MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugenerd

NEWMAC's weekly report came out again today.  Jimmy Bartolotta is again ranked in 8 of 9 categories reported, while Ryan Cain is ranked in 5 of the 9.  Here is a summary of the individual rankings of the two player of the year candidates, with the NEWMAC rank in parenthesis:

Bartolotta                Cain
Scoring          21.0 (1st)            20.3 (2nd)
Assists           4.4 (3rd)                   NR
FG%                   NR                  0.511 (7th)
Steals             1.8 (6th)                  NR
Rebounds         8.4 (3rd)                  NR
3P FG%         0.390 (4th)          0.445 (2nd)
3P FG              1.6 (8th)               2.3 (3rd)
FT%               0.882 (1st)          0.850 (3rd)
Blocks              1.1 (4th)                 NR

As you can see above, Bartolotta has the edge in 6 of the 9 categories (and is ranked in 2 others where Cain is ranked higher).

hugenerd

MIT beats Clark tonight in the first round of the NEWMAC Tournament, at Clark.  Jimmy Bartolotta had 24 points (8-15 FG, 7-8 FT), 11 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals.

clarkie

Just a bad night for the Cougars...

Maybe next year?

Also Bartolotta for MVP for sure.

hugenerd

All the lower seeded teams won tonight, MIT, CGA, and Wheaton. 

atn alum

Yeah, go figure on that...6 vs 7 for the right to go to the finals...who'd have thought?

and we get the nice subplot of watching the 2 best in the league go toe-to-toe in the other semi...

cheeks14

Cain Vs. Barlotta round 3

I'm VERY surprised about all 3 road teams winning in the first round.  MIT doesn't match up well with WPI.  I can't see WPI losing at home in either of the next 2 games.

hugenerd

Quote from: cheeks14 on February 22, 2007, 01:09:25 AM
Cain Vs. Barlotta round 3

I'm VERY surprised about all 3 road teams winning in the first round.  MIT doesn't match up well with WPI.  I can't see WPI losing at home in either of the next 2 games.

MIT doesnt match up well with anybody, they only have 5 players who play more than 5 minutes.  It is tough to match up against anyone when all of your players play 40 minutes.

clarkie

If MIT beat WPI, I think someone (even if it is just a student) should make a movie about the story...what a Cinderella that would be.

The small town kid from Colorado and his four teammates (2 of whom are pretty good themselves) beat the big bad nationally ranked team.

I would love it and then Bartolotta could finally get the exposure he needs to beat Cain for MVP.

smarshall

I'm glad to see Huge Nerd's Man Crush on Jimmy B has spread.

If everyone feels this way, they should start sending letters to the Head Coaches, instead of writing about it.

cheeks14

clarkie you seem to forget that this is college basketball so stuff happens like this all the time and I don't think MIT beating WPI would be movie worthy.  You seem to forget George Mason last year.

With that said, I think MIT has no chance, they have 3 good players buts WPI throws 7 good players out there.

I also do agree Bartlotta has had a great year, but why are you out to get Ryan Cain so much??

hugenerd

Quote from: smarshall on February 22, 2007, 10:02:56 AM
I'm glad to see Huge Nerd's Man Crush on Jimmy B has spread.

If everyone feels this way, they should start sending letters to the Head Coaches, instead of writing about it.

Man Crush or not, Jimmy B is better than Cain.  I have numbers to prove it.  POY is an individual award not a team award.

clarkie

I know George Mason and I know college sports, but I do just love the idea of MIT (yes the number one engineering school in the country where kids don't play basketball to do an academic internship) winning. This is not to take any credit away from WPI, they are a great school academically as well as athletic wise.

My beef with Ryan Cain. Well he did decide between Clark and WPI so of course I am a bit jealous. But also, he acts like such an ungracious punk when he plays. Bartolotta complains too, but he just seems so much more gracious about it. Ryan Cain is a great basketball player, but as it has been said before the team would still be good (maybe not as good, but good). Jimmy Bartolotta is MIT.

As for not just jibberjabbering on D3Hoops, I may just feel compelled to call Coach Phillips and tell him to vote for Bartolotta. I'll talk the talk and walk the walk.

Here's hoping for Coast Guard to upset'em all!

cheeks14

It does impress me that the MIT players are really smart AND can play basketball.  However, your comment about doing academics as an internship doesn't apply to the NEWMAC I feel. 

First off, it is Division 3 basketball so they can't get money for playing.  That means that they are all playing for the love of the game.  Also, I know that WPI, MIT, and Clark are very good schools academically and fairly difficult to get into so the players on all these teams are good student athletes.  I'm sorry but I don't know as much about the other schools' academic programs so I can't speak for them.  I think it is more impressive that the players for Coast Guard are doing something like that for their country and are also good at basketball.  It impresses me that MIT and CGA had students that chose alternative plans this year instead of playing basketball because it shows that basketball isn't the most important things in their lives. 

Also, speaking of Ryan Cain he just got nominated for the Jostens Trophy which shows that he is a very good student athlete.  Lets just wait and see for POY and lets see how the coaches view these two players.  I just think it will be weird if Bartlotta wins POY and Cain gets some sort of All-American recognition which I think is still a strong possibilty.

hugenerd

Quote from: cheeks14 on February 22, 2007, 01:29:48 PM
It does impress me that the MIT players are really smart AND can play basketball.  However, your comment about doing academics as an internship doesn't apply to the NEWMAC I feel. 

I believe he was referring to the player on MIT who left the team this year, in January, to do an internship.  I am all for basketball not being your whole life, but if you make a commitment, you should follow it through.

Quote from: cheeks14 on February 22, 2007, 01:29:48 PM
Also, speaking of Ryan Cain he just got nominated for the Jostens Trophy which shows that he is a very good student athlete.  Lets just wait and see for POY and lets see how the coaches view these two players.  I just think it will be weird if Bartlotta wins POY and Cain gets some sort of All-American recognition which I think is still a strong possibilty.

The Jostens Award is a completely different type of award than a POY award, it is not a good gauge of a players accomplishments in a single season.  This award is usually given out to a senior and is the equivalent of a career achievement award.  So Cain being a candidate for the award should have no bearing on the POY race in the NEWMAC.  Also, I do not think that something seeming "weird" is a good gauge to go by either.  Last year, for example, Mike Dauria was named Northeast player of the year, yet Bedford from Amherst was 3rd team all-america and dauria was 4th team all-america.  It all depends on who is voting.

Some voters will say that the top player in the conference cant be from the fourth or fifth best team and that the POY has to be on the top team.  These voters will vote for Cain.  Others will look at the award as an individual award and only look at objective criteria, such as stats from the entire year, when making their decision. These people will vote for Bartolotta.  It all depends on how people vote and we wont know that until next week.  I think everyone knows by now that, in my opinion, when you compare Bartolotta's stats to Cain's, Jimmy B's stats are just so much better overall (when you consider all categories, offensive and defensive) that I dont know how you could justify not giving the award to him(whether he be on the first place team or the last place team). 

atn alum

Newmac semis and finals will be broadcast...it will be a busy 2 days, with the 4 semis (men's and women's) and the 2 finals

http://sportsjuice.com

Feel free to tune in.