MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I got a chance to sit down with St. Thomas coach John Tauer at the Hoopsville National Invitational Classic this past weekend. Check out his interview and the rest of the Hoopsville Coach's Corner (which substituted for this Sunday's show) here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/coachs-corner
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Kilroy

Big high school hoops event at Minnetonka H.S. on Dec. 12... Breakdown Tip-Off. There will be many future MIAC players at this thing, if anyone's interested! Many (if not most) of the best teams in the state play in the afternoon.

http://www.breakdownsportsusa.com/news_article/show/561621?referrer_id=166554
Twitter: @northstaralex

SUMMIT!!!!!

great game tonight in Arden hills between 2 teams that should both be ranked in the top 30 at worst. I was extremely impressed with BU, who looked solid despite the absence of Wojta. the big FY Magnuson is gonna be a DOMINANT force in the paint...I look forward to him and young Weiss of SJU knocking each other around over the next couple of seasons.  And (this may give AO a coronary) I really liked watching UNW (NWU?) play....they are gonna be tough as heck for the next few years or more. A pair of excellent coaches, nearly full house and a great atmosphere.

When NWern's Sprenger hefted up a potential buzzer-beating 3 in the dying seconds, my inner Tommie was getting violently ill  :)   luckily it fell off and BU escaped with the W.

Maniac's preseason projection of final standings:
1. UST
2. SJU
3. BU
4. CORD
5. OLAF
6. GAC & CAR
8. AUGS
9. HAM
10. SMU & MAC (tie)

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

GoldandBlueBU

It was a fun one to watch last night at BU...could have gone either way.  I thought BU was going to put them away when they were up 10 with 5 minutes left, but UNW clawed their way back.  Magnuson had a great night, assuming that he is still early in the learning curve, he should be a very good player for 4 years for BU.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they've gone 5-0 (only 1 of those being a cupcake) without Wojta, and I think it will be good for them that they've learned to function on offense without him, as he's made a lot happen on that end of the court historically.  I still have no details on his injury, but noticed that at the Buena Vista game, he was on crutches, and he is not using them anymore.  Certainly hope he's back soon...maybe they were targeting Saturday's conference opener?  (doubt it, but that'd be nice).

Agree with your standings at 1 & 2, but do you really think Olaf will finish 5th?  Maybe you're like me in thinking that BU - CORD - OLAF are all really quite close and could end up anywhere in the 3-5 slots?

Feels good to have hoops rolling again!

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on December 02, 2015, 12:49:15 AM
  And (this may give AO a coronary) I really liked watching UNW (NWU?) play....they are gonna be tough as heck for the next few years or more. A pair of excellent coaches, nearly full house and a great atmosphere.
UNW (we even put it on the front of the jerseys to clear up the confusion),  and why would I be bothered by that?
Quote from: miacmaniac on December 02, 2015, 12:49:15 AM
the big FY Magnuson is gonna be a DOMINANT force in the paint...I look forward to him and young Weiss of SJU knocking each other around over the next couple of seasons.
He was great, but I think we're making the MIAC posts look good.  Ziegler from GAC went 9-9 against us and FY Isaac Brooks from Hamline went 9-13. 

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on December 02, 2015, 09:10:40 AM
I thought BU was going to put them away when they were up 10 with 5 minutes left,
I was thinking the same thing.  Bethel going 5-17 from the stripe definitely helped narrow the margin.  Disappointed we couldn't get a few more shots to fall down the stretch but at least the rivalry grew.  Hopefully there won't be another 10 year stretch between games.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: AO on December 02, 2015, 10:01:29 AM
I was thinking the same thing.  Bethel going 5-17 from the stripe definitely helped narrow the margin.  Disappointed we couldn't get a few more shots to fall down the stretch but at least the rivalry grew.  Hopefully there won't be another 10 year stretch between games.

Ughhh...that really was hard to watch Tusler, VSP, and Hall all choke away key free throws toward the end.  That was a spot it would have been really, really nice to have Wojta to get the ball to, who has historically been very good in those spots.

I certainly hope they keep scheduling the game...I understand why BU dropped UNW as a football regular back in the 90's, but there's no reason they shouldn't be playing other sports.  It's a fun rivalry given all of the similarities.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on December 02, 2015, 09:10:40 AM
It was a fun one to watch last night at BU...could have gone either way.  I thought BU was going to put them away when they were up 10 with 5 minutes left, but UNW clawed their way back.  Magnuson had a great night, assuming that he is still early in the learning curve, he should be a very good player for 4 years for BU.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they've gone 5-0 (only 1 of those being a cupcake) without Wojta, and I think it will be good for them that they've learned to function on offense without him, as he's made a lot happen on that end of the court historically.  I still have no details on his injury, but noticed that at the Buena Vista game, he was on crutches, and he is not using them anymore.  Certainly hope he's back soon...maybe they were targeting Saturday's conference opener?  (doubt it, but that'd be nice).

