

hockeyfan77

Quote from: dubbc on April 20, 2008, 04:10:35 PM
I don't think any one thing has changed.  It's just the fact the program is getting older and older.  Podbelski started the program from scratch and he deserves all the credit.  I'm glad recruiting got brought up, the types of players econn ksc and the rest of the little east can recruit a lot of the time can't even be looked at by wheaton because of the academic requirements.  It is very impressive that wheaton is consistently in the running for regional titles because of the limitations on the types of student athletes that can be recruited.

on another note it seems like the wheaton usm game was exciting.  Wheaton scores one in the 9th to tie it and wins it in the 10th.  That makes 9 in a row over southern maine, yes 9.

So that game could have gone either way, 9 in a row but USM has lost 6-5 and 5-4 to Wheaton: not like that are that much better than USM....