MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: wheels81 on March 05, 2019, 03:07:56 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2019, 12:57:09 PM
Quote from: wheels81 on March 05, 2019, 12:54:07 PM
And yet Francis is not on the all star ballot ?

Because he might be considered on the team should Thunder not make the final four.

The ballot is for the LAST spots on the team - not the first 18.

Oic, just didn't see anything about it on the page asking for votes. 
This is what it says":
"Last year, it took more than 58,000 votes to get a player into the game. You may cast one vote per browser to put a player in the 2019 Reese's® Division III College All-Star Game. Voting closes at noon ET on Thursday, March 7."

The ballot contains the top eligible player on the NABC's list from each region.

Eligibility is limited to seniors who have completed their college playing career."
IT didn't say those not in tournament, didn't mention the other 18, didn't say last spots.  Maybe not all of us are "insiders".    A little better description would help us "drive bys" :)

I agree that the messaging is not very clear.

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/03/nabc-all-star-voting

Only from reading D Mac's post - "The ballot is for the LAST spots on the team, not the first 18" do I really understand things.

Pat Coleman

In the interest of streamlining that page, we limited the large-font text. That information and more is under the voting details link.

"The two with the most votes will join 16 other seniors, two from each region, who were selected by a committee vote, for a total of nine student-athletes per side."
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Titan Q

Ron Rose and the Titans have landed Cole Khoury, a 6-8/230, athletic F/C from Columbia (IL) HS.  Khoury averaged 12.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.1 bpg this season - shot 62%. Was also a 1st team all-conf DE on the Eagles' FB team.

Nice addition to IWU's recruiting class.

* Lucas Heflen, 6-3 G, St. Charles North HS
* Cole Khoury, 6-8 F/C, Columbia HS
* Cody Mitchell, 6-6 F, St. Charles East HS
* Tommy Nelson, 6-5 F, Bloomington Central Catholic
* Ryan Verhulst, 6-3 G, Hersey HS
* Luke Yoder, 6-0 PG, Bloomington Central Catholic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Titan Q on March 06, 2019, 10:14:24 PM
Ron Rose and the Titans have landed Cole Khoury, a 6-8/230, athletic F/C from Columbia (IL) HS.  Khoury averaged 12.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.1 bpg this season - shot 62%. Was also a 1st team all-conf DE on the Eagles' FB team.

Nice addition to IWU's recruiting class.

* Lucas Heflen, 6-3 G, St. Charles North HS
* Cole Khoury, 6-8 F/C, Columbia HS
* Cody Mitchell, 6-6 F, St. Charles East HS
* Tommy Nelson, 6-5 F, Bloomington Central Catholic
* Ryan Verhulst, 6-3 G, Hersey HS
* Luke Yoder, 6-0 PG, Bloomington Central Catholic

Any word on whether he plans to play for Norm Eash as well as Ron Rose?

mwunder

Quote from: augie77 on March 07, 2019, 11:04:42 AM
It's interesting that CCIW coaches discussed  naming this triumverate collectively to the All Conference Team.

https://qctimes.com/sports/college/augustana/three-centers-are-better-than-one-for-augie-men-s/article_0eaefd77-71ab-5f37-a624-c7a552f71e4b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR3rz2ZnxliRVRSSpkMfmzZL-o_5vqQYgCAUgOtkkVaV57cqhb-Q4mrlLKk

Not to nit-pick, but the article says "one coach" wanted to, so, to your point, yes it may have been discussed, but only due to the obtuseness of a lone wolf.  This is just further evidence that the collective coaches obviously had their head's up their collective backsides when the voting occurred this season which resulted in a certain Carthage player being named second team.

GoPerry

Here we go at Carver tonight.

By the extremely high standard that he's set this season, Francis' last 4 visits to Carver (3 vs Vikes, 1 NCC) have been just ok to slightly below average offensively.  Wooster last w/e wasn't one of his better ones either so I'll be interested to see (hoping) if he's due for a really good one.  A better box score however would probably be something like 30 pts on 25 shots for him while 2-3 other players score in double figures.  One or both of the Lukes with 12-15 pts would surely be welcome.  Breakout game for Adom perhaps?  Spencers and Eichelberger need to be tough on the boards. Even so, that still might not be enough against a super solid Augustana playing at home. 

Wheaton and Guilford, the only unranked teams left. I would think the Thunder would be 5-6 pt 'dogs, maybe more.  Wheaton playing with some confidence so I'm hoping for a final 2 mins with a chance to win.

No D3Hoops cover story jinx please! Thanks for the nice article Nathan Ford.

#swallowthewhistle, #nofoultrouble

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoPerry on March 08, 2019, 12:00:49 PMI would think the Thunder would be 5-6 pt 'dogs, maybe more.

You nailed it, GP. Massey sez:

Augustana 79, Wheaton 73 (AC 72%, WC 28%)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Yogao

Quote from: GoPerry on March 08, 2019, 12:00:49 PM

Which team would benefit more if the whistle was swallowed tonight? Orange is the best option of trying to slow down Francis, and without foul trouble and less free throws being shot, I would think it would favor Augie more than if the refs were whistle happy. Although Augie also has the depth to overcome a lot of fouls.