Agree with your standings at 1 & 2, but do you really think Olaf will finish 5th?  Maybe you're like me in thinking that BU - CORD - OLAF are all really quite close and could end up anywhere in the 3-5 slots?

Feels good to have hoops rolling again!
Pretty much correct....but I'd say BU could challenge SJU for 2nd, while OLAF & CORD battle for 4/5th.

Also, I think 3 MIAC teams will make the NCAA field  :)

UST flexed its muscle tonight vs CORD tonight....hitting 60% from the field and behind the arc and going 17 of 19 form the line. Saarela stated his =case for MIAC POY with a 20 & 9 night and a hot hand shooting. Some solid play in the paint that had Poppa Hoops reliving his HS days (he is now in his alma mater's HALL OF FAME for his outstanding play on the court). Could be a big battle with Carleton Sat, especially after the Knights knocked off the Johnnies... Chen and FTs look to be the difference there.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

GoldandBlueBU

I hadn't done this until now, but based on looking at the Cobber's schedule / results thus far, lumping them in as fighting for 3rd might be a stretch.  They lost by 20+ to UST, and barely beat lowly North Central.  Their game against BU on Saturday will likely be a better gauge for them as to how they'll do against the upper half of the MIAC than the game vs. UST, who I would estimate as being a couple of steps ahead of anyone in the conference. 

I do think SJU will really push UST, once the season is really rolling, given all of the experience they returned, and their good overall size.

Haven't seen anything of Carleton this year, but last year they struck me as playing very, very smart and well executed basketball, and by virtue of that, succeeding even though they didn't have the most talented players.  Chen impressed me vs BU last year.  High basketball IQ...not super athletic, but plays solid ball.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Teams are finally settling into the season, but that doesn't mean things have gotten easier. Tonight on Hoopsville, Dave returns from the Wendy's Classic where he talked to those who helped wrap up the historic tournament. He also chats with those showing heir strength early in the campaign and pulling off upsets.

Hoopsville hits the air at 7PM ET! www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/dec6

Guests include (in order):

- Guy Kalland, Carleton men's coach
- Bob Quillman, Central Region Reporter
- Jimmy Smith, Texas Lutheran men's coach
- Anthony Ewing, No. 10 Univ. of New England women's coach
- Scott Hemer, SUNY Geneseo women's coach
- Luke Flockerzi, Rochester men's coach
- J.C. DeLass, East Region Reporter

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
SoundCloud (podcast): www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

AND our podcast as been approved for iTunes!!! You should be able to find it... but here is a link, just in case: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Drake Palmer

Although I've seen a handful of games on the net, I finally got a chance to see my first live D3 action this past weekend when I watched UST take on Carleton in St. Paul.  Carleton came away with a thrilling 67-66 last second win on Jr Wing Mitchell Biewen's reverse layup.  Props to a heady, Carleton club that never got down on itself and kept patiently working the ball around and sticking to their game plan.  Good old, flex cuts with some high low action gave them good looks on the inside and wide open jumpers on the outside.  SO post 6-8 Kevin Grow is going to be a formidable beast to deal with for the next three seasons, and JR 6-5 Tianen Chen is a nice/strong complementary post player, along with SR John Eckert. The Carlies great ball movement gave them some absolutely wide open looks from the perimeter as Biewen, Peter Bakker- Arkema, and Beau (who?  ;)) Smit drained some timely jumpers.

On the Tommie side of things, SR post Ryan Saarela had his hands full dealing with the interior presence of Grow and the other Carleton biggs and was in foul trouble much of the night –  2 pts, 3 PF, 8 rebs, 21 minutes of play.  As a result, the Tommies were forced to go to their bench. Although the new posts looked promising, 6-4 JR Ryan Johnson, 6-6 SR Cullen Ogren, and I like 6-6 JR Jordan Burich a lot, too often the Tommie guards were caught doubling down in the post, and didn't recover quickly enough out to the perimeter.

Obviously UST will still be the team to beat in the MIAC, but the lack of an elite, shutdown perimeter defender/s i.e. John Nance, Lonnie Robinson et al could be their eventual downfall. I like what St. Thomas can do defensively in the paint, and I think Ryan Saarela is top notch. UST has the talent to develop another strong post player to work with him, but guard play is what is going to make or break UST.  Think Northwestern upset over UST last spring in the NCAA tourney.

Should be a dandy Wednesday night when Carleton travels over to UW River Falls to take on the Falcons. SR post Jon Christensen just went off for 40 pts & 14 rebs against Hamline on Saturday.  The week before Christensen scored 20pts & 8 rebs against St Olaf in their 80-77 win in Northfield. The Tommies will follow up and play at UWRF on Saturday, and then will travel to perennial national powerhouse UW Stevens Point next week.  Should be interesting couple of weeks before the holiday break.

https://apps.carleton.edu/athletics/varsity_sports/mens_basketball/schedule_and_results/?story_id=1351018&event_id=1275563

Watch how Bakker- Arkema is guarded bringing the ball up and how Biewen is defended on the screen that gets him open for the game winning basket. Ouch for UST, great design by Coach Kalland, and execution by the Knights.
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

fredfalcon

Good report, DP. I'm looking forward to both upcoming games w/MIAC opponents. After RF's dismal performance vs. Bethel, I lost some of my enthusiasm for Falcon prospects. But, even without their best all around player, Erickson, RF has come on strong lately. Christensen, especially, has greatly improved from 13+ pts. per game last year to 23+ this year. Of course, 7 non-conference games a season do not a make.

Carleton looks very strong, now with their 2-0 record vs. the top two favorites in the MIAC. Rick Bowen, former Falcon coach, gave me 7.5 points and took RF for a buck after I touted Carleton's prospects vs. RF in our coffee group discussion. It's a win/win for me, but I'd rather lose the bet.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

GoldandBlueBU

BU picks up the win vs. Gustavus last night, still w/ out Wojta.  Now that he's missed a whole month of games, I'm beginning to wonder if he's got something more serious going on w/ his injury?  Have to think it's more than a simple sprained ankle at this point.  Hopefully he's back once the season picks up in January.

SJU next will be a stiff test with all of their experience and size, and on the road.  I'd have to go with the Johnnies at this point, but hope I'm wrong.

BETHEL34

Wojta had Microscopic surgery on his Meniscus.  I heard he was on pace to return after the Christmas break.

First time BU has ever started 7-0.  Hard to believe with all the cup cake non conference games we used to play in the past.   ::)  I still get to a handful of games each year and I really enjoy the fast pace of play that Novak has implemented.  I also love the addition of the 30 second shot clock and how much that impacts the game. Would have made pressing full court every possession make a lot more sense to me.

Looks to be another dog fight for that 2-4 position like it is most years.  Maybe this will be the yr the Tommies get knocked off as the regular season champs.  Would be refreshing to see a different school at the top one of these years.  :)
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." - MJ

Drake Palmer

Quote from: BETHEL34 on December 10, 2015, 02:50:52 PM
Wojta had Microscopic surgery on his Meniscus.  I heard he was on pace to return after the Christmas break.

First time BU has ever started 7-0.  Hard to believe with all the cup cake non conference games we used to play in the past.   ::)  I still get to a handful of games each year and I really enjoy the fast pace of play that Novak has implemented.  I also love the addition of the 30 second shot clock and how much that impacts the game. Would have made pressing full court every possession make a lot more sense to me.

Looks to be another dog fight for that 2-4 position like it is most years.  Maybe this will be the yr the Tommies get knocked off as the regular season champs.  Would be refreshing to see a different school at the top one of these years.  :)

Wow, I had to pick my chin off the floor. Bethel34, a blast from the past!  Could this mark the return of CMob, Wonka, Sumander, along with a cast of others?  Nah, probably that 7-0 record for Bethel has done it more than anything.  ;D Welcome back Bet 34, hope you can stick around for a bit.

The word on the street is that Derek Magnuson is the real deal & should provide plenty of fireworks when he goes up against the Jays' Tyler Weiss in the paint. Without Wojta in the lineup, aside from Tusler, who is a muscular 5-11, the other Bethel guards are smallish, so it will be interesting to see how well they'll match up and defend against the Jays.

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

GoldandBlueBU

Yes, the Kuck and Risinger (sp?) matchups concern me.  Schmitt is very good, but I think they've got the speed to stick with him.  Lots of tall guys on the SJU squad...and it feels (I'm not interested in doing the work of looking at historical scores to back that up) like Bethel fails to perform well at Collegeville.