Having to beat a team a 3rd time especially seeing what Francis can do is not a very comfortable feeling.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Yogao on March 08, 2019, 12:36:55 PM

Which team would benefit more if the whistle was swallowed tonight? Orange is the best option of trying to slow down Francis, and without foul trouble and less free throws being shot, I would think it would favor Augie more than if the refs were whistle happy. Although Augie also has the depth to overcome a lot of fouls.

Having to beat a team a 3rd time especially seeing what Francis can do is not a very comfortable feeling.

Don't bet the whistles are swallowed. Officials are still working DIII games at this point in the season because they know how the call the game well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

It's a tradeoff. Augustana is by far the more physical team of the two in terms of defense, so it's likely that a tightly-officiated game would rack up the fouls on Augie and send Wheaton to the foul line fairly early in each half. Worse, from Augie's point of view, is that free throws are the secret sauce on the Francisburger. Regardless of how well he's shooting from beyond the arc (which has a lot to do with whether he's able to shoot them from 21 feet away or from Moline), or how often he has a chance to finish at the rim, if he's given ample opportunity to get to the charity stripe he will make his scoring efficient, no matter how low his shooting percentage from the field happens to be. Augie did a nice job of keeping Francis off the line in the first two games, but that's no guarantee that he won't be repeatedly toeing the stripe this evening. So if Augie's constantly being called for fouling Francis, then he goes from being Aston Francis to being ASTON FRANCIS, and Giovanine's sportcoat is probably flung so forcefully that it's hanging from the Carver gondola scoreboard.

The upsides for Augie in a whistle-happy game are: 1) Some of those fouls would undoubtedly be called on Spencer Peterson, Anajuwon Spencer, and Trevor Gunter for trying to grapple unsuccessfully with the home team's behemoths in the blocks (especially if Ebel and Orange are allowed to penetrate deep and dump or if said behemoths show the necessary alacrity in getting up the court in transition in order to establish good post positioning); and 2) as you noted, Augie has the depth to withstand a foul-calls-by-the-truckload sort of game, and Wheaton doesn't.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Marmac

When facing Wheaton and Francis, familiarity seems to help rather than hinder the opposing team. It's tough to prepare for guarding Francis when you haven't faced him, or a player like him, before. He has struggled to get shots to fall against Augie, mainly because of Orange's defense.

I suspect Francis will feast at the FT line, keeping the game close, but Augie will prevail by something along the lines of 84-78.

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 08, 2019, 01:08:42 PM

It's a tradeoff. Augustana is by far the more physical team of the two in terms of defense, so it's likely that a tightly-officiated game would rack up the fouls on Augie and send Wheaton to the foul line fairly early in each half. Worse, from Augie's point of view, is that free throws are the secret sauce on the Francisburger. Regardless of how well he's shooting from beyond the arc (which has a lot to do with whether he's able to shoot them from 21 feet away or from Moline), or how often he has a chance to finish at the rim, if he's given ample opportunity to get to the charity stripe he will make his scoring efficient, no matter how low his shooting percentage from the field happens to be. Augie did a nice job of keeping Francis off the line in the first two games, but that's no guarantee that he won't be repeatedly toeing the stripe this evening. So if Augie's constantly being called for fouling Francis, then he goes from being Aston Francis to being ASTON FRANCIS, and Giovanine's sportcoat is probably flung so forcefully that it's hanging from the Carver gondola scoreboard.

The upsides for Augie in a whistle-happy game are: 1) Some of those fouls would undoubtedly be called on Spencer Peterson, Anajuwon Spencer, and Trevor Gunter for trying to grapple unsuccessfully with the home team's behemoths in the blocks (especially if Ebel and Orange are allowed to penetrate deep and dump or if said behemoths show the necessary alacrity in getting up the court in transition in order to establish good post positioning); and 2) as you noted, Augie has the depth to withstand a foul-calls-by-the-truckload sort of game, and Wheaton doesn't.

This was precisely my thinking GS.  I don't think Wheaton has the frontcourt depth, especially size, that Augie does. 

The 85% plus foul shooter puts so much pressure on an opposing team that's either trailing or trying to protect a thin lead.  Players like Francis, Ebel, Raridon, Brady Rose handling the ball with a thin lead late is akin to a top baseball closer. 

I also had in mind the NCC game 2 weeks ago where the refs got very whistle happy in the second half.  So for the teams and spectators alike, I'm hoping that doesn't repeat.

Titan Q

I think Augustana is better positioned to guard Aston Francis than just about every other team in Division III. 

Most teams have zero players who can guard him.  Augie has 4 different/unique options:
- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick
- 6-2 Chrishawn Orange - athletic/physical
- 6-6 Brett Benning - tall, long
- 6-4 Pierson Wofford - the whole package (long, athletic, quick, physical)

I am not saying any of these guys can shut him down...but each guy can make it hard on him.  And between the 4, they can give him a lot of different looks to deal with.

Titan Q

I think Wheaton will be able to score - Augie has all kinds of bad matchups here in trying to stop Wheaton.  But I have no idea how Wheaton can possibly stop Augie from scoring more points.  The Vikings are just too big and physical for the Thunder.

I see Augustana winning comfortably